• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Stanley Mgee

What ever happened to the good old days?

45 posts in this topic

is it just me who thinks that games have deterioated over the last couple of years? i mean i know theres games like battlefield and dota that are still good but i mean the era of the ps2. where there were so many good games like nightfire, timesplitters 2 , battlefront, san andreas, driver. whereas now it seems to be the exception that a game lives up to expectation and it is rare for me to play a game more than 20 hours?. maybe its just cos im older now so games seem more crappy

Hmmm... nope. Some new games are bad, some old games are bad. You just have to look in the right places

7thFrost and Legolas_Katarn like this

Yes the gaming industry has dwindled to mere shit in my opinion. I could care less about good graphics. I want to play a game more than 5-10 hours with no replay value whatsoever!

Antonio507 likes this

What genre are we talking?

GTA V is a proof that the industry is still doing good games...

You know what? stop b1tching around and search here are plenty of good games. For example have you heard Forced? no you don't...I played it with my friend 4 players co-op and we had a blast..Borderlands 2 is a good game..There are plenty of those just look on the right place and make a GOOD research before you buy anything!

Darvins and Monojo like this

I remember when i played Planescape Torment. I was proud when i end that game, for me it was the best rpg and i though like you "i guess i will never played RPG like that again" but than Dragon Age appeared, Mass Effect, Fallout 3 and New Vegas . There are plenty of good games and plenty of bad the point is to search the good ones  thats why we are here :)

Wolfdyne likes this

is it just me who thinks that games have deterioated over the last couple of years? i mean i know theres games like battlefield and dota that are still good but i mean the era of the ps2. where there were so many good games like nightfire, timesplitters 2 , battlefront, san andreas, driver. whereas now it seems to be the exception that a game lives up to expectation and it is rare for me to play a game more than 20 hours?. maybe its just cos im older now so games seem more crappy

Yes the gaming industry has dwindled to mere shit in my opinion. I could care less about good graphics. I want to play a game more than 5-10 hours with no replay value whatsoever!

These two points are why I love Nintendo's handheld consoles. Lots of games that go up to 50 hours easily. To me that's a lot more value than having some dreamy looking game with just a few hours of gametime.

I have spent many hundreds of hours in some games, but they are mainly multiplayer ones. That is not saying that there are no good long term single player games, but merely that i do not really play them anymore

Honestly, for single player games.. I prefer < 20 hours.  For example, Last of Us took maybe 12~14 hours to finish and didn't regret for purchasing it.  It all depends on value of the experience.  Let say this game adds additonal 15 hours by back-tracking or making the map bigger will lower my entertainment experience.  Also, people have too many back-log games.. I have 50 or so..that I haven't even played it yet.

many games became shit after merges in companies that made them, or when the ppl that made them went someplace else. wonderful examples are:

Lineage II (team that made it went to make Tera, while the company that produced it raped it totally)

Mass Effect (the first game had another company besides bioware, and the game was so innovative - sadly all went to hell with the second game, which was not all that bad but did not have the feel of the first. the entire armor and weapon system got changed. but the third one is a good online past-time.... and the worst game to have ME in its name)

The Elder Scrolls (never played arena, but did play daggerfall - the true honest one and only rpg of the elder scrolls I have ever played. you roll the stats, you have skills like running, climbing and critical striking. well it has all that the other games lack. morrowind, oblivion, skyrim all could use the same system with the new graphics and movement engine and they would become real rpgs)

there are other games, but these are a few examples

There are actually many great games nowadays. It's just that you aren't looking very hard.

Games too easy? There's still Dark Souls.

Games too short? There's Skyrim for that.

Games don't focus on story enough? Just look at The Witcher or The Walking Dead. Those should scratch that itch.

Then there are indie games, which scratch EVERY itch that a lot of AAA titles don't (albeit normally one per game).

Now stop looking at COD and say that the game industry is ruined when it very much isn't!

Legolas_Katarn and Wolfdyne like this

I agree, the "good old days" were good, but if you look hard enough today, you can find some gems. And really, the reason there is so much crap today is because gaming is a lot more popular than it was, and every little game company is willing to flood the market with said crap to make a quick buck.

And yeah, I love a lot of hours in a game and replay value, but really its about how much value it can give to me. I remember when I played Portal, thinking it's just a fun little mind trippy game, but it blew me away. Few hours and very minimal story telling told a great story and had great gameplay and characters. The freaking cube was on the characters list, and the game was still awesome for its size. Pure compact value. :)

There are actually many great games nowadays. It's just that you aren't looking very hard.

Games too easy? There's still Dark Souls.

Games too short? There's Skyrim for that.

Games don't focus on story enough? Just look at The Witcher or The Walking Dead. Those should scratch that itch.

Then there are indie games, which scratch EVERY itch that a lot of AAA titles don't (albeit normally one per game).

Now stop looking at COD and say that the game industry is ruined when it very much isn't!

Well said, Wolf!

It's definitely because you're older... we have so many good games now it's practically impossible to play them all... let me list a few just from 2013:
Bioshock infinite, DmC: Devil May Cry, the Assassins Creed games, The Stanley Parable, Brothers: A tale of two sons, Arma III, Dust: An Elysian Tail, Planetside 2

Also, South Park stick of truth will be coming in december and it will be legendary!

People talk about the "good old days"... but as far as I recall, back in the good old days we didn't have loads of good games, instead we spent our time playing one game only. Either that'd be CS, DOTA, WoW, Diablo II or some other game you were obsessed about. Now we are spoiled with so many games we barely invest more than 2 hours into one game at a time.

My biggest problem with games these days is that it can be hard for me to get this "warm fuzzy" feeling out of games, that some old SNES games gave me. I miss that. But I think this has to do with getting older and looking at things a bit different.

I'm kind of happy that we have such a wide range of genres and games today. Only downside is, that it "muddies the waters" a bit. But if you look hard enough, there is plenty of good stuff to be found.

Take Valdis Story: Abyssal City for example. That is a game I found by accident wich gives me this "warm fuzzy" feeling I was talking about.

Legolas_Katarn likes this

Nope,you just grow older and your perspective changes,that's all

Although the only shitty thing nowadays is the DLC practice

"The good old days" are an illusion, there have been plenty of shit games 10 or 20 years ago, but if you compare the best titles from back in your childhood or  your teens with some of the more uninspired ones today, of course it will seem like that.

When I think to when I first played Gothic, it seems like the greatest damn game ever, but looking objectively at it it had plenty of problems.

It's nostalgia, no winning against that.

The gaming scene is doing just fine, with plenty of great games coming out all the time. Just look at 2014, lots of great new IPs coming our way.

There's a reason why there's an influx of shorter, polished-to-hell AAA-titles in the recent years. Gaming has become mainstream, and the new types of gamers (beginners, casuals, parents etc) have to be accommodated. I'm personally quite glad that most newer titles tend to be shorter than older games, as a kid and student I had all the time in the world to sink my teeth into a game, nowadays that's already getting harder because I often lack the time for it (and I'm a university student with lots more free time than your average worker).

That doesn't mean that great games of epic length aren't being made anymore, you just got to know where to look.

PS: I feel like I had this rant a couple of days ago already, but I don't remember anymore with every topic getting a new thread every two hours...

My biggest problem with games these days is that it can be hard for me to get this "warm fuzzy" feeling out of games, that some old SNES games gave me. I miss that. But I think this has to do with getting older and looking at things a bit different.

It's called nostalgia :P

Legolas_Katarn likes this

I'll quote myself from a few days ago

I'll go with the opinion of Johnny Maloney on the Blistered Thumbs Podcast which I believe was something like, "We're in a gaming renaissance that most gamers refuse to see." There are so many great games coming out, so many interesting things happening with indie devs and so much support for them recently with things like crowd funding and companies like Sony giving their support. It's easier than it ever has been to find opinions and reviews of games new and old. There are constant deals and bundle promotions with games. This is easily the best time to be a gamer and the only people who would think otherwise are blinded by nostalgia and looking at the past in rose colored glasses, focused on nothing but AAA games, or just aren't really looking for anything good.

Also, South Park stick of truth will be coming in december and it will be legendary!

It was delayed

Take Valdis Story: Abyssal City for example. That is a game I found by accident wich gives me this "warm fuzzy" feeling I was talking about.

A great example

Good o' days are gone. Nothing to do about it. Nostalgia is something we are a use to but if you really go back. Some games were crap.

Conker's Bad Fur Day I hold so well in my childhood but I played it not to long ago and god the controls were uggh and the camera was worst. 

Same can be said about the new sonics and old one. Just cuz it's not the same people tend to hate it even though in the old sonic all you do is press right and jump, and sometimes even platform.

Other example is Pokemon lots of people going on how the new pokemon are so unoriginal like the orginals, yet if you look at the orginal there was a flaming horse, slime with a face , a mouse and some birds lol .

We have to leave the old days behind and enjoy whats in front of us cuz when we get older these games we have in front will fuel our nostalgia

I dont have anything special to add because most of it is already said. Just find your gems at this few years and probably ten years later you will go where are the good old days like 10 years ago.

Its just very hard to find games that you will truly love and remember escpecially the more games you play and older you get, more your standards rise. For example i truly love gothic 1 and 2 what came out 2001 and 2002 and havent had anything great like it since the witcher series which came out 2007 and 2011.

Also while your saying where are the good old days, then do some research and you will surely find some old gems that you missed at the time.

In terms of RTS games, I would agree with you. I believe that RTS as a whole is sadly dying, with the exception of Starcraft 2, Company of Heroes 2, and the Total War series. Most RTS games these days have turned into Tower Defense or RPG-style games. For the most part, the good old days of base-building are gone. Base-building has been mostly taken out in favor of RPG elements such as leveling up and skill trees. If anything, these new features should be combined instead of one replacing the other. The newest Age of Empires (AOE Online) was a failure, and the latest Command and Conquer (C&C Generals 2) was recently cancelled. These two RTS collections used to be the best in the genre, and now they are barely making any mark on the industry. I do miss the good old days of building a base then creating a force to crush my enemy and their base.

Puntosmx likes this

In terms of RTS games, I would agree with you. I believe that RTS as a whole is sadly dying, with the exception of Starcraft 2, Company of Heroes 2, and the Total War series. Most RTS games these days have turned into Tower Defense or RPG-style games. For the most part, the good old days of base-building are gone. Base-building has been mostly taken out in favor of RPG elements such as leveling up and skill trees. If anything, these new features should be combined instead of one replacing the other. The newest Age of Empires (AOE Online) was a failure, and the latest Command and Conquer (C&C Generals 2) was recently cancelled. These two RTS collections used to be the best in the genre, and now they are barely making any mark on the industry. I do miss the good old days of building a base then creating a force to crush my enemy and their base.

Yeah, to be honest, I was really sad to see World of Warcraft come up, because I was into the RTS and Warcraft was my fix. Now no more RTS warcraft.

As someone who's been PC gaming since 1988, I'm really not seeing it. There are some fantastic games coming out right now.

There's a huge bias when you look back at all the classic, bygone games of yesterday in books, movies, film... whatever. 

You tend to remember the 10% or so of good and great games, but forget the 90% myrad of games that were mediocre, or downright stank up the joint. 

Yeah, to be honest, I was really sad to see World of Warcraft come up, because I was into the RTS and Warcraft was my fix. Now no more RTS warcraft.

I concur. It's nice to see that WoW did really well and all... But I don't find MMOs all that fun. I've had hopes for WC4 for a long time, but those were shattered. It's become fairly obvious that it won't happen. 3:

Good ol' times? They never went away!!!

IF YOU BUY OUR DLC, YOU'LL GET THE OLD TIMES BACK!!!

OBEY CORPORATE!!!

6593663930a0aab9bfe651558e41908013579697