• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Lars Santiago

GW2 or ESO online

24 posts in this topic

I just recently got a gaming computer capable of playing the newer games and i was really looking forward to ESO but seeing Joes review and watching gameplay on youtube and with the ESO subscribe fee GW2 looks leagues better and costs less.

The only thing that may make me buy ESO over Guild Wars is if the PvP on guild wars is dead so ithought id ask here, is it dead?

Is GW2 a lot better than ESO is? or is ESO better than GW2?

Ysnar likes this

Gw2 is better than ESO at everything. Joe's reviews says it all. Gw2 is cheaper and has no subscription. You can even get Gw2 even cheaper at G2A: https://www.g2a.com/r/guildwars2

Depends on what you're looking for. I couldn't get into GW2 because I just found it boring, nothing could hold my attention for long. ESO on the other hand I love doing the quests because I LISTEN to the dialogue, something most people who hate the game don't seem to do then complain the quests are boring.

I'd say if you want a game with more immersion, go ESO. If you want something to fool around with friends, go GW2.

GW2 most definitely, the fee model alone should be enough if you were trying to decide between the two. Not sure how the servers are doing though but ESO won't probably retain that many players either. 

I'll give you a probably unpopular suggestion if you want to play an mmo that's assured to have high populations and quality, get WOW. It doesn't have the awesome open world pvp, seems they're trying to resurrect it in Draenor but that's only in December.

Btw Joe's review is wrong with 1 thing.. You'll need to pay for 30$ not 15$ for your first subscription. Because you need to cancel your subscription 30 days before your next subscription starts, and unless you cancel your next months subscription the day you subscribe, you're forced to pay for 2 months, even if you don't want to play it. So they'll take 110$ for the ones who bought the collectors edition.. Ingenious tbh.

Lunix likes this

I want to get GW2 but I do not know where to. Also is G2A a legit site?

Gotta go whit GW2 whit this 

Yes G2A is a legit site, I have bought from there myself and it has been previously advertisied by other retailers. :)

Yes G2A is a legit site, I have bought from there myself and it has been previously advertisied by other retailers. :)

Well I won't be able to buy on G2A because they only sell the EU version.

Guild Wars 2 is definitely the best bang for your buck. It's fun as hell, graphics are excellent, and the characters and story are quite enjoyable. I even had fun in PVP, and I usually hate PVP. 

ESO at the moment is just a blatant cash grab by Zenimax Online. It might be worth playing when it goes free to play, but as of right now it's just not worth $60 + $15 a month + $20 extra for the Imperial Edition if you want any decent stuff + future $$$ at the microtransactions shop. 

This really comes down to personal preference. ESO is an elder scrolls game. If you like the elder scroll series then ESO will be right up your alley. 

GW2 is cheaper in the long run and offers one of the best leveling experiences I have had in an MMO.

Both games are lacking in what I am looking for in an mmo which is a solid end game experience but thats something else entirely. 

I've chosen ffxiv over ESO. so far i'm having lot of fun and awesome graphics. IMO it's better than GW, i just got bored of GW after level 10.

Unless you're talking about an online game that revolves around PvP from a design standpoint, like say a MOBA does, the number of people looking to PvP always shrinks down a good bit from their initial numbers in time, more so than those doing the PvE. What that means is even if ESO as a game that was only JUST launched has a lot of people PvPing now, give it a bit of time, and there will be a lot less trying to do it. I would not recommend anyone to get into an online game for the PvP if the game isn't designed as a PvP centric game. If it has both PvE and PvP like GW2, or is primarily about the PvE, with just a PvP option, eventually the PvP in the game just won't work out that well, meaning you as a PvP player will not be having much fun anymore.

If you want to pick a game up for the purpose of PvPing, don't play either, find something else. If PvP is just something you may do on the side now and then, then between the two, go with GW2.

I recently played GW2 again, first on the Northern Shiverpeaks Server and it felt kinda empty from a social point of view. Still lots of players but you won't read anything from them in the world chat besides asking where the Zerg is. That Zerg is grinding Bosses 24/7 it seems and u better not ask something else or prepare you butthole for some nice responds :D.

Switched back to the german servers because of the time zone, didn't thought of that, people starting to make dinner at 2 o'clock in the morning (my time). Even less conversations on my current server. But I play it here and there because it costs no subscription fee and that's great. Rift is still my favourite though. You sure have fun playing GW2, for the first time it is a blast because of so many refreshing ideas and features.

Ysnar likes this

I recently played GW2 again, first on the Northern Shiverpeaks Server and it felt kinda empty from a social point of view. Still lots of players but you won't read anything from them in the world chat besides asking where the Zerg is. That Zerg is grinding Bosses 24/7 it seems and u better not ask something else or prepare you butthole for some nice responds :D.

Switched back to the german servers because of the time zone, didn't thought of that, people starting to make dinner at 2 o'clock in the morning (my time). Even less conversations on my current server. But I play it here and there because it costs no subscription fee and that's great. Rift is still my favourite though. You sure have fun playing GW2, for the first time it is a blast because of so many refreshing ideas and features.

We understand that more and more people from the EU side are experiencing the same problems as you are... so be advised that we will organize an AA guild on one of the EU servers in early July... so keep an eye out for the poll in the GW2 subforum.  The poll will:

- Re-assess interest in an EU guild

- Determine which server it will be in

- Organize a chain of command that operates in sync with the one in NSP

The_Magnificent likes this

We should do some WvW stuff on the US Guild. The first time I went into WvW I ran into a Zerg about 60ish people strong and we rolled over every keep in all the maps. Would be nice to do it with the angry army if there's enough people willing.

Our first foray into WvW is tied in with our weekly guild mission.  We have a WvW free-for-all right after we finish all the available guild events.

We do encourage people to take part in WvW, which is why we recently encouraged people to sign up to the NSP alliance website (a forum similar to this, where all major guilds coordinate WvW ops).  We hope that with the coming of summer (especially by June/July), we'll see a spike in activity.  There's more information here:

http://angryjoeshow.com/ajsa/topic/16695-lets-talk-wvw/

Gamestop, best buy, amazon, guildwars2.com, all are places where you can buy it (although guildwars2.com only gives you the digital copy, and I personally prefer a physical one, but that's just me)

Also GW2 all the way.  ESO is good but GW2 is better.

Ysnar likes this

Obviously GW2, although I do hope ESO can improved from now on.

For PvE I think it can, for PvP I highly doubt it

Have to give this one to GW2. ESO is basically the anti group MMO from why I experienced. Which essentially the very opposite MMO stands for.

GW2 has it's bugs fixed, has no monthly fee, but weekly updates, no pay wall, no need cash dumps into mounts...