• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

mouseno4

RIP Oculus Rift

157 posts in this topic

Well it's already negatively affecting it. I know I wanted one and now well... Now I'm waiting a good long goddamn time to even think about it to make sure some Facebook practices didn't tarnish it. I know a lot of people cancelled their pre-orders too, so it's a heavy hit in their image. 

Hopefully, the device will survive and thrive without moronic restrictions to it's uses or an attempt to make it closed but I feel like the future's just been raped.

John Carmack is still Chief Technical Officer for Oculus VR so I doubt that it wouldn't have been sold without his approval.

Some quotes from him on Twitter:

One thing that is happening is that Oculus Rift is still trending big time on Twitter. People who have never heard of it before will know now about through Twitter and on Facebook as well as the different news services.

This is, then, an unambiguous by FB to enter and dominate the VR marketplace before there is viable competition. It's great for the Oculus because now they get the resources and exposure they wouldn't have had prior to this deal.

It's pretty much going to become Facerift?  B) (Bad Joke!)

Anyways, I' wanna keep an eye on these news for a while.  :P

This has to be some kinda April Fools joke man, I am not going to believe this bull. O_O

To be honest I don't think this is such a bad idea that a lot of people are making it up to be. In theory the Rift guys now have a source for funding that is huge! They can basically go about with out worry that they will go bankrupt since they have a billion dollar company behind them like FB. Now I doubt that the RIft will have "LOL FACEBOOK CONNECTIONS ON EVERY GAME! :D" because I feel that the devs have it in their best interest to make the Rift a suitable gaming experience.

But if it does come to the fact that Facebook pushes their app in my face when I use this thing... I'll take back everything and eat my own hat on tape.

Bet it will have something like this before playing a game: "You are currently not connected to Facebook, this device will not work without it, please register with us and give us your soul", "Would you like to share your virtual viewing information with Facebook and your friends? No? Too bad."

On a serious note: I actually wanted to purchase an oculus rift, but after this deal, HELL to the NO, I am looking more towards Sony's Morpheus project now.

I mean good for the Oculus Rift guys on new found wealth, but... really....

Gotta love Sony

Sony-Project-Morpheus-image-001.jpg

It brings soo much hope for VR gaming soo fk facebook and its farmvile game

After finally being redirected here, I will make my statement:

If Oculus continues making good hardware, thats okay. They just rolled out a new developer kit, so I don't think it will be terrible. I don't think Zukerberg is going to make that dumb of a move to make it inaccessible. I think it's really just him trying to show everyone he has cahones and purchased Oculus VR to have run as a sub-company much like how Disney acquired Marvel. I mean, the new Marvel stuff is pretty awesome. Just watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. on ABC. It's pretty awesome.

If they somehow go under, everyone loses, including Facebook since their stocks will drop significantly, so Zukerberg wont let Oculus fail outright. In fact, going onto the site, I noticed they were hiring. I think Oculus was looking for the money to hire new people, and Facebook was willing to buy them to get production of consumer products in full swing.

Wow. Quite a few Drama Queens in this thread.

Jackie likes this

Man, some of you need to dial down the hyperbole. I mean, if you built something and another company offered you $2,000,000,000 for it, who honestly wouldn't take it? Its a absolute win for them. They get paid, they get to continue development, and it proves the concept was something valid.

Secondly, what ever made you think Occulus Rift was ever meant for just gaming? I get that the original concept was for a gaming device. Lets look at two other video game devices. Television and computers were never developed with video games in mind. Since their inception both have been adopted and adapted for use with video games. A device, no matter what it is, is just a tool. Its up to people to decide what it can be used for.

Lastly we've got Facebook. Lovely, slimy Facebook. I hate the site myself though I admit to having an account. Its hard to say anything nice about them. Its not like they are the only company pulling the crap they do. They are just the most pervasive. If they want to try to broaden the scope of the Rifts uses, let them. You will still be able to use it for gaming. If we see a day where we see the facebook logo on the Rift, oh well. Its not exactly the first time we've had a company shove their brand in our collective faces. (Microsoft, Sony, Nvidia, AMD, etc.)

Definitely gotta agree with FreaknFool..... 

I'm cautious. But I'm suprised so many people are so instantly "fuck this". I mean what is it they actually expect Facebook to do? Worst I can think of is requiring you to logon with your facebook account to use the damn thing.

I'm cautious. But I'm suprised so many people are so instantly "fuck this". I mean what is it they actually expect Facebook to do? Worst I can think of is requiring you to logon with your facebook account to use the damn thing.

Facebook collects too much private data, that is why I never use it.

There is other VR's out there, just less reknowned...  And just because FB acquired it doesn't mean it will turn to garbage :P

Artose likes this

Scumbag-Mark-Zuckerberg.jpg

II'm excited to announce that we've agreed to acquire Oculus VR, the leader in virtual reality technology.

Our mission is to make the world more open and connected. For the past few years, this has mostly meant building mobile apps that help you share with the people you care about. We have a lot more to do on mobile, but at this point we feel we're in a position where we can start focusing on what platforms will come next to enable even more useful, entertaining and personal experiences.

This is where Oculus comes in. They build virtual reality technology, like the Oculus Rift headset. When you put it on, you enter a completely immersive computer-generated environment, like a game or a movie scene or a place far away. The incredible thing about the technology is that you feel like you're actually present in another place with other people. People who try it say it's different from anything they've ever experienced in their lives.

Oculus's mission is to enable you to experience the impossible. Their technology opens up the possibility of completely new kinds of experiences.

Immersive gaming will be the first, and Oculus already has big plans here that won't be changing and we hope to accelerate. The Rift is highly anticipated by the gaming community, and there's a lot of interest from developers in building for this platform. We're going to focus on helping Oculus build out their product and develop partnerships to support more games. Oculus will continue operating independently within Facebook to achieve this.

But this is just the start. After games, we're going to make Oculus a platform for many other experiences. Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face — just by putting on goggles in your home.

This is really a new communication platform. By feeling truly present, you can share unbounded spaces and experiences with the people in your life. Imagine sharing not just moments with your friends online, but entire experiences and adventures.

These are just some of the potential uses. By working with developers and partners across the industry, together we can build many more. One day, we believe this kind of immersive, augmented reality will become a part of daily life for billions of people.

Virtual reality was once the dream of science fiction. But the internet was also once a dream, and so were computers and smartphones. The future is coming and we have a chance to build it together. I can't wait to start working with the whole team at Oculus to bring this future to the world, and to unlock new worlds for all of us.

FUCK YOU ZUCKERBERG, OCULUS RIFT IS FOR GAMERS NOT PRETEEN FACEBOOK USERS

But now he can finally have a real facebook, not that imposter he CALLS facebook.

I'm just shocked that Oculus VR sold out to Facebook for so little. A measly $2 billion??! They bought a fucking chat app for way more than that.

Facebook collects too much private data, that is why I never use it.

I get that, but what private data can they collect from a peripheral? Or is it the principle?

I get that, but what private data can they collect from a peripheral? Or is it the principle?

Exactly, Who knows how much data they can capture from the Oculus Rift. Or rather how much they will require. This might not be that big of a deal for some people, but for me, anyways, it is.

Exactly, Who knows how much data they can capture from the Oculus Rift. Or rather how much they will require. This might not be that big of a deal for some people, but for me, anyways, it is.

If they make it require a login that means that some process is running that allows you to use it, and that could upload anything that is displayed in your rift to a server. (screen capture)

Cap0bvious likes this

Ok at the end of the day if FB takes your data what will they do with it. Lets say they sell it to the NSA or give it to the NSA or whatever. The NSA cant do much with it unless you say something really stupid and if they do use it when there is nothing incriminating then you can Lawyer up. If the NSA or FB wants your data they could probably get it without to much effort.  I know this sucks but it is true.

It's not just the data tracking (but don't worry, it's that too), but I don't want a game to be interrupted with advertising (targeted advertising!) every fifteen minutes.