• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Variloh

Are Videogames good, bad or inconsequential for the world?

42 posts in this topic

Hi all Variloh here,

As some may know, my show "Gamer mind" will be off this week do to vacation on my part, but the question must and will be asked! the show resumes on its normal schedual next week (Thursday May 8 10:00pm GMT+1) and if you wanna participate, drop me a tweet at @variloh or message me via forum messages. You may also message me via twitch: www.twitch.tv/variloh if you enjoy these go over and drop a follow to know when i go live!

Now that im done with the shameless self promotion, lets get down to the question at hand: Are Videogames good, bad or inconsequential for the world?

The question is meant to address if videogames have a impact on the world in a deep way, not just economical or as a hobby a group of people take up, but in the sense that it effects how the world thinks, acts and aproaches day to day experience. Do the existence of videogames change how the world acts? Has videogames afffected morality? has it changed a large group of peoples views of the world? Give your opinions down bellow! 

PS: i post this in the general discussion since i want all members of the AJSA from diffrent games to participate, as well as the discusion topic is pretty open and is not about my channel, which is why i post it here and NOT on the user created section (plus it DOES say discuss "anything and everything" here   :) )

Gone too likes this

Jeez, you have thought WAY too much into this than you should.

Video games are just another form of entertainment, just as books, movies, and television is.

Cap0bvious likes this

well, first gamer is any person who palys any games. Besides video games.

Video games... are good. For the world tho they are useless but it still it gets you're brain thinking. No matter what game it use yyou still use some kind of logic. Better than stearing at the wall.

Video games have the potential to cause change in a large group of people much like literature (Uncle Tom's Cabin and Common Sense) and film (Jaws and Star Wars) has.  I don't think a single game has had any sort of impact that I would say "changed the world", but the impact of gaming, as a whole, on globalization is easily apparent and can easily be said to have changed the world.  How many people who are part of AJSA have gaming and the internet, of course, to thank for meeting people they would have otherwise not met.  They exchange ideas that echo their different backgrounds and cultures.  This got really hammy and cheesy at the end I apologize.

Legolas_Katarn and Variloh like this

They're a media, they can influence the world in both ways, bad or good.

Videogames are not so different from books, music, movies and television.

Variloh likes this

It really just depends. Obviously, playing too much video games will ruin your life, I think we're all mature enough to accept that. That being said, it's not as bad as people say it is. It really is an effective way of relieving stress and just having a good time, just as much TV and books can. As for the people who blame pretty much anything that has to do with murder with Video Games, yes it can play a role, but it's not just exclusively Video Games. TV, Films, Home Environment, Actual Mental conditions, bullying. All these can be reasons to why someone could be driven over the edge, not just Video games. So I say Video Games are an excellent and quick way of relieving stress and having fun with friends, but that it shouldn't be taken too out of hand where you start to neglect everything else in your life.

They're a media, they can influence the world in both ways, bad or good.

Videogames are not so different from books, music, movies and television.

Just like any form of entertainment, they can impact people for better or for worse; but I think video games can impact more so because they are an interactive experience. It's similar to how a video can impact a person more than a book because they can see the stuff happening right before their eyes.

Just like any form of entertainment, they can impact people for better or for worse; but I think video games can impact more so because they are an interactive experience. It's similar to how a video can impact a person more than a book because they can see the stuff happening right before their eyes.

I actually think a book has more impact than a video, imagination is a powerful tool and if a book gets you involved it can change your life.

I actually think a book has more impact than a video, imagination is a powerful tool and if a book gets you involved it can change your life.

I didn't think of it like that. However, you already need to have a strong imagination for a book to have that much of an impact on you. A video requires less of an imagination. Think "A Clockwork Orange".

I didn't think of it like that. However, you already need to have a strong imagination for a book to have that much of an impact on you. A video requires less of an imagination. Think "A Clockwork Orange".

Bad example :P, i didn't like the movie, the book on the other hand was decent, i was thinking of something like the countless (and sadly mostly disappointing) horror movies adapted from Lovecraft's books, some hit the spot but are nothing strong like the books.

Now i'm done with the off topic, sorry.

I have seen several responses similar to my thoughts but may as well put in my two cents.

I feel that they CAN have an influence on the people that play them, whether that be complex thinking skill to reaction time improving.

Now whether people DO all the time is debatable, but in the overall scheme of things I find it is mostly negligible.

As for the people who blame pretty much anything that has to do with murder with Video Games, yes it can play a role, but it's not just exclusively Video Games. TV, Films, Home Environment, Actual Mental conditions, bullying. All these can be reasons to why someone could be driven over the edge, not just Video games.

In that regard, video games are bad for the world. The longer they are blamed for such behavior and tragedies, the longer it will be until the true underlying causes can be adressed and treated.

Was the Renaissance humanism in theater good? Was the cinematographer invention that led to modern movies good? I believe Pong and it's descendants hold up to those in a very meaningful way.

Games(non electronic) have been around since before society as Johan Huizinga puts masterfully in his work Homo Ludens, and they have a very important function in society and psychological development, in fact many of the modern society's aspects can be considered large-scale complex games with set rules and everything. Gaming is a very interesting phenomena in the way that it's more complex involving multiple forms of art to compose a single media form, it's a step up from movies in complexity by including interactivity.

Gaming is a powerful tool for teaching and many articles/papers and monographs have been made on the subject. Age of Empires and Total War got an entire generation interested in History. Warcraft 2 got me into Strategy games and hell my Major's monograph is a research on the history of the Starcraft Esports circuit and the history of strategy games*.

It's a bit off-topic but RPG(real tabletop RPG) is a thing I got in due to gaming, it also heavily influenced me. With RPG I've read a lot of books and developed an entire host of skills. It also often incentivizes you to study for historical games.

Video games have the potential to cause change in a large group of people much like literature (Uncle Tom's Cabin and Common Sense) and film (Jaws and Star Wars) has.  I don't think a single game has had any sort of impact that I would say "changed the world", but the impact of gaming, as a whole, on globalization is easily apparent and can easily be said to have changed the world.  How many people who are part of AJSA have gaming and the internet, of course, to thank for meeting people they would have otherwise not met.  They exchange ideas that echo their different backgrounds and cultures.  This got really hammy and cheesy at the end I apologize.

That's actually a great point, I owe a great deal of my cosmopolitan worldview to gaming from a young age. Well eventually going into HIstory as well but that's also a result from gaming anyway. Games like Age of Empires, Red Alert and Total War made History far more interesting than the classes ever could. Many of my colleagues are quite provincial if not borderline nationalistic so I say gaming has changed my life quite a bit for all intents and purposes. I'm not sure how I'd turn out if I hadn't been a gamer or learned English with games.

It really just depends. Obviously, playing too much video games will ruin your life, I think we're all mature enough to accept that.

By that logic, so will reading too much, eating too much or watching movies too much. All things considered healthy, the very popular stigma that overnerding will kill you is quite fallacious in my opinion when overdoing anything can be just as harmful to an individual.

Jeez, you have thought WAY too much into this than you should.

Video games are just another form of entertainment, just as books, movies, and television is.

Those are powerful forces within society for better or worse, it's quite simplistic to say it's "just entertainment." especially when all these forms of media are conveying messages sometimes even "hidden" messages about lifestyles, political orientation, culture and everything else. It's no coincidence that Radio was adopted by politicians early in the XXth century, TV followed suit and well there's a billion heavily political books like "The Capital" or "Mein Kampf", innocent looking tv shows like Simpsons or Futurama have been making political and social commentary for years now.

E
ven gaming has political agendas here and there albeit a medium that's still considered young and sometimes "for children" by society at large it's no coincidence you fight for the free world in every Call of Duty campaign or that America's Army and the Chinese cod-based rip-off exist. I don't like getting paranoid or checking every reference ever made and don't really think entertainers are on the payroll of some illuminati-like group like some weirdos would say but it's not just entertainment when it's molding society one way or another and every form of media is.

*To clarify, I don't mean computer games exactly but how strategy games came from Chess which was modified in the 19th century to create the Prussian Wargames and then appropriated by the civil market to create boardgames and eventually electronic strategy games all with a history of design elements and what-not.

Null, mrfool and Variloh like this

Was the Renaissance humanism in theater good? Was the cinematographer invention that led to modern movies good? I believe Pong and it's descendants hold up to those in a very meaningful way.

Games(non electronic) have been around since before society as Johan Huizinga puts masterfully in his work Homo Ludens, and they have a very important function in society and psychological development, in fact many of the modern society's aspects can be considered large-scale complex games with set rules and everything. Gaming is a very interesting phenomena in the way that it's more complex involving multiple forms of art to compose a single media form, it's a step up from movies in complexity by including interactivity.

Gaming is a powerful tool for teaching and many articles/papers and monographs have been made on the subject. Age of Empires and Total War got an entire generation interested in History. Warcraft 2 got me into Strategy games and hell my Major's monograph is a research on the history of the Starcraft Esports circuit and the history of strategy games*.

It's a bit off-topic but RPG(real tabletop RPG) is a thing I got in due to gaming, it also heavily influenced me. With RPG I've read a lot of books and developed an entire host of skills. It also often incentivizes you to study for historical games.

That's actually a great point, I owe a great deal of my cosmopolitan worldview to gaming from a young age. Well eventually going into HIstory as well but that's also a result from gaming anyway. Games like Age of Empires, Red Alert and Total War made History far more interesting than the classes ever could. Many of my colleagues are quite provincial if not borderline nationalistic so I say gaming has changed my life quite a bit for all intents and purposes. I'm not sure how I'd turn out if I hadn't been a gamer or learned English with games.

By that logic, so will reading too much, eating too much or watching movies too much. All things considered healthy, the very popular stigma that overnerding will kill you is quite fallacious in my opinion when overdoing anything can be just as harmful to an individual.

Those are powerful forces within society for better or worse, it's quite simplistic to say it's "just entertainment." especially when all these forms of media are conveying messages sometimes even "hidden" messages about lifestyles, political orientation, culture and everything else. It's no coincidence that Radio was adopted by politicians early in the XXth century, TV followed suit and well there's a billion heavily political books like "The Capital" or "Mein Kampf", innocent looking tv shows like Simpsons or Futurama have been making political and social commentary for years now.

Even gaming has political agendas here and there albeit a medium that's still considered young and sometimes "for children" by society at large it's no coincidence you fight for the free world in every Call of Duty campaign or that America's Army and the Chinese cod-based rip-off exist. I don't like getting paranoid or checking every reference ever made and don't really think entertainers are on the payroll of some illuminati-like group like some weirdos would say but it's not just entertainment when it's molding society one way or another and every form of media is.

*To clarify, I don't mean computer games exactly but how strategy games came from Chess which was modified in the 19th century to create the Prussian Wargames and then appropriated by the civil market to create boardgames and eventually electronic strategy games all with a history of design elements and what-not.

Just have this guy as a co-host Var, won't need any more guests...ever! :D

Variloh and Legolas_Katarn like this

How the world thinks not even a chance, Video games might be large but they certainly aren't going to start some movement in the real world. If you had stated it in a smaller scale like how certain individuals act than I could agree with it, but the world no chance. Just because you see it blamed on some program or something doesn't show any hard proof that anyone even bothers to believe it or care for that matter. People will go on with there life not caring about them at all, Well that's how i view it anyway.

Just have this guy as a co-host Var, won't need any more guests...ever! :D

w00t, I has a fan! I haven't come in as a guest yet actually because I have class every thursday just a bit after the show starts.

Funny that you mention though I've actually been thinking of doing a "history of gaming" kind of youtube show for a while now, not sure if one exists other than people reviewing old games and throwing bits of wisdom at the introduction. Not sure if people would watch either, which might be why none exists or is popular enough for me to know... Or maybe I just don't know many shows.

How the world thinks not even a chance, Video games might be large but they certainly aren't going to start some movement in the real world. If you had stated it in a smaller scale like how certain individuals act than I could agree with it, but the world no chance. Just because you see it blamed on some program or something doesn't show any hard proof that anyone even bothers to believe it or care for that matter. People will go on with there life not caring about them at all, Well that's how i view it anyway.

Electronic Games have already changed the world in more than one way, many mentioned in my post, but I don't really get your main argument here are you saying no one believes games are harmful or that games don't affect the world because of people's narrow point of view?

If it has affected an individual and by the size of the gaming community it has affected many individuals in different places and contexts who appropriate the games in very different ways it has already changed the world.

w00t, I has a fan!

I've also become a fan

How the world thinks not even a chance, Video games might be large but they certainly aren't going to start some movement in the real world

Even if we say that that is true they could still easily have had a hand, if a game effects even one individual and then that person goes on to effect something in the world.

Late replies are late :P

Well, yes. I can't disagree with that, because it's true. Doing those things too much will obviously cause harm in some way. I said what I said because we have seen people who simply spend too much time playing Video Games and not enough time dealing with real life issues. Whilst I understand that they are not representing gaming as a whole, it is possible that gaming could ruin your life. I don't agree with the media stating that it will ruin your life, but I do agree that video games can ruin your life. So can movies, TV, overeating, over smoking, etc.

Aside from that ,I do agree with you. Your entire post was very interesting to read, and raised a lot of interesting points, so kudos to you :D

The question is meant to address if videogames have a impact on the world in a deep way, not just economical or as a hobby a group of people take up, but in the sense that it effects how the world thinks, acts and aproaches day to day experience. Do the existence of videogames change how the world acts? Has videogames afffected morality? has it changed a large group of peoples views of the world? Give your opinions down bellow! 

*cracks fingers*

Alright, time to get started. I just hope I get my opinion on this right and whatever else I can come up with.

Before I go all smart-ass and crap, I will just say first that I think gaming had and still has a HUGE impact on our society. Let's first go through some basic things that video games help in.

1. Video games encourage problem solving skills and logical reasoning, which allows younger kids to solve different problems and puzzles in different ways. Some studies have confirmed that playing video games increases motor skills, eye coordination and can even help kids come to faster decisions and allows them to think faster. It can also help you at planning, resource management and logistics.

It can also help in your memory, risk taking, how to respond to challenges and many other things.

2. Some studies have also shown that playing video games (this is logical though) that it helps kids learn to type, learn to speak/write better. I mean I learned tons of words, how to spell them and many things just by playing video games.

3. As gaming industry grew larger and people realized how quickly one can get into playing games, some people used that as an advantage. There are tons of video games now made for completely educational purposes. I remember here few years back when you buy a book for English subject (elementary) you get a CD with a game on it which was very interactive and allowed kids to easily learn English. Later it spread out to more subjects like maths, physics, native language and so on. It's a lot more easier and fun to learn when you are interacting with something.

4. Like Auron posted, games like Rome, Red Alert and such similar games can help you greatly in learning history and get you interested in it. Would you have more fun reading or listening someone tell you about the Battle of Cannae or learning about it by playing through Rome Total War?

Also look at Assassin's Creed series, whenever you walk the cities and pass by a famous building/monument or whatever, a window pops up and gives you all info about it, same for the historical people who were put in the game.

....CRAP!

I went too far with this...this was supposed to be a intro...anyways, you now know what I'm trying to say. Gaming has had a HUGE positive impact on our society in many ways.

Let's move on to another part...how games had impact on today's technology and how else games can be used.

-Not too long ago I read that a group of scientists is working on making glasses for the army that will allow them to see friendlies which will be indicated by little icons above them (like in battlefield 3 for example) and the glasses will have more different features like that. I do not know if this has already been developed or is still in development.

-Arma games are being used by real military in order to train soldiers how to react in different situations, how to command, learn the structure of command among many other things.

-Someone today posted a thread about a game that was developed by a cancer research team that could possibly cure cancer. I do not know the details about it, but you can use Google to find out more.

-Video games have introduced a lot interesting things that one day could benefit us all, if it can be made into reality. And with more sophisticated video games coming out, who knows what other things they might introduce.

Know what a railgun is?

If I'm not wrong, it was first introduced in video games (maybe some movies), but not too long, this came up:

Video games can even inspire in making of real life weaponry which can also be a more negative impact...but that depends how you look at it.

I could probably go on for hours now with this post, but I'm getting out of time, my eyes are shutting down, my fingers are rebelling and making me press wrong buttons so I will have to wrap it up.

So for the final point, video games had a huge impact on our society, they help us increase our mental performance, improve our motor skills, they make us creative, they make us inspired among many other things.

They inspire others to create wonderful things, but this can also have a negative impact like for example, turning video game weapons to real weapons...I wouldn't call that a completely positive thing.

Video games can have a positive impact on a person and with that person on the whole society, but it can have negative impact too. However when it comes to crap like "video games cause violence" then all I can say is to parents, KEEP YOUR DAMN EYES ON YOUR KIDS!

Video games don't have age rating for no reason.

*scans through the post*

It's not even long as I wanted it to be :(

Anyways, I will be leaving now...hopefully I might add more things to this post if I remember to do so. There is a lot more things I wanted to say, but my thoughts have drifted away and are now thinking about forcing me to shut down the PC and go to bed...I can't rebel against my own mind, so I will head off now.

I hope my post helps you a little for your topic and gives you some ideas to talk about. :)

Legolas_Katarn likes this

Games do change the world, ever since gta came out the amount of shootings, mass murders, rapes and general crimes have gone up dramatically. violent games caused this! Also it taught our young CURSE WORDS!

In reality games are an art and entertainment for those willing to learn them and immerse ones self within the world. An escape for all, it's heaven and you don't have to die for it. It's a drug and a lifestyle and it bred a new generation with new ideas and freedom in art never achieved in such magnitude, interaction between the artist and the viewer.

w00t, my fanbase grows!

Late replies are late  :P

Well, yes. I can't disagree with that, because it's true. Doing those things too much will obviously cause harm in some way. I said what I said because we have seen people who simply spend too much time playing Video Games and not enough time dealing with real life issues. Whilst I understand that they are not representing gaming as a whole, it is possible that gaming could ruin your life. I don't agree with the media stating that it will ruin your life, but I do agree that video games can ruin your life. So can movies, TV, overeating, over smoking, etc.

Aside from that ,I do agree with you. Your entire post was very interesting to read, and raised a lot of interesting points, so kudos to you  :D

Oh I understand that, but there is an underlying stigma that more people game too much to harmful levels than say people who drink too much to harmful levels so I nitpicked I suppose.

Know what a railgun is?

If I'm not wrong, it was first introduced in video games (maybe some movies), but not too long, this came up:

The most primitive form of railgunis actually from the start of the 20th century. The Luftwaffe had plans to mount some on their aircraft during WWII but though theoretically possible it needed immense amounts of power(at the time compared to half a big city's comsumption.) since them there's been research and some experiments with bizarrely large-scale generators and only now it's been made "portable" if you can call it that. The concept sure was made popular by Quake and other shooters though. Not sure how prevalent it was in fiction but it's included in the Cyberpunk RPGs, Shadowrun and Cyberpunk 2040.

I'm sure Warhammer's Chainsword isn't far behind though! That will make fencing much cooler.

Apex Spartan likes this

Tonight on Gamer Mind we will discuss this! 10:00pm gmt+1 come check it out on www.twitch.tv/variloh !

inconsequential for most of the world. in the middle east, oceania, and the west, video games are a culture experienced by gamers basically behind closed doors. the only place gamers will mix among other gamers on their culture is the internet or in game stores, or at a convention like E3, pax, and that's pretty much it.

it's easy to understand as well. there's millions of gamers all around the world, but, how many exactly? i doubt there is 1 billion gamers in the world. we haven't gotten to that level. we are in the millions, possibly hundreds of millions, but there's 6 something billion people around the world. we are a very very small minority of people that embrace the gaming culture, compared to other cultures around the world.

like i said though, that's for most of the world. go to countries like china, japan, and south korea, almost everyone is a gamer. nearly the whole population of korea and japan are heavily addicted and passionate gamers. in china, it's the major city populations with heavily invested video gamers. it certainly is a small percentage compared to their overall country's population, but it's still big and dwarfs the population pockets of gamers around the rest of the world.

when i say inconsequential for most of the world, what i mean is, in asia it's a major part of their "overall" culture. it gets talked about, analysed on the news even, and plays a major role in life for those people. for us, most of our populations care about other things, gaming is a minority thing that people talk about overall. you certainly won't turn on sky news in the UK or CNN in america to hear them talking about some team beating another team on a DOTA 2 tournament or starcraft 2, but you will hear them talk about the asshole in charge of the country, tax rises for pensions, and which football team beat who and what score. no gaming over here. that's what i mean, basically. most people who are not in asia / oceania do not care about video games and it doesn't play a major part in our culture and doesn't influence as much. but on the other side of the world, it does.

yet still... on a global perspective with every country put together, no, gaming is inconsequential for the world. it's consequential for asia / oceania, but not many others.

Variloh likes this

Last bump! stream starts in 15 mins on www.twitch.tv/variloh