• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

JarlBalgruuftheGreater

Anyone tired of survival and pixel games?

24 posts in this topic

Honestly I'm getting kinda tired of all these survival-zombie-building type games that are out now. Let's see, we have Minecraft, Starbound, Rust, DayZ and those are just the ones I know. I'm also a bit tired of the retro 16bit, 8bit style games that are all over the internet, especially steam. I play Minecraft, but that's just for the creative and building stuff with my friends, I don't play survival much anymore. The thing that bothers me is when I see someone on the internet go "on I only play indie games because everything else is just copy-and-paste" or something like that; and a lot of indie games are like that. Now don't get me wrong, I still like a lot of indie games and I don't want to start a flame war but it seems like a lot of these types of games are drowning the market.  

JoelMattGarcia likes this

Not exactly a fan of either here, though some of the latter have been to my interest don't mind the retro aesthetic even though I'm a stern believer that games were not better back then.

But if they exist and are prolific in the market it means there's a huge demand and they're not really harmful to the industry like some other things we have so I'm fine with it.

Most survival games aren't that good, but they're popular, and that's why they keep coming...

My survival and pixel games spree has reached it's peak, yes I still find a few of them fun....but, I am just to tired and burnt out and have to many of those games in my library already. Sure, I would give them a 'try' but I highly doubt I will buy them. So, yeah, I am tired of them but the newer gamers tend to be drawn to those types of games at first like moths to a bright object. Eventually they get burnt out and will just say 'enough' and then they play other types. 

Minecraft died to me a long time ago and the only other survival game i play is DayZ and that's not often, but i kinda like it......for about 5 minutes.

the real question is how can people stand watching YouTuber's play them for hours on end, my brain would explode after 3 min.

I was always a fan of zombie, then they got really popular, same with survival. I would like to play them but I don't have the PC to at the moment, so I haven't been able to get bored.

If it sells it will be made no matter how bored of em people are.

Give a survival game (zombie or otherwise) that didn't devolve into a pointless PvP gankfest and I might be interested again. Give me a survival game where actual survival is the main goal and I might be interested again.  

Well the only one I've ever bothered with was Starbound.

I've played the others, and Starbound is by far my personal favorite considering you have an entire universe to explore.

It's not even done, and I still prefer it over the others. Although I can respect Minecraft, and to a lesser extent, Terraria.

I had a feeling there was going to be "rip-offs" of minecraft after it got popular, and sure enough... I decided to play the waiting game to see what game will reign supreme or at least gain my attention. Starbound won. First pixel builder I got. Not disappointed.

Most of the survival game are un-completed... Like dayz, warz, project zomboie, dead linger.. (the list go on)

or are not what i want (wasteland 2, how to survive,)

that what make me burn out of those game.

If it sells it will be made no matter how bored of em people are.

The very fact that it sells, proves the opposite.

But I'm completely alright with it,because I buy the ones I like,and not care for the rest.

The notion of releasing a bunch of these types of games does not bother me at all. If it's a success for them,then great, and if it's not,well they'll probably learn their lesson of not releasing so many survival/pixel games and move on to something more innovative for the current market.

add zombie games to the list and yes i agree

yawwwnnn

What we really need are more games of this genre that are actually finished. It's all open-beta, early access stuff. Only one I can think of off the top of my head that is a complete game is State of Decay

AveragePegasus likes this

Add me to the list of being bored to death of these survival/zombie/pixel games, tho Space Engineers does look interesting and moves away from the stupid zombie motif.

Zombies are done to death.

"Retro" is done to death.

Survival is also done to death.

Add me to the list of being bored to death of these survival/zombie/pixel games, tho Space Engineers does look interesting and moves away from the stupid zombie motif.

Zombies are done to death.

"Retro" is done to death.

Survival is also done to death.

I think survival would be done to death if it actually ever got done. 

Also. Zombies. to death..hehehe....eh nevermind >_>

When a game is a hit you can expect clone games to follow, and indie games are no exception.

I personally dislike this notion. I am going to preface this by saying I am not bashing anyone's opinion.

I don't understand topics like this. It is not like survival is the only genre being made. Stop playing that genre until you are eventually in the mood for it. You are not being forced to buy/play those games. When I read a topic like this, I am under the impression that people want the devs to no longer release games like that for an extended period of time, as in the entire genre being non existent for x amount of years. That isn't fair for those who are always interested in that genre. 

Just my two-cents. Again, not hating on anyone's opinion.

Berserker likes this

Like Buradori, I don't have a problem with any genre continually being made. My gripe with survival/pixel/voxels games however, Is that they're never done. Like Doshka said, It's all open Beta, or early access, and most of them have a lot of issues as a result of it. Even Minecraft Is in a continued state of development, with what I feel Is really lackluster updates. Mods are all that's keeping that game alive at this point.

Which all sucks, because the new Voxel titles look really fun, but Cube World Is pretty boned, there haven't been updates there for months, and that Trion MMO Is also a good while away.

The genre itself Is fine, but If you really think about It, It hasn't really produced a single, great, finished title yet.

Doshka17 likes this

never really interested in Survival and most "new school" Pixelgames. But Broforce and Volgar the Viking looks kinda interesting.

I get bored fast with pixel games

I don't play survival games, though there are lots of them lately. Only one i actually liked was Minecraft (If you want to call it a survival game, i do, because i always play on hardcore, building isn't even that fun! ) Though sadly ye get bored quickly.

Pixel games and survival games are Okay... though it needs inovation in my opinion.

Survival Games are still one of my favorites, honestly. 

The only survival games I play is Fallout NV on hardcore mode and Skyrim with the Frostfall, Primary Needs, and Deadly Dragons mods.

My favorite pixel games are Hotline Miami and FEZ. Apart from that, I don't play much of these genres.

Minecraft is probably the best game I ever played. And I love so many games. Minecraft just has it all and the community for it is fun and create so many mods, servers and plugins for it that the game is literally every game genre built from the community. I can't say that for many other games.

I'm not tired of survival games because they're still considerably new in the market compared to the dozens of fps, sports and casual games that enter the market so much more often.