• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
myteesharp

Intro to Star Citizen

16 posts in this topic

So I've been considering supporting SC by getting the $40 pack. But I'm completely in the dark as far as where I go from there and have several questions.

1. Does buying that pack give me access to the game in its current form or do I have to wait for a more widespread 'beta'?

2. Once I'm in the game would I be able to work my way up to earning new ships with in game currency or is ship acquisition done with USD?

3. What is currently available in the game to do? 

Those are the biggest questions I have currently and are the three roadblocks that are preventing me from putting money towards this game. If anyone could answer these for me I'd greatly appreciate it.

So I've been considering supporting SC by getting the $40 pack. But I'm completely in the dark as far as where I go from there and have several questions.

1. Does buying that pack give me access to the game in its current form or do I have to wait for a more widespread 'beta'?

2. Once I'm in the game would I be able to work my way up to earning new ships with in game currency or is ship acquisition done with USD?

Those are the biggest questions I have currently and are the three roadblocks that are preventing me from putting money towards this game. If anyone could answer these for me I'd greatly appreciate it.

1. If you click on 'more info' on the package it should tell you what comes with it.

2. Yes you can buy ships in game.

3. Right now, not much. You can walk around your hanger and get inside your ship. However, on the 29th of May the Arena Commander portion is supposed to be released. With it you can actually fly ships, and at some point do some multiplayer dogfighting.

1. The Alpha/Beta slots are all sold out but you can play the DFM if you buy a special DFM ticket along with the ship - $5 I think. You should be able to play when they release the DFM immediately for single player. Multiplayer however will be incremental and depends on your citizen number. If you are 400 k and over you might have a wait. 

2. You can buy ships or earn them in game so it really isn't pay to win. I'm not sure but I would imagine that earning ships might only be possible after the game is officially out. 

3. Although there isn't much to do, the Hangars are pretty cool. And the DFM comes out in a week anyway. 

The previous answers were mostly correct but partially inaccurate.

1. I'm not sure what you mean by 40 $ package- the kickstarter packs are no longer avlable. If you are considering the "Aurora MR+" package, a Beta slot is included. The Beta was supposed to start in a few months, but I think it is fair to say that it might be delayed by at least 6 months.The Alpha slots are all sold out. You can buy a Module pass for the upcoming Arena Commander module here. This will grant you access to the dogfighting module as soon as the Arena Commander Alpha is fully released for everyone, which might not be for a few weeks.

2. Right now you can buy (actually, more like preorder) ships using USD as part of the pledging system, but I haven't heard any mention of ship purchases being possible once the Beta is over.

EDIT: Today on 10FTC, Chris Roberts clarified that you will be able to purchase UEC (in-game currency) with real money. These purchases will be limited to prevent them from unbalancing the economy.

3. The hangar module lets you walk around your hangar, enter your ships and interact with a few objects. The upcoming Arena Commander will feature dogfighting against NPCs and later players. This update will have a staggered launch, so don't expect to be able to play right away.

Also, please make sure you have understood that this game is currently in Alpha and thus broken as fuck before you buy anything or I will make fun of you.

EDIT: Today on 10FTC, Chris Roberts clarified that you will be able to purchase UEC (in-game currency) with real money. These purchases will be limited to prevent them from unbalancing the economy.

Technicaly, this was announced during the ks-campaign back in November 2012. Originaly they considered no real world purchases at all, but many star citizen fans work fulltime and might only have a few hours each week to play the game, so they can get a little boost to get to the better ships reasonably fast.

Joda likes this

Technicaly, this was announced during the ks-campaign back in November 2012. Originaly they considered no real world purchases at all, but many star citizen fans work fulltime and might only have a few hours each week to play the game, so they can get a little boost to get to the better ships reasonably fast.

Oh, I suppose I didn't read as far back. Thanks for the info :)

TBH, this probably won't be so bad. Stuff like that exists in EVE and the economy is perfectly fine.

I remember when Mr. Roberts said that and a lot of people were claiming it was a 'pay to win' scam. And some people still do. But it is only pay to win if certain items are only available via purchasing. So far everything can be earned in game so pay to win is a false argument. I wonder though, how many of those complaining about 'pay to win' have real jobs? If they did I doubt they would bitch about purchasing items instead of earning them in game. 

I wonder though, how many of those complaining about 'pay to win' have real jobs? If they did I doubt they would bitch about purchasing items instead of earning them in game. 

I don't mind people with little time buying extra credits, but they act like that's their only target audience for this micro-transaction system and(unless they limit it to people that play <X hours a month) that's not a reasonable argument in my eyes.

I have a fear that people who "no-life" the game will buy credits to get an even bigger advantage, or organizations of which the members all buy credits to use it collectively. (pretty much exploiting the system)

I understand why they need to do it and they will probably regulate it, but I'm not sold on it yet. (hehe)

Joda likes this

I don't mind people with little time buying extra credits, but they act like that's their only target audience for this micro-transaction system and(unless they limit it to people that play <X hours a month) that's not a reasonable argument in my eyes.

I have a fear that people who "no-life" the game will buy credits to get an even bigger advantage, or organizations of which the members all buy credits to use it collectively. (pretty much exploiting the system)

I understand why they need to do it and they will probably regulate it, but I'm not sold on it yet. (hehe)

Yeah I suppose. But I also look at it from a different perspective. When you earn you ships you usually end up becoming a better pilot than those who buy their ships outright. So earn your ship pilots are more effective than buy your ship pilot. In short more meat for the grinder for those of us who put in the hard hours. 

Jackie likes this

Yeah I suppose. But I also look at it from a different perspective. When you earn you ships you usually end up becoming a better pilot than those who buy their ships outright. So earn your ship pilots are more effective than buy your ship pilot. In short more meat for the grinder for those of us who put in the hard hours. 

I guess that's true. I think it's just my inner hatred for micro-transactions and ingame purchases that makes me dislike the idea.

Joda likes this

I guess that's true. I think it's just my inner hatred for micro-transactions and ingame purchases that makes me dislike the idea.

Yeah, would be nice if they didn't do that at all. But keeping the game going requires some micro-transactions I suppose. 

I agree with you on micro transactions, but I don't consider this micro transactions. For me micro transactions is stuff like: 'You ran out of amunition, keep fighting with your knife or buy a new amunition clip for $0.50.' That just breaks any kind of immersion and is a really mean way of pricing your game. If you just can buy 100'000 credits or so somewhere away from the core game functionalities each month bothers me way less.

And from what I heard, buying credits is not necessarily very efficient. 100'000 Credits will cost $100 and will allow you to either buy 6 Guns or maybe a 300i... I think if you are really a gosu-gamer who plays an average of 6 hours a day, 100'000 credits will not be a significant ammount for you in this game. And if they invest $100 dollars each month into the server infrastructures, why should I complain?

Joda likes this

I agree with you on micro transactions, but I don't consider this micro transactions. For me micro transactions is stuff like: 'You ran out of amunition, keep fighting with your knife or buy a new amunition clip for $0.50.' That just breaks any kind of immersion and is a really mean way of pricing your game. If you just can buy 100'000 credits or so somewhere away from the core game functionalities each month bothers me way less.

And from what I heard, buying credits is not necessarily very efficient. 100'000 Credits will cost $100 and will allow you to either buy 6 Guns or maybe a 300i... I think if you are really a gosu-gamer who plays an average of 6 hours a day, 100'000 credits will not be a significant ammount for you in this game. And if they invest $100 dollars each month into the server infrastructures, why should I complain?

Good points. 

The thing is, this is a skill based game similar to planetside 2 as opposed to a "D20" game such as eve, so all the powerful lasers may as well be useless if you can't blind fire well.

I think that most micro transactions will make most cash on cosmetic items mostly, but that just basing it on other games of similar models/ universe

The thing is, this is a skill based game similar to planetside 2 as opposed to a "D20" game such as eve, so all the powerful lasers may as well be useless if you can't blind fire well.

I think that most micro transactions will make most cash on cosmetic items mostly, but that just basing it on other games of similar models/ universe

No, it was specificly stated, that the only thing you can buy with real world money is ingames credits and that the game will make no difference between in game credits and credits bought with real world money.

And now I make a diplomacy roll to convince you, that d20 is skill based... it's not easy rolling high numbers every single time ;)

No, it was specificly stated, that the only thing you can buy with real world money is ingames credits and that the game will make no difference between in game credits and credits bought with real world money.

And now I make a diplomacy roll to convince you, that d20 is skill based... it's not easy rolling high numbers every single time ;)

Yeah I can relate to that, I've had to "retire" my dice I got at a charity roll off event as I seemed to master the ability to roll no less than a 4 (these are standard d6 btw). as you say all skill there  ;)

The currency works exactly the same on planetside 2, but I dont know many people that buy anthing other than cool skins for vehicles