• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dovafox

2013: A bad year for gaming?

21 posts in this topic

Now, starting soft and easy, I have noticed that this year must have been one of the worst (in my opinion) years for gaming.

I will show you some of the games which was a total disaster:

- Fast & Furious: Showdown

- Ride to hell: Retribution

- Day One: Garry's Incident

I have felt like that developers has stopped ENTIRELY about caring to polish or fix their games. People have been focusing to rush games to earn money, such a disappointment for the game industries.

What is your opinion about this year of gaming? Was it a game you were completely excited about and got really disappointed on? 

At the same time these following games release this year:

• Bioshock Infinite
  • The Last of Us
  • Beyond Two Souls
  • GTA V
  • Tomb Raider
  • Fire Emblem Awakening

Every game has its fair share of stinkers and absolute shit. Until the day where we have another ET and a game that is so bad that it literally kills the market I think we will be fine.

Dovafox, Viktormon and Saigonrice like this

I don't really know if it is the worst year for gaming. I, at least, think that The Last of Us and Path of Exile are bringing games back to their roots. The Last of Us had amazing characters taking a journey through a well thought out and controversial story. Path of Exile has made great steps towards bringing games back to their "hardcore" nature (less dumbing down). Both these games have clearly not been rushed and have been very successful. Also, I'm glad DayZ Standalone and Watch Dogs have been pushed back; I think they know that it is better to not rush these games.

Also to add to the list, Rome II. That game was rushed and very much a disappointment.

Viktormon likes this

There as a lot good games too GTA V, last of us, Europa Universalis 4, Terraria 1.2, Battlefield 4, War Thunder, Warframe and much more ps4 is coming too :)

But 2014 will be insane with all new consoles there will be so many games !

A bad year in gaming is going to be when companies decide to put a 80 dollar price tag on games. I mean seriously it's getting very difficult to keep buying and supporting the games and franchises that one likes.

Hell naw, like the above have pointed out, there are great games out there that tip the scales.

The last few games you mentioned is of course pretty good.

But it feels like, that amount of games that has been rushed has increased more than before. 

Bad games do not define a year 

Good games do

Well said, but I were talking about how many games that actually has been rushed this years. It feels odd.

To me saying "This is a bad year in gaming" discourages people and developers into thinking it's all bad

But who am I to talk!
My comp & budges is so bad that I have to play LAST YEAR's games!

There will always be bad games, many of them at that. What matters is if we get a lot of good games, and thus far, we have. Not to mention, games that came out in previous years have continued to be updated and improved, and technology has continued to advanced. 

This has been a good year

There will always be bad games, many of them at that. What matters is if we get a lot of good games, and thus far, we have. Not to mention, games that came out in previous years have continued to be updated and improved, and technology has continued to advanced. 

This has been a good year

That's a matter of opinion, of course many great things have happened. Technology has been improved and seems to be evolving.

But first of all, look at Fast & Furious, The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct, Call of Duty: Ghosts (Performance, content etc.) and a lot more games that has been released this year. I am looking back at 2012, there weren't so many bad games there, not in 2011 either.

I do not think that this year was a bad one just because some games failed to impress or catch interest at all. I believe that this year has been,so far, a great year full of grand emotion grabbing games such as The Last of Us and The Walking Dead also with great competitive games such as BF4. So all in all this year may have had some unimpressive games but a lot of awesome compelling ones have been released too.

I don't quite think people remember years that had bad games released. If we did that list would be full of games we've never heard of...because they're bad.

But like everyone else said, you remember the good ones. I really enjoyed Beyond: 2 Souls story as well as GTA V.

There have been just as many bad games in the last years, we just choose to focus on them more this year. These games do not matter, nor do they change anything. And aside from a few examples such as aliens colonial marines, the games never really had any potential to begin with. Thus, they can simply be ignored, as they are of no importence

Dovafox likes this

Wouldn't really call it a bad year but I do understand your point. I've also noticed that a lot of big titles have been released with some major problems. This shouldn't be acceptable... But yeah for me personally a game like GTA V can make it a good year for gaming.

I wouln't say the worst year. There were some good games . But to be honest i prefer the era of PlayStation and N64  ... you had so many good games to choose from . nowdays you have 2-3 good games and the rest are just crap.

Out of the three games that you mentioned, did you expect anything from them?  The only real letdown I can see this year is Rome 2 and that's not even because it's a bad game, it's just full of bugs that will hopefully be fixed.  This is one of the beset years in a while because of the amount of good games.  A year is always defined by the great games, not the terrible ones

However, you do bring up an interesting question.  That question being are games being rushed.  Honestly, I think it goes both ways.  Rome 2 was clearly rushed (and it shows) but GTA V, The Last of Us, and Watch Dogs were all moved back in order to give the developers time to polish.   

Out of the three games that you mentioned, did you expect anything from them?  

Guess you had a point there, but I did expect The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct to be great as it is licensed. But that game showed me that I shall never trust licensed games, EVER.

I should've clarified about what I really meant on this thread, I meant to ask what is your opinion on this years gaming. Editing that now.

This year has been mediocre with Grand Theft Auto V being the cherry on the mediocre cake.

I can think of quite a few great games, and a lot of games that look great that were either pushed back a little or that were crowd funded this year. So no, I don't think ti was a bad year for gaming. I haven't found games this year that I've enjoyed as much as some passed years but it still certainly wasn't a bad year.