• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

RapidsFire

Video games causes school shootings?

video games causes shooting?   282 members have voted

1. 1. do video games causes shootings?

• yes
    • no

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

147 posts in this topic

Although I think since this is a gaming forum we're all a little biased. 

The idea that the ex-poser to violent media being the magic trigger to cause such events is simply nonsense. 

After all when was it last in a popular video game series that a school was shot up by an antagonist or even a protagonist? 

You could try to make the claim that these games "train" these shooters on how to use a gun but then you'd sound a bit ridiculous. 

Yup, video games cause school shooting, as do movies, TV-series, radio programs and shaving.

:o OMG, RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! Won't someone think of the children!?

*grumble mumble*

It's really sad that this topic is discussed everytime something happens. Why does (in all media) no one asks why every perpetrator was trained in using  weapons and also had easy access to weapons. This of course would lead to other uncomfortable questions. As long as it is easy to find a scapegoat in video games  these will always be responsible for some people. I just hope in the future it will be as ridicules as the accusations in the 60s the Beatles are responsible for these actions or (if we go back further in time) Goethe.

It doesn't really matter if gaming causes it or not, media makes it seem like it does.

I remember reading about this little kid, about 8 years old, who shot his grandma with a rifle after play GTA: SA and of course the game was blamed.. not the fact that a little kid had access to a loaded rifle. But yeah, it's the game's fault, seems completely legit.

I also wonder if they blamed Pong for this back when it was the only game, I'm sure there were school shootings back then as well.

haha love this all voted No

at least we dont have misguided fools here - All hail the Angry Army

Everyone here have said almost everething that possible about that subject. So I'll just point out the fact that nobody haven't vote yes so far) Common sense Wins! Flawless Victory! 

I´ll say this..
Grunwald_bitwa.jpg
so ya video games are the ones causing violence...suree

Um NOOO

any one who blames a shooting on anything other than a nutter with a gun is either stupid misinformed or both.

I agree that they don't but I think most people on a gaming forum would think that

No, abuse and mistreatment on an individual from family or people they're generally situated around cause people to go nuts and shoot one another.

Maybe one in a million do it because 'it was in a game' but that's like saying that people who commit suicide do it because of Gilette razors being so great.

If anything, video games actually help prevent violence by allowing people to channel their anger and rage towards animated, inanimate objects...

Anyone who believes that he just lying to himself and to the entire world. With this not only you say that children are stupit and can't see the diffrence between something fantasy and something real.  Hell TV and the News are worse than video games.

Video games are as responsible for that a books or movies or anything else. If you're mentally healthy you're going to know "hey derp these are real people and the real world has serious repercussions derp." When this happens its because the person was mentally/emotionally unstable prior to the game, they didn't just kill an alien in-game then decide to shoot people.

Only shootings that happen are my mind blowing up when I hear the ridiculous news about them. 

Troubled people will always be troubled no matter the cause. The efforts should be on preventing that rather than trying to find some Genre to blame. It happened a lot in history yet the ''solutions'' are still the same , Blame something you don't like and make profit out of it.

It is sad really the resources spent on these researches could've been used on things that needs more attention.

NO, completely idiotic notion really, you play video games to get those violent tendancies out, not the other way around. Just another excuse for people to not face the real issue

MHDN likes this

Let's not blame the games for the actions of a nutter but I do agree that parents should heed age certifications on games and pay more attention to what their kids are playing. The graphics now allow you to see things in full technicolour and great detail. Video games can have adult themes and images that children shouldn't necessarily be exposed to.

At the same time I haven't voted because I honestly don't know what kind of effect games have on anyone else. I know on me it's all good! 

Regards,

g

The idea that games cause violence is one of my least favorite ideas ever. As a dedicated gamer, it greatly annoys me to see the media jump on every shooting with the same old "Grand Theft Auto did it." Do I say that younger children should be allowed to play violent games? No, but there can be a difference between age and maturity. I fully believe that some 15-20 year olds are more mature than some 50-60 year-old people. I think that we shouldn't focus on any supposed link between violence and games, and should focus on more productive and obvious ways to prevent violent shootings. 

Gareth Hunter likes this

Everyone likes to blame Doom, but no one wants likes to blame Bowling.

Nope. Troubled teenagers who have various issues are the cause of the shootings. Not that they happen to game. I do however acknowledge that a teen with various issues could be made worse if they/the parents do nothing about the issues and the teen just focuses so much on escapism (gaming) that they could lose grip on reality. Again though - the issues aren't related initially to gaming.

My thoughts. :)

Funny how the media attacks video games for all these incidents but doesn't bother to mention movies or music.

Talon likes this

I can see it now...

This just in!

Modern comedic stylings involving "Your Mother" jokes cause mothers everywhere to become "stupid", "fat", and "smelly"!

People kill people, whether it be with a gun or a rock. 

I don't think they can be called a direct cause. While yes, being subjected to constant violence and almost having it brainwash you can lead to mental instability, no person would voluntarily do this to themselves. For it to have an effect on them, they woudl have to witness it for 24 hours, 7 days a week with very little to no outside influence, and even then it only the most dramatic parts of gaming.

I also question why no points a finger at other forms of entertainment that can contain graphic content. I've seen plenty of movies and tv shows that have either killing or rape being depicted. I have also read plenty of books that are extremely graphic.

Long answer short; no, they don't.

I'd also like to point out that the poll is completely unnecessary. 100% for no. lol

most if not all these people who did these shootings were on antidepressant drugs why no fingers that way... oh wait pharmaceutical companies have lobby groups...