• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

slayerzach

What do think of ESO so far?

39 posts in this topic

What does everyone think of the game so far? i think its pretty good so far but it will be better when they work out the bugs but since its release day for early access i can understand some bugs but at least its nothing game breaking so far.

imo its like 2-3x better than the last beta.. so cool and fun.. and smooth sailin so far..

there are a few bugs however.. quest bugs.. that wont get fixed no matter how much reload ui or relog or close reopen client you do.. if you are if you are one of the 50/10000?? people that are unlucky.. my gf got the bug on one particular quest but not me.. the only way i solved it is by abandoning the quest and redoing it all over again..

I'm lovin it. Made a good few friends already! Gotta get that enchantin up ;)

I was some what disappointed. Compared with other MMOs, it lack animation magic like from the other elder scroll series (Oblivion and Skyrim), it almost felt like I am playing Rift. The environment was so plain, it lack a lot of environment art. Gaming engine could be improved it still feels a bit restrictive. I didn't like the experience where I came in a dungeon and found it crowded. The Uniqueness of exploring wasn't their. Crafting and economy was poorly creative and to basic.

I do like the fact that NPCs actually voice out their quests money well spent on voice acting and that we have to aim at the moving enemy rather then auto target. Challenging combat is always welcome.

All in all the Elder Scrolls series was famous for its Majestic Animation and Massive Chain of Lores. But it now seems that they went fulling towards the PvP over PvE.

I was some what disappointed. Compared with other MMOs, it lack animation magic like from the other elder scroll series (Oblivion and Skyrim), it almost felt like I am playing Rift. The environment was so plain, it lack a lot of environment art. Gaming engine could be improved it still feels a bit restrictive. I didn't like the experience where I came in a dungeon and found it crowded. The Uniqueness of exploring wasn't their. Crafting and economy was poorly creative and to basic.

I do like the fact that NPCs actually voice out their quests money well spent on voice acting and that we have to aim at the moving enemy rather then auto target. Challenging combat is always welcome.

All in all the Elder Scrolls series was famous for its Majestic Animation and Massive Chain of Lores. But it now seems that they went fulling towards the PvP over PvE.

Well, I saw a lot of people saying that nobody should expect ESO to be Elder Scrolls quality.

CaptainKickass69 likes this

It's been pretty good so far. Not sure what you're smoking when you say the Elder Scrolls series is known for its animation. To me Elder Scrolls games are known for bugs and floaty combat, on the technical side of things that is.

The world is fine to me, it's big enough to explore and I appreciate the realistic artstyle. I don't think it looks like shit and I don't have a problem with the foliage level. I couldn't get into Wildstar because of the cartoony-ness of it. Having so many skill shards to find gives me the same feeling I got from GW2 at launch. Gives me something concrete to do outside of questing that improves my character.

Combat has been intriguing. It's refreshing to play a game where random quest mobs pose a threat (assuming you aren't overleveled). The power attacks and spell casting puts Wildstar's vaunted telegraphs to shame.

I haven't made a decision on the rest of it, don't have enough playtime to make a judgement on the other systems.

Doshka17 likes this

As a veteran player of all Elder Scrolls games, what on Earth are you talking about? The animations of TES have never been so amazing. Case-in-point: in Skyrim the idle animations for Sabre cats are screwed up and makes their front paws hover off the ground.

I'd argue that ESO has much improved animations from any TES game prior; they feel more natural and not so robotic.

CaptainKickass69 likes this

I would have to agree with Eleglas, especially compared to previous betas.

My wife and I have only run into one bugged quest so far. The combat is smooth and engaging, very fluid and natural to me. The quests are fun and interesting with lots of lore. The mobs, especially as you get higher, start to become a big challenge, considering some mobs give you less than a second of telegraphing if they do a teleport attack like some of the Viper Pirate mages.

The graphic engine is amazing, especially for an MMO. I play on maxed out settings and the game is breath taking. The environments are rich and full of life, the ambient sounds are well done and give you a sense that you are part of a living world.

The towns people talk to each other about events going on in the game. The quests are not all huddled up into a quest hub, they are relatively spread out in the world and some require you to explore places just to find them. There are Skyshards to obtain, achievements to acquire, and lorebooks to find. There are books to read, gathering and collecting and crafting to be had. There are dungeons to delve into, places to explore and people to talk to.

I haven't even gotten to the PvP yet, but one of my favorite PvP games of all times is DAoC and ESO PvP was developed by DAoC developers, so I expect it to be great.

Overall, I am extremely satisfied with the game and I am a huge TES fan dating back to Morrowind, but I am also a huge MMORPG fan. I think some people forget that we are not just playing an MMO, we are playing an MMO"RPG". Sit back, relax, enjoy all the time and effort and over a decade of lore that is in the game.

Kedric likes this

Couldn't agree more SgtRoss. I've never played a more beautiful MMO (granted I haven't played very many), I found a nice viewpoint above Daggerfall which was just breathtaking, I stayed there for a good few minutes just completely absorbed in it all. I've never been more immersed in an MMO either, I don't tend to like vanity pets but I do like having the monkey one you get from being beta tester, I call him Oscar and he fits in with the backstory I made for my character.

I must say that for me is TESO big suprise. I tried beta 3 times. First time I played about 30 minutes. Second time about 15 (Selecting resto staff as a first wepon was realy step back). Third time I loged just because of intervence by few of my friends and Joe's second Beta impresions. Thrid time I finished right at the end of first islad... on the first try I start liking the game. But than release came....

This is literaly my first MMO launch when I just loged in hour they anounced and start playing without interruption. (And I experienced a lot MMO launches and few single player games with similar isue (D3, Sim city). Game was smooth i experienced just a few minor bugs like still shiny rest staff (realy anoying :angry: ), my horse was often shake me off and things like that. This was also first time when I realy jumped in to crafting and I love it. Sure Its not like SWG crafting, but its first more complex crafting since ultima online. I  think that there even may be people who will just specialize in crafting and collecting and the will have a lot of things to do in the game.

Visuals are not that amazing as singleplayer game can be, but for an MMO its realy something. There was a lot of sceneries which literaly took my breath away... Quest series of Mage gild or mind traveling with prophet..... those were realy strong monents and I am still playing alone. I am almost affraind to join you guys in PvP... it may take my RL away :)

To be short I was affraid that ESO will be next GW2 for me (Which is only game to this day I realy regret buying), but it ended up as plesent suprice... a huge one. We will see how the game will work in end game. But for now I am impresed.

To summarize my experience so far it would be a mix between playing a new Elder Scrolls game and a MMORPG blended together. As I imagine, was intended. Now that may sound vague or oddly nonspecific but what I am trying to express is that my feelings about ESO stem from what I've come to expect from an MMO and what I've come to expect from an Elder Scrolls game, with neither being lived up to fully but instead an even marriage of the two. Firstly it is an MMO, class and race restrictions dictating your initial hurdle into the world while the game possesses slightly less than the level of freedom in and Elder Scrolls single-player game. You are free to explore and experiment while such risks can often be rewarding but like a typical MMO, level and gear rating will restrict you from exploring the entirety of the world as well as story progression is required for certain advances.

Speaking of story the game has that "Elder Scrolls" motif seasoned over the multi-layered story. On the forefront of the action is your quest to hinder the march of Oblivion and recover your soul from the clutches of a Deadric Prince while beneath that is the story involving the war for Cyrodiil between the three factions. Beneath that is a more intimate storyline on the level of the individual alliance and its intericate politics. But everything, like in an Elder Scrolls game is connected, while some quests stand alone they all reflect the state of the world which has been rippled through by the actions of the over-arching story of the Deadric Invasion and the Three-Banners war.

I chose, like many here in the ASJA, to roll Dominion and it is a nice breath of fresh air to experience a land and culture we've yet to experience in the main franchise, or single player games. The art style isn't as gritty as Skyrim but thankfully not as blunt as Oblivion but reminds me more of Morrowind but much more vibrant and colorful which is a nice change of pace.

Those are just some random thoughts but I feel, most of all, I have to play more to make a sound judgement.

Gilt likes this

I seem to be one of the unfortunate ones with quest bugs.

I'm on Daggerfall and so far around a quarter of the quests i've found have been bugged. Then my character got lost in an eternal loading screen for Cyrodiil.

So much so that me and one of the customer support folks are on a first name basis ..... literally.

Aside from that i'm really enjoying it.

i don't like it.

- no instanced PVP battles, or team based matches with just players.

- no open world PVP options what so ever.

- no opposing factions on the same server, i.e. the very reason to play the game is to defeat the enemy players and you cannot touch them unless you go to cyrodil only, and will never see them until max level, and furthermore to the above point, cannot engage in fights.

- 1 server per continent, meaning it's less expensive to run than a mmorpg with a clusterfuck of servers everywhere around the world and STILL want's a sub to play.

- guild wars 2 is almost exactly the same, except for the engine. all the features and design around the way the game works is a carbon copy, and i hated GW2.

very dissapointed. i just really hope ES6 comes one day. until then, this series stops with skyrim, imo.

- no instanced PVP battles, or team based matches with just players.

- no open world PVP options what so ever.

- no opposing factions on the same server, i.e. the very reason to play the game is to defeat the enemy players and you cannot touch them unless you go to cyrodil only, and will never see them until max level, and furthermore to the above point, cannot engage in fights.

- 1 server per continent, meaning it's less expensive to run than a mmorpg with a clusterfuck of servers everywhere around the world and STILL want's a sub to play.

Funny I have all this as a pro of the game.. Ok maybe exept open world PvP.

Instanced PvP is nonsence without a point..

Cyrodil is a battlefield with consequences which replace importance of PvP. I dont have to farm players unable to defend them selves. One huge battlefield allowing comunity tactics is much more valuable.

1 megaserver, acount based guilds... those are big pros for me. And to be honest I dont see why clustered servers are cheaper... Its basicly same thing just not connecter enough.... Clustered servers are still in one room, with same conection line and ping...

Eleglas likes this

At the moment I am loving my time in ESO, will this change? more then likely but I hope that is not anytime soon.

Like all new games it has its good and disappointing points.

Good

Large open world where I can explore and harvest to my hearts content

excellent crafting system - where I can with the right time and effort completely look after myself and my needs

fantastic story, the world feels alive, npc's feel alive - immersion level is great

combat feels fluid and is fun

Cyrodil is fun, as a generally non pvp player I really enjoy my time in Cyrodil and actually look forward to going in there to play

Disappointing

Respeccing is too expensive and too far into the game at the moment, skills not explained properly and morphing is hap hazard so a mistake is a very costly one

Skills not explained fully / vague in there usage or effect triggering

bugs in quests that block progression - these will hopefully be ironed out fully and unhindered gameplay will result. I just feel disappointed that it still feels beta level in this regard.

All in all I have a lot of hope for the game and feel you really should give it a chance. 

Funny I have all this as a pro of the game.. Ok maybe exept open world PvP.

Instanced PvP is nonsence without a point..

Cyrodil is a battlefield with consequences which replace importance of PvP. I dont have to farm players unable to defend them selves. One huge battlefield allowing comunity tactics is much more valuable.

1 megaserver, acount based guilds... those are big pros for me. And to be honest I dont see why clustered servers are cheaper... Its basicly same thing just not connecter enough.... Clustered servers are still in one room, with same conection line and ping...

instanced PVP is not nonsense because there IS a point - progression of you and your character, in order to allow you, and your faction on your server, defeat and pwn the enemy faction on your server. it's also fun. it's like you saying there is no point to playing an FPS game online against other players when all you are doing is killing each other in team deathmatch over and over, in order to progress your own rank and weapon selection... to further kill people over and over - but that's fun - millions would agree.

cyrodil / WVW PVP is actually completely pointless because the PVP taking place there, ends there. it doesn't revolve around the game world you are playing on - only there. it starts and ends there. like i said, no open world PVP, and it would appear there isn't much in the way of gear to be aquired to use against players on the world you play on, you just acquire better gear to play better in that same PVP zone and nowhere else. it's like a separate game.

account based guilds are shit because it provides the player with no options for having more friends in different guilds on different characters while being anonymous on their identity. look at games like EVE Online, or wow even. if you wanted to strategically play in seperate corps / guilds for your own personal gain, i.e. spy on one corp to infiltrate and attack them while feeding intel to your real friends on another corp, you can because membership is per character and not per account. same goes for wow. if you wanted to have 2 seperate guild mates where one is PVP only and the other is PVE only, you can due to character memberships and not account memberships all the while masking your identity. do you really want all of your 10+ characters in ESO to be known to the entire server population, that it is YOU? what if you made an honest mistake and messed up somehow... you wouldnt be able to escape the onslaught of trolling from the community. everyone will know who you are no matter what character you play, or what new character you roll. you won't escape mistakes and you will never be free from trolling.

1 megaserver IS more expensive to run because the server client of the game is running across that cluster of servers as 1 actual server / instance. that's why when you login and see a server list you just see ESO EU, i.e. 1 server / 1 server client available to connect to. i bet it takes a lot of maintenance and skill in managing that server cluster as 1 game server because if just 1 of those machines fucks up, the WHOLE server client wont work and will be down for maintenance until just that 1 machine is either taken out of the mix or repaired. seperate servers segment the player base YES, BUT they are also seperate server clients and if one where to mess up, that 1 server client / realm / server to connect to for the end user would be down, not ALL of them, just that one. it's much cheaper and easier to manage that kind of environment. just you wait. ESO one of these says sooner or later will be down on a continental scale for up to a week or more because of some kind of problem, and no one will be able to play. but on a traditional segmented server population, this would never be an issue, and if it was, offers to transfer characters for free to other servers, even entire guilds of players could be offered as compensation. none of that in ESO. not one bit of it.

I'm absolutely loving it, been waiting for a good addictive MMO for sometime. The main focus for me with any game is that I have fun while playing it, and at the moment that's exactly what this game is for me.

The maps are huge, the PvP area is awesome! I like that you can go in alone and do PvE or defend a location, or join up with a group and assault!

Im liking the skill trees and how many upgrades are available, the crafting is awesome and I love just going out gathering resources and exploring the world!

I don't like the account bound guild thing though and how it shows your login name rather than character name, not only does it get confusing as to who is who but I feel its an unnecessary security issue. Some minor bugs that need tweaking, nothing that has really stopped my progression in terms of story line quests or other major quests...just the frog racing quest was bugged for me so far which now seems to work.

I'm looking forward to the addition of more guilds like thieves guild and dark brotherhood!

Overall I am happy with the game and £8 a month for me is well worth it!

I shall continue to see those who stay with the game, in game!  (Tyriel_Septim)

Personally I love it. Mostly I love Cyrodiil and how PVP is no an ongoing war for 90 days instead of a bunch of silly "mini games" (capture the flag, king of the hill and so on and so forth...). Rather then being able to have 1 player run in and grab an objective and run like hell, hoping for the best, Cyrodiil forces players to work as a team in large groups in order to capture and defend objectives. It is a much more fun experience I think.

I also really enjoy the system for leveling up and gaining new skills, as rather then getting handed a bunch of crap all at once you get to choose how your character progresses.

I like that accounts are linked to account, but I wish it would display both character name and account name in rooster so i could remember who everyone is...      (I am terrible with names, and as someone who just joined there's too damned many of you for me to keep track of everyone.)

CaptainKickass69 and Gilt like this

i'm only finding it meh atm

whether that'll change for better or worse will be determined after the 30 initial days are up

but right now it doesn't feel like it's worth subbing

Considering that this game faces the loftiest of expectations compared to  any game of the past three years for me, I would say that I enjoy it very much.

The combat is exactly what I expected, and smoother than every other action MMO that I have played. The quests, although most do not aspire to much more than a mob grind under the guise of completing a mundane task, are entertaining nonetheless. You can choose your own difficulty; it is possible to complete everything in any given area and level up, or skip ahead to more challenging content. 

The game is also fully voice acted, and the quest chains that tell stories are often pretty engaging. The single player areas are a fun, refreshing break from the normal MMO grind (that we know and love, but need distractions from!)

That being said, I wish that they hadn't left the game barebones in the UI department. They should have included nameplates, portraits, combat text, buffs/debuffs display area, and more, WITH the option to disable them. I suppose this is another one of those things that the modding community will have to take to themselves.

I have yet to explore everything that this game has to offer, and endgame content will be a HUGE force of attraction/repellent for me. Based on the fact that the game is sub based, I think that there is hope for it.

Of course, it is indeed an MMO which can be constantly patched based on user feedback. ESO do your thing, don't be afraid that some people won't like a certain feature.

My problem with ESO is that I could never shake the feeling that I was playing a stripped-down Skyrim. Yes, they managed to get the Elder scrolls "feel", but it doing so saddled themselves with those expectations. What Zenimax should have done was go totally balls-out, do everything Skyrim did and more, and really revolutionize the MMO genre.

From reading all the posts, it seems to me this game is doing better than expected. I just might get it soon, I really want it now.

Ya little bastards, coming in here and just advertising the game like, "OMG ESO IS SO GOOD, it has a some bugs, but nothing to ruin the experience. IT'S WORTH IT!"

You are all Zenimax's little Corporate agents. I know you. I see you. 

I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm taking the game slowly and taking my time looking around and doing quests. I'm in no rush to level up, and this is one MMO where I feel they the game doesn't shove levelling up down your throat. 

Finally finished Glenumbra in it's entirety (excepts Ghosts of Westtry which is still bugged) and i'm finding things I missed in the beta.

Like Dead Man's Hollow.