• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Raxyn

Steam Summer Sale Rigged?!?

23 posts in this topic

Ok, so I just read an article that...intest me.

http://tmi.kotaku.com/the-community-broke-the-steam-sale-so-valve-changed-th-1595087682?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

It's from Kotaku, so take it as you will, but take a look see and comment on what you think.

What do I think? Well I personally think that the thing was rigged in some way but not by Valve, with Reddit making sense in how it was taking the lead on who would win. Now I don't think for sure it's all Reddit's doing, but it jus seems so weird really. On the first day, it all looked rather normal and I would have honestly said that the winners where the team that was in the morning on that side of the world, after the first day though, I have no idea why those teams won.

I spent a loooooooot of money trying to win for my team on the first day. Now I just wish I had waited till it was obvious that my team was going to win (Green Team) so I could try for the prize. Well, that's not gong to happen now, but I still feel pretty cheated if the system was broken from the start ya know?

So again, what are your thoughts?

Its  a waste of time farming Points/Spending Money for these sort of  games just to get some free games you'll only get like 1% to win these sort of things out of Millions of people trying to anticipate in same time. Two days ago my Blue Team went over a million points like crazy it was obvious something is wrong.

CookieArcher and Raxyn like this

I honestly don't like the competition, You craft a hard earned badge and what do you get? 1 point. Of course if you vote for games you get cards! I'm level f**king 4 so what do I do? Buy more games and hope you don't get repeat cards or go on the marketplace, buy more 10¢ cards, and watch your steam wallet slowly drain. So I say screw all of it and just buy cheap games.

Glaice and Raxyn like this

Doesn't spending money trying to get free games defeat the freeness of those games?

I mean if you're going to spend a lot of money to try and when a free game or two why not just buy the game?

Doesn't really matter to me. The only ones who are going to be crafting badges to get their team to win are people with a lot of money to waste anyway. If they weren't throwing their money away at this, it would just be at something else.

I enjoy the competition because it gets me more money (or at least it did at first summer cards now sell at a price where you just break even now). Like everything else involving cards anyone wasting their money crafting badges is just making me, Steam, and (for game badges) the developer money and I'm always going to be ok with that.

Dyzzles and Raxyn like this

I think, there might just be a correlation between liking the color red and being a passionate gamer...

Raxyn likes this

People who are "spending lots of money" to help their team win are the same morons who, overnight, went from playing and enjoying TF2 to idling for hats and bitching about they had to buy X New Release to get the special edition TF2 items that came with it.

This summer game is completely optional and affects nothing. There are what, 3 million users logged into Steam at any given time? Divided 5 ways, that's 600,000 per team. And 30, or rather 0.005%, will get free games if their team wins. Just use some common sense instead of...

Wait, this is a Kotaku article, what am I doing.

If you go to the Steam Summer Adventure 2014 portion of Steam's forum, you'll see thread after thread expressing utmost certainty that the whole thing's been rigged.

[...]

Millions of Steam users cried out in terror...

[...]

Countless threads, especially on Steam and Reddit, raged over whether or not the whole thing was rigged...

[...]

I've reached out to Steam-powered studio and still received no response.

[...]

It adds up over time, but not to, like, millions or anything.

[...]

(I've attempted to contact DayZ_slayer as well, and am waiting on a response)

That last bit is my favorite. Even random redditors don't give Kotaku writers the time of day.

Raxyn likes this

Well I participated in the sale's game just because I thought it would help me raise my level on Steam. *shrugs* Otherwise I could have lived with or without it ya know? Then I figured out the cards they have won't raise your level, so I just stopped.

kotaku... nope, unless somebody else reports on this, I do not care. 

I don't know what you guys are talking about, the game is awesome. I made $10 selling cards. 

I don't know what you guys are talking about, the game is awesome. I made $10 selling cards. 

Lucky you, and I've made some money that I promptly used on the sale as well. But what I'm talking about and all of us are talking about are how the game is pretty much rigged to be a money sink.

That was the joke...

Without people sinking money into crafting I wouldn't have made as much money selling cards. At the end of the day, what people do with their money is their business. No one is forced to participate if they don't want to. 

kotaku... nope, unless somebody else reports on this, I do not care. 

Polygon also wrote an article about this.

I don't give a damn about the metagame. I just want Watch Dogs at 33% off.

Cap0bvious and Gone too like this

There's a rather extensive thread about this already... Well kind of about this even though it's about the sale in general. Anyway the only winner in this competition is Valve with the trading cuts from the hyper heightened trading. Sadly the best sale activities ever(2011 kicked ass) were exploited by the trading communites and we've never had decent alternatives since then.

ONTOPIC:

i dont care about   summer card winning chances (30 each team ?! -.- who cares)

OFFTOPIC:

i loaded my paypal account with 100€ and buy a hand full games (GOTY or COMPLETE PACK) on steam and after release maybe also hardline on origin.

what i definitly NOT BUY are   games with 100 overpriced DLCs and/or overpriced  season passes.

hopefully EA dont mess up hardline in terms of "pricing".

nintendo never did any  DLC/season pass bull**** to their own games or games on their platform.

just an example:

i was looking for payday 2 - but it has so many "game relevant" DLCs and upcoming DLCs that i wont buy it yet - even not in steam summer sale for less them 10€.

FINALLY!!!! WATCH DOGS FOR 20% OFF!

has anyone won a free game on this thing yet because their team won? 
Cause I fail to find any post showing that 

never really took notice of the team stuff. all i do is check the voting for the sets of games. i vote and hope the set that i voted gets the win, and then i get to buy stuff for around £3 instead of £5 or £6.

i got around 16 games out of the whole sale so far and i think i've spent no more than £40. that's less than what the last of us cost when it was new, and GTA5.

Gaben - Our Lord and Saviour

Is there a reason the graphic they have for Day 9 is a pink guy flipping the board in rage?

Probably as a result of this rigging users were doing?

Edit: 666 posts!