• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sigma081

Admit it, the Questing System Blows

41 posts in this topic

So yesterday my bad ass Breton nightblade who wears heavy armor and wields a shield and mace got a quest to go face the infamous Goblin King and save the city from being overrun by his army. Sounded pretty epic and I was pumped about kicking his ass. So I go to fight my way through his horde of goblin warriors only to find the camp already slaughtered by other players (fucking lame), then when I got to the Goblin King he was laying face down next to his tent with 5 people standing around waiting to kill him. When he respawned I got one good hit on him before he died. End of quest.

This also happened when I was sent to kill "Deathclaw," the Kajit drug lord, the necromancer in the Nord shrine, and many, many others.

And if fucking sucks. Other douche bags fuck up the sense of immersion and turning what could be epic quests into trivialities. It literally sucks the fun right out of the game and leaves you with a hollow experience that makes you frustrated and pissed off.

It's obvious that the game should have been set up like the original Guild Wars where all areas outside the main city are instanced. That way you and your party can enjoy yourselves without 50 douchebags fucking things up. And if that would have been technically impossible then the questing system should have been set up like in GW2 where quests scale with the amount of players present and encourage cooperation instead of this outdated WoW system.

Also, resource nodes not being instanced is fucking shitty too.

That part is annoying is true.. they couldve made the monster stronger too wouldve been better..
And some quest in other faction like dagger fall that completes automatically without doing anything..
and some quest doesnt show making me and my gf confuse because we want to do the quests together..

GW2 didn't have scaling quests they had scaling events.....

Edited by fluffyzykone, attack on other members.

tofutuna likes this

GW2 didn't have scaling quests they had scaling events......also think you might be a douchebag just because you want to call others who play a different way then you douchebags

The event system in GW2 (along with the hearts) is the quest system. Put your thinking cap on next time Einstein.

Then you're a douchebag for calling me a douchebag for calling others douchebags. And the douchebag cycle continues...

The event system in GW2 (along with the hearts) is the quest system. Put your thinking cap on next time Einstein.

Then you're a douchebag for calling me a douchebag for calling others douchebags. And the douchebag cycle continues...

Those jimmies

I already know the questing isn't good in this game, this is one of the many reasons why I did not buy it

Gone too likes this

Really? That's your complaint? It's an MMO, of course there are other adventurers running around killing stuff. Truly guild wars 1 felt more like a single player game to me with some multiplayer content, the instanced lands outside the towns made it feel extremely lonely especially if I didn't plan to get a group together ahead of time. I personally like the way people just run in and team up to help bring down an anchor without the whole "LFG 2 tanks 1 heals" etc shouting in the chat, it's much more dynamic. Yes there are some times when the boss is already downed and has to respawn, but it's only the first week, the first couple days for people who didn't pre-order. Everyone is fairly close in level so they all are trying to kill the same mobs. In time the levels will spread out, especially after the first month when subs drop off.

I think they need to explore the idea of adding more phasing to the game, so dungeons can be private, etc. But I don't think that warrants writing off the game entirely.

Sigma081 likes this

I agree that this is a bit of a problem, but there are many quests where I find myself the only one around or at best 1 or 2 others. We usually end up teaming up and supporting eachother without even saying a word.

So for me, I'd have to say it -sometimes- blows.

Actually, thinking about it more.. while there are quests that anyone can spam and ks, there are quests that are for soloing(Prophets quest, mages/fighters guild). And solo group(private dungeons) Which can be said true for most games as most games have both of these at the same time. the one thing other games have is a dungeon/cave/public dungeon where players can meet up inside without needing to group and its refreshing!

And I think in its own way.. its good.. some people including me.. feels like there should be dungeons that can be entered/left by other people while you are inside questin.. it feels more realistic that way and not lonely. Besides as i said its not only ESO that does it.. other games have it as well.. at the very least  you dont wait 10-60mins for those boss quest respawn just because other players KSed you unlike other games. 

Although this is a pain now.. its good and refreshing and fun in the future.. When its only a few people on the lowbies.. or if you are on of the people who are high levels.. Too much people is a pain yes.. but it would feel fun when theres a few people left in the area and you are doing this quest and then you see another player just one it would feel refresh and not lonely and that you are not alone. YOU MIGHT NOT WANT THAT but other people do. why the hell did you play an mmo if you are gonna complain about this.. lol

• the only thing that bothers me is that some bug differs from person to person. it can happen to you and not me. hence the confusion.
  • the game is new its justified to hate its newer features like we did in other games, but i think this one you will like as you grow more into it
  • its true that some games you like at the start like say gw2 since i did loved it. that one though you grew to hate it.. its kinda empty and pure grind in a way.. specially those hearts.. 

this is my opinion.. but feel free to argue with it or hate it..

Really? That's your complaint? It's an MMO, of course there are other adventurers running around killing stuff.

GW and GW2 both overcame this problem but ESO decided to use an outdated questing model that's over a decade old. Instead of evolving they said "fuck it" and essentially ripped off the WoW/Everquest method of questing. And it fucking blows. Really, the only good thing I can say about it is that there are no "Go kill X enemy until it drops X amount of items" style quests.

And I think in its own way.. its good.. some people including me.. feels like there should be dungeons that can be entered/left by other people while you are inside questin.. it feels more realistic that way and not lonely. Besides as i said its not only ESO that does it.. other games have it as well.. at the very least  you dont wait 10-60mins for those boss quest respawn just because other players KSed you unlike other games. 

Although this is a pain now.. its good and refreshing and fun in the future.. When its only a few people on the lowbies.. or if you are on of the people who are high levels.. Too much people is a pain yes.. but it would feel fun when theres a few people left in the area and you are doing this quest and then you see another player just one it would feel refresh and not lonely and that you are not alone. YOU MIGHT NOT WANT THAT but other people do. why the hell did you play an mmo if you are gonna complain about this.. lol

• the only thing that bothers me is that some bug differs from person to person. it can happen to you and not me. hence the confusion.
  • the game is new its justified to hate its newer features like we did in other games, but i think this one you will like as you grow more into it
  • its true that some games you like at the start like say gw2 since i did loved it. that one though you grew to hate it.. its kinda empty and pure grind in a way.. specially those hearts.. 

this is my opinion.. but feel free to argue with it or hate it..

No it doesn't feel more realistic. Standing there with 5 other people waiting for an important quest enemy to respawn so you can kill him is fucking lame and devalues the experience and your character as a hero. And as for other games having this problem, yeah it fucking sucks in them as well.

It will never be "good and refreshing" in the future because in a questing system like this your fellow players are not there to help you, they compete with you for mobs, nodes,quest objectives etc. In GW2 when you meet other players you work together towards a common goal but not in games like this where they ks and take your nodes and overall ruin the immersion.

The bottom line is that GW2 evolved past this problem but ESO didn't and it drags the game down severely.

I personally like the fact that most of the game isn't instanced.  But the quests - and indeed all the writing - needed to have been designed to reflect this, and they haven't.  There's way too many quests in which I'm personally the Special One saving the kingdom from baddies, with no recognition that there's 80 other people doing exactly the same thing.

Sigma081 likes this

I personally like the fact that most of the game isn't instanced.  But the quests - and indeed all the writing - needed to have been designed to reflect this, and they haven't.  There's way too many quests in which I'm personally the Special One saving the kingdom from baddies, with no recognition that there's 80 other people doing exactly the same thing.

That isn't the point to this game.

this kind of thing is to be expected from a mmo

for me atleast the main atraction of mmo's has always ben the endgame group content

Artmar likes this

For ONCE I found a game I like to share with my brother and that fucking game won't allow group member to help each other in a quest that one have already done???

We don't have the same timetable him and I. So I level and he level but we have 2 nights when we can share gaming. And now I learn by playing that if Iv done a quest and he did not, all I'll see is a fucking arrow indicator and (i play a healer) can't even see or heal him? HELL later on, I won't be able to have XP from our mob kill if for example im 13 and he is 11 and we are redoing a quest Iv done already.

I don't believe that. What brainwash headshit think of that! 

Plz oh plz say I'm wrong. I heard at least area effect heal might heal 'invisible player' but.. WHAT THE HELL. Why can I just help fellow brother do his quest????? Or guildmates for that matter.

fucking buggy game.

im pissed. it's ridiculous. Iv chase my brother for 1 hrs in the werewolf village (lvl 12 chain quest) just maybe area healing him. 

It's not a bug, quests phase areas so chances are if you've completed a quest then you won't be able to help anyone who hasn't.

They won't be changing it either because that's how the entire game works.

So you tell me. Friends who have not the same timetable are screw.

Casual player like me who play when I can to level, and want to group with friends or familly when they can as casual player too won't be able to help each other?

Bravo - bravo. 

Stupid as the stupidiest thing I'v seen in a mmo since EQ 1 where when you died you loose xp and even lvl.

As a VET Gomly - if you have access to them - send them my regard.

GW and GW2 both overcame this problem but ESO decided to use an outdated questing model that's over a decade old. Instead of evolving they said "fuck it" and essentially ripped off the WoW/Everquest method of questing. And it fucking blows. Really, the only good thing I can say about it is that there are no "Go kill X enemy until it drops X amount of items" style quests.

No it doesn't feel more realistic. Standing there with 5 other people waiting for an important quest enemy to respawn so you can kill him is fucking lame and devalues the experience and your character as a hero. And as for other games having this problem, yeah it fucking sucks in them as well.

It will never be "good and refreshing" in the future because in a questing system like this your fellow players are not there to help you, they compete with you for mobs, nodes,quest objectives etc. In GW2 when you meet other players you work together towards a common goal but not in games like this where they ks and take your nodes and overall ruin the immersion.

The bottom line is that GW2 evolved past this problem but ESO didn't and it drags the game down severely.

gw2 actually gets boring as it goes imo..
level 78 leveling up to 79 from level 5 quests in a matter of mins........
level 5 killing a high level
level 5 still gets aggro from high levels..

it feels empty in the end..

Besides Gw2 still have the waiting on a boss spawn and ksing and killing it.. it didnt graduate from it..
Scaling does nothing they still dropped like flies.. and its the same for ESO.. 

the only difference is that.. ESO have more of it(public quests).. and less private quests..

The thing that's missing in this Kill stealing Node stealing game is Open world PvP steal my node I kill you steal my mob I kill you

however as it is, there are no down sides to ripping other players off.

Very Much like the level capped toon (on the PvP Server) that goes to the lvl 1-10 area and one shots newbies and then proudly proclaims "It's a PvP server Carebear"

Quest system is fine-ish. Except for the phasing, which is poorly implemented*.

*It shouldn't phase out anyone until the entire group has completed the objective(s), and is ready for the next part. Joe and Manda (Amanda or is it just Manda?) found this out several times while questing on the same quest; Joe would complete a section and instantly Manda's character would dematerialize.

It's not hard to get enough hits in to gain loot, and guaranteed quest completion.

The bugs don't apply for obvious "not intended" reasons :P

That isn't the point to this game.

ROFL, okay then, what is the point of the game? I've heard some pretty bad excuses for the quest system in ESO but this may be the funniest.

this kind of thing is to be expected from a mmo

Everyone who's been saying this is like a woman with battered wife syndrome.  You've dealt with the bullshit for so long that you just can't fathom anything different or better. It's like when one slave working on the plantation asks "Why can't we be free?" and another replies, "It's just always been this way."

gw2 actually gets boring as it goes imo..

level 78 leveling up to 79 from level 5 quests in a matter of mins........

level 5 killing a high level

level 5 still gets aggro from high levels..

it feels empty in the end..

Besides Gw2 still have the waiting on a boss spawn and ksing and killing it.. it didnt graduate from it..

Scaling does nothing they still dropped like flies.. and its the same for ESO.. 

the only difference is that.. ESO have more of it(public quests).. and less private quests..

100% bullshit.

• You don't go up levels in minutes. With an EXP booster and smart PVE power leveling strategy the most you can get is about 5 levels in 4 hours or so.

• A low level can't kill a significantly high level monster (in most cases) unless they're in an area where level scaling is in effect and that is typically only LS PVE content.

• Aggro in GW2 is based off of three things: DPS, proximity to the mob, and toughness on your armor. Your level has nothing to do with it.

• There is no KSing in GW2, have you even played the game? So long as you help kill the mob you get credit.

• Champs spawn relatively fast unless they're connected to an event chain, there is only waiting when it comes to world bosses which are on a set timetable so there is no need to stand around waiting for them.

• Champs only drop like flies if you have a massive zerg like in Queensdale or the Temple runs. Have you tried fighting the giant in Nageling with only 2 or 3 people? It takes skill and strategy to win, as with most champs. Or  better yet, go try and solo the Megalodon in the Straights of Devastation and tell me how fast he drops like a fly.

I don't think you played GW2 enough to really grasp how different it is than the decades old "go here do x" quest system because it is NOTHING like ESO. When you meet other players in GW2 you are glad because the game naturally makes you work together for common goals. In ESO and older MMOs you're competing with other players who steal your mobs, steal your nodes, and steal your quest objectives. Players end up being nothing but a nuisance to one another.

I don't think you played GW2 enough to really grasp how different it is than the decades old "go here do x" quest system because it is NOTHING like ESO. When you meet other players in GW2 you are glad because the game naturally makes you work together for common goals. In ESO and older MMOs you're competing with other players who steal your mobs, steal your nodes, and steal your quest objectives. Players end up being nothing but a nuisance to one another.

I agree with most of your points about GW2 (It's a good game, I enjoyed it, but it got boring fast for me and that's solely a personal preference), but that point I quoted I don't agree with. I was going through a public dungeon in the Grahtwood last night and there were A LOT of mobs, like 5 or 6 on top of each other and being that it was a cave system and I'm a squishy clothy, I had trouble avoiding all their attacks. I was relieved when another player came along to help me defeat them. I switched to healing and kept them healthy and they waited for me when I fell behind and I waited for them when they fell behind and we took turns on any chests we came across. When we finally got to the end boss we had gathered up a party of about eight or nine people. Sure it made the boss relatively easy to defeat, but we were all credited with the kill allowing the quest to continue. 

And that's the kind of experience I've had with the entire game. Everyone is generally very polite and considerate and help each other out. Of course there's been a few douche bags, but they have been the exception rather than the rule. Especially playing in the AJSA everyone has been particularly helpful. 

Finally, none of the quests in ESO that I've come across have been fetch quests or kill quests. Granted I'm only up to about level 20 so that could change in the higher levels, but that's not usually Bethesda's style. Bethesda has always been about story telling and that's what all their quests do: tell a story. So no, I don't think the quest system blows at all. Plenty about the game does, but not the quest system.

The phasing is the problem here, not the questing system itself. Admit it, it's so much better than having to read 4 paragraphs on why some farmer needs you to being him the stomachs of 5 wolves.

illutian and emeraldeye like this

i dunno what is the point of this thread.. if its about us admitting or you trying to convince us.. or asking us to convince u its not..

If that is the case then my answer is no theres nothing to admit
my only prob is bugs and that is all

as for 78 turning 79 on level 5 mobs.. you might think it is unlikely but it happened to me.. i returned to the game 3 months ago..
and i found my character deleted(not that it matters) but there is a new character a 78elementalist(which i dunno nothing about prolly the hackers character, again not that it matters) with less than 10% xp so it still needs 90% xp to level up.. since i am kinda new to the game again
i was just spamming killing mobs and doin the event........ and it was really a matter of minuites.. that it turned level 79...

level 5 killing a high level.. sorry about that.. i meant.. a level 5 mob killing a level 79 elementalist.. and aggroing.. when you just want to be at peace since you are already a high level and cleared that area already.. but no.. you cant be at peace.. you must get rape by 3-4 level 10 centaurs..

As for KSing.. saying that wasnt my intention.. i know that you get reward base on your participation.. the thing is on ESO while there isnt the reward system Gw2 has.. there are no ks so long as you land a hit.. in a way you might think its a fail.. in a way its not much and not like gw2.. but its better than most mmos that they are really ksing for that boss.. that you have to be the one to last hit in order to get the credit.. here in ESO you dont.. 

As for helping each other in events in Gw2.. It is the same in ESO.. or have you never played ESO much grasp it? just last night. my gf and i come upon a boss area(skull logo on map), and the rings that fall from the sky(tornado logo? on map)... we couldnt take it.. so we had waited for other people... my gf who is a semi healer semi dps.. turned full heal.. and i am just ccing and focus on killing the mobs attacking healers and range people... 

As for bosses dropping like flies in gw2.. there are.. in case you havent notice.. if a bunch of people gank up on it.. i dunno because you are high level already thats why you have forgotten or u prolly didnt notice.. there were.. i just played the game before eso came out because i was bored and there were elites / bosses that are hard but u prolly can take on your own.. but when theres a bunch of people in it.. it dies like a fly.. like ESO..

But there are also bosses and events.. that you cant take on your own hence thats where we help each other like gw2 (rings/skull bosses)
You said you want solo.. There are also quests that are really for SOLO... you wanna be teleported to another instance channel? you got your wish it also teleports you to a dif channel

So in the end.. are you complaining because its not GW2?
are you the same as other Wow fans complaining its not WOW?
or are you complaining because its not Skyrim/morrowind/oblivion?

You complain too much on ESO.. other games has what it has.. other games doesnt have what it have.. it has its good points.. it has its bad points.. 
its a dif game.. for the good or the bad.. it has both..  just learn to accept it.. or  just quit..

Let it be that.. lets not argue or laugh with each others comments..
we all have our own opinion

I am not a fan boy.. I dont worship skyrim and oblivion.. i dont say "fuz rho dah" or whatev
didnt get to play morrowind..
I am stating my opinion because i played the game.. 

hence my answer and verdict..

No, theres nothing to admit.. cuz i like it this way.. 

emeraldeye likes this

Personally I enjoy the current questing system. The quests themselves feel incredibly similar to the quests I encountered in Skyrim, Obilivion, etc.

I never feel like a messanger or a deliverly man in other MMORPGs that I've played before but like in the tradition of the Elder Scrolls I feel like an important person, whose charged to unravel the mystery that surrounds the events. While there are quests spread across the globe, the storytelling presents each quest in a way that everything feels connected.

Granted some tasks feel mundane for what should be an epic journey across Tameriel but I never felt that the quests were lacking the spirit of the Elder Scrolls with emphasis on exploration and with some quests offering different and option paths toward progress.