• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Variloh

What does it mean to be a "real" gamer?

74 posts in this topic

Hi all variloh here. 

So as some of you may know i just finished casting/streaming the AJSA Dota 2 tourny. During this time i introduced some "pre and post show" segments that included me doing interviews to the team captains and participants; these segments were wildly popular. As some of you may also remember, i have posted "debate topics" here on the forums and streamed monologues regarding this on my channel. The interview segments were a test run, as i wanted to try a new format. Now i bring back the debate ideas with a twist: insted of just posting your answer here, i would like to have a set number of guests come on the show and give there insites, in the process, promoting what game they play and there guild here on the AJSA. The Dota  2 interview segments helped bring people together in that guild and i wish to do the same on a more comunity wide effect. 

So the first topic is: What does it mean to be a "true" gamer? (both the meaning that has been adapted today and what it SHOULD be, how this definition has changed over the years and so on)

its a topic ive seen before here on the forums that has given wildly diffrent answers and opinons, and i think is a topic which is more influential today then ever. 

The show will air on my twitch channel on www.twitch.tv/variloh on thursdat at 10:00 pm CET. Those who want to come on can contact me via steam: variloh or you can leave your opinons here as i will read them

PS: i post this in the general discussion since i want all members of the AJSA from diffrent games to participate, as well as the discusion topic is pretty open and is not about my channel, which is why i post it here and NOT on the user created section (plus it DOES sy discuss "anything and everything" here :) )

IjWolverineSIoH likes this

a "real gamer" is someone who's passionate about video games. If a person only likes one type of game or they only like a certain generation of games, their still gamers. I don't like the term "real gamer". Like if a baseball fan doesn't like every sport ever or doesn't know every play that doesn't mean he's not a real fan. If someone truly loves video games, that makes them a "real gamer".

Devil's advocate mode: on.

So what about gophers like this?

4f26e072a2ab31e9d2c0d857433465ecbb0680a0

Eh, If they at least tried other games then, maybe? I'm still in a grey area about how I feel about those people. Now if they have only played COD and mobile games and calls any other "gay" than I wouldn't. I'd say the same about someone who has only played something like Dota or TES or Mass Effect and refuses to play anything else. I wouldn't call them "real gamers". I still don't like the tern "real gamer".

IjWolverineSIoH likes this

Ehh it a fine line for me, I normally open to call people who enjoy gaming a gamer with that said people who get into gaming for the sake of attention ((Youtube, Twitch, etc etc)) and are out to just make quick buck with some kind of gimmick, Look how SILLY AT GAMING I AM! Or I have boobs LET ME PLAY GAMES WITH THEM HALF WAY OUT!" ((Not that I mind female gamers, but that the point FEMALE GAMERS not camwhores)). 

Variloh likes this

A "real gamer" is a name people like to call themselves to make themselves feel superior or "better" over casual gamers. There is no such thing as a "real gamer"; everyone who plays games, no matter what they are, whether it is farmville and flappy bird, to CoD or BF, to LoL or WoW, or anything else are "real gamers". 

That's it.

hardcore-gamer.jpg

This is my interpretation of a "real" gamer.

hardcore-gamer.jpg

This is my interpretation of a "real" gamer.

But... but... I don't smoke. I'm not a real gamer! NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooo, My life has been a lie!!!

But... but... I don't smoke. I'm not a real gamer! NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooo, My life has been a lie!!!

041411_winners_dont_use_drugs_tee_1.jpg

Mr_E_Meatshield likes this

Real by definition means that you exist in reality and are not a construction of fantasy. Gamer simply means that you play and enjoy games, which games are irrelevant.

Disclaimer: They must be games though, Farmville aint no game.... It's a simulator.

@Objectively Subjective: I think it's safer to say that no "real gamer" plays only CoD.

I've met enough people in my life who only play such games and then think they can join the military and kick ass because they're "good at shooting people without dying" to know that way lies morons.

As for what truly makes a person a gamer or not? There's no litmus test for it.

I could tell you what I think makes ME a gamer, but not everyone has the same time or money to spend on it that I do.

At the same time, I've also met enough people who don't think I am one because I don't spend enough obscene amounts of time on learning one particular game or another to elevate myself to what they consider an acceptable level of skill. I've noticed this most with fighting games, but there are other rarer cases I've encountered as well.

I think the best way about it is to be what you are, and allow others to be what they are.

Life's too short to spend it trying to label everything, especially when there's always going to be outliers.

I'd say anyone with an interest in video games who plays different games and genres and takes at least a slight interest in what goes on in the industry.

I'd consider someone being a real or hardcore gamer the same thing as someone being more along the lines of a movie buff, not just someone who has just played a game at one point in their life. I wouldn't consider someone a real gamer if all they played is Farmville (and I've never seen anyone who only played Farmville call themself a gamer) just like I wouldn't consider someone who made scrambled eggs one time a chef or how I wouldn't consider someone a fan of movies or books if all they did was watch/read the same one or two things over and over again.

It would be like someone who plays catch with a baseball mitt every once in a while being called a baseball player but they know nothing else of baseball, have never played it, and have never seen a game played. It would be the same thing if someone was just playing one game, knew nothing of different genres, knew nothing of the industry, etc it wouldn't make sense to consider them a real or hardcore gamer. If you are posting about games on a forum or looking for opinions or information you're going to want the people with some actual experience in the hobby.

Variloh and Recoveryanonymous like this

@Objectively Subjective: I think it's safer to say that no "real gamer" plays only CoD.

I've met enough people in my life who only play such games and then think they can join the military and kick ass because they're "good at shooting people without dying" to know that way lies morons.

Did you click on the link? That's a pretty important part of my post.

If you play games you're a gamer simple as that. I can't stand all of these long drawn and specific definitions of what a gamer is like it's fucking special or something. We play video games everyone we're not anything special people.

If you play games you're a gamer simple as that. I can't stand all of these long drawn and specific definitions of what a gamer is like it's fucking special or something. We play video games everyone we're not anything special people.

No hobby or occupation is special but there are still different ways to refer to people given their level of experience with something.

Gone too and Variloh like this

Gamers are people involved in gamer culture, usually nerds who frequent forums keep up with the news, buy a few games once in a while and is overall inserted in the culture. You don't have to be a gamer to enjoy a game or two, some can argue semantics and state that anyone who plays a game is a gamer but that's not how the term has been used for a while now and the word casual has been created to define the type of person who usually plays mobile games once in a while or just one or two games. 

There's nothing wrong with not being a gamer and a person who's not a gamer can appreciate games all the same even if they're not going to get every reference to Monkey Island or know the entire history of the Warcraft franchise. Ultimately there's no requirement or real way to define a gamer other than a broad definition but it's usually easy to spot who's into gaming and would discuss the subject endlessly on a forum and who just plays some games to chill out from time to time.

It's like music you see, some people like music and get involved in the culture surrounding whatever they listen to, others just appreciate it and yet others casually listen to whaterver's on the radio. As a personal example, I happen to like Goth rock a lot but I'm definitely not Goth.

I know some 40 year olds who play cod twice a month and some guys who play fifa once every blue moon, they're definitely not gamers in the sense the word has acquired. They don't read destructoid/escapist/ign/whatever, don't watch totalbiscuit/angryjoe/whoever don't go to gaming forums and have no interest in other games or gaming culture as a whole.

The casual gamer is not pejorative or at least it shouldn't be so there's really no harm in using it. The casual gamer has a different approach entirely. My mother has pacman in her android, she's not a gamer.

Lastly, no we're not special people but we can name more than 20 games have hundreds of them on our Steam accounts and that makes us more invested in the hobby. By your definition of "anyone who play a game is a gamer."  anyone who has ever done something briefly or from time to time is an experienced hobbyist in that field. I've sailed for a year with my father when I was 11, definitely not a sailor and I wouldn't say I was even then. It's ultimately subjective of course but the modern guise of the term has surely changed.

To me, anyone who plays a considerate amount of games can be considered a gamer. There's no "real gamer", since there's no dumb requirement to "play this game if you're a real gamer". Everyone has their own taste on games, no one should tell you what you want to play. Me? MMO's and FPS.

Cap0bvious likes this

A "real gamer" is a name people like to call themselves to make themselves feel superior or "better" over casual gamers. There is no such thing as a "real gamer"; everyone who plays games, no matter what they are, whether it is farmville and flappy bird, to CoD or BF, to LoL or WoW, or anything else are "real gamers". 

That's it.

Totally agree.

A gamer is a person passionate to video games and all things related. It means you LOVE to play video games. Now, I wouldn't say someone who plays 10min a day or a little more and only few times a week is a gamer...I would say that's just someone who likes to play from time to time just because they are bored.

In my opinion, a gamer is a person who plays NOT only because he is bored, but because he fully enjoys it. You can divide gamers in casual, hardcore and such, but in the end, they are all gamers.

My friend once told me I'm not a real gamer because I play more singleplayer than multiplayer games and I've seen tons of other people say this, mostly hardcore MP players. That is not true, it's just stupid...it's like some kind of MP fanboy crap.

I personally prefer playing with gamers who play different kinds of video games rather than someone who sticks to one MP game for 2 or more years and just keeps on going like that forever, but he is stil a gamer.

I enjoy playing SP games, new and older and at the same time I enjoy playing MP. I like to stick to one MP game and get better at it while having fun. When I get bored of it, I move to another.

Not anyone can call themselves a gamer, however if you love it and have passion for playing, I will consider you a gamer. Simple as that.

Variloh likes this

Means not having delusions about being somehow different from other people. Playing video games is just a hobby or a pass time entertainment, nothing more. And don't give me crap about "eeh, but Joe and other youtubers are doing it for work, hurr, hurr, hurr"! All they do is incorporate work with pleasure.

Do you play video games? Yes? Congratulations, You're a Gamer!

Why is it just video games?

Gamer =  the player of games

Why is it just video games?

Gamer =  the player of games

I think gamer is a term for someone who plays video games and board games, not just any games, so that's why he said, "Do you play video games? Yes? Congratulations, You're a Gamer!"