• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Caius

Do you want to develop a game?

Game Development with other AJSA members poll   96 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want to develop a game with members of the AJSA?

• Yes (I know some things about game development)
    • Yes (I do not know how to develop a game, but would like to learn)
    • No
    • Maybe
    • Iff it is my game idea

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

65 posts in this topic

WTF!? Right now. I'm still study the game developer. Listen, I can't find any college, university, or tech who has a cheaper than others. I have a lots of game projects. I will sign up the Kickstarter after my studio went open. Then I will make an video game serve as producer, QA tester, director, writer, and businessman for the games. First, I will start the QA Tester first, then I will become a video game producer. Because I have played lots of video games. That is the end of the story for me. The end. No more reply.

Christ, he's just trying to give some friendly advice

Sorry, as a game developer, I'm just trying to be helpful

Okay. My bad. Listen, I have no job. I can't work on McDonald as fry cook or working in GameStop. I just need an money to work on video game developer after I accept from college, university or tech and earn my graduation as bachelor's degree. Well I have a good news, I just saw the Respawn Entertainment website (one who made Titanfall and former creators of Call of Duty due to ex-Infinity Ward) where they show us how to become a game developer. (see below)

Christ, he's just trying to give some friendly advice

Okay. My bad too. I'm very sorry. Listen I need to find an cheapest college, university, or tech. I lived in Phoenix, AZ and I just visited to California every few months. My future game studio will be called, Roman Legion Studios. Located in Phoenix, AZ. I have no job. My game project will have about 15 games. By the way, I would like to thanks to Respawn Entertainment to learn how to become a video game developer.

http://www.respawn.com/careers/

Well, coding certainly is not one of the arts in which I am well informed, but learning this particular skill is most definitely on my list, and hopefully one day I will get around to it.

I'd be happy to help with concept art or I game art it it's 2d. I someone wants to teach me about making skins for 3d models, I'll do that as well.

Writing, voice acting, and game/mechanic concepts are other things I can work on as well.

Happy to help however I can.

someone wants to teach me about making skins for 3d models,

google search "how to make a uvw map" and then you should know how to make a usable uvw map texture

I really want to develop a game but I have no idea about programming. I'm always ready to help with all I can and I'm eager to learn something from you guys :)

I really really want to dedicate some time to making a game but I feel like I have no time to do so.

I have already gotten like, all the programs I need in order to make something happen but I never get around to putting any time into it.

I have a lot of ideas for video games but I suck at drawing and I'm not that good with computers.

I'm curious as to how important it is to have a person who is skilled at thinking up game mechanics and themes to the development of a game, and also what skills that person should have?

I would love to know that too.

On 24/03/2014 at 10:38 PM, Emphase said:

No. Simply because I'd have absolutely no clue what to do. Besides, I don't want to ruin my hobby of playing games by starting to make them.

Lol its like I can see what you're saying, but at the same time it makes no sense! :) Don't worry, it's probably just my brain on a cookie induced sugar high, I get it.

I have dabbled in programming and have made several small 'games' in the past, But I would certainly never want to become a developer of games full time.

Not only would the high pressure and demand be the death of me but with the way the industry is right now, The payoff wouldn't really be that great either.

If I was developing games as a full time job I would probably kill myself before I turned 30 because game development is one of the most stressful and time consuming lines of work you could ever get involved in. You spend hours sitting at a desk creating models, textures for those models, animations for those models and line after line of code necessary to make your game even run properly without any pre-existing templates like RPG Maker which does that for you and even if you go with the easy route and rely on a template you're still writing thousands of lines of dialogue for characters in an RPG you'll end up rewriting over and over and over again because you'll never be satisfied with it and will eventually come to the realization that "This is pointless, I'm never going to release this, I'm 24 what am I doing with my life"

Maybe that last bit is about me specifically but the point still stands: it's a very stressful line of work that consumes most if not all of your free time and you might not even get anything out of it for all the stress and time wasted so why even bother?

TL;DR - Playing games is fun. Developing them... not so much.

On 2/9/2019 at 1:19 AM, Lazilot said:

TL;DR - Playing games is fun. Developing them... not so much.

Meh, I think this is just a matter of perspective. I find myself enjoying looking at code and models all day, It's like reading a book for me in all honesty. 

If the game idea was Good and Not some mobile-phone trash Nor some super-casual game. If the game was a Great Idea, had High-enough Standards, had a team that was willing to Cooperate with each-other and follow the Most-Knowledgeable of the team's Direction, And it was developed with serious competence.

there are Many Old-software systems that are easy, convenient, low-budget, low-maintenance, and High Quality that can make HUGE games in relatively short amounts of time. Unreal Engine (like for Unreal Tournament 1999), GoldSource (Half Life 1), or MT Framework (apparently unnamed engine for Resident Evil 4 and maybe Dead Rising) among many others. Creating an amazing game Experience should be the goal, rather than creating a AAA graphics with flashy colors. Quake 2, Unreal Gold, Diablo 1, Halo CE, Jersey Devil 1997, Spyro the Dragon 1998... Many More examples at how an Amazing game can have Low-Resolution graphics. Look at Minecraft: the Graphics are Horrible, so bad it's a meme; BUut is a Huge world, Seeds to create new maps, Rain and Snow effects, and Just Enough to instill a sense of awe, mystery, and intrigue. People that play Minecraft liked how they weren't forced into a linear adventure while also being challenging and socially rewarding with online "co-op" when creating massive/cool things and sharing them. People want AAA graphics In AAA Companies, but if you want to make an excellent Indie/Studio Starter while Launching careers of people who sign up and stick with it, Then you can make something at least a subgroup will love. Life of Black Tiger is NOT what I am referring to, as long as you were being serious and not trolling.

It would also need to be paid in some way with salaries and royalties. Should you put together a team, for example, I am an excellent writer with over 110,000 hours videogame experience and also am an avid fan of movies. I am also an Excellent multi-Player and Knows what makes good balancing online and what people like overall, as well as playing most of the best games ever made. I could do scripts and editing as well as cinematography, direction, screenplays, storyboards, and Management such as overseeing development and planning, keeping people on track and focused. I am Not a Programmer however and would need someone to be in charge as Director of Strategic Development (I would probably be Artistic Director or Chief Artistic Supervisor). Anthem is a perfect example of even Great studios, Bioware, having Incompetent Executive Management. If I get royalties on sales, rights to sell merchandise, and a fair salary to begin, I would be Absolutely Invaluable. But again, it cannot be some quick money-grabbing trash; it would have to be a Great idea and a Great team. I wouldn't work with people that don't really care or are just in for the facebook likes. I Want Great Games, and so should the people making "my" games.

Let me suggest 1 other thing: look at "gamunentaries" and documentaries about the First Games of a studio. Almost All of these people will have little to no experience, and thus judging someone for their credentials is Difficult and Vague At Best. Many of these interviewed employees will say "It was a great learning experience, I learned a lot, and it helped launch my career." This is how Many games such as Dead Space 1, Half Life 1, and STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl launched, and these are some of the Greatest Games of All Time, and then went on to create More of the Greatest Games of All Time: Metro series, S:Clear Sky+Pripyat+Call of Chernobyl, Half Life 2 and so on. Play these and see (every one I listed... except LoBT, are Excellent game experiences); So, this means that if you're starting a new company, you should be willing to work with Newbies, and as long as these people work towards a great thing, and have the Talent to support their work, then great things can happen. If you just want Harvard Grads and MIT Technicians, be prepared to dish out 100k salaries day-1 for about 4 years Per Person. You are a Rich Man, in that case.