• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

(AJSA)JD

I just hate PC Gamer's and the Master Race.

166 posts in this topic

I wouldn't consider a learning curve a pitfall, not for anything. It's just like an online game, if you're going to play it properly and you want to be good you have to put in the time, effort and soak up what you learn to be efficient at it. This applies to almost everything in life, practice makes perfect and experience cannot be bought, you have to put in the leg work with things.

Fair point, but the difference between games and PCs is the entertainment value. I know some people get enjoyment out of tinkering with their PC, but It's far from everybody who does.

And perhaps the simple fact that a learning curve even exists for PC gaming counts as a downside?

Or perhaps It's just a subjective opinion. If you want to learn something, of course It's not a pitfall. If you have to learn something, I think that qualifies as a pitfall.

Everything anyone has the choice and preference to chose and enjoy with the money they earn from hard work is subjective.

If someone enjoys consoles more than PC, it may stem form the fact that it's bawls simple to operate, they enjoy the UI, they enjoy the integrated systems, they have a history with the brand or the platform that makes them enjoy it, blah blah blah. They may even have a stigma about PCs for any reason. Some people can't make PCs, in which they would end up spending lots of money for a company produced one. Maybe they've had bad experiences like my friend where games just inexplicably don't work for gods know why like Modern Warfare not wanting to start up unless there a jack in the microphone input that was incredibly difficult to solve on his own terms at the time.

Stating that you cannot be subjective with this issue is nonesense.

I'm a PC gamer through and through. I enjoy Counter-Strike and think all other shooters are MEH. I enjoy my Steam sales, I like keyboard and mouse and think controllers are hellish imprecise expensive pieces of plastic not worth my time.

But I love the Ouya in our livingroom. It's dead simple and my and my kids play four players games on it all the time using one tv and using controllers that weren't even made for the system because its an open platform based on android.

I have a friend who has a decent gaming rig and for some inexplicable reason, beyond all reason and basic thought, he always screws something up. I'm amazed he got a 7.1 theater hooked up by himself to play his PS4 on his 60'' tv.

What I'm getting at is certain things are not subjective by any means.

A PC is more powerful and can produce far more graphical fidelity than a console ever could. A PC has or is capable of nearly all of the functionality of a console, plus the endless list of other things it can do. That's what I'm getting at, things like that are not subjective.

Fair point, but the difference between games and PCs is the entertainment value. I know some people get enjoyment out of tinkering with their PC, but It's far from everybody who does.

And perhaps the simple fact that a learning curve even exists for PC gaming counts as a downside?

Or perhaps It's just a subjective opinion. If you want to learn something, of course It's not a pitfall. If you have to learn something, I think that qualifies as a pitfall.

I would just call those people lazy or they're not interested in it enough to learn, there's no other word for it that I can think of. If they were genuinely interested they would learn, they would take the time and invest the effort to learn.

If they don't they're just lazy or not interested enough.

I wouldn't consider a learning curve a pitfall, not for anything. It's just like an online game, if you're going to play it properly and you want to be good you have to put in the time, effort and soak up what you learn to be efficient at it. This applies to almost everything in life, practice makes perfect and experience cannot be bought, you have to put in the leg work with things.

Exactly. YOU WOULDNT.

Some people don't have time to put in the effort to overcome a learning curve. If someone does not want to do something, it's pitfall to them.

For example, I think EVE is just amazing. But I do not and will not put in the hours and hours and hours I personally needed in order to get anywhere and figure anything out while being shot out down like a helpless bird. I think I put 70 hours into it over a couple of months and just felt jaded.

I don't think gamers want to feel jaded about their platform or game of choice. They want sit -> fun.

It goes back to that car analogy you made earlier.

Some people like digging through scrapyards, looking for the perfect pieces to make their own ride.

Some just like rebuilding engines and knowing how to properly maintain the vehicle itself so they don't have to pay anyone else to do it.

Some people just buy them in a shop, drive around in them, and fuck all else.

Berserker likes this

Exactly. YOU WOULDNT.

Some people don't have time to put in the effort to overcome a learning curve. If someone does not want to do something, it's pitfall to them.

For example, I think EVE is just amazing. But I do not and will not put in the hours and hours and hours I personally needed in order to get anywhere and figure anything out while being shot out down like a helpless bird. I think I put 70 hours into it over a couple of months and just felt jaded.

I don't think gamers want to feel jaded about their platform or game of choice. They want sit -> fun.

Like I previously said, they're lazy or not interested enough.

I would just call those people lazy or they're not interested in it enough to learn, there's no other word for it that I can think of. If they were genuinely interested they would learn, they would take the time and invest the effort to learn.

If they don't they're just lazy or not interested enough.

Well that's exactly my point.

I don't think you can argue that people are just lazy because they aren't interested in learning one thing. I mean, surely we can agree that learning how a computer works, and how a game works are two vastly different things, each one with It's own merits?

I enjoy learning how a new game works, and I enjoy getting better at it. But I don't enjoy learning how my computer works. It's not that I'm lazy, I just don't have sufficient interest in it, nor do I have a need to learn it.

Well that's exactly my point.

I don't think you can argue that people are just lazy because they aren't interested in learning one thing. I mean, surely we can agree that learning how a computer works, and how a game works are two vastly different things, each one with It's own merits?

I enjoy learning how a new game works, and I enjoy getting better at it. But I don't enjoy learning how my computer works. It's not that I'm lazy, I just don't have sufficient interest in it, nor do I have a need to learn it.

I didn't say lazy AND, I said lazy OR.

i played eve for 2 years straight and was a pirate. i have around 350 kill mails and took part in around 900-1000 kills in a pirate gang patrolling gates. i probably killed you. i'm sorry. lol.

ISNeko likes this

I didn't say lazy AND, I said lazy OR.

Sooo, you agree with the rest of my post?

console sucks and bogs down the technical advancements of games in general, also you can't do whatever the hell you want with them. Basically every console is an even worse worse version of a mac.

Did I do it right?

Nya` likes this

console sucks and bogs down the technical advancements of games in general, also you can't do whatever the hell you want with them. Basically every console is an even worse worse version of a mac.

Did I do it right?

Vulgar way to put it, it's the truth though.

I am an IT techinician by trade, I own a PC that I built myself and will not purchase another console. My reasoning is because MY PC is better than any console I can purchase. I still wish I could play some of the exclusives for the consoles but there are not enough to justify me purchasing one.

A PC can be better than a console, however most PCs are not. Most households either lack the technical knowledge of how to maintain their PC or simply do not want to put the effort or money in to it. Buying or building your own PC that can rival that of a console requires the technical skills to do so (which most people lack), or a wallet fat enough to pay a company to do it for them.

Consoles were created so that the average consumer can enjoy what a PC already does or did is some cases. Consoles are cheaper, more portable, better optimized, more user friendly PCs. If you do not know this it is because you are too caught up in yourself to realize it. You are like me and have no need for a console but that does stop the millions of others that do. They prefer it and it is actually better for them in many ways than I can simply type here.

To sum it up, get off your high horse and acknowledge that consoles have a market or they wouldnt exist. PCs can be better than consoles but most people's PC are not.

To sum it up, get off your high horse and acknowledge that consoles have a market or they wouldnt exist. PCs can be better than consoles but most people's PC are not.

Exactly this. I want to like this post 100 times, sadly I can only do it once.

But for me, this is the core of the whole debate, and also the end of it. I can think of no better way to express it than what Seph said.

A PC can be better than a console, however most PCs are not. Most households either lack the technical knowledge of how to maintain their PC or simply do not want to put the effort or money in to it. Buying or building your own PC that can rival that of a console requires the technical skills to do so (which most people lack), or a wallet fat enough to pay a company to do it for them.

You have to base a comparison off of the highest common denominator though, not the lowest. It doesn't matter what most people have, most people are irrelevant. All that matters is what is capable of being done on a PC versus a console, that is all that matters.

That is the entire point of the argument against a console, they are so infinitely limited and a PC is not.

Did I do it right?

not quite. there's a reason consoles exist. it's for the casual kind of market. if it didn't exit, gaming wouldn't exist. you cannot make enough revenue as a game developer only from PC gaming. there's not going to be enough sales of units of software or digital downloads to make the cut on the PC platform alone (if you are a big publisher and  / or dev and have a target proft to hit across the board and a massive budget a.k.a multi platform games).

sure, some games only come out on PC but quite a few of them are made on smaller budgets and are in turn, smaller games. however, that does not mean the quality and writing of an amazing story is not there either.

some people like to game on a device that does absolutely everything for them and some people like to game on a machine that allows them the power to do anything at home. game makers have to cater to both.

no. there's a reason consoles exist. it's for the casual kind of market. if it didn't exit, gaming wouldn't exist. you cannot make enough revenue as a game developer only from PC gaming. there's not going to be enough sales of units of software or digital downloads to make the cut on the PC platform alone.

some people like to game on a device that does absolutely everything for them and some people like to game on a machine that allows them the power to do anything at home. game makers have to cater to both.

His point which you seem to have missed was consoles artificially stunt gaming technological advancement, this is a well known reality. His other point is they're a locked down platform that you can do nothing with aside from what is designated for you; hence a Mac, this is also true.

His point which you seem to have missed was consoles artificially stunt gaming technological advancement, this is a well known reality.

... PC Exclusives suck because they're being held back by not being available on consoles at all?

It was satirizing the average epeen post actually, do you guys know what a joke is anymore? It's true though that I hate closed platforms.

I am an IT techinician by trade, I own a PC that I built myself and will not purchase another console. My reasoning is because MY PC is better than any console I can purchase. I still wish I could play some of the exclusives for the consoles but there are not enough to justify me purchasing one.

Consoles were created so that the average consumer can enjoy what a PC already does or did is some cases. Consoles are cheaper, more portable, better optimized, more user friendly PCs. If you do not know this it is because you are too caught up in yourself to realize it. You are like me and have no need for a console but that does stop the millions of others that do. They prefer it and it is actually better for them in many ways than I can simply type here.

Well to be honest if someone needs you in the first place it probably means they won't have the patience, skill, drive or whatever you want to call it to build a computer.Given the userbase growth of PC gaming since the times of "PC gaming is dead" I'm not so sure it's representative of the majority of gamers anymore though, computer gaming is not like the early 90's when you had to have a considerable knowledge(comparable to nowadays' plug and play) just to set up a system and many people play a vast array of games without SLI Titans.

... PC Exclusives suck because they're being held back by not being available on consoles at all?

Crysis was the last graphically intensive PC exclusive that pushed boundaries I can remember. Most PC exclusives don't care about graphics since it's mostly ARPG's, Strategy games, MMO's and CRPG's nowadays. Shooters and action games are mostly always multi-platform and games that actually flaunt their graphics end up being multi-platform. Watch Dogs is a good example, why did it have an entire host of hidden graphic filters and options in the code? It may be tinfoil hat but my only guess is that it better equalizes it with the console releases or they didn't want to spend time optimizing those options since PC is considered a secondary market for multiplatform... Which is another problem but let's not get into that.

If everyone knew how to manage their own PCs, I would not have a job or make nearly as much as I do now.

The video OP posted was a troll video. Cause he was clearly saying that PC is better. Saying "I don't like having the choice of using any controller" and "I don't like having a bigger indie scene on the PC".. So.. Shouldn't this be a spam thread? An off-topic thread?

But anyway. I'll just end the whole console vs PC discussion with this.

PC is a superior GAMING platform because everything runs and performs better, and you have the choice of using any controller or any addon on the PC. But that doesn't mean that console games aren't games, and they're plain inferior to PC games. That doesn't mean that console gamers aren't gamers. We're all gamers, and most console games are as good as PC games. But PC is simply just a better and more powerful platform. It's simply a fact. But it's also a fact that to get performance similar to PS4 you'll need to pay 1.5x more for the PC. Though in the long run I guess steam sales and stuff will save you the same amount of money.

So PC is an objectively more powerful platform with the most variety and choices. Consoles have exclusives and a respectable amount of power behind them as well + What matters are games on those consoles. If the games and exclusives are good, and if you don't really care much for PC games, then ofc having a PS4/Xbone is completely fine. 

Saying that PC's have a lot of problems is true to an extent. Because there's a lot more things that they're used for and viruses and things are easier to come by then a dedicated gaming system, because gaming systems only have specific functions. But that doesn't make consoles superior. If you don't go in yourself and every now and then check the temperatures and stuff on your computer (+Use Advanced System care, which is a lovely little thing.) then you should be fine. If you just want to play games without a care in the world then using consoles is completely fine. While PC's do require you to not exactly click on every single ad or open spam letters, and clean your system up every now and then.

PC exclusives are fine, the problem is not many AAA developers who create visually stunning games develop solely for the PC so games like that don't really exist, they are multi-platform. As a result of this they gimp their games to lower the visual discrepancy between a PC and a next-gen console.

Watch_Dogs was a perfect example of this in action, developers purposely do not push the envelope because they develop around a console budget instead of a PC budget and then scale back for consoles.

His point which you seem to have missed was consoles artificially stunt gaming technological advancement, this is a well known reality. His other point is they're a locked down platform that you can do nothing with aside from what is designated for you; hence a Mac, this is also true.

i don't dispute that and if i came across as missing it i am sorry.

i said what i said because it seems to me as consoles artificially stunt gaming advancement as you say, is purely because of the market of people it caters to. i.e. if there were many more hardcore gamers on the PC rather than the consoles, making console gamers the smaller market, then surely the games on PC would be properly made to take advantage of the hardware as best possible and the games would be the same price as the console games currently, and the console games would actually end up being cheaper.

end of the day i think it just boils down to the ease of making the most biggest chunks of money. i think most publishers and devs make that on the consoles, which is why they don't bother to spend more time and money to change the game drastically for the pc market when they believe they won't be making the same amounts of profit as they did on the other platform.

i guess, a future example we can use to put this to test is GTA5 on the PC. will be interesting to see how much better or worse it will be on the PC compared to the console versions, because they are charging £35 for it on amazon.co.uk and £47 for the console versions (PS4 / xbox one) which makes me think they're just going to make the game as best they can for the hardware of the PS4 and xbox one and lazy port it over to the PC with the exact same graphics and quality, where the only real difference will be the res and the fps.

we shall see!

All fanboys are stupid, childish, ignorant pricks. Fact

The "master race" are easily the worst of the lot because as well as being stupid, childish, ignorant pricks, they also Have a huge superiority complex that no aspect of their livesor characters even comes close to warranting. We don't need reminding if where the PC is superior, we know, but we still CHOOSE to game on a console. Yes, that's right, we choose it, not because we're poor (Funny how the PC Master Race say that about us then claim the PC is cheaper.) or to incompetent or lazy to build a PC.

They troll about on the forms like cockroaches totally convinced they are the Lord's of everything and everyone they see. The real PC would probably be just as happy to drop PC from that title, that's the difference.

A fan is just ready to question and criticise their preferred platform and consistently, yet with a respectful and understanding attitude, demand better. Fanboys across all platforms are guilty of this, but the master race don't even acknowledge the problems with the PC to that extent. The don't have the intelligence to defend, only the ignorance to attack.

The master race is so blind to much of an irritating plague they are that even when the think they are being helpful to their "subjects" from the console peasants below, that can't see they're being ignorant ass holes. For example, has anyone ever been able to ask the simple and very clear question, "PS4 or X Box One" without some knob saying in "stare down the nose" manner, "Buy a PC". You think that's helpful? What would happen if I went on a thread like "What graphics card?" and I said, "An entire PS4 is cheaper, Buy that instead!" See, that would be rude wouldn't it.

Now, before somebody goes squirrel shit nuts over anything I've said or about to say, I could rant just as easily about console fan boys, the reason I don't is because with one or two exceptions, my experience of the console gamers on this form has been very positive. They're mature, organized, friendly and, whilst they have a preference of course, they very fair and un-biased. The PC gamers, and it is a huge minority responsible for this, account for the vast majority of the fanboyisum and other ignorant and mean behaviour on this form. I'm not wrong, that's just my personal experience, yours may be different.

To summarize, the PC fanboys are the worst and I find they have a greater presence on these threads that console fanboys despite the fact the PC have way more official support than we do, and thus have less reasons to bitch and moan. The thing you should bear in mind when thinking about what I've said is you shouldn't be insulated unless you're guilty.

Gamers game, fanboys GTF.

PC exclusives are fine, the problem is not many AAA developers who create visually stunning games develop solely for the PC so games like that don't really exist, they are multi-platform. As a result of this they gimp their games to lower the visual discrepancy between a PC and a next-gen console.

Watch_Dogs was a perfect example of this in action, developers purposely do not push the envelope because they develop around a console budget instead of a PC budget and then scale back for consoles.

Ah. I see what you're saying now.

I don't think it's so much that they're not pushing the envelope though. It's more that they are still learning the new hardware.

Like with the PS2. Look at Ico. Then look at Hitman: Blood Money. Watch Dogs is the PS4's Ico.

But even if you are right, do you really think that would change if consoles ceased to exist?

Developers would still gimp their games so that every game would look better than the last.

true and also to be honest a real mystery.

this is because the same studio that made watch dogs for the PC was also responsible for far cry 3 for the PC. and i have that game on the PS3 as well. my god... the PC version is a million miles better in terms of graphical quality and smoothness than the PS3 version. it's like it's a different game. they put a lot of good treatment into the PC version of that game, so it's a mystery why they didn't seem to give the same treatment to watch dogs.

although i am just speculating on what others have said a lot. i haven't played watch dogs on either platform so i will see for myself one day.