• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Variloh

Nintendo lives up to its hype

18 posts in this topic

I just wanted to shed light that it seems IMO the only company whose games are living up to its hype is nintendo. Titanfall didnt, Watch dogs apparently didn't, and there are really no trully intresting games out on Xbox one and PS4 yet (exclusives)(IMO AND YET READ THOSE TWO THINGS). Yet Nintendos latest hyped games: pokemon x/y, Mario Kart 8, fire Emblem Awakeining, mario 3d world, animal crossing new leaf. etc are all living up to there hype. Yet it seems all people can say about nintendo is how big a failure the wii u is.... on  a related topic, are youtubers/streamers partially responsible for this?  http://angryjoeshow.com/ajsa/topic/19454-are-popular-youtubers-and-twitch-personalitys-adding-to-the-hype-problem/

just wanted to post this, i know the hate is imminent and the eventual locking of the feed because of this, i guess rustling some feathers gets people thinking. its what i do.

my show "gamer mind" airs every thursday on www.twitch.tv/variloh 

It's because Nintendo doesn't half ass there games (most of the time) they also don't hype the shit out of them

Variloh likes this

Nintendo frequently comes in criticism in a different direction though; their inability to innovate or at least the length of time it takes them to do so. How can you build hype around the 7/8/9th installment in a franchise? Or to put a more interesting spin on it, why would you? If you don't need to launch a new franchise (and lets be honest about the major gaming publishers each new release is the attempt to start a franchise) you don't need the hype machine pumping all cylinders. You succeed and you get something that will endure, sell on multiple platforms and become part of the gaming lexicon. Nintendo has done this multiple times already and to a certain extent seems like they don't have to do it again.

As for the WiiU, I don't know a single person that owns one but do know quite a few that already have Xbox Ones or PS4s.

Legolas_Katarn likes this

Nintendo frequently comes in criticism in a different direction though; their inability to innovate or at least the length of time it takes them to do so. How can you build hype around the 7/8/9th installment in a franchise? Or to put a more interesting spin on it, why would you? If you don't need to launch a new franchise (and lets be honest about the major gaming publishers each new release is the attempt to start a franchise) you don't need the hype machine pumping all cylinders. You succeed and you get something that will endure, sell on multiple platforms and become part of the gaming lexicon. Nintendo has done this multiple times already and to a certain extent seems like they don't have to do it again.

As for the WiiU, I don't know a single person that owns one but do know quite a few that already have Xbox Ones or PS4s.

There are many games outside of Nintendo that hype the next installment in there series, GTA V comes to mind. As for inovation, IMO Nintendo seems to be the only one who actually is inovating, people tend to use the argument "uh they dont create new IPs, they are just recylcing etc" which is simply not true btw, but i think its more a testament of how good there games actually are, COD games have been comeing out like baked bread and the quality has stedily come down, while mario kart 8 is said to be the best of the franchise as well as pokemon X and Y.

The reason your friends own the other consoles is because of the massive amount of hype that has been put around those consoles, they havent proved anything yet, but they are selling like crazy. I think its very provable that between the Wii U, Xbox one and the PS4 the one with the best games right now is the Wii U. Regarding Hype i have posted a topic on http://angryjoeshow.com/ajsa/topic/19454-are-popular-youtubers-and-twitch-personalitys-adding-to-the-hype-problem/ regarding the role youtubers and twitchers have in the matter. I invite you to come on my show tomorrow to talk about the matter (Gamer Mind: Www.twitch.tv/variloh) 

Notice the dislike there is towards nintendo that this topic didnt last a day on the general discussion and was quickly hidden away while other topics regarding Xbox one and ps4 remain. 

Nintendo has a level of polish other companies simply dont have. Theyve been making games a long time, and even though they have trouble keeping up with the changing console market, the changing game market has never and will never stopped them. They nailed the transition to 3D, they were the first out of the three to do motion control and they outperformed both competitors in that area. Even when handheld gaming came around, they blew away competition and they still do.

I just wanted to shed light that it seems IMO the only company whose games are living up to its hype is nintendo. Titanfall didnt, Watch dogs apparently didn't, and there are really no trully intresting games out on Xbox one and PS4 yet (exclusives)(IMO AND YET READ THOSE TWO THINGS). Yet Nintendos latest hyped games: pokemon x/y, Mario Kart 8, fire Emblem Awakeining, mario 3d world, animal crossing new leaf. etc are all living up to there hype. Yet it seems all people can say about nintendo is how big a failure the wii u is....

I could not agree more. I've purchased almost all of those Nintendo games (still need to get Mario 3D World) and have enjoyed them so much. I regularly play all of them. I honestly think most of the Wii U's failures can be attributed to its marketing; a lot of casual gamers are unaware the system is even a new console and not a peripheral for their existing Wiis even two years after launch.

I own a Wii U and play it regularly, but I do wish there was a dedicated party chat system akin to the 360 (best party chat system on last gen in my opinion). As I've grown older, gaming has become more social for me and the party chat system is the most convenient way to stay in touch with a lot of my friends. If Nintendo were to implement a full party chat system, I think it could quickly become the preferred console between all of my friends and I. It would also be a step in the right direction for Nintendo to embrace the internet just a little more. They already have a far more pleasant community with Miiverse (in my experience only of course) than Xbox Live, the PSN or Steam. I think if they added a party chat system, I may possibly get more use out of it than I did the 360 last gen and that was my preferred console. 

The edge that the other consoles have lies in third party support and better hardware. While the big AAA publishers often fail to innovate with yearly sequels, there's always that hope and potential that the next big one will be worth it. Right now for me it's the Witcher 3. I already have a strong PC so the PS4 and Xbox One don't offer me anything there, but for the console gamers Nintendo doesn't have an answer for it. While I'm always looking forward to Smash Bros and the new Zelda, I also like more mature games at times. To be clear, I'm not knocking Nintendo right now. Majora's Mask is my all-time favorite game. It's just that aside from a few publishers like Ubisoft, there's not much third party support for the Wii U to speak of. To be fair though, the better hardware on the other systems only matters as far as third party titles go. Wind Waker HD is 1080p and 60fps because Nintendo can program for just their own hardware and are comfortable with a cartoony art style.

I disagree with the notion going around lately that since Nintendo doesn't make new IP, the games from them are stagnant or that they lack creativity and innovation as a result. The rest of the industry is more than content with yearly sequels of Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed. Ubisoft recently said that they have no intention of making a game that can't be made into a franchise. EA rushes developers and pushes games like Dragon Age 2 and Battlefield 4 out the door. With the universal acceptance of regenerating health and two weapon limits in almost all modern shooters and the slow corrosion of games through season passes, day one dlc, and exploitative micro-transactions, I find it difficult to be angry with Nintendo for not creating new IP.

Each new game in those IPs are well polished. They're complete, full games with no content cut out. The Zelda's all bear that name in the title, but they're unique and independent in their own identities. Majora's Mask may use many of the same assets from Ocarina of Time, but those two games are worlds apart. The same can be said of most of their IPS. Mario Sunshine is not the same as Galaxy and Wind Waker is not the same as Twilight Princess. If I buy a Nintendo game, I can expect it to be money well spent.

A lot of this quality in the first party games may come from the sort of closed ecosystem Nintendo has fostered by neglecting the third party support, but that's more of a condemnation of the company as a whole and doesn't, or at least shouldn't, reflect the quality of the first party titles Nintendo puts out. I don't think Nintendo can afford to release a buggy dlc ridden mess like many other publishers can year after year and for that I'm somewhat grateful.

By_zeus_beard likes this

hardware performance count not much when it comes to consoles.

most important are very good exklusive games.

already the backwards compatibility to wii is worth a wii u if you ask me - especially for those that do not own a wii.

wii & wii u & virtual console & gamepad pro & nunchuk & wii u gamepad ... thats all  the wii u.

nintendo should start to remaster n64 games for the wii u like they did it with wind waker (gamecube).

the wii u gamepad is pretty awesome when it comes to games that use a huge inventory.

i play watch dogs on PC with the x360 gamepad but i think the wii u version rocks the house when it comes to inventary and world interaction.

and  also nice is that nintendo does near not release (mario golf) DLC or SEASON PASS SH*T!

btw. this image is fanmade and inofficial!

wii_u_special_moonfall_edition_by_sharin

Hi all, would just like to formally invite any of you who would like to be a part of my talk show tonight to come on the show. we will be discussing a topic that IMO is highly intertwined with this one http://angryjoeshow.com/ajsa/topic/19454-are-popular-youtubers-and-twitch-personalitys-adding-to-the-hype-problem/ 

Let me know vias message if youd like to join me on skype,

show is here: www.twitch.tv/variloh and starts at 11 pm gmt + 2

btw. this image is fanmade and inofficial!

wii_u_special_moonfall_edition_by_sharin

No interest in it at all but if the Wii U looked like that, I would buy one without question.

Nintendo lives up to its hype

You don't really see Nintendo or the Nintendo fans create much hype though so it's pretty easy to live up to it. Other companies are actively overhyping, lying about, and/or having people and journalists constantly hyping their games. Nintendo's already has their fan base, there is very little they need to do when it comes to creating hype.

Twisted Chi likes this

You don't really see Nintendo or the Nintendo fans create much hype though so it's pretty easy to live up to it. Other companies are actively overhyping, lying about, and/or having people and journalists constantly hyping their games. Nintendo's already has their fan base, there is very little they need to do when it comes to creating hype.

I think that overhype is part of the problem with most of these other publishers. If Titanfall and Watchdogs weren't hyped to no end people may not have been as disappointed with them.

well, unlike others, nintendo tends to make games to make games. i hate them more and more, but one can't say their games aren't made to be fun. nintendo stay simple and sober with their ads and has a lot of good chars that almost everyone like, and especially that everyone knows. you just can't keep some Watchdogs or Titanfall heroes in your good memories or care about them while Pikachu and Samus Aran took their place in your head and heart by themselves a while ago

Nintendo is the great innovator....especially in recent memory. A couple of examples that I can think of right off the top of my head: The Xbox Kinect is basically is basically the Wii sensor bar, The Playstation move is basically the Wii nunchuck. Hell, Nintendo usually releases their next generation console about a year before the others. Nintendo does everything first! What usually happens is that Nintendo develops new gaming technology, then the other systems try and improve upon them. 

But even if you disagree with those things that I said, let's talk about something that will be difficult to disagree with. Nintendo makes the best quality of games, they make actual games. The big downfall of these other systems is that they strive so hard to make their games life-like. That's partially their fault, but it's more the fault of the current gaming community. Kids these days want to play something that is as close to real life as possible, and I just don't get that. If there is one little grainy look, they act like ruins the entire game. Yet I am playing my Nintendo, which does not have as good of graphics, and I am perfectly happy.

I've been playing video games since about the late 80's, and games were never meant to mimic real life; that was never the purpose. It is supposed to be a fanciful adventure, where you can let your imagination run wild! When I pull out my Wii U, or whatever system that I decide to play, I am looking to get lost in a world and go on a grand adventure. The princess has been captured by the evil warlock, who wants all the power in the world. You have no choice.....you must leave the only home that you've ever known, and set out on an adventure of epic proportions. Along the way you see new lands, meet interesting people, and have great boss fights. Then with your sword in one hand, shield in the other, and your trusty steed, you finally arrive at the villain's castle. You go into that castle, and you kill all the mosters and solve all the puzzles just to reach his lair. Now it's just you and him.......no turning back. You raise your sword, and you shout "This will be our final battle!!!". You engage in the most epic boss fight of your life, and it really drains you. You cannot afford to lose this fight.....this princess is counting on you, the world is counting on you! After a grueling battle, you finally deliver that final blow.....and then he's gone. The dark clouds clear....you can see the sun again, the world is safe, the princess is yours......but is he dead? You may never know.....and that's what keeps us coming back for more.

That right there, is what video games are supposed to be.

That right there, is the stuff of legends.

That right there, is an epic adventure.

And Nintendo reeks with adventure.

Null and By_zeus_beard like this

I think that Nintendo games are hyped enough but they are not in your face as much, every year a new cod is at E3 and your forced to pay for it to keep getting the same multiplayer experience.... Mario Kart 7 lasted nearly 4 years for me, Nintendo are one of them publishers that make games that people will still play in years time.

How many "hard-core" gamers have actually played Metroid Prime, not too many i reckon and I think the hard-core level on this is near elder scrolls.

Variloh and Recoveryanonymous like this

The WiiU still doesn't have a Nintendo game that makes use of the extra screen the way motion controls did with the Wii.

The second screen is cool and all that, but I want it to be used in the game. Not just so you can play without using the TV, or as a simple mini-map or inventory screen.

The Nintendo Land minigames showed some interesting ways of using the screen, including asynchronous multi-player(already somewhat copied by tablet companion apps, i.e. battlefield commander/watch_dogs)

I just hope we can see some really innovative ways to use the gamepad in the future.

Also, LoZ e3 brought a tear to my eyes, so beautiful.

I don'tm know about LoZ@E3... they shouldn't have hired michael bay for the screenplay ;)

As one journalist put it, Microsoft and Sony's press conferences always have CEOs going on stage to try to convince you that their console will "deliver realistic next gen experience that our customers deserve." 

Nintendo on the other hand is a bunch of passionate Japanese people talking about the game they're making/made. They don't try to seduce you with creepy marketing tactics and console exclusive features for a multi-platform game.

I've found a decent use for the Wii U gamepad which is sitting on the toilet and still being in game, a real lifesaver.

Nintendo shouldn't listen to gamers though, we are complainers and most generally don't know what they want and if they get it then they'll find something else to moan about. Great  gameplay on Nintendo games but the graphics apparently suck or it's the other way around, Nintendo can't win but their E3 conference really shut a lot of people up. Splatoon was a really awesome way to make a change to FPS games which are now all either zombie or war time stuff, looks really good.

Some people say the reason for this is because Nintendo doesn't hype their games much. But I don't know, the hype around the next Smash Bros. is pretty big... And nobody can deny that people were hyped for the Zelda reveal at E3.

The reason why Nintendo games pretty much always deliver is simple: They show you the game. They don't show you CGI trailers or things that won't be in the game. They almost showed Zelda at the E3 2013 but they waited because it was still too early. And when they show Gameplay, then they make no false promises. So if the game is "only decent", then people won't get too hyped. And when the game is amazing, then people get hyped and are satisfied in the end ~

By_zeus_beard likes this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0