• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

snipermurph

Best Free MMO's

35 posts in this topic

Recommend me some! I started playing D&D Neverwinter but its kinda boring.

There's a lot of online games (all MMOs are online games, not all online games are MMOs though, but people still often call them MMOs) out there, that can cater to most any taste in gaming you may have. It'd be best to tell us what exactly you're looking for from an online game, and what you want to avoid, otherwise people will just rhyme off their own personal favourites, even if they would be games you have no interest in.

I know a lot of people have a problem with it but SWTOR is not all that bad. Its actually pretty good IMO! Yeah... even though they technically say its F2P, you really cant do shit in that game without giving EA SOME amount of money but what is there is fun (If you like WoW style MMO's. If you don't like that style then avoid at all costs because its a direct clone of WoW.) We have an AJSA SWTOR guild too!

xevious21 likes this

Really cannot recommend a free to play MMO that are currently out. If you find yourself becoming bored with Neverwinter, I would ask why are you playing F2P MMO's? Do you play with friends or family? Do you have an active guild to play with? Are you into PvP or PvE? 

Determining how you play and why you have gotten bored is key to figuring what makes you happy man!

Tera online, the question sucks. But the combat system is really fun, give it a shot if that was your problem with Neverwinter, sure was what I hated about it.

Really cannot recommend a free to play MMO that are currently out. If you find yourself becoming bored with Neverwinter, I would ask why are you playing F2P MMO's? Do you play with friends or family? Do you have an active guild to play with? Are you into PvP or PvE? 

Determining how you play and why you have gotten bored is key to figuring what makes you happy man!

Yeah I'm not really sure why I play them either but I'll get back to Neverwinter soon enough.

I would say Lord of the Rings Online. Besides the obvious story arc, for me, one of the best communities.  It is FtP, but there are  lots of expansions.

Belrix

AION is a very well done true F2P mmo..with no pay wall and no missing content.....I loved it for the first few years it was out but it is grindy.  But for a full complete MMO game that is also Free to PLay def jump into it.  I will be playing Wildstar on the 31st of May and I cannot wait.

Where to start. Hmm...

Path of Exile is a great ARPG. Very dark, very atmospheric. It's what Diablo 3 should have been. 

Rift is a great MMORPG that's kind of like WoW but isn't. That doesn't make sense when you read it, but it'll make total sense once you play Rift. Just remember to go Defiant. Guardians are loser assfaces. 

DC Universe Online is a pretty good superhero MMORPG. In my opinion, Champions Online is better, but it's a bit dated graphically and its published by Perfect World so there are a ton of paywalls. 

If DC isn't your thing, then Marvel Heroes is a good alternative. Although it's an ARPG and not an MMORPG, it's still pretty fun and you can play as some classic Marvel universe heroes.

If you can tolerate anime then I highly recommend Dragon Nest. It's a great action-type MMORPG with a battlesystem similar to Neverwinter but with a story that doesn't put you to sleep. Best character class is the time-traveling tinker girl with the huge cannon. 

Puntosmx, TurboDog and snipermurph like this

There are some dumb paywalls like heroes but honestly, you can get away with paying at most 20 bucks for Marvel Heroes. It is especially a good deal right now since it is having a sale where every hero or costume you buy nets you a random costume or hero to. Basically buy one get one free. So, if you were considering going to a mostly free 2 play game, have like 20 bucks to grab a hero you like with a costume, you get an extra one to start off free. Not a bad deal. Not to mention you get a starter hero which includes a few good ones.

https://marvelheroes.com/

I don't have mmo experience I can only recommend the very first and only mmo I every played which is Tera: Rising. Combat feels kinda like a 3d fighter. Well give all the games that were suggested a try only way you'll know which you'll like is to play them.

Where to start. Hmm...

Path of Exile is a great ARPG. Very dark, very atmospheric. It's what Diablo 3 should have been. 

Rift is a great MMORPG that's kind of like WoW but isn't. That doesn't make sense when you read it, but it'll make total sense once you play Rift. Just remember to go Defiant. Guardians are loser assfaces. 

DC Universe Online is a pretty good superhero MMORPG. In my opinion, Champions Online is better, but it's a bit dated graphically and its published by Perfect World so there are a ton of paywalls. 

If DC isn't your thing, then Marvel Heroes is a good alternative. Although it's an ARPG and not an MMORPG, it's still pretty fun and you can play as some classic Marvel universe heroes.

If you can tolerate anime then I highly recommend Dragon Nest. It's a great action-type MMORPG with a battlesystem similar to Neverwinter but with a story that doesn't put you to sleep. Best character class is the time-traveling tinker girl with the huge cannon. 

Marvel Heroes more so than DC as DCUO is more like SWTOR were you can only play for so long before you have to dish out cash. Marvel Heroes on the other hand is completely free.

Aside from the idea of which is "best" are there any free to play that other members are frequently playing? I know pay wise there's ESO and Wildstar, I've been considering dropping WoW to pick up a different one, but WoW for some reason still keeps my attention. I honestly don't know what it is about it either. 

The Old Republic is technically free. I also personally liked Star Trek Online, though it was rather repetitive. There was also a pretty cool Fantasy MMO called Karos Online. Additionally, Perfect World is gorgeous and has an amazing character customization setup.

I've found that Defiance is actually a pretty fun f2p title.

Rift is good as well.

While not free to play, I think the best bang for your buck is going to be GW2. It's b2p, but it's a fantastic value with nearly constant bi weekly updates to it's content, no pay wall, and allows you to purchase gems for it's in game store with your in game currency.

If you're looking for something beside the standard TAB TARGETING I will never miss, Tera has zero restrictions on F2P with the exception of two characters per server

The combat system is great, graphics are good

If you like those town hub instanced dungeon brawler / hack and slash games with RPG mechanics (which aren't really MMOs, but they are online games) C9 is really fun (don't bother playing through Steam though). Then another fun one is Dark Blood Online, which is coming back tomorrow.

I recommend these:
1) Tera - Graphics and combat system
2) Aura Kingdom - Art style (Anime)
3) Aion - You get wings and can fly around the world
4) Rift - Graphics

I know a lot of people have a problem with it but SWTOR is not all that bad. Its actually pretty good IMO! Yeah... even though they technically say its F2P, you really cant do shit in that game without giving EA SOME amount of money but what is there is fun (If you like WoW style MMO's. If you don't like that style then avoid at all costs because its a direct clone of WoW.) We have an AJSA SWTOR guild too!

I agree with the suggestion but I disagree about what you said concerning the business model. 

I was about to suggest Swtor because it actually has a good f2p/preferred model. You can do a lot as f2p, and the stuff you can't, you can buy with in game credits at the GTN as unlocks, like weekly OP passes, artifact equipment, and credit cap. Of course the biggest drawback is the expansion,you can't get to 55 but you can subscribe for 1 month get it for free, then switch back to preferred and have even more restrictions lifted.

I also disagree that it's a clone of WoW. First of all wow's f2p model absolutely sucks, it's not even a "model" at all, it's just trial,that's all it is.

Secondly, how do you possibly draw conclusion that it's a clone of wow? Yeah it's an MMORPG, so it's got things like dungeons/raids, pvp zones but what exactly are you referring to? 

On a more personal note, I've played a lot wow myself before I got into Swtor, and I recognized a lot of the things that are outdated by WoW standards to be improved by this game like the quests and PvP warzones, professions etc....... 

The very best thing about SWTOR is the WZ's pre level cap. 10-30 30-54 u can compete and not be a total wasted slot

Like every other Gear progression MMO fresh level cap ur a wasted slot in any WZ's unless ur in a premade and can get carried by ur guild or group. I will say this ToR isnt as bad as some games with the gear progression in WZ's.

But thats nothing new since the Burning Crusades expansion of WoW. Vanilla WoW didn't have that craptastic be level cap and play 8 hours a day and be unkillable.

However thats the current model of every MMO on the market atm