• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Are Gamers Killing Video Games?

44 posts in this topic

A recent youtube video I watched has brought to light some good points in how us gamers are killing the video game industry. I dunno what to think now since I do agree and disagree with some of the things said in the video. I'd like to hear your opinions on whether you agree or disagree with this statement. But, before you posts down below saying anything. Please, at least watch the video via the link above before posting below and also please do not be rude, I am deeply concerned about this being true.

But hey, its just a theory.

A GAME THEORYYYYY

Artose likes this

ROFL. Killing the game industry....? How exactly? The game industry has never been so industrious.

Hmm.... this is interesting. For all the loud complaining we gamers have about boring, uninspired titles, these companies are doing them for a reason: they sell (somehow).

I guess one good thing to take out of this is that BF4's terrible release and CoD Ghosts's relatively low sales compared to previous CoD titles will hopefully make developers and publishers rethink the cookie cutter sequels and make something interesting.

I actually completely agree, a lot of us (not all) say we want these things, then go out and support the exact opposite with our wallets. We usually don't dig through the Indie bargain bin on a regular basis, yet we all check at least the front page on Steam regularly.

The Wii U was killed by the fact that everyone was bitching about wanting innovation yet having zero ideas about what the hell that even meant, let alone what it would produce. Then once we all had the innovation everyone so desperately bitched for, what do we do? We take a huge collective dump on it for not being the "right" innovation, heck pick any reason under the stars you can imagine and someone was mad at Nintendo for it after the release of the Wii U.

Even I am guilty here, I was so hyped for what was coming next from Nintendo. I thought it was gonna be the kind of ground breaking shake up of the game console industry that the Wii was, and I was horribly disappointed when it was just a tablet with buttons for a controller and a hardware update.

I want to make this clear though, when I say "we" I do NOT mean EVERY single gamer out there nor every gamer in the Army, I mean it purely in a collective sense because of the fact that the fair majority of gamers did the exact same thing I did.

I don't believe gamers are killing the industry. I believe publishers that want to release a game from the same franchise every single year are hurting (not killing) the industry.

Madfinnishgamer38 likes this

I think it's a bit of both.  Publishers do a LOT of shitty things, and the main reason they keep doing those things is because gamers keep lapping them up.

Bimpy782 likes this

In general, yeah, the masses go with what's safe. Most people don't want to buy Shelter and will instead pick up something like the latest installment in a series in which they're familiar; though I do feel that there's a missing variable in the Game Theory episode: Gaming is a far larger industry today than it was ten or even five years ago.

Mario Party 8 can outsell Ocarina of Time because the audience was far smaller in general back then. Gaming has evolved in more ways than one and it's far more accepted by people who wouldn't consider themselves gamers. I'm sure in ten years from now new IPs could easily sell near that much not by virtue of the game's quality but rather by the sheer numbers of potential buyers. There simply weren't as many people playing videogames ten years ago as there are today.

I love the way this points towards masses of people.

I will only support a game that I've played frequently time after time. I'm not killing the industry. I'm making that mother f****r thrive.

I actually completely agree, a lot of us (not all) say we want these things, then go out and support the exact opposite with our wallets. We usually don't dig through the Indie bargain bin on a regular basis, yet we all check at least the front page on Steam regularly.

The Wii U was killed by the fact that everyone was bitching about wanting innovation yet having zero ideas about what the hell that even meant, let alone what it would produce. Then once we all had the innovation everyone so desperately bitched for, what do we do? We take a huge collective dump on it for not being the "right" innovation, heck pick any reason under the stars you can imagine and someone was mad at Nintendo for it after the release of the Wii U.

Even I am guilty here, I was so hyped for what was coming next from Nintendo. I thought it was gonna be the kind of ground breaking shake up of the game console industry that the Wii was, and I was horribly disappointed when it was just a tablet with buttons for a controller and a hardware update.

I want to make this clear though, when I say "we" I do NOT mean EVERY single gamer out there nor every gamer in the Army, I mean it purely in a collective sense because of the fact that the fair majority of gamers did the exact same thing I did.

But the wii wasnt innovative.  It just took Sony's idea of using the psp as a second screen and made it better.  The only thing that will kill the gaming industry in the end is people's expectations from a game.  If the game falls just short of what people have grown to expect or is different from what they are used to it instantly gets slated as "Crap".

Hell its even got to the point where people think they have a valid opinion about a game without even playing it.

Sir Yahtzee Crosshaw From the Escapist puts it in this way.

"If we saw a chair we really liked and it was a nice chair, we would buy it. If we were asked if we wanted a new chair, you would want the exact same thing."

The title of this video and topic is wrong. I went into this topic expecting something completely different,the title threw me off though.

It should be " what gamers really want "

The title of this video and topic is wrong. I went into this topic expecting something completely different,the title threw me off though.

It should be " what gamers really want "

Meh, I liked this title better. 

But hey it's just a theory, a GAME THEORY!

Without gamers, there would be no video game industry.

This, also my signature.

Hell yeah I knew the signature would be useful!

Game theory always has good points though and that's very much true if a way old trend by now. If we didn't want it it wouldn't sell.

I believe he right, also to those saying "Without gamers, there would be no video game industry." Please watch the video to get more context, he not saying were killing it he saying we are killing innivation.

We Scream we want something new yet all sales show the exact opposite to be true.

likes this

True words in the video but it won't change a bit i am afraid. I just read a interview with Lionel Raynaud from Ubisoft and he said “We are able to offer people a new Assassin’s Creed every year because they want Assassin’s Creed every year”. Soooo, yeah.... people buying it every year encourage the developers too put less effort into the games because they sell anyway. Innovative titles always had a hard time on the market and since minor upgraded versions of the same game sell very good every year, why not. I would do the same, it is all about money ;).

Quote Source:

http://www.edge-online.com/news/ubisoft-will-continue-to-support-old-gen-consoles-for-years-to-come/

To simplify to a common denominator, game companies needs money to run its business.

Sure, gamers don't want another "Call of Duty"-ized game, but major franchises will always hit the top sales. I would argue that major franchises has the highest sales mainly because of the franchises' significance in gaming culture. Or maybe because us gamers want action and explosions at 75% (or more) in a game. The Witcher franchise only had around 5 - 6 million copies sold as of 2013 in contrast to obvious game franchises.

There was a notable article from Ubisoft, stating that they will keep releasing Assassin's Creed games every year for an indefinite period of time. Lets be honest, the Assassin's Creed franchise has high reviews and good sales, including people demanding what setting/location the next Assassin's Creed game would be. Remember Square Enix complained that Sleeping Dogs, Hitman Absolution, and Tomb Raider? They failed to reach its sale expectations, but had great reviews (except for Absolution, in some extent).  

At the end, don't (just) blame at a game company for its choice at milking a franchise to death. It's also your choice to let the milking continue. 

As I always say, there seems to be more innovation now and the ability to innovate more than ever before with the rise of indie games and more and more platforms supporting them (even the PS4 is supporting indie games that try something different, they even added Master Reboot as a title on the PSN). I don't care what large companies are doing with their uninteresting AAA games or how pointless and irrelevant consoles are and how much more pointless they can become. I don't look at Michael Bay movies and tell people that movies are uninteresting and never do anything new because more people buy and watch his crap than something new and interesting. Also, core gamers who watch videos like this and who care about the industry are probably not the ones who buy the yearly CoD and Madden title.

Recoveryanonymous likes this

I think the only really valid argument towards the holy grailish innovation is that a few years ago a lot of classic genres had all but died. Flight simulation died, CRPGs died, Adventures died but in a weird cycle of life even those started to show up and CRPGs especially flourished with the advent of Kickstarter. I think the industry is fine really. We have a Richard Garriot game, a Chris Roberts game, World of Warplanes and War Thunder brought Flight Simulators back, two Obsidian games(one being Torment 2!!!!!), a load of Telltale adventures, a very healthy market for old classics on gog some ressurected Epics like Deus Ex actually stuck very well and all in all games are better prettier and more complex.

I don't even see the problems with sequels to be honest, I like Assassin's Creed for example and I don't see the problem with what they're doing as the game's quality didn't drop imo. (well 3 was a bit off I'll give you that.)

There's call of duty(which is basically a reskin* and even the same maps are released as dlc that you pay extra for...) but... Really, watch the videos on my signature. The spirit of Call of Duty always existed and Madden is actually a great example. (who plays that shit anwyay?!)

*face it, cod is not singleplayer, you'd probably have a better time replaying Doom.

Legolas_Katarn likes this

Well we gamers have say as the consumer, and without our business they go out of a job. Like many of Angry joe's videos buying something we know is crappy tells game companies that it's ok. so speak with our wallets....  

As I always say, there seems to be more innovation now and the ability to innovate more than ever before with the rise of indie games and more and more platforms supporting them (even the PS4 is supporting indie games that try something different, they even added Master Reboot as a title on the PSN). I don't care what large companies are doing with their uninteresting AAA games or how pointless and irrelevant consoles are and how much more pointless they can become. I don't look at Michael Bay movies and tell people that movies are uninteresting and never do anything new because more people buy and watch his crap than something new and interesting. Also, core gamers who watch videos like this and who care about the industry are probably not the ones who buy the yearly CoD and Madden title.

Guess what I may be a console peasant who does by CoD but believe it or not I do care about the industry. I don't think gamers are killing the industry but they are definitely part of the problem. The thing with CoD is that the devs are focusing on the wrong audience. They cater to the MLG and YouTube crowd does just want more of the same because if they changed something they might not be able to make to make videos of buddy fucking their teammates or sitting in corners to get their long killstreaks and quick scopes. There are people like me who want serious advancements in the franchise. They came up with some good things but they just didn't build on them enough or screwed it up completely.

You might not like CoD but you can't say people who play the games aren't gamers.

And those consoles were so pointless and irrelevant than why does the elitist do PC elitists Gabe Newell have Valve games on the console? I guess they're a big enough part of the market that it benefits his ego to have his product on them. It also doesn't help that PC gamers have pretty much praised him for monopolizing the way people purchase PC games.

But back on topic gamers put tremendous stress on developers and publishers. Gamers demand perfection constantly and if someone makes a mistake games constantly and unforgivingly hang over their head even after that problem is fixed. Plus gamer a contradictory. They call EA an evil corporation then turn around and say "real gamers" play Battlefield which is an EA game.

The fact is gamers are a lot of talk and not a lot of action. I'm guilty of it as well. Instead of refusing to buy their shitty games we just bitch and moan about them on the internet then wonder why nothing has changed.

I don't think we're killing the industry but we're definitely not helping it either.