• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kaz32

Great movie/ series based on video games thread. Enjoy these great hidden gems that you probably don't know about.

39 posts in this topic

So we all know that most movies based on video games are dogshit. They took the characters from the source material, made it into a movie, and just don't care about the result. I'm of course talking about the craps that are Super Mario Brothers movie, Mortal Kombat Annihilation (although I find these two movies quite hillarious and enjoyable), most of the Resident Evil movie series or anything made by that retard that made the House of the Dead game movie that's so pathetic, Hideo Kojima actually gets angry when someone mentions that lowlife.

However, there are exceptions of adaptations based on video games that are great. So great in fact because they are completely faithful to the source material, that they are as equal or even better than the games because they're either faithfully recreated or expanded upon in a good way. I know It's hard to believe, but it's true. This thread will unveal these things, whether it's movies, animes or whatever adaptations you can think off that are proof that there are great video game adaptations. Some of you may see these things for the first time. If so, great! Hopefully you'll find these movies and shows enjoyable to watch. Feel free to show us a good adaptation based on a video game as well so we will know them.

I'll start first with Street Fighter. No, not the one with Jean Claude, although I love Bison's line "but for me, it was Tuesday." Bison in this movie is much more awesome than the main game's I'll give the movie that. The one I'm talking about is of course, the animated movie based on Street Fighter 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX2T2mG87DU

Great fight scenes, the characters are true to the video game, good story and excellent animations. Plus there's a fight scene between Chun Li and Vega while Chun Li just got out taking a bath. NEED I SAY MORE????

That movie is great. I love Street Fighter II: V even more. Damn great series (and the intro song kicks ass)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDR-mvUnNZw

Aw hell yes! I watched this series from beginning till the end when I was 12. It's pretty damn violent, especially because 2 of the episodes ends with Chun-Li's dad almost getting killed and Ken getting his ass brutalized by Vega. It's pretty weird how this series concentrates more on Ken as the main character and only in the end Ryu becomes one by destroying Bison with a super hadoken. Good stuff.

Here's another anime based on a fighting video game. From Virtua Fighter. Also a great adaptation that actually has a story unlike the game which has NOTHING. Plus it makes the characters actually have personalities unlike the game which makes them all showoffs, and it has martial arts techniques that's presented in detail too. Until the later episodes which eliminates them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rZQL2h_Cwo

For whatever reason episode 1 has no version that's subbed. Enjoy!

I wonder where my thread on this went, but oh well. :D

You have a thread like this? Cool! Is it about the same thing or is it just about movies based on video games in general? Carry it over if you have good ones that's great.

You have a thread like this? Cool! Is it about the same thing or is it just about movies based on video games in general? Carry it over if you have good ones that's great.

Just movies in my case, but it's buried so deep that I don't really care one way or another.

I met a nice German guy in Ontario once. He said he was interested in making a Heavy Rain movie. I gave him the film rights on the spot.

Sweet! Have Indigo Prophecy and Beyond Two Souls too as movies!

Personally though I prefer the games than it being made to a movie, cause you're able to choose what the outcome of the game will be in the end. And I feel that it's much more emotionally invested because you're playing the game and follow each main character's journey through hard and sad times. Seeing it as a movie just lessens the impact.

Back to topic. Here's an anime series based on the visual novel called Clannad. It perfectly captures the visual novel's themes and makes the already good visual novel better by making it even sadder and more natural. And funnier. You'll cry quite a few times watching this anime series. Highly recommended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgKzN3t7J4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22elIcKp7aY

Back to topic. Here's an anime series based on the visual novel called Clannad. It perfectly captures the visual novel's themes and makes the already good visual novel better by making it even sadder and more natural. And funnier. You'll cry quite a few times watching this anime series. Highly recommended.

Fuck Clannad! One of the most depressing stories I've had the displeasure to watch (and thankfully not finish). I didn't mind it so much until I read the wiki page about what happens in the second season. Fuck that!

Fuck Clannad! One of the most depressing stories I've had the displeasure to watch (and thankfully not finish). I didn't mind it so much until I read the wiki page about what happens in the second season. Fuck that!

Awww mann, that's the beauty of the whole story! It's supposed to be sad and depressing. But at the end it all becomes happy so it's all worth it. Finish it! You won't be disappointed.

If the main episode is too depressing for you, here's 2 other episodes that takes place in an alternate continuity where Tomoya dates 2 other people. These two are based on the route in the visual novel. Much more happy in tone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy5rxpaVq6I

Awww mann, that's the beauty of the whole story! It's supposed to be sad and depressing. But at the end it all becomes happy so it's all worth it. Finish it! You won't be disappointed.

If the main episode is too depressing for you, here's 2 other episodes that takes place in an alternate continuity where Tomoya dates 2 other people. These two are based on the route in the visual novel. Much more happy in tone.

No! Just no! I'm okay with some drama, but if it can induce tears in me, then screw that! I ain't gonna cry over some anime series that has basically zero comedy to it. And I've had enough with the main character dying somewhere along the line. Tengen Toppa being the worst of them all:

I hated it when Nia had to disappear at the end. It just shocked and pissed me off too hard. Wasn't even able to work properly the next day as I was constantly pondering myself about it.

Also Guilty Crown was rather depressing despite it's pretty awesome action scenes.

Kaz32 likes this

No! Just no! I'm okay with some drama, but if it can induce tears in me, then screw that! I ain't gonna cry over some anime series that has basically zero comedy to it. And I've had enough with the main character dying somewhere along the line. Tengen Toppa being the worst of them all:

I hated it when Nia had to disappear at the end. It just shocked and pissed me off too hard. Wasn't even able to work properly the next day as I was constantly pondering myself about it.

Also Guilty Crown was rather depressing despite it's pretty awesome action scenes.

........You cried? Wow, that's unexpected. I thought you're a stone cold mother fucker that can't cry. That's good!

Zero comedy? There's a lot of funny moments in the anime. Like these:

The game's baseball game version is pretty damn funny. I mean who would have thought that the dorm lady is actually $@@$&"$ years old.

........You cried? Wow, that's unexpected. I thought you're a stone cold mother fucker that can't cry. That's good!

Zero comedy?

The game's baseball game version is pretty damn funny. I mean who would have thought that the dorm lady is actually $@@$&"$ years old.

I didn't as I even didn't finish season 1, but I probably would've or I would've raged very hard at it. I rarely get emotionally attached to any anime, but to those that I have, I usually hold in high regard. Hell, Tengen Toppa is 10th and Guilty Crown is 4th in my own personal top 10 anime list despite they're rather depressing parts. But Clannad was just down right getting annoying and boring with its constant depression. It also fails as a decent love story, at least in my book. I much rather watch Toradora then.

Okay, I over-exaggerated about the "zero-comedy". It does have some, but to me they were just failed attempts to make the anime seem more "appealing" which actually just made it worse for me.

I didn't as I even didn't finish season 1, but I probably would've or I would've raged very hard at it. I rarely get emotionally attached to any anime, but to those that I have, I usually hold in high regard. Hell, Tengen Toppa is 10th and Guilty Crown is 4th in my own personal top 10 anime list despite they're rather depressing parts. But Clannad was just down right getting annoying and boring with its constant depression. It also fails as a decent love story, at least in my book. I much rather watch Toradora then.

Okay, I over-exaggerated about the "zero-comedy". It does have some, but to me they were just failed attempts to make the anime seem more "appealing" which actually just made it worse for me.

I never find the anime sad. Sure it's depressing but it's not like Grave of the Fireflies where it's just constantly getting worse and worse and worse. It has a good balance between depressing and upliftingly funny. I laughed quite a lot at the moments. In the end it all work out well though since Tomoya manages to live and be happy with Nagisa and their daughter. You stopped watching at the wrong moment.

And like I showed you before, there's 2 alternate stories where Tomoya dates 2 different people. Watch them, they're more happier and sweet.

I never find the anime sad. Sure it's depressing but it's not like Grave of the Fireflies where it's just constantly getting worse and worse and worse. It has a good balance between depressing and upliftingly funny. I laughed quite a lot at the moments. In the end it all work out well though since Tomoya manages to live and be happy with Nagisa and their daughter. You stopped watching at the wrong moment.

And like I showed you before, there's 2 alternate stories where Tomoya dates 2 different people. Watch them, they're more happier and sweet.

I didn't even have to watch it. I just read on wiki what happens next. That was enough for me, thank you very much. And before you start complaining that I shouldn't have done that, let me tell you why I read it - because the show was very slow initially and the harem was getting rather great, so I just had to check what the fuck happen next.

I didn't even have to watch it. I just read on wiki what happens next. That was enough for me, thank you very much. And before you start complaining that I shouldn't have done that, let me tell you why I read it - because the show was very slow initially and the harem was getting rather great, so I just had to check what the fuck happen next.

Oooohhh, so you decided to stop watching and check the wiki out because Tomoya picked Nagisa and made the other girls cry. Well that's up to you man, you're free to do what you wish. That's just the anime version though. The game allows you to date everyone. So for me, after watching the depressing moment where he broke his harem, I immediately played the game and date EVERYONE, including the dorm lady, Sunohara's sister, Nagisa's mom (temporarily) and the library girl. It was worth it. Play the game! It's much more happier and less depressing.

Oooohhh, so you decided to stop watching and check the wiki out because Tomoya picked Nagisa and made the other girls cry. Well that's up to you man, you're free to do what you wish. That's just the anime version though. The game allows you to date everyone. So for me, after watching the depressing moment where he broke his harem, I immediately played the game and date EVERYONE, including the dorm lady, Sunohara's sister, Nagisa's mom (temporarily) and the library girl. It was worth it. Play the game! It's much more happier and less depressing.

No, I actually stopped watching right after the arc about the girl who was in the hospital. It was just too slow for me.

No, I actually stopped watching right after the arc about the girl who was in the hospital. It was just too slow for me.

That girl is alive in the end. She just dissapeared because she recovered from her coma. Good thing you stopped because the next part is very sad. I don't think you can go through it.

If it feels slow, that's because the anime uses some of the girl's route from the game. In this case it's Fuuko's. The end of the route shows Fuuko recovering from her coma and go date Tomoya, so it all works out well. The next arc is about this genius girl that always skips classes. Her story is the most realistically depressing in the whole anime, but she got over it in the end.

See, it's not so bad. Grave of the Fireflies is much worse than this.

That girl is alive in the end. She just dissapeared because she recovered from her coma. Good thing you stopped because the next part is very sad. I don't think you can go through it.

If it feels slow, that's because the anime uses some of the girl's route from the game. In this case it's Fuuko's. The end of the route shows Fuuko recovering from her coma and go date Tomoya, so it all works out well. The next arc is about this genius girl that always skips classes. Her story is the most realistically depressing in the whole anime, but she got over it in the end.

See, it's not so bad. Grave of the Fireflies is much worse than this.

I think I might've got into that arc, but I don't really remember. Just shows how forgettable the characters were to me.

Never seen Grave of the Fireflies. Seeing how old it is, I probably won't either. Not to mention the length of it. The only feature-long anime series I like are Kara no Kyoukai.

Never seen Grave of the Fireflies. Seeing how old it is, I probably won't either. Not to mention the length of it. The only feature-long anime series I like are Kara no Kyoukai.

You told me you hated depressing stuff. That movie is so depressing that after you see it, you will think Clannad is like My Little Pony.

Back to topic. Do you have any movie/ anime based on video games that's good that you know off?

Next is from the visual novel Fate Stay Night. Not the anime, but the movie based on the route Unlimited Blade Works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7obFlaRzAe8

You have to play the game to understand what's happening since the movie skips through expositions, but what it lacks in plot it makes up with extreme badassery and awesomeness. This feels more like a video game than the actual video game itself. It's awesome!

The Tales of the Abyss anime was great as was the Bayonetta animated film which deviates from the game, of course, but is still really bad ass.

Slightly off topic, but I would highly recommend the movie Red Cliff.  It is not at all based off of Dynasty Warriors, but any Dynasty Warriors fan is sure to love it.

Kaz32 likes this

When I first watched Fate/ Stay Night, I regarded it as my all time favorite. When I re-watched it, I regarded it as one of the dumbest series of all time.

When I first watched Fate/ Stay Night, I regarded it as my all time favorite. When I re-watched it, I regarded it as one of the dumbest series of all time.

Do you know a good adaptation based on a video game or not? Please contribute. It's the point of the thread after all.

The Tales of the Abyss anime was great as was the Bayonetta animated film which deviates from the game, of course, but is still really bad ass.

Slightly off topic, but I would highly recommend the movie Red Cliff.  It is not at all based off of Dynasty Warriors, but any Dynasty Warriors fan is sure to love it.

Bayonetta had a movie? Awesome! Thanks for that.

Red Cliff is pretty much not Dynasty Warriors related because it's based on real history on the battle of Chi Bi. But it does remind me of Dynasty Warriors so ok!

Do you know a good adaptation based on a video game or not? Please contribute. It's the point of the thread after all.

Yes. One that I can think off of the top of my head - Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse. However, the series don't really follow anything from the game as far as I'm aware and are original.

Kaz32 likes this