• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

LordOfPit

Gold Spammers and Botting in Elder Scrolls Online

19 posts in this topic

Dear ESO players,

As anyone who played any MMO and now plays ESO knows, we have a problem with Gold Spammers and Botting in ESO. This phenomenon hurts players on two levels:

1. Bots are gold-farming at a rate which enables gold-sellers/spammers.
  2. Bots are spawn-camping game bosses in public dungeons thus preventing legitimate players from killing the bosses and getting the loot.

You can decide for yourself which symptom is more severe and which one you care about but the problem is there and ZENIMAX cannot do a thing about it, but... we can!

The idea is simple. We do not report bot-characters and wait for ZENIMAX to research the incident and ban the account. No, we FIGHT fire with fire and when I say fire I mean that in the most literal way!

What we need to do is:

1. First get your character to a higher level, for example if you want to burn some botters in Glenumbra (Lv15) get yourself to Lv20+.
  2. Go into a public dungeon in the area you chose and seek out a group of characters with odd-looking names who are simply standing around doing nothing but waiting for the Boss to spawn.
  3. Figure out where the closest NPC AoE-Casters are and try to pull a couple of NPC AoE-Casters back to the botters.
  4. Stand within the botters group and let the AoE-Casters do their thing. Use potions and self-heals/buffs as needed.
  5. Repeat for as long as you care to. Eventually the botters will die and hopefully the person running the bot will be displeased with that but there is NOTHING they can HONESTLY do.

Perhaps if we players could arrange ourselves in a Guild that is aimed at burning Botters and make this an unofficial game-based activity, we could fight back and help both our fellow players and ZENIMAX!

I know some people may have the idea that players who run bots are simply playing the game "their" way and messing with them is basically harassing them, but keep this in mind: 1) Botting is against the EULA of ANY MMO out there; 2) Boss-camping hurts players because it essentially wastes the time of legitimate players out there.

It's one thing to camp the Boss when you're sitting there and actually fighting, it's totally another issue when you're doing the same running a Bot.

To anyone who wants to see how bad this is, check out this google-search link.

Thanks for reading,

LoP

smuniz83, Saad1415 and dgwoods like this

You know, the bot could be just a real person just being a huge dick, so ya gottta watch out for that too.

You know, the bot could be just a real person just being a huge dick, so ya gottta watch out for that too.

In my opinion, if you're running a bot in a social game (MMO) you're being a huge dick by definition, so what is there to watch out for?  :huh: 

Believe me, once the AoE's start landing and you see those botters stand in the fire and take it till they die, you don't feel sorry for them much. After all, if they didn't want to die they could simply move.  ;)

smuniz83 likes this

They could report you for harassing them !!

Best thing to do is report them and let Zenimax Online Studios do their job.

smuniz83 and Doshka17 like this

They could report you for harassing them !!

Best thing to do is report them and let Zenimax Online Studios do their job.

They can report me for repeatedly staying in an AoE attack? And still have their account playable after explaining to ZENIMAX they were running a bot against the EULA?!  :o 

They can report me for repeatedly staying in an AoE attack? And still have their account playable after explaining to ZENIMAX they were running a bot against the EULA?!  :o 

If you are purposely making a 'train' and bringing it to the boss location for the sole purpose to hinder someone....then yeah they can report you. Whether they will is another discussion but what if it isnt a bot/gold seller and just a player with a funny name farming the dungeon boss for loot/gold. They will report you, i would at least.

If you are purposely making a 'train' and bringing it to the boss location for the sole purpose to hinder someone....then yeah they can report you. Whether they will is another discussion but what if it isnt a bot/gold seller and just a player with a funny name farming the dungeon boss for loot/gold. They will report you, i would at least.

If it's a Player (which will be proven by the player actually moving from the AoE and not repeatedly taking damage till it drops then coming back to the EXACT same spot) then I'll even HEAL it myself!  :lol: 

dgwoods likes this

This is just a classic case of the people taking the law in their own hands and thinking they will be praised for it.

This is just a classic case of the people taking the law in their own hands and thinking they will be praised for it.

I'm not doing this for praise, I'm doing this because when there are several botters camping a Boss spawn point the players who are legitimately playing the game and merely want to kill the Boss get their loot and finish the dungeon sometimes have to wait while the botters kill and loot the Boss repeatedly and players who attack the Boss don't even get a confirmed kill on it because they couldn't do enough damage to it!

Regarding the whole "taking the law in their own hands" bit, that's just ludicrous. I'm not taking any laws into my hands. If anything I'm offering ZENIMAX a solution that is implemented by the players and will cost them (ZENIMAX) nothing to implement. ;)  

dgwoods likes this

I have wondered why Zenimax doesn't insta ban the goldspammers in /zone chat or at a spawn like this. Truthh is it's more money for them as they will just buy a new code and do it again until banned.

Well with random letter names they are usually bot groups run by a "site". But depending on the size they could have a handler who checks up on them, ran into one in GW2 when I killed all 35 of his bots in the WvWvW zone.

my gf and i use a skill that pushes or pull the mob away and to the boxes.. makes bots takes longer to take loot and make them susceptible to glitch like getting stuck and etc.

I wrote to Bethesda, Zenimax, asking them to make a patch which makes it so once you kill a boss character, it never respawns for you once you get the quest complete message.

This will fuck them up even more, since they can continue to stand around, but they'll never see the boss (which you can) and nothing they do will interfere at all. SO they can try and fire or attack where you are fighting the boss, but their attacks won't do any damage because they already killed the boss the first time round.

I hope my idea is used.

I wrote to Bethesda, Zenimax, asking them to make a patch which makes it so once you kill a boss character, it never respawns for you once you get the quest complete message.

This will fuck them up even more, since they can continue to stand around, but they'll never see the boss (which you can) and nothing they do will interfere at all. SO they can try and fire or attack where you are fighting the boss, but their attacks won't do any damage because they already killed the boss the first time round.

I hope my idea is used.

So that you can piss off the normal player base and release bots out into the world?

I hope my idea is used.

MMO gameplay contains a large dosage of what's called grinding or farming. These activities, which are considered legitimate by developers, include repeatedly killing specific enemies to gain more XP or loot or both and sometimes unique items that cannot be obtained otherwise. If you call for restrictions on players so they cannot farm a Boss you're not only hurting the Botters, you're going to be hurting those players who want to be able to farm these bosses legitimately!

I believe the answer isn't in restricting legitimate players but rather restricting Bots who by nature exhibit repetitive behaviour beyond what can be considered the norm for actual farmers.

I hope your idea is not used but instead it will inspire ZENIMAX to employ smarter AI in their game that will record and target bot tendencies.

i hate all botters...  GOld spammers make chatting annoying having to scroll back for missed messages (could be fixed if Zone chat was limited to Level 5+)  and as for macro script botters Asheron's Call had a huge problem with these... and aggro draggin was indeed a tactic i used on them and annoying kill thieves... but then i moved the the Darktide server and just fell in love with pure PvP servers in games..

This was an idea presented in another game I played a bit back, it was semi open pvp and a few friends did this...they took it upon themselves to solve the problem in two games I played...guess what happened both times? They were perma banned and had to buy new accounts...under new names... yep true story. It is considered griefing or harassment depending on the game and the person who gets the report, they may also punish the gold farmer or not best to leave it to zenimax they have the means of instancing dungeons to a single player if it is supposed to be or for a single group which if the phasing issue is solved and if you make that boss perma dead because you completed that, then...that would be the best way to combat the issue but via zenimax, but it is all up to them, don't get yourself banned for something they are supposed to take care of. This idea took shape when I think Dutch came up with it on TS could be mistaken but it was a good conversation and it seems sound.

Under all MMOs taking your own action against other players can breach the user agreement and get you a nice perma ban. The only solution is to contact support with video , pictures and names and leave it to them , the main reason for this is because in those big clusters of bots is sometimes a single person just trying to squeeze in and get the kill for their quest, now ESO does pretty much hand you the kill if you damage them but sometimes it can be hard to get the damage in so when you attack or assault or harass the group you could end up hurting a legit player that just happened to be in the wrong place in the wrong time. Now you may think well that never happens but according to the last wave ban by Zenimax , they had to unban a list of players that were wrongfully ban for botting and other things that players reported them on meanwhile some where 100% just at the wrong place at the wrong time. Hell one of my friends just walked pass a group of bots and he got banned for it because the person reporting recorded him just walking by ....yeah it's that simple to get someone ban.

But the main downfall is even if you ban the bots , all they do is end up making more accounts. This has been common practice for gold farmers for games that are new and highly populated. If you work out the math you end up noticing that they make more then they lose if they get caught , now logically everyone will say well no one would burn money like that but again a gold farmer if they do it properly can bring in about $150 to $200 or more depending on what they are charging per person and yes there are people that buy this. So if one person buys off this seller, then the gold farmer will have enough to buy 4 more accounts if he wishes with 30 days free gameplay, add more players to the sales then you get more and more , 1 account ban HA the gold farmer can get 4 more to take that one's place. So yeah it's a endless battle , most developers now have decided to take another swing at giving the same service as the gold farmers but under their rules and some have worked well then others.  World of Warcraft has finally added level 90 paid service which cost 60 compared to the 150 from power leveling players which saves some people money and the money goes back into the game which seems pretty fair to continue development, for gold it might end up being the same but we all have stories of MMos doing that their self but there seems to be no better way.

Under all MMOs taking your own action against other players can breach the user agreement and get you a nice perma ban.

Only under most MMOs. The sandbox/H-PvP MMOs won't do a thing.