• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CQR Myles

Sunset Overdrive First Look

49 posts in this topic

The  game looks real damn fun 

I wasn't originally planning on getting this, but I'm so down to play it. All these good games are coming in the fall!

CQR Myles and Bs-KILL like this

i was laughing when i saw the different ways to respawn XD

Im gonna keep an eye out for this game :)

i wonder if there is gonna be character customization though

i was laughing when i saw the different ways to respawn XD

Im gonna keep an eye out for this game :)

i wonder if there is gonna be character customization though

Yes Saints Row style, full customization and no gender clothing restrictions  :D

Alexander452 and CyclicFlame like this

DAY 1 BUY!
My d*ck is ready for this!

It looks like a cool game, all of the Sony fanboys are already going nuts about it calling it a "poor mans infamous", the irony being that the PS4 is touted as the poor mans platform haha. To me it looks like a mix of Jet Set Radio, Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress 2 and Infamous, all around it should be a fun game to play.

To me this looks like a game that would have been on the Dreamcast back in the day, the spirit of real and fun gaming is not dead!

CQR Myles likes this

lol looks like deadrising 3 gave plants vs zombies the man meat an out came this! ^_^ Ill be keeping an eye on this it might be a must have.

It looks like a cool game, all of the Sony fanboys are already going nuts about it calling it a "poor mans infamous", the irony being that the PS4 is touted as the poor mans platform haha.

Really? Cause I have seen nothing like that on this site maybe on another forums.

Also calling the PS4 being "poor mans platform" is not true my friend.

Its actually a great console.

Also *facepalm*

The irony calling them fanboys yet you bashed the console by labeling it as a "poor man's platform"

Really? Cause I have seen nothing like that on this site maybe on another forums.

Also calling the PS4 being "poor mans platform" is not true my friend.

Its actually a great console.

Also *facepalm*

The irony calling them fanboys yet you bashed the console by labeling it as a "poor man's platform"

You need to branch out on the Internet, this isn't the only place people talk and to be honest you won't get very real or honest opinions around here because people are too rule driven and fake and when it comes to internet dialog and friendliness. Also I can't be ironic about something I didn't personally say...

"the irony being that the PS4 is touted as the poor mans platform" - This is something people say here and there to describe others not getting an Xbox One, they can't afford it and so on so they buy the PlayStation 4...

There is some reality to that however, the price is what is deterring a large number of people from buying it bringing truth to those words.

Man this game looks like damn good fun. It's a shame it's not coming to PS4 or PC, as I really don't see it as a system seller personally. I can honestly see it turning out in one of 2 ways:
Being a ridiculously fun experience like Saints Row, or turning out to be a waste of a great concept like Brink.

I have no reason to distrust Insomniac with this so I have high hopes.

10 things you need to know about Sunset Overdrive:

It’s An Open-World Game

The sprawling, colorful landscape of Sunset City awaits you. Rails and power lines connect buildings of various heights. Demented, soda-infused mutants roam the streets ready to be blasted with your weapons. Completing side missions and exploring unlocks new implements of destruction and other incentives. Even at this early stage in development, Sunset City looks like a promising open-world environment with lots of fun things to do on par with heavy hitters like Infamous and Batman: Arkham City.

Traversal Feels Like Tony Hawk

Sunset Overdrive isn’t just about plodding around on foot or floating through the skies. Traversing the city requires skill and precision, and the game will reward you for it. Grinding rails and hooking your crowbar to slide along power lines looks cool and effectively gets you around. Cruising around the city constantly builds up a style meter which strengthens weapons and other abilities. The end result feels like keeping a Tony Hawk combo going while gunning down enemies with forgiving, Ratchet &-Clank-esque aiming. Sunset Overdrive evokes that magical, the-floor-is-lava type of motivation.

Upgradable Weapon Variety Rivaling Ratchet & Clank

Speaking of Ratchet & Clank, Sunset Overdrive is going to have an arsenal rivaling the famous Lombax’s. The more you use weapons like the exploding teddy bear launcher and vinyl record-launching firearm, the more powerful they become. Sunset Overdrive even harkens back to Ratchet & Clank with its weapon wheel. The action slows down to let you choose your next weapon without throwing off the sense of momentum.

We Played It And It’s Fun

I sat down to play through roughly 30 minutes of Sunset Overdrive. It was rough at first without a tutorial to settle into, but I found myself getting the hang of things so quickly it surprised me. After tapping into my aforementioned Tony Hawk skills, I was grinding circles around and above my enemies while blasting them with fireworks. Combat and traversal are generally mutually exclusive experiences in open-world games, and Sunset Overdrive is blurring those lines with impressive results.

It Feels Like A True Insomniac Game

Save for the bright colors of its early platforming games, Sunset Overdrive doesn’t look like anything Insomniac has developed in the past. The goofy attitude, gonzo weaponry, and overall tone are a far cry from the grit and grounded gunplay of the Resistance games and Fuse. While it may not look familiar, Sunset Overdrive oozes with the studio’s signature style. The vivid color palette and platforming of games like Spyro and Ratchet are here, along with endless waves of ugly mutants reminiscent of Resistance’s Chimera. The Insomniac spirit is alive and well in Sunset Overdrive, and shows promise to thrive in the new open-world formant.

By The Creators Of Resistance 3

Speaking of Resistance, the Insomniac team working on Sunset Overdrive is being led by the men behind Resistance 3. Marcus Smith, who previewed a section of Resistance 3 with us, is creative director and Drew Murray is game director. For Resistance 3, these developers spearheaded the charge to return Insomniac’s iconic weapon wheel, more creative upgrades, and co-op after Resistance2 did away with these features. These two have a firm grip on what makes Insomniac games special and fans should find comfort in that.

You Can Customize Your Character, Big Time

Insomniac’s lead character artist is Gavin Goulden. Goulden’s resume includes work as lead character artist on BioShock Infinite and character work on Dead Rising 2. These credentials are important because of the huge role character customization plays in Sunset Overdrive. The protagonist is largely a wise-crackin’, fun-loving cipher for players to project their own identity upon. Players can express themselves by freely selecting their gender, body type, tattoos, and a large variety of clothing. Goulden’s stunning work on BioShock infinite along with the staggering customization variety of Dead Rising 2 make him a perfect fit for the role.

Not For Children

Despite the liberal use of bright colors and multiple nods to Ratchet & Clank, Sunset Overdrive is a game for adults. Insomniac’s story about a powerful soda company turning a city’s residents into mutants is a tongue-in-cheek commentary on big business’ influence on our lives. It comes complete with fourth wall-breaking quips, restaurant menu items referencing genitalia, and strong language. Insomniac is pulling out all the stops with a much more crass tone this time around. 

Multiplayer Is Planned

Sunset Overdrive's campaign is single-player only. Insomniac isn’t talking about competitive of cooperative multiplayer modes in Sunset Overdrive’s open world, but has mentioned multiplayer will be part of the experience in some form. The reveal trailer shows what looks like cooperative play, so we’re crossing our fingers for that.

When Does It Release?

Sunset Overdrive will hit the Xbox One this Fall.

Bs-KILL, CQR Myles and Qnz917 like this

Man this game looks fun! I've been on the fence about picking up a kinnectless X Box One, but this is some incentive right here!

This looks like a game that says 'screw it! Just have some fun already!' ala Saints Row. And games that encourage me to sit back, have fun, and laugh while I'm playing them ~always~ hit my play list.

A game that lets me bring my custom single player character into online multiplayer is awesome. One that lets me do it without having to back out of single player and return to my menu screen? Brilliant!!!

Qnz917 likes this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0