• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Apex Spartan

I want to buy Diablo 3, but...

13 posts in this topic

I need to know if it's worth it.

I saw a thread about the same thing, but it didn't answer the questions I needed to know and I don't want to be a necromancer since the thread is about a month old now so instead of spending my time to explain myself there, I will just ask here.

I've spent like 30 minutes now going around different sites and reading people's opinions, but it's all like, "Ah, it's worth it." or "I played for hours non-stop" then some say, "DRM stops me from playing."

It doesn't answer and satisfy my requirements :P

I'm a bit of tricky a bastard when it comes to buying games, when I want to buy a game I expect to play it for at least a good 50-100 hours...is Diablo 3 worth that time?

Now, here are most important factors for me when it comes to games like Diablo 3. Use them as guidelines to give me a basic idea if this game is worth it. Don't just say, "it's good", "it's bad or "DRM ruins it." I don't care, I can look past DRM sometimes.

Here is what I want to know about the game:

1. Gameplay/Combat

2. Story

3. Amount of hours

4. Character leveling/loot

Gameplay/Combat

-Is the gameplay and action in the game well made? 

95% of this type of game is action, slaying and killing. If it's well executed, I'm sure it's worth my time so I'm wondering, is gameplay and action in Diablo 3 good? Good in a way that's it's actually fun to slay all the demons and run through 100s of mobs and not boring so that after 1 hour of slaying I say, "the combat sucks, gonna quit this game."

It's important to me that gameplay and combat in these types of games are well executed. Is Diablo 3 combat and gameplay good?

Story

-Second most important thing to me...is the story good?

I only played Diablo 2 when I was still a kid and I barley remember it, so I don't really care, if Diablo's 2 story was better or if the previous Diablo stories don't match up with 3rd. I just want to know if Diablo 3 story for itself is good enough? Now I don't really need it to blow my mind, I just care that the story doesn't suck...it doesn't have to be a masterpiece. 

Amount of hours

-What I mean by this is, is the game still fun after like 30 or 40 hours? How much hours can one put into this game and still have a good time?

This isn't an important factor, but I don't want to play this game if 10 or 20 hours later I already get bored. I want to have some value in it by replaying the game and add another 20 hours to it. Is the game worth spending my time on?

What features does the game have? Is it the type of game that I just play through once and I'm done and the only thing left is to play it on a higher difficulty? Are there any PVP stuff...is the story line at least long enough?

Character leveling/loot

-Also a important factor for me is leveling and loot. Is leveling well made or is it linear? Like if I level up, I just get stronger or can I actually choose special abilities that make my character unqiue?

Is looting system good? I heard of some kind of auction house in this game where you can sell special loot or something...I have no idea lol

Feel free to tell me about it.

And that's just about it, these 4 things above is what I'm interested in...use them as guidelines to make me a proper reply, please don't post, "it's good and worth the money."

I need some detail so feel free also to add some extra features that make the game unique and things like that.

If you truly enjoyed the game then pretend you are Blizzard's salesman, sell me the game and make me play it. :D

Most of your game time will come from playing all the characters.

Gameplay is ok it's gotten to the point where i avoid mobs of enemies because they take too long to take out but are usually worth killing because you know... EXP.

Since it's the third game in the line up so the story does have a line to follow, going into it i had no idea what was going on except "oh looks guys with red health bars, lets kill them" so i had to watch lore videos to get up to speed.

Leveling is a shadow of it's former self but it's still got variety to it. Leveling up opens doors for you to explore more of what your abilities can do, but no leveling up certain skills or traits but you do get passives that can change how a character can play or operate.
The auction house got closed recently so that is dead. looting got a major overhaul with the new DLC (you don't need the DLC to get the new loot system) rarer items are more common and you get better loot over all so it seems like you actually got rewarded.

I get games on a whim so I'm pretty much at neanderthal level of game reviewer and I'm easily entertained, But i'd recommend it IF you have friends that are willing to play, but that's just me personally, hell if you do decide to get it let me know I'd be down to slay some minions of hell with you.

Addition: I've clocked in 80 hours total on Diablo 3 67 we're on just the demon hunter.

Apex Spartan likes this

Here, watch this video. It can help your decision. (It's pretty dated, but it is somewhat relevant.)

As for my decision, the game is pretty good. They have a Starter Edition you can play for free, check it out for yourself. (You need a Battle.net account and client downloaded into your computer.)

Apex Spartan likes this

Most of your game time will come from playing all the characters.

Gameplay is ok it's gotten to the point where i avoid mobs of enemies because they take too long to take out but are usually worth killing because you know... EXP.

Since it's the third game in the line up so the story does have a line to follow, going into it i had no idea what was going on except "oh looks guys with red health bars, lets kill them" so i had to watch lore videos to get up to speed.

Leveling is a shadow of it's former self but it's still got variety to it. Leveling up opens doors for you to explore more of what your abilities can do, but no leveling up certain skills or traits but you do get passives that can change how a character can play or operate.

The auction house got closed recently so that is dead. looting got a major overhaul with the new DLC (you don't need the DLC to get the new loot system) rarer items are more common and you get better loot over all so it seems like you actually got rewarded.

I get games on a whim so I'm pretty much at neanderthal level of game reviewer and I'm easily entertained, But i'd recommend it IF you have friends that are willing to play, but that's just me personally, hell if you do decide to get it let me know I'd be down to slay some minions of hell with you.

Addition: I've clocked in 80 hours total on Diablo 3 67 we're on just the demon hunter.

Awesome!

80 hours is not bad. I might play the game with a friend anyway so yeah, should be fun. If I decide to buy the game, I will let you know so we can play, if you are up for it.

And thanks Demon, downloading Starter Edition right now.

DemonsColt likes this

And thanks Demon, downloading Starter Edition right now.

No problem! :lol:

The Starter Edition allows you to play all the way up to the Skeleton King in the main quest, along with side quests and a level cap of course. You get access to all 4 classes in the game (excluding the new classes).

I also kinda got suckered in by the character trailers *cough cough* demon hunter *cough cough*, I kinda wish they more covered the characters personal stories with actual character related story arcs instead of the overall one that all characters slough through.

It looks like I will be getting this game as soon as I put my money on a credit card lol. I would go now, but banks will close soon :/ 

Lazy bastards work till 7pm only, at least the bank I need.

I have 3 days to test out the Starter Edition to confirm my current decision, but it looks like I will get this game. If you guys still play it, we could get together and kick some ass. :D

It looks like I will be getting this game as soon as I put my money on a credit card lol. I would go now, but banks will close soon :/ 

I have 3 days to test out the Starter Edition to confirm my current decision, but it looks like I will get this game. If you guys still play it, we could get together and kick some ass. :D

I am considering buying the game, but I am having fun with Torchlight II.

I'll buy it when it is opportune. 

I am considering buying the game, but I am having fun with Torchlight II.

I'll buy it when it is opportune. 

Ah, I thought you already played the game hah, didn't read right.

I found the game for $35 lol, although it's $39 on the official site, but in my currency that's actually quiet a large difference so I will just get it from the other site.

If you are interested there is an unofficial AJSA clan with over 100 members.

Apex Spartan likes this

Ah, I thought you already played the game hah, didn't read right.

I found the game for $35 lol, although it's $39 on the official site, but in my currency that's actually quiet a large difference so I will just get it from the other site.

I only played the Starter Edition, the online only thing kept me from buying it, but that should be fixed.

Apex Spartan likes this

I only played the Starter Edition, the online only thing kept me from buying it, but that should be fixed.

Not exactly, it still needs a connection to Battle.net to play. I really hate how I get disconnected when I'm nearly finished with the last bounty for an area. Even more so when it happens while fighting a boss.

I played the game when it first released and I enjoyed it a lot. After a while I felt that the game started following a pay to win template especially with the real money auction house that they used to have. This pretty much ruined a very good game in my opinion. They just released an expansion for the game which pretty much changed the whole template of the game and how gear is acquired. I have to tell you I really enjoyed the changes that they have made. Here is a NEW video review from IGN of the Diablo 3 expansion and it includes and explains a lot of the great changes they made. I would recommend you take a look at it. Anyway if you do get it I play often my Blizz Battle Tag ID SgtSmoke#1875. send me a friend request and I'll play with you. AJSA actually has a pretty big Diablo 3 community that is currently playing the game, but I personally feel that there is a lack of leadership and organization as far as the actual running of the AJSA Diablo 3 Guild goes. Basically there is none which is a shame considering how many of us play everyday.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/29/diablo-3-reaper-of-souls-review

Smoke