• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Kaz32

Short length games thread. List short games both good and bad that you have played.

27 posts in this topic

Since people are now having a bit of a flame war about the recent MGS game, I figured why not have a little thread about games with short length!

Here's the rules: say whichever short length games you had in mind both good and bad. Give a mini reason of why you think the games are good or bad. I'll start first:

Good: Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes. Sure the campaign is short, only 1-2 hours or so, but the gameplay is still fucking good, the graphic is gorgeous, there's neat collectibles to find within the main mission, side missions that you can get high ranks for depending on the difficulty and your performance to get more unlockables, and it just makes you wanting Phantom Pain more and more.

Portal. 2-3 hours, but the hilarious GLados, adorable turrets and the end song makes it all worthwhile.

007 Quantum of Solace. One of the best underrated licensed games I have ever played. The transition between fps mode and third person cover mode is solid like in New Vegas, the melee system is great, lots of fun set pieces based on the movie and the gunplay is fun as hell. Unfortunately it's only 2-3 hours long, but it's a great 2-3 hours that you will want to replay again.

Braid & Limbo. Beautifully made platformer game with excellent story, graphic and music. Only 2-4 hours depending in how good you are, or less, but it's an experience worth playing. And there's collectables too which will give you the alternate ending in Braid, one of which is to wait for 2 hours on a cloud.

The Stanley Parable. Only 5-10 minutes per ending with maximum 2-3 hours total gameplay, or 7 if you push the button if you decided to save the baby and piranha, but a fun time nevertheless. Screw around with the narrator and get hilarity after hilarity.

Gone home. Nostalgic 90's game that has everything from that era. 2 hours only though with no replayability, but it's still fun to see the nostalgic things in the game.

Bad: "inhale" "exhale".... This is going to make me angry just remembering about them. Thankfully there's only 2, and these 2 made me cautious when buying games that I always never pay full price for them afterwards, unless they're really2 big releases.

Kane and Lynch 2. Only 3 HOOOOOUUUURS of 2 dudes running around China because they're fucking stupid. It ends with them running away with a plane, and end credits. I paid $80 on this game, on PC so I can't trade it for $30 after I finished it. I immediately tried to sell it on a garage sale. No one wants it. Thankfully 2 years later I sell it, for $1. Curse this fucking game.

Rogue Warrior......... This game is made by retards from a mental asylum. The swear the main character made is so pathetic I actually got sick listening to it, like as in physically ill that I want to vomit. The gameplay could have been good because it's like Rainbow Six New Vegas, but it's super buggy, when you aim at someone it mostly misses, the enemy is either so dumb they run to walls or can kill you instantly, and it's over in only 1 HOOOOUUUUR. I paid $90 for this game on my Xbox and I am so scarred I immediately trade this piece of shit for Mortal Kombat Vs DC, and I'm glad I did.

So what's your personal short games both good and bad? Let us know and maybe we'll check these games out for ourselves! The good ones of course.

I don't buy games that have been declared as short.

Personally I see 2 hours, no matter how good people say the game is, as a waste of my money.

I bought Dungeon Siege 3, it took me 6 hours including all side missions and that pissed me off.

I do tend to have a bt of spare time so when I sit down to a game I expect that game to keep me occupied for a good length of time. 2 hours isn't a good length of time. 

That's why I mainly play RPG's and some MMO's. I can sink hours into them and they keep me going. 

ofFireandStone likes this

I don't buy games that have been declared as short.

Personally I see 2 hours, no matter how good people say the game is, as a waste of my money.

I bought Dungeon Siege 3, it took me 6 hours including all side missions and that pissed me off.

I do tend to have a bt of spare time so when I sit down to a game I expect that game to keep me occupied for a good length of time. 2 hours isn't a good length of time.

That's why I mainly play RPG's and some MMO's. I can sink hours into them and they keep me going.

Ah ah ah, you're not following the rules. List good and bad short games you have played. If you can't, well you can at least try mentioning your favorite old snes and sega games that only take 30 minutes to 1 hour to beat.

At the moment, the only short games I remember playing are Journey, flOw, and Flower. Out of those 3, Journey is by far my favorite, despite playing it just once. Whether those games are "good" is subjective however...

Twisted Chi and DemonsColt like this

Bastion - I just loved the music and the storytelling of that game. It does have a new game+ mode which basically doubles the play time, but it's still not very long.

FTL - can't really describe why I like it, I just do.

F.E.A.R. 2 & 3 - second game had a rather nice gameplay in my opinion. While it doesn't has the horror from the first game, it still is rather tense at times. Third game was even more action and even less horror, but still plenty solid. Combat is fun for the most part and the psychic powers are quite enjoyable as well. Co-op is rather enjoyable as well.

There are probably some other 'short' games that I've enjoyed, but I can't remember them all.

As for the bad games - not really sure to be honest. Can't think of any.

Metroid NES
Metroid Zero Mission
Super Metroid

Wonder Boy in Monster Land 2
Wonder Boy 3: Monster Land 5

All short games.
Hell, Ninja Warriors Again, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat etc, all short games!
There are sooo many short games that all are awesome. People who want 80+ hour games - What are they doing with their time?

Thomas was Alone was absolutely fantastic. Really enjoyed it.

Ratchet and clank into the nexus. It has it's flaws but I thought it was really good. I love the dark tone of it and the characters. I love the art style. It's just fun and there is variety even though it's short. I beat it twice. Also you can get a jet pack which is something I've always wanted in ratchet and clank. It's sort of an epilogue to the ps3 ratchet and clank games and there is even a museum you go through that has a history of things from all the games I thought was really neat.

Ratchet and clank quest for booty is a good short game too. It almost seemed like a dlc to tools of destruction since the guns you get in it are the same as that game. It fills a story gap inbetween tools of destruction and crack in time. It's fun and I liked the colors and graphics of it. The game is very pirate themed. Part of it you are on a little island and other parts you are in some spooky pirate caves. The only thing that kind of sucks is clank isn't on your back so the platforming is a little weird without him. And it doesn't have a bunch of side activities, arenas, collectables, or challenge mod like into the nexus to give it more replay value.

Spelunky is a side scrolling platformer and you can beat it in 30-40 minutes probably. But in reality you will spend like 20 hours being addicted to it playing over and over again failing. You only have one life and you have to start the whole game over. But the levels are randomly generated so everytime you play it's different. and it's designed in a way in which you play and fail and learn the mechanics and how to deal with things like enemies and obstacles and how things work. It has a neat sense of discovery. It also gives you a sense of choice and each play through almost feels like a story with all the weird things that can happen. As you play and make it to new worlds multiple times eventually you can open short cuts to those worlds though to give you a chance.

Journey, Halo 3 ODST, and Portal 1 are the good ones for me. Journey was a very cool and orignial game so I could forgive the length. ODST was a terrific shooter and an awesome game, I still think it should've been DLC though. Lasty, I don't think I need to justify Portal 1.

I can't really think about the bad ones however.

At the moment, the only short games I remember playing are Journey, flOw, and Flower. Out of those 3, Journey is by far my favorite, despite playing it just once. Whether those games are "good" is subjective however...

Hotline Miami  :)

Bastion - I just loved the music and the storytelling of that game. It does have a new game+ mode which basically doubles the play time, but it's still not very long.

FTL - can't really describe why I like it, I just do.

F.E.A.R. 2 & 3 - second game had a rather nice gameplay in my opinion. While it doesn't has the horror from the first game, it still is rather tense at times. Third game was even more action and even less horror, but still plenty solid. Combat is fun for the most part and the psychic powers are quite enjoyable as well. Co-op is rather enjoyable as well.

There are probably some other 'short' games that I've enjoyed, but I can't remember them all.

As for the bad games - not really sure to be honest. Can't think of any.

Metroid NES

Metroid Zero Mission

Super Metroid

Wonder Boy in Monster Land 2

Wonder Boy 3: Monster Land 5

All short games.

Hell, Ninja Warriors Again, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat etc, all short games!

There are sooo many short games that all are awesome. People who want 80+ hour games - What are they doing with their time?

Thomas was Alone was absolutely fantastic. Really enjoyed it.

Ratchet and clank into the nexus. It has it's flaws but I thought it was really good. I love the dark tone of it and the characters. I love the art style. It's just fun and there is variety even though it's short. I beat it twice. Also you can get a jet pack which is something I've always wanted in ratchet and clank. It's sort of an epilogue to the ps3 ratchet and clank games and there is even a museum you go through that has a history of things from all the games I thought was really neat.

Ratchet and clank quest for booty is a good short game too. It almost seemed like a dlc to tools of destruction since the guns you get in it are the same as that game. It fills a story gap inbetween tools of destruction and crack in time. It's fun and I liked the colors and graphics of it. The game is very pirate themed. Part of it you are on a little island and other parts you are in some spooky pirate caves. The only thing that kind of sucks is clank isn't on your back so the platforming is a little weird without him. And it doesn't have a bunch of side activities, arenas, collectables, or challenge mod like into the nexus to give it more replay value.

Spelunky is a side scrolling platformer and you can beat it in 30-40 minutes probably. But in reality you will spend like 20 hours being addicted to it playing over and over again failing. You only have one life and you have to start the whole game over. But the levels are randomly generated so everytime you play it's different. and it's designed in a way in which you play and fail and learn the mechanics and how to deal with things like enemies and obstacles and how things work. It has a neat sense of discovery. It also gives you a sense of choice and each play through almost feels like a story with all the weird things that can happen. As you play and make it to new worlds multiple times eventually you can open short cuts to those worlds though to give you a chance.

O_O

So..... You guys haven't played any bad short games? How is that possible?? How about Harry Potter Deathly Hallows, Shaq Fu, Leisure Suite Larry where he's in the movies, 007 Legends, Dragon Ball Kinect, or the latest Rambo game?

O_O

So..... You guys haven't played any bad short games? How is that possible?? How about Harry Potter Deathly Hallows, Shaq Fu, Leisure Suite Larry where he's in the movies, 007 Legends, Dragon Ball Kinect, or the latest Rambo game?

I do research about my games before I buy them. I've played bad games, but they aren't short; they take forever.

Kaz32 likes this

The Plan

Short, sweet, and then it becomes an interpreted mess of the meaning of life, or the lack there of. Without doing anything asides from giving you a title screen and credits.

And it's free! Steam only iirc?

Kaz32 likes this

I do research about my games before I buy them. I've played bad games, but they aren't short; they take forever.

Good on you! Always plan ahead before buying a game. Don't make the same mistake I did with those 2 games I foolishly bought.

The Plan

Short, sweet, and then it becomes an interpreted mess of the meaning of life, or the lack there of. Without doing anything asides from giving you a title screen and credits.

And it's free! Steam only iirc?

Do you mean this?

http://www.krillbite.com/theplan/

Looks interesting. I'll check it out on youtube since I'm far away from my PC. Thanks for mentioning it!

O_O

Because Retro games are usually better than new school games.

As some mentioned Journey is by far my favourite "short" game but it is relative because this game is something special. It doesn't matter how long it is as long as you enjoy the ride to the finish. I for myself get into some kind of zen status when I play it.

DemonsColt likes this

Because Retro games are usually better than new school games.

Except Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, Little Red Hood, Hydlide, and anything by LJN except a select view.

Except Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, Little Red Hood, Hydlide, and anything by LJN except a select view.

I'm kinda sick of everyone picking on Hydlide because AVGN and ProJared showed it.

Sure, it's not the greatest of games, but without it, it's highly unlikely that we'd have such great games like Ys which uses the exact same system as Hydlide does but arguably does it right.

Half Minute Hero
Fastest RPG I have ever play.

Rage
Short main Quest mission and disappointing abrupt ending.

the Dead rising 2 spin off games Case Zero and there was another one where you teamed up with Drank, I forgot its name.

Asura's Wrath and the Devil May Cry games those were short but awsome to play games.

the Dead rising 2 spin off games Case Zero and there was another one where you teamed up with Drank, I forgot its name.

Did you mean team up with Frank? In Case West?

I'm kinda sick of everyone picking on Hydlide because AVGN and ProJared showed it.

Sure, it's not the greatest of games, but without it, it's highly unlikely that we'd have such great games like Ys which uses the exact same system as Hydlide does but arguably does it right.

We can thank the original PC version of Hydlide for that sis. The NES version is just baaad.

Rage

Short main Quest mission and disappointing abrupt ending.

Man, gue baru inget tuh game. The ending scarred me, but nggak separah Mass Effect 3.

Man, I just got a revelation. There's this free game on Steam named Serena. Basically it's a point and click game where you just point and click objects in this cabin, and hear the main character narrates the objects. You can finish this game in 30 minutes, and it has a good story. Check it out.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/12309/

And if you have an xbox360, there's this cool shoot em up game called Strania. It's kind of like a bullet hell game, and it has fantastic soundtrack. There's a dlc for this that lets you play as the opposing force, and it's a lot harder. You will have to be a master of dodging to beat this game. If you can beat this game in 1 go, you'll get 1 hour out of each campaign.

There's another game called Child of Eden which is a rhythm shoot em up where you shoot things along with the music to create cool beats. Back when it was released, it's definitely a rip-off. $60 or $90 in Australia and the game has only 5 missions that takes around 1 hour to beat overall, but to get the next missions you have to play the previous mission over and over again, which is just stupid, but the game looks great and the music is catchy. Doesn't justify the ridiculous price at all. Ground Zeroes has more content than this game, and everyone thinks that game is short. Now though it's bellow $20, and it's a good time to buy it if you like music based games.