• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Yododet

alt

16 posts in this topic

So, i think most of you will know me by now,

i'm Besemoth and play an engineer. I enjoyed that class a lot!  I leveled him completely, finally finished the storyline.

Now i'm looking for another class to level, but i have absolutely no idea which one. 

I tried several of them out in a couple of pvp matches, but none of them actually jumped out...

So i need you guys to give me suggestions, convince me why i should play a certain class and etc... 

i'm waiting! :D

Sincerely, 

Lord of Quaggans

Try necromancer... he can be really weak at first with only 1 minion, but if you build him correctly and use minions or wells, he can steamroll through PvE and PvP.  Lets say you're playing engi and whilst in PvE, you see a horde of 20+ orrian undead in Malachor's leap.... you'd want to evade them to not have the headache of fighting them.  On the other hand, for necro MM, you can just charge in there, spamming marks and minions left right and center... you can even solo champions that don't have aoe attacks... as long as you have staff equipped (for the mark of blood that heals your minions).

Ranger is all about distance, the more distance you have, the greater the damage.  Once the enemy has closed in and your pet is down, you're pretty much done for, unless you have melee/traps.  They make great ranged backup for warriors with their spirits.

Warrior is great as well, I built him as a dps/tank hybrid signet build and he does pretty well in PvE and WvW... you need some sort of backup in WvW though. 

Guardian class is really a mixed bag... the only successful build I have with guardians is the tanky one... I've seen others make zerker/condi hybrids that knock players out quick.

Elementalists can dish out insane amounts of damage if built correctly, and can be great support in WvW with their aoe heals/buffs and crowd control attacks.

Yododet likes this

Thank you ! :D 

i recently tried necro in pvp , but i got facerolled so hard :s i really didn't get the impression it was strong...

Mesmer is great for sPVP. People complain that the Prismatic Understanding build is OP but I prefer to run a phantasm build. It hits like a truck and is extremely effective in 1v1 combat.

Bunker Guardian builds are annoying as hell to fight and one of the few types my Mesmer can't burst down quickly. Guardians also make good medics with their knock backs and force field thing they revive teammates really well and keep them going.

Hambow warriors can be really good if played correctly, though they're pretty easy to take down if played by an unskilled player.

Thieves have a variety of glass cannon builds and perma inviso builds that are powerful and dangerous. Takes a bit of skill to play though.

Rangers are actually really good in melee, especially when defending a capture point because the enemy will have no choice but to step into your traps. Plus you have a lot of evasion and defensive options in melee as well. Takes a decent amount of skill to play though because there are so many things you'll have to do in battle to both stay alive and take your enemy down.

Elementalists can be powerful depending on their build. With runes of Strength and sigils of Battle you can get 25 stacks of might and maintain them practically 100% of the time. There are also some very powerful glass cannon builds that can do amazing burst damage but they're pretty squishy.

Necro is essentially what Ysnar said. There is also a powerful Lich build that can hit for 11k as well. Personally I find necros annoying to fight since they have high survivability with their death shroud.

Ysnar likes this

Ranger in melee? i don't think i have encoutered that before :D i'll certainly try that !

In addition to that: what is the fastest way to level an alt?

Crafting is definitely the fastest method if you have the mats/gold to do it. If you don't you can still level really fast doing dynamic event chains. Using an experience booster you can easily get about 5 levels every 3 hours in many cases. You can find a guide here, I disagree with some parts of it but it is a good start. For 60 to 80 you can do dynamic event chains in southeast Fireheart Rise for fast leveling.

Rangers have a lot of really good melee options. Here is a list of their skills, check out the main hand sword, off hand torch, off hand dagger, and great sword for their best melee weapon skills. Greatsword gets an auto evade on the third attack. Pop Quickening Zephyr with the great sword auto attack and you get 6 seconds of high dps and near invincibility. Also canine pets make really good partners in melee as they have a knockdown, cripple, and other skills such as fear and chill that help keep your enemy under control.

I'm leveling an elementalist now and i'm starting to like it ;) 

Oh and one more thing for elementalists... you have to be quick with your combos.  If you find yourself spamming the '1' button, then you're doing something wrong.

Yeah i know... But engineer is pretty much the same, although you get a little more time for it. 

Ysnar likes this

I'm leveling an elementalist now and i'm starting to like it ;)

What build are you going for?

Oh and one more thing for elementalists... you have to be quick with your combos.  If you find yourself spamming the '1' button, then you're doing something wrong.

Unless you're using the lightning hammer, in which case spamming auto attack is your main strategy as it's very powerful and the third hit has an AOE blind. In PVE you can keep many enemies perma blinded using it if their attack speed is slower than your auto attack chain which is really fast.

Ysnar likes this

Unless you're using the lightning hammer, in which case spamming auto attack is your main strategy as it's very powerful and the third hit has an AOE blind. In PVE you can keep many enemies perma blinded using it if their attack speed is slower than your auto attack chain which is really fast.

Definitely... and for the ice bow, spam the 2nd and 4th attacks and the 3rd attack of the fiery gs should be against a wall for maximum damage.

Sigma081 likes this

For Pve elementalist, i'm running scepter/dagger - lightning hammer. That one i like a lot

For PvP i tried the dagger/dagger build... But it doesn't feel powerfull at all.. :s i was really disappointed in my pvp results...

Elementalist is a complex class to play, especially in PvP. It will probably take some time to get good at it. I recently made a new Ranger for PvP and I'm currently getting my ass handed to me since she's more complicated to play than my Mesmer. I know I'll get better with practice though. :)