• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aragorn195

Dark Souls (1). Moments that made you feel robbed,

31 posts in this topic

I've look around and could'nt find anything like this, sorry if I'm double posting.

So Im talking about moments where you were in the midst of an epic fight and suddenly you get from out of nowhere chopped into small tiny meat pieces eaten by your enemy with Sweet & Sour sauce and some rice or noodles. No I am talking about the moment like then one I had.

So was gonna go and fight my first, real, boss the Taurus Demon. I walked through the gate to the battleground, I killed off the 2 sneaky crossbowmen above me and went ahead forward. It was then the beast appeared infront of me, and so the battle commenced. I was prepared, prepared to die that is, what I was not prepared for was what happend. After something like 1 minutte of battle and I'd barely scratched his health bar he walk backward... and fell off the wall into his death. Yes, I defeated the Taurus Demon by having him accidently walk off the wall and die.

And I felt robbed. This was not what I expected from the famous Dark Souls, not at all. I expected a long and hard battle where I would die over and over again before I finally overcame the odds and defeated him in a great battle. I am genuinely tempet to create a new and identical character just so that I can fight him again. I want my epic battle of death and in the end glory.

So there you have it, I defeated a gruesome monster by doing nothing that mattered. Tell me your epic flawed victory that yourself have experianced.

These happened in Dark Souls 1: 

When encountering Ornstein and Smough in my second character playthrough I done a glitch which would allow me kill them both and take no damage. The glitch was pretty easily spotted and allowed the player to stand in one spot and attack them but not worry about getting hit, regardless of who is still alive on the second part of the boss battle. Ever since I found that glitch, I can speed by this boss in a matter of minutes. 

When encountering enemies in Dark Souls 1, random wandering ones and not the mini bosses. The environment was the only thing I worried about, the enemies was just way too easy to kill and get by. There was no challenge for me besides boss battles and even then, still not enough. The only difficult part in Ds1 was the environment for me, the enemies were just wonky and unbalanced in ds1, there was no hard difficulty for me in that entire game besides environment and even then, only Anor Lando environment was the hardest thing to traverse for me at first, because of the narrow walkways. But after getting the hang of it, I can speed all the way to smores and orinstein without worry about falling and once I done that, it was a cake walk 

Anywho, yeah...ds1 wasn't that hard for me. Ds2 was harder in my book 

Well Ill remember that... and dont do it. You can see I want to do this without cheaty tactics.

Well Ill remember that... and dont do it. You can see I want to do this without cheaty tactics.

Fuck the Capra Demon.

He's not the hardest, but fuck.

Well honestly the only times I've felt like I was robbed is when the invincibility frames of the roll end 0,1 second or less before a large skill hits me and instant kills me.

Second thing is ofc the camera. When you use lock on in a small area, and you try to circle around your enemy, sometimes the camera starts messing around inverting your roll direction (If you wish to roll), so you will roll into the swing instead (Even though if the camera wouldn't have freaked out you would've easily dodged that.).. It has happened to me so many times. With havel to be more exact. I usually kill him with my starting weapon (Takes a long time but the shortcut + ring is worth it.. 35~ damage backstabs ftw? xD).. I recently did a new playthrough of DS1 after playing DS2 and I was stuck with havel for like 30 minutes (4-5 tries because the camera problem and sometimes I mistake his "Homing swing" for a normal downward swing, which was a few deaths as well.

Although to be honest I guess the most robbed feeling is.. When a boss or mob uses his strongest attack 4-5 times in a row, which is hella hard to dodge or deals so much damage that you have to continue dodging until the enemy starts an animation that lets you put a few hits in between... It was especially bad with 4 kings as 1 of them has a grabbing attack that you need to run away from.. I was attacked with the grabbing attack like 4 times in a row and that was an annoying thing to die to, because I used the "Wear havel's take all the hits like a baws and slug it out". Not good against the grab attack spam (Actually I think if you go for that strategy and get unlucky with constant grabs, then you'll die no matter what because the grab animation is so long, and the king spawn timer goes on even while the grab is happening.. And that's if you manage to somehow survive the grabs..).. Though in NG+3 I had to start using the light armor tactic because y'know.. Armor stops being too useful against them (And honestly if you're good with rolls and stuff you can just go light armor against 4 kings, especially considering you'll need to do the light armor thing at higher difficulties anyway....

P.S: There's nothing as annoying as NG+ 4 kings. The spawn time gets shorter, but the damage you need to deal gets higher each playthrough.. I've had to fight with all 4 kings at once (Killed one and in that time 4 others managed to spawn.).. Well I didn't use too good of a weapon that time but my god it was a nightmare (And I actually won!! Pyromancy ftw!)

Actually that happened to me with the taurus demon too. All of a sudden hen just went "F*ck this SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttt" 

and jumped of the tower.

Quite frankly for me Dark souls is hard enough and I will take any advantage I can -  I am stuck in the gardens and may need to start again as I have made several critical mistakes so far like not using the fire souls to up my flask and stuff.  

In a wierd way this game reminds me of the original Zelda. No-ones going to tell you what to do step by step- you either have to grab a strategy guide or figure it all out yourself.

Honestly, Aragorn, I can see why you feel cheated, but let me just point out that that wasn't meant to happen. In reality, the broken wall bit there was for players who were fast enough could dodge at the right moment and have him fall to his death. Otherwise, you'd have to kill him with your own hands.

I never felt that what you call "cheaty tactics" were cheaty at all. I like to think about it this way. Back in the good old days of gaming, we often died a lot, and boss battles were of course the hardest of things. Back in the day we used to ask "how do we kill it?! Where is it's weak points?!" and those cheaty tactics reminded me of playing games in the past where there was multiple ways to beat the beast that you never considered before.

Dark souls is hard and grueling, no doubt, but it's all about community. They wanted you to feel stuck and feel like "I really have to level up my character, a lot!" because they figured you'd say "this is taking to long, there has to be another way" in which there was usually. It's a bit of a tribute in that way to games of old where you had that one friend who beat the game twice who could help you, since google had no answers, or for some, didn't even exist yet. 

I really liked dark souls, and I never really felt robbed. The game had a lot of hard moments, but with such an amazing sense of self-reward. The battles took such high amounts of skill it's pretty incredible. Also, the community features, raiding, honorable battles, teaming up, it was so much fun. I loved tackling a boss with some random guy in another dimension. I also really enjoyed that you had look a lot of things up, only because games aren't challenging enough anymore, so they made a game that people who can't handle a challenge well can still enjoy thanks to the internet, but people like you and me who do enjoy a challenge can do by ourselves with maybe one or two friends for help.

I hope this gave you a different perspective on it. Are you new to the game, or have you played it before?

What I referred to a "cheaty tactic" was the throwing poo through the fade door (whatever its called, dont remember on top of my head) without having to actually go through and face him.

What I referred to a "cheaty tactic" was the throwing poo through the fade door (whatever its called, dont remember on top of my head) without having to actually go through and face him.

you are throwing it over the wall, not through the fog. But, there is a tactic which you can snipe bosses through a fog gate. But...that's not the same as throwing poo over a wall. 

The details doesnt matter, my point was that I find that to be a cheaty tactic and I refuse to do that. I wont lock down upon any who does it though.

the way I beat him was to simply go up and down the tower. Throw bombs, when he jumps up, climb down, when he jumps down, climb back up. I finished him by jumping on him with a downward thrust. That epic final blow was worth the cheap tactics,

the way I beat him was to simply go up and down the tower. Throw bombs, when he jumps up, climb down, when he jumps down, climb back up. I finished him by jumping on him with a downward thrust. That epic final blow was worth the cheap tactics,

I defeated him, after dying 3 times. I halved his health with bombs, then finished him off using a spear looted from one of the Hollow spear soldier guys. I feel accomplished.

Shadow Paladin likes this

Hmmm I think it's gotta be Ceaseless Discharge, you know what I'm talking about :P

When I went to the store and bought the game. That's when I felt robbed.

When I went to the store and bought the game. That's when I felt robbed.

let me guess, games for windows live requirement? 

Ummmmmmm, maybe.

GFWL wasnt any issue for me. Worked for me right away. Kinda wish it didnt becuase I got invaded and killed. And I didnt manage to retrieve my souls.

First time killing the Hellkite Drake. When the game first came out there was a glitch that when you did get past the Drake, and went up the tower where the Black Knight with the Black Knight Greatsword is, you could shoot the Hellkite Drake in the back but this caused the Drake to fall through the map and eventually die do to the fall. Now though you can't do it since when you get past the drake now he just flys off.

I wish I had a moment like that. Most of the time I fight a monster, I will always die 10 to 20 times before I beat them. Surprisingly the one enemy I died the most by isn't a boss, but that damn Wyvern in the first area. The only exceptions are the butterfly boss, and the pinwheel boss. I beat them in 1 try.

Hear is an video I made where you see how the boss kill himself

at that pace your gonna be playing that version all year. By the way, I recommend you use Obs to record stuff instead of what your using now. 

What Im using now is Shadowplay. I dont plan those recording I just use shadowplay to record moments that can be used after they have happened. I cant predict when they'll happen.