• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

fridgeracer

does anyone disagree with AJ's ESO review?

23 posts in this topic

hello AJSA chums, how's everyone doing? good i hope. on to the question...

does anyone disagree with AJ's ESO review? i generally trust and can relate to a lot of Joe's reviews of many games. some i don't agree with, well.... very rarely do i not agree with him, he's almost always thinking how i'm thinking...

but, i only played ESO on 3 betas. i haven't bought or played the final game except for 1 or 2 hours on my pre order 3 days early access, and didn't go ahead with the purchase.

so to the people here who play it, regularly, do you agree or disagree with the things Joe says about the game? im trying to gauge if the things he says are agreed upon by a majority of ESO players, or a minority.

if im ever going to buy and play this game, i would prefer to do it if the majority of it's players are happy in general with how the game is going. ive invested before into mmorpg's that have not done so well and i simply dont have the luxury of money to throw away, i have to be careful with my purchases.

thank you all.

The game is good if you take it as it is, i'm taking a break right now until some major issues are fixed but in the end i'm liking it.

I thought it was alright, but I got rather bored after 3 weeks and will not be playing it on PS4 as previously planned.

Not really, I think he maybe was a little more harsh than he needed to be with the final score, but he made a lot of good points about breaking immersion all the time with the public dungeons and the game, outside of some decent visuals, just being plain average and boring. That and the really poorly designed group mechanics.

Not really, I think he maybe was a little more harsh than he needed to be with the final score, but he made a lot of good points about breaking immersion all the time with the public dungeons and the game, outside of some decent visuals, just being plain average and boring. That and the really poorly designed group mechanics.

He posted on his FB and Twitter that Zeminax is making new updates based on his video and the things he mentioned in it which is very nice to see.

Being harsh on the game is not always a bad thing, but hopefully now ESO will get better.

I will try to keep up with the game updates/news and see how it goes. When I see more positive improvements, I might buy it myself.

I wonder if ESO would ever follow in the footsteps of A Realm Reborn if need be. 

He posted on his FB and Twitter that Zeminax is making new updates based on his video and the things he mentioned in it which is very nice to see.

Being harsh on the game is not always a bad thing, but hopefully now ESO will get better.

I will try to keep up with the game updates/news and see how it goes. When I see more positive improvements, I might buy it myself.

Joe has a huge following so I'm not surprised this happened. I still am not sure I'll head back to it especially with Wildstar coming around the corner and thus far, to my surprise, I am enjoying that far more than I did ESO. And it is still in beta with a month to continue to improve before release.

I believe Joe gave a review that reflect what he felt after playing the game since launch as well as having participated in several beta events.

Granted a review is just that, a review. It's Joe's opinion, not absolute. Personally I am enjoying the game so different strokes for different folks.

I agree with some of the points he made about the game. Primarly how that it can get frustrating trying to do PvE quests with a group but if you take it as it is it can be a really fun game where if you want your rpg fix theres that as the main component and then theres dungeons if you want to get together with people plus PvP on a big scale. What I disagree is how he pretty much thinks the game should go F2P just based on how the game is at launch and the launch wasn't even that bad as people make it out to be. My advice would be to wait a couple months and see how Zenimax handles some of these problems then you can decide if the game is fun with what the developers are doing since ultimately the developers are the ones that drive the game to be either fun or just trying to make money.

He was level 19 and not even halfway through Grahtwood last I saw. Hardly enough time played to even review. I usually agree with him, and on some points I did, but his overall assessment was extremely poor. Once again, lvl 19, in Grahtwood. Serious? At least IGN's reviewer got to the veteran ranks and gave ESO a, what, 7.8? That's fair. Furthermore, it's a MMO with ES skin, Joe, not an ES game with mutiplayer elements. Sorry you didn't get Skyrim 2.

Immersion... what a crock of shit selling point.

Brb expecting immersive gameplay in a MMO that periodically has idiots jumping around you naked.

Brb avoiding discussing the positive elements that he didn't try out like crafting because he had us give him free gear.

Brb lvl 19.

Brb 2nd zone.

Just lol.

Yes, mad. Because unfinished poorly executed review.

dgwoods and Revenile like this

I dont think it was unfinished nor poorly executed. I honestly think he raged alot less in this review than I've seen in previous ones.

The game, if you like quest after quest after quest after quest, is great. It gets me bored after about thirty minutes. As he said there are no WOW moments in the game LIKE OMG THAT WAS AWESOME moments, not world of warcraft moments. Variety is the spice of life. Atm i cant find anyplace to just hang out and grind some mobs till I want to go quest again.

Being as I have helped do code work on some games and ( before I was banned from Nexus) helped people keep mods for games smooth running, I can honestly say " This game has came off smoothly for a launch." 

Are there bugs?  Yes.

Is some of the things Joe said in his review correct?  Yes.

Immersion broken?  Yes and No.  Public dungeons need a bit more work as in the bots and people farming the boss'.  But read on their forums or even send an Email to one of the named Zeni employees on the forum and they WILL respond to you about what they intend to try and fix this problem.

Does the game get a tad bit like your just questing/grinding?  Yes if your solo it will lose a lot of its appeal.  But try grouping up with 1 or more people, and Quests fly by.

Personally I love this game, and have already paid up for a year.  I intend to keep playing this game due to the fact I like what is coming for this one in the future.  If you have not already done so ask on their forums or search for the topic "  Dark Brotherhood and Morag Tong " they mentioned  " look forward to seeing NPC's of these 2 factions actively killing each other with the Dark Brotherhood quest line and out in the open world. " 

With all this said, wait until the Craiglorn Patch comes out and see what people think, a LOT of the things Joe mentioned are getting fixed with this coming patch and the following ones.  As far as PvP is concerned, I like and dislike things about the current and maybe future state of it but I intend to keep playing to see if it ends up like anything close to what I would prefer.

smuniz83 and dgwoods like this

I liked his review. I still like the game tho. He got it right about grouping and all the rant about that is  100% justify. I agree he should have gone to at last level 50 but heck..

dgwoods likes this

Yes, wholeheartedly. While I respect Joe immensely I feel he judged the game far too hard, especially for an MMO. Most of his problems with it were bugs which are already getting sorted out, and some are now gone. If you judged every Elder Scrolls game by the amount of bugs in it, then they'd all have 5/10 scores, but we know they are so much better than that.

I find vanilla ESO more immersive than vanilla Skyrim, or Oblivion. I'm pretty sure there's some unwritten rule that says it's best to review a new MMO 1 or 2 months after launch.

Silverfox, dgwoods and smuniz83 like this

Immersion... what a crock of shit selling point.

Brb expecting immersive gameplay in a MMO that periodically has idiots jumping around you naked.

Brb avoiding discussing the positive elements that he didn't try out like crafting because he had us give him free gear.

Brb lvl 19.

Brb 2nd zone.

Just lol.

Yes, mad. Because unfinished poorly executed review.

First of all, Joe never complained about the people jumping around him every day of every second he played with non-stop /w during the review. During the stream yes he asked them to stop periodically so he could get stuff done, but during the review he made no mention of it because of the simple fact...it had nothing to do with the game.

Second of all, Joe didn't ask for a thing while he played, everyone was just throwing stuff at his mailbox. On top of that, if crafting needs to sell an MMO...then that MMO has much bigger problems.

Third of all, Joe mentioned in Twitter he had borrowed his closest friends accounts to get a taste of the higher levels and what "end game" was actually available...which isn't much.

With all that debunking aside, imo Joe was generous with his score.

Sol Omega likes this

I agree to some extent, like how the stupid AI is, it just stand there in areas that are supposed to be under heavy attack. There is no sense of panic or urgency! At the most you fight like 3-4 enemies in a mob! I was hoping for hordes of enemies that required groups of players to defeat! maybe with the graphics they cant do that kind of rendering on one screen. But the graphics IMO are very good! I don't know what Joe's system specs are, but mine are uber and the graphic quality is awesome! Second to best in MMO's, with EvE online being first IMO.

The grouping system is kinda sucky and its easy to out level the grouping tool! like initially I couldn't do banished cells at the level it gives you (12) even in a group! so I came back at 16, tried to search for banished cells at this level but it wasn't allowing me to find the dungeon because apparently I was too high level!

I'm level 43 in the last area (reapers march) and I have not grouped with anyone while doing the quests, which makes it pretty much single player to me, which is a shame because if I do go back to help anyone, as Joe demonstrated, other players are invisible because their instance is different.

Overall though, I really like the game and think it deserves a higher mark than what Joe gave it, 7/10. I will continue to support the game because it is very playable and has repeatability! like I enjoy the play through again and again with different characters! Also the content planned sounds really interesting and I think the developers will invest a lot into making the game more enjoyable! its got a big name to live up to and they are willing to make it happen!

dgwoods likes this

I'm level 43 in the last area (reapers march) and I have not grouped with anyone while doing the quests, which makes it pretty much single player to me, which is a shame because if I do go back to help anyone, as Joe demonstrated, other players are invisible because their instance is different.

Reaper's March is not the last area. You'll see. But when you do get there you might have to group a few times depending on how well you play.

People saying "quests and boring" Have ya'll ever played mmo's and the repetive kill this monster 20x quests? 

People saying "quests and boring" Have ya'll ever played mmo's and the repetive kill this monster 20x quests? 

Yep, and it's boring as all hell.

Doesn't mean ESO isn't boring though, but seeing as how I've not played it I couldn't say.

It's not just ESO it's all MMO's pretty much.

When Tera was p2p I leveled my first two 60's fighting BAM"s pretty much solo. The fights were epic two maybe three mistakes and you died. The combat mechanic's were interesting and diverse imo.

ESO has I've said in another thread doesn't  have that "OMG that was awesome" moment in any of the first 40 levels I've played. It's pretty much "ho hum another quest, let's get er done"

You don't know Questing and Mob Grinding and group mechanics until you've played EverQuest. MWAHAHAHAHAHA. And I don't mean EQ now, I mean EQ when it was only Vanilla with Kunark and Velious! WoW was easy from day one, and got boring fast because it was easy, Raids were a joke in WoW,same with every MMO made since. You don't know camping with a group of 5 at the Sarnak Fort in LoiO for 32 hours just to get 3 levels and there was NO RED BULL BACK THEN! We had Downtime, real downtime, Socializing, group wipes, loss of XP, Loss of levels, our healers went OOM midway through chain pulls, Root parking was an artform, FD pulling was majestic, Tanks had 2 buttons to push, Rangers died, there were trains to zone, And Dvinn sat in his tower and laughed when he caught sight of you because he knew you were going to die. No MMO since has given me that WOW factor. Except TERA's combat system, and the big portal chain thing events in ESO.....Thats about it.....Oh And Dark Age of Camelot.

The two best MMO's made were EQ and DAoC. DAoC had reverse camping MoB AI, oh that was so much fun. I laugh when people think MMO's since WoW are quest grindy, then whine that you can't MoB grind. Did you know it was the MMO community back then that screamed for less MoB grind for levels and more quest grind, with progressive stories to immerse us all. And we get that, for 10 years we have been getting that and fast leveling, and for ten years still with all the whining. 

Does the game have bugs? Yes. Was Joe accurate? Yes. Was Joe right in reviewing the game right out of the gates? Yes and No. Yes because he was able to properly identify what was wrong with the game. No because they were in the process of fixing what was wrong with the game as far as the bugs go. As far as the immersion goes it could be a bit more epic I agree.

Joe should do another review, 6 months to a year from now, playing from level 1 to max, experiencing all content he can, then give a proper review. And no, playing your buddies high level toon does not count.

Or, Joe can man up and play Ever Quest. And only one of two things will happen if you play EQ, you'll go insane, or you'll find a sense of accomplishment you've never felt in an MMO when you stand proudly on the docks of Butcherblock holding Swiftwind and Earthcaller in all their lightning glory!...that is if you play a Ranger/Agro battery :) 

Actually it was funny I am now playing ESO and I generally do not enjoy MMORPG's. because of - forced grouping  boring quests ugly graphics dull combat and 16+ hours of grinding. 

But I actually really like ESO because have not really experienced any of the above as yet- sure Im really just starting out (lvl 15) . The combat is good and actually keeps me interested, the quests are generally well done with decent dialogue and some really good characters (I will continue to say Razum-Bar = Absolute G). The graphics are excellent and I feel that the pacing between missions is well done so that I don't feel the need to spend 4 hours in a dungeon whacking spiders on the head to boost xp.

However I have seen some of the things Joe pointed out in his review- a couple of times quests broke - so had to abandons and restart them- if you're in a  group you all have to be alive and in the room when a boss goes down to finish quest - otherwise you have to fight the boss again - lots of empty chests and containers- and some things (like lock picking) aren't explained at all (had to look it up.)

Also in terms of resources for crafting the game often give you a load of stuff you actually can't use quite early on and some materials for even basic crafting are incredibly freaking rare. (Pitch for bows is not for sale can't be farmed from enemies and finding that one log our in the wild is a nightmare. And even if you find the log you just have to HOPE you get some pitch. How are you supposed to improve crafting skills if finding BASIC materials is so hard?)

BUT - None of this has caused me to consider not playing - I'm actually quite invested in my character and the quests and stories - to the same level I would be in a regular Elder Scrolls game.

It could be argued then that maybe the hardened MMO players are the ones having the big problems here as they are all about the end game- raids and plunder and 'never ending quest to find a shinier pair of pants'.

dgwoods likes this

@TripsBro - Never played EQ, was playing NWN on a persistent world at that time, we had friendly fire on that server made the world much more challenging, muhahahaha. Nothing like trowing a fireball at a mob and killing your tank instead LMAO

my first play through of Tera I did most of the quest and the story line, however there were times when I would go off and hammer of some BAM's cause i wanted to do something beside talk to NPC a kill NPC b and return to NPC a.

All my other lvl cap character's have been leveled through grinding mobs, Bams and others. I don't do raids, since my first and only stint in WoW in '05 I've done one raid, No thank you DKP just isn't in my vocabulary.  the game is barely over a month old and I find it rather lackluster cancelled my 6 months original sub and went to month to month hoping beyond hope that the 1.1 patch isn't riddled with the same failed buggy release that the original game has been.

If it is they will not only be addressing the bugs from the original game but also whatever they intro with 1.1. The reason I feel like this might happen is PTS is not loaded with players testing the new build. It is only the players from the PTS in beta, and one can look at release to see how well that testing went, So history says we are about to get another bunch of bugs because the build isnt being stressed test with hundred of players in that zone trying to get things done. Ya the stress test noted as beta's didn't get much fixed though either. But i'll give em a chance to fix it .