• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Recoveryanonymous

Net Neutrality and the Future of the Internet.

15 posts in this topic

(I made a thread about this a few months ago but I don't know if updating it would count as "necroing", so I'm making a new one since there's been a bit of an update with it. I'm also posting it in General since I feel that the nature of modern gaming goes hand in hand with the internet and this news may very well make it impossible for some. Feel free to move this to off topic if you disagree.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_V2AltSZu0

While I don't agree with his conclusion about wolf-pac, I'm very concerned about what this all means. ISPs throttling speeds for non-commercial sites outside of your "plan" or "package" (think cable) and imposing data limits for home networks is very troubling. I can't help but be reminded of SOPA and PIPA with this; I never thought I'd say this, but the internet itself is under attack.

New and possibly innovative sites are screwed if this goes through. Youtube can keep on with the bogus copyright claims content in the fact that it will now be nigh on impossible for a direct competitor to arise, if they had any doubts before that is.

what-is-net-neutrality-isp-package-diagr

I'm just wondering what that will do to sites like GOG that aren't too big to fail like Steam. How will something as simple as downloading a large file from a site that the isp decides not to support or to package off from the rest work? Will they just throttle the speed and charge you extra that month? How can they monitor your internet activity if you use a VPN? Will they forbid it?

So many unknowns here.

Remember that this is a GAMING community, but I am gonna link this just for the heck of it.

Google fiber will save us. 

Yeah, in a decade or two, maybe.

I'm beginning to realize we're entering the Dark Age of the internet. I just wish we'd get to the goddamn Renaissance already. 

Really hoping Canada doesn't follow suit.

Few years back somebody tried to have something similar here in Finland. Needless to say the goverment figured it was against civil rights and free market and thus illegal.

Though the Pirate Bay is blocked on one of the ISP's, not that I care anymore since Steam is now easy to use for me.

This is upsetting. Tiered internet services would be devastating to consumers. My ISP is already horrible when it comes to data caps and speed throttling. I myself had to change to a business account to remove the data cap, of course my speed was cut by over 2/3 and the price tripled. If they throw tiers into that mix... 

Well the thing about this is that it is illegal. It violates anti-trust and the courts would not allow it. Now the question is are they making companies pay to have faster bandwidths or are they threatening to throttle the connection as a form of extortion?

Google fiber will save us. 

I hope so. If not we have this to look forward to for the next who knows how long:

(but on the internet.)

Really hoping Canada doesn't follow suit.

From everything I have read Canada is smarter than the United States by a large margin, but then what do I know? I am American and therefore one of the stupid people lol

When this news hit, I just said "f*ck it" and signed the wolf-pac.

Dang, I wish I knew what those videos were talking about. So, there's someone trying to limit how much internet people can use? Or trying to just add more prices? Isn't that what companies have been trying to do since day 1?

As we have said before discussions of net neutrality is political, and we do not allow political threads. The angry army is a gaming community, this is not the place to be discussing net neutrality.