• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

WITHASTICK

Dragon Ball Xenoverse

28 posts in this topic

Dragon Ball Xenoverse is the fifteenth Dragon Ball game installment, and the first Dragon Ball on Next Gen. As always players will battle through the iconic series, along with iconic characters. To showcase this, we see the most iconic fight of all Goku vs. Vegeta. Just as the two are about to strike one another, a Unknown Fighter stops the fight. Who is he? Why does he look like Gohan? Why does he have Piccolo's cape? Why does he have Trunk's Capsule Corp. jacket? Whats with the scouter? For the first time not only will we relive the Dragon Ball Z series history, but through this new Unknown Fighter we'll change Dragon Ball Z's history by intervening.

New Generation Dragon Ball - Enjoy your favorite manga on Playstation 4 and Xbox One for the first time ever! Also available on Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.

Improved Gameplay - Fast paced and powerful battles await to be discovered, including real-time transformation!

Strong Immersion - Inspired from one of the most famous series ever created.

New World Setup - A clock that once had stopped will start to tick again in an enigmatic and futuristic city!

Original Battle - Take part in epic fights against ferocious enemies such as Vegeta, Frieza, Cell and much more!

Unknown Fighter - Look at him with his uniform, cape and scouter... who is he?

So I'm a Dragon Ball fan by heart. I loved the original Kid Goku Dragon Ball series. Was there with those clutch moments during Dragon Ball Z. And much like others hated everything about Dragon Ball GT. When it came to the Dragon Ball games, I loved the Budokai series. I think they were perfect. I did however step away from the recent Dragon Ball games cause the fights just seem more like set pieces. Like you were there to act and if you didn't do it right you basically didn't get to eat that week. I only hope Xenoverse can get that Budokai love back, but that's a personal thought. Now when Akira Toriyama came back and did the first cannon Dragon Ball Z movie Battle of Gods, I quickly got myself a Japanese copy. So with that said, Akira said he was open to doing one last Dragon Ball Z series and with how Battle of Gods ends he could possibly do just that. There has been little heard since than about this project being moved forward, but I think one of our first clue comes in the form of Xenoverse and the Unknown Warrior. Below are some points across the Dragon Ball Z universe to help theorize what this all means, specially around the Unknown Warrior.

new_header_thumb.jpg

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods - Without going into much spoilers, we learn Beerus is a God of Destruction. Cause of Goku's heroics he has set things off balance. Goku gains Super Saiyan God, Beerus and him fight. Now when Goku goes Super Saiyan God his hair turns red, much like this Unknown Fighter's hair.

Dragon Ball GT - Cause of Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods, GT never happens. Thank you Akira Toriyama!

Unknown Fighter or Future Warrior? - Now with what little screens and quotes we know very little. So lets bring out the few points we have. One, they stress he is a brand new character. Two, He is seen talking to Future Trunks and also wearing Future Trunk's jacket. Three, his code name went from Unknown Fighter to Future Warrior. Four, he can use both Special Beam Cannon and Kamehameha.

Future Again - Dragon Ball Z has stumbled into time traveling before with the Cell Saga and Future Trunks. Plus, Trunks and Future Trunks are consider to different characters just like Gohan and Future Gohan are. Since the Future is ever changing for them, they too character wise are ever changing.

My Theory I think the Unkown Fighter or Future Warrior is Future Gohan. Here is why:

• He looks just like adult Gohan
  • He knows both Special Beam Cannon and Kamehameha, both from two father figures in Gohan's life.
  • He has Piccolo's cape, Piccolo being a second father to him.
  • He seems to be friends with Future Trunks, and in the Future Trunk story with the Android Saga we know they're like brothers.
  • He was train to stay in free Saiyan form, much like Goku can without expelling energy.
  • We know there was, still, and will be a Future Gohan who is a separate character of his own.

That is just my thoughts on the Unknown Fighter or Future Warrior, and who he could be. I know one point against me is that they stress he is a brand new character. But he looks so much like Gohan and all my points just help my case. I am open to a brand new character, we will see.

Didnt Gohan die in future Trunks's future though?

Love Dragon ball and though i hate to say it................i loved Dragon ball GT too (we got to see my fave char reach super saiyan 4)

Defo looking foward to this game although there is only soo many times you can play through the same fights with just better mechanics.

HeroEightyTwo and EarthwormBen like this

I have been a huge dragon ball fan all my life. I first watched DBZ as a kid, and I remember even getting into fist fights with my sisters because they wanted to watch their show instead of the weekly installment of DBZ. Later on when I was about 12 I went back and watched about ten episodes of DragonBall, but I ended up stopping. To this day I consider watching the rest of it.

My biggest concern with the game is how horrible the last one was. Not only did the party system suck, and not only did the characters lack (I mean, come on, you couldn't ascend, you had to start as Super Sayian whoever!), but there was such a HUGE lack of story. Rarely were there cut scenes, and if an outsider who never heard of DBZ played the game, he'd be so confused, as opposed to the original games like Budokai (if my memory serves me right) where it actually gave a narrative and had great cutscenes.

Biggest lackluster moment in gaming history was when you realized you had to do a seperate mission to fight freiza as starting out as Super Sayian, instead of actually ascending there and then and feeling like a balls to the wall badass.

If this game at least has 1v1 combat instead of a party system, and follows older DBZ games as a model, and features an actual narrative story, I will put my money down right away/ Heck, I might even buy a Super Sayain God edition if it existed. I love DBZ to death, and this game could have amazing potential if they did their job right. 

I wouldn't mind a party system existed, but i'd truly prefer some spectacular KOTH style multiplayer,  because the whole free roam map doesn't cut it for me. The only reason I finished the last game was because I got it on my Vita for a road trip.

I will say one thing positive so far. The last game had terrible player models that reminded me of plastic. This one, however, has sort of a anime look and feel to it so far.

Either way, excited as hell, but don't wanna get my hopes up!

If this game at least has 1v1 combat instead of a party system, and follows older DBZ games as a model, and features an actual narrative story, I will put my money down right away/ Heck, I might even buy a Super Sayain God edition if it existed. I love DBZ to death, and this game could have amazing potential if they did their job right. 

I wouldn't mind a party system existed, but i'd truly prefer some spectacular KOTH style multiplayer,  because the whole free roam map doesn't cut it for me. The only reason I finished the last game was because I got it on my Vita for a road trip.

I will say one thing positive so far. The last game had terrible player models that reminded me of plastic. This one, however, has sort of a anime look and feel to it so far.

Either way, excited as hell, but don't wanna get my hopes up!

I agree with this the most. Budokai series to me where the better if not the best of the Dragon Ball Z games. I stopped playing much after that cause I noticed this trend with future installments going for this, set piece moments. "Oh, hey guys! You can fight great Ape Vegeta this time! But no 3D fighting like our pass games. Nope just dodge and punch when its timing."

If they can go back to the old formula, that would be a step up. Than from there just expand. I also think I am more excited to know if this new Unknown Warrior might carry over to the already "maybe gonna happen" New Dragon Ball Z series. Who knows, I wont buy until I see gameplay and see how the fighting is.

I hadn't even considered it hinting at a new Dragon Ball Z series. That reminds me, I want to rewatch all the dragon ball Z episodes and relive my childhood a bit.

To me it seems like this game is going to be a bit more about an alternate timeline sort of scenario, hence why he interrupted an early DBZ fight. This isn't what I was hoping for. I really wanted to see a continuation from Battle of Z (which i've never seen due to it's lack of dub. Hate vegeta's voice in the sub) 

It's obvious either way that the creator of DBZ wants it to succeed. I mean, he drew SSJ4 concept that was used in GT, and obviously there is a new movie out.

My biggest question is this. The sales keep dropping and dropping and dropping, yet, they are still being funded to make frequent Dragon Ball games. Are they truly trying their best and simply failing? I mean come on, the combat system in the previous game was button mashing, no combos.

As far as fighters go in general, the previous DBZ had one poor element that had potential. It's card system that you could attach to individual people. Fighting games should start adding the ability to change things about the character's fighting. As you  play online, I feel you should unlock new weapons to use, new skins, new combos (you could have like a combo slot of 20 and you can pick and choose which ones you want to use for a match), and so on. Mortal Kombat X has something like this with each character having 3 fighting styles to choose from, that way even when Sub Zero might fight Sub Zero, both would have different combos and techniques. Still, there should exist unlockables that change play style.

That's just my two cents. It's nice to see other people who love DBZ as much as I do!

That's just my two cents. It's nice to see other people who love DBZ as much as I do!

Without a doubt! But I hear you out on the whole fighting mechanics being alot of button mashing. Even in Budokai you could say it suffer from that. But not as much as the last few installments I have seen. Like I said if they want people to be somewhat happy I say try doing Budokai style of fighting but update. No more set pieces where we feel like actors in a movie. It's not fun in Dragon Ball Z, leave that stuff for a David Cage game like Heavy Rain. When I am playing Dragon Ball I am a fan, I want to do fan things. I want to have a World Tournament where I could fight Cell, Broly, Kid Buu, Ultimate Gohan, Mr. Satan, and so on. I want to time out the Kamehameha wave, not wait for when I have to do it cause the game told me too.

I remember in one of the Budokai's when your SSJ2 Gohan fighting Perfect Cell for the last time, you can beat him up, kai blast him, kick him doesn't matter. You still get the same ending. But if you finished him with the Father Son Kamehameha Wave it would give you a bonus level. See that's fine let us play Dragon Ball Z on our own way. Don't force us to do Father Son Kamehameha Wave and mashing the A button cause "its so real!"

In the end I love Dragon Ball Z, like I said before I would be interested to see if this character can be carried over to the "maybe happening" new series for Dragon Ball Z. But it might not, it might be like you said just a character just for this one game. Which if that's the case fine by me, its just another character in the Dragon Ball Z lore. Might not be cannon lore but lore nonetheless.

I will say Vegeta is my favorite Dragon Ball Z character! He never gets much credit for the shit he does, until Kid Buu shows up.

Shadow Paladin likes this

Oh, I don't feel it is just one character. I am sure it is a new story none the less, my point was I doubt it is a continuation of the story, and instead it is a new story where time travelers are altering the past for whatever reason, since that guy went back to the past when goku and vegeta fought, not Goku as a SSJ God.

I'm kind of fearful for a new series. In the original DBZ, there was a lot of character development going on, seeing each character get stronger and achieve a new level of super sayian. To be honest, I wasn't the biggest fan of the whole "fushion" characters, but I know others loved them. However, if there was a new series, there wouldn't be as much character development. Goku is a Sayian God, there isn't new levels of ability for him to reach really, and if this guy really is Gohan, i'd be a bit annoyed that he somehow skipped SSJ3 and went straight to super sayian god with such ease basically.

Personally I hated how DB:GT played out, but for one critical reason: Goten. I was really, really hoping way back however long ago it was that when DBZ was done and over with, a new series would follow Goten. Obviously his dad would be dead by now, and his older brother would be just a bit older. Basically, it'd be interesting to see how Gohan and Goten, when older, would sort of react to having to pick up Goku's role as defender of earth and the weak. Goten would be the main protagnist, alongside everyone else who would be alive at the time. There would be some actual character development here because Goten neveer achieved SSJ3 by himself, only as Gotenks.

Either way, DB:GT crushed this dream.

I hope DBZ comes to netflix soon. I haven't watched the show in years and I am almost positive if I watched it again there'd be things I didn't remember or notice before.

I'm kind of fearful for a new series. In the original DBZ, there was a lot of character development going on, seeing each character get stronger and achieve a new level of super sayian. To be honest, I wasn't the biggest fan of the whole "fushion" characters, but I know others loved them. However, if there was a new series, there wouldn't be as much character development. Goku is a Sayian God, there isn't new levels of ability for him to reach really, and if this guy really is Gohan, i'd be a bit annoyed that he somehow skipped SSJ3 and went straight to super sayian god with such ease basically.

[spoilerS] Yes Super Saiyan God is the final Saiyan form now in cannon.But at the end of Battle of Gods, we find out that Beerus was only using 70% of his power while Goku gave it his all, Beerus beat him. Beerus is one of twelve other Gods of Destruction, each God looking after their own universe. Beerus, Goku and the other live in the Seventh Universe. Beerus friend Whis is revealed to be his master, and is far more stronger. He knocks Beerus out to give Goku and his friends time to train. Whis tells them that even if they beat Beerus the other Gods will come for them. They are far more powerful than Beerus. One of the things Goku hates is how to get Super Saiyan God. You need six Saiyans to all hold hands and give their powers to one. Goku expresses he hates that and wants to try to be able to go into it without needing help. Vegeta expresses that next time Beerus comes, Vegeta will god God form and fight him and Goku says alright. I think there is some development to be had there, this is just some development between 4 characters. But others are in the movie to set some grounds. Like Gohan and his wife trying to accept they are going to be parents and don't know how to handle it. I would be interested to see a new series.

Personally I hated how DB:GT played out, but for one critical reason: Goten. I was really, really hoping way back however long ago it was that when DBZ was done and over with, a new series would follow Goten. Obviously his dad would be dead by now, and his older brother would be just a bit older. Basically, it'd be interesting to see how Gohan and Goten, when older, would sort of react to having to pick up Goku's role as defender of earth and the weak. Goten would be the main protagnist, alongside everyone else who would be alive at the time. There would be some actual character development here because Goten neveer achieved SSJ3 by himself, only as Gotenks.

Either way, DB:GT crushed this dream.

Dragon Ball GT, man I can't put to words how overly disappointed I was with that series. Not only was Gohan and Gotenks down played. For half the series Vegeta was down played. For the whole series Trunks and Pan were just copies of Bulma and Yamacha in a way. I never liked Dragon Ball GT, not even the whole Super Saiyan 4 look.

Just enjoyed myself an ice, cold sigh of relief.

You are right, there is a lot of character development to be had there. It is going to be quite interesting to see how goku and friends achieve the level of power they need to achieve SSJ God alone.

(minuscule spoilers, if any)

So, this leads me ot a new theory I have about the upcoming game. I am guessing that that is in fact Gohan and he, in the future, was given SSJ God powers by the Sayians because they haven't been able to achieve it alone. Gohan knows that defeat is inevitable, because the god of death has full plans to kill him now, so instead he decides to go back in time to train all the sayians early on so that by the time the events transpire in the future, their power levels are three times higher than before.

So, either (assuming this theory is correct) you play through the entire story like normal, up until you play as gohan going back in time, and then you play an alternate (but canon) timeline where they are training to become strong enough to take on Beesu and the rest of the gods of death. This would be awesome!

or...

They strip it down to complete garbage, have you play like normal only until the goku-vegeta fight and then Gohan interrupts and you play the alternate timeline right away with even more button mashing than before (every single attack is all grouped into one button and your guy chooses which attack he wants to do xD)

Oh, and, I hated SSJ4. They tried to connect with the whole ape look with it, considering the Sayians can transform into apes, but it made absolutely no sense to me. They go from blonde hair to monkey in one ascension. 

And, a little note I forgot to put in. It is possible for there to be a SSJ4, SSJ5, SSJ2073 in the new DBZ series if there is one. Goku needed the sayians help to achieve SSJ God, and it's very possible that in order fro him to do it alone, he will need to achieve other super sayian ranks. He obviously hasn't achieved him yet, and this could be an explanation as to why he isn't powerful enough to kill beesu, but he can be in time.

And, a little note I forgot to put in. It is possible for there to be a SSJ4, SSJ5, SSJ2073 in the new DBZ series if there is one. Goku needed the sayians help to achieve SSJ God, and it's very possible that in order fro him to do it alone, he will need to achieve other super sayian ranks. He obviously hasn't achieved him yet, and this could be an explanation as to why he isn't powerful enough to kill beesu, but he can be in time.

If a new series of Dragon Ball Z does happen Akira Toriyama wont let there be a SSJ 4- whatever number there is now. Akira Toriyama had little to nothing to do with GT and when asked about SSJ4 he express great hate for it. After Battle of Gods Akira Toriyama has said the only cannon SSJ forms are SSJ 1, SSJ 2, SSJ 3, and now SSJ God which is the final/highest form. Another reason why GT got written out by Battle of Gods.

Akira also came out with a new manga series after Battle of Gods. This new manga series was shortly confirmed after by him to tie in with Dragon Ball Z. The manga is called Jaco the Galactic Patrolman. Its cute and funny, and you get that vibe of "Oh man this is like Dragon Ball!" I recommend a look at it.

and if this guy really is Gohan, i'd be a bit annoyed that he somehow skipped SSJ3 and went straight to super sayian god with such ease basically.

I was under the impression that only purebloods could become SSJG.

I must be the only one that liked SSJ4 (especially Broly)

I think ssj4 was a little much but that could of been the very awkward way it was implemented, with the goku growing up for a transformation, magical clothes changing (sorta explainable for fusion). I think calling a primal super saiyan transformation or something along them lines would of been better similar to the ascended saiyan

I was under the impression that only purebloods could become SSJG.

Nope, Shenron tells Goku and others that you have to be a pure-hearted Sayians. Oddly Vegeta counts as one.

So, out of curiosity, was I the only one as a kid who loved the hell out of collecting DBZ action figures?

I found a few in a box in my basement today and gave them to my niece and nephew, who have never even heard of DBZ, but hey, t least they enjoy fighting with them, haha.

So, out of curiosity, was I the only one as a kid who loved the hell out of collecting DBZ action figures?

I found a few in a box in my basement today and gave them to my niece and nephew, who have never even heard of DBZ, but hey, t least they enjoy fighting with them, haha.

Nah, your not alone on that. I myself have DBZ action figures. I still got them infact, don't know what I am gonna do with them. That's a sad reality I am that old now where I look at them and say "Man... someone else can do you better justice."

Nope, Shenron tells Goku and others that you have to be a pure-hearted Sayians. Oddly Vegeta counts as one.

Ah. Well in all fairness, I haven't watched BoG yet. I'm still waiting for an English version.

I wouldn't say that I collect them, persay. I've a few lying around here ... Somewhere.

Guy I used to be friends with, and haven't seen in a long time, beat me to the black-haired error Majin Vegeta. I do remember that much.

Rejoice! Akira finally got the licensing for english dub complete and it's in the works!

Ah. Well in all fairness, I haven't watched BoG yet. I'm still waiting for an English version.

It's alright man, I woulod have waited for English Dub as well. But... I don't know why but I love watching a anime with Japanese voice actors with Subs.

Withastick... surely you jest. Vegeta's Japanese voice actor was horrendous after watching english dub of DBZ my whole life.

Withastick... surely you jest. Vegeta's Japanese voice actor was horrendous after watching english dub of DBZ my whole life.

We do not speak of Vegeta's Japanese voice actor.. only of his English voice actor do we know Vegeta's wrath.

Plus Goku's Japanese voice actor doesn't help, the man has to be in his late 30's early 40's at the end of Buu Saga and still sounds like a child.