• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Commodore 64

Buy One Power Rig or 3 PS4's?

21 posts in this topic

So I have this constant argument with my oldest kid. He has been hounding me for a Power Rig forever. My argument is that we could get 3 Ps4's - One for me, one for him and one for his brother for the cost of one $1,200.00 Power rig.

Then we could all play Next Gen together.

Currently we Have 4 XBOX 360's hooked up, 4 XBOX Live Accounts (Which is ridiculous, it went from $100.00 a year to $240.00 a year! Thanks MS!). And this is how we all game out together.

So, to me this is a no brainer right? Sure there is some stuff on PC we can't run on our lap tops but nothing we can't live without. Plus, that would only give us one PC!

What would you spend the $1,200.00 on?

Honestly, I'd go for the consoles. Hell you can even mix it up with an Xbox One here, a PS4 there. Buying 1 rig instead of several console seems counter productive given how many people are actually going to be gaming.

GenesisKiller96 likes this

Gaming rig or nothing except i would save up that money for paying bills thats my opinion.

If your kids/brother/whatever  are active at playing games all day i would go for 3 PS4's and you still have to pay subscription fee's thats 60$ for 1 year + free games/Discounts every Month, i would also wait till Destiny bundle comes out therefore you could get the White PS4 in my opinion i really love coulor white because it blends the ugly dust away and i the stormtrooper coulor thus you get the Destiny it self in that bundle and you can play whit your kids whit it.

Lucky you with 400$ PS4's. They're 449€ here (614$). Xbone is 499€. My PC parts were around 500.

Honestly it comes down to how often all of you play and which platform. If you really want to play on PC and you all play together, I reccomend building seperate less powerful PCs for each member of the family that plays or at least enough for people to play together. You then can use the money you arent paying in sub fees to upgrade the PCs later on down the road. If you all prefer the consoles though, then thats a gimme and it is alot less work.

Legolas_Katarn likes this

I'm always going to recommend a PC but then I don't really know what kind of games you all play or if spending that much on a PC is really necessary.

I reccomend building seperate less powerful PCs for each member of the family that plays or at least enough for people to play together. You then can use the money you arent paying in sub fees to upgrade the PCs later on down the road. If you all prefer the consoles though, then thats a gimme and it is alot less work.

I think that makes the most sense, the much cheaper prices of games on the PC also helps to save money in the long run, especially if you are going to be buying the same games multiple times for people to use on different 360s/PS4s.

I have had no real reason to follow it, but isn't Steam doing that family game sharing thing as well so you can all play the games owned by one account?

It's great having fantastic hardware, but I'm always pretty taken aback by all the high prices people think they need to spend. Plus, every time I feel like getting a new pc and I browse Newegg or something, I only end up with $600 or so to spend in parts for a significant upgrade over my current rig that is five years old and I'm playing FFXIV in 1080 on high. But, I dunno. Just rambling.

Console gaming is great and if you want everyone to play with their own setup and you aren't adept at putting rigs together manually, then I see no problem with getting the multiple consoles so everyone can have their own slice.

for your situation i would go with the consoles for the simplicity and lifespan.

this choice is also partly because i grew up where my parents gave me a console. when i asked if i could have a PC to play games the answer was no and that if i wanted one i would have to wait until i am older and school needed it, therefore it would have at least 2 functions rather than 1 which is already covered by the console, or i would have to save up money and do house chores to get it myself.

i did get one in the end, but it wasn't until i was 14. what i mean is, even if you don't get him one now, he can get one later when it's more feasible for you because at the end of the day it's your money and if i was a dad i would only give my child a PC to play games on so long as it gave him other uses along with it. i think it's important for a child to grow up understanding that a computer, although can play games, can also teach them a lot about the world they live in and be used to help them with their studies. if they are made to believe it's only for games, it's kind of a waste.

Consoles if you all play a lot of the time (which sounds like you do)

Or PC if it's just one of you all the time and the rest every now and then.

Gaming rig most certainly. 
You'll have access to most games that go on consoles anyway, and you'll get all of those games cheaper. In the long run you'll be saving hundreds of dollars, and PC's will have a longer life-span. If you already don't have a powerful rig, then I urge you to buy it. Though don't buy a pre-built because they're far more expensive. Rather ask people who knows about building computers about what components to buy, and just buy them and let an expert put the computer together. It's far safer that way.

The few exclusives that you get access to are not worth it if you're looking for a main gaming platform.

+ You can have a multi-monitor set-up and enjoy playing games while watching breaking bad on the side.

+ If you have a TV with an HDMI out, and buy wireless HDMI, with wireless controllers then you'll be able to play at your TV with your friends anyway. And for single player games ofc you can use your TV as well thanks to steams "Big picture" mode. So the TV space is also something that PC covers. There's absolutely nothing that the PC can't do (Well except for making cookies. For some reason my computer doesn't like making cookies.).

Gaming rig most certainly. 

You'll have access to most games that go on consoles anyway, and you'll get all of those games cheaper. In the long run you'll be saving hundreds of dollars, and PC's will have a longer life-span. If you already don't have a powerful rig, then I urge you to buy it. Though don't buy a pre-built because they're far more expensive. Rather ask people who knows about building computers about what components to buy, and just buy them and let an expert put the computer together. It's far safer that way.

The few exclusives that you get access to are not worth it if you're looking for a main gaming platform.

+ You can have a multi-monitor set-up and enjoy playing games while watching breaking bad on the side.

+ If you have a TV with an HDMI out, and buy wireless HDMI, with wireless controllers then you'll be able to play at your TV with your friends anyway. And for single player games ofc you can use your TV as well thanks to steams "Big picture" mode. So the TV space is also something that PC covers. There's absolutely nothing that the PC can't do (Well except for making cookies. For some reason my computer doesn't like making cookies.).

You forgot to take into account that the other option Is getting enough consoles for all his kids too. I still think that's the better option. Essentially you either get 1 platform, or 3.

Get the PC, the PlayStation 4 has no games, having three of them you will all be bored out of your minds until probably 2016. Even if you get a single PC you will have access to a backlog of thousands of games as well as current ones and you can take turns enjoying it. These new console are not worth it right now, it's a few days of enjoyment and then you're stuck thinking "well now what?".

You can't go wrong with a PC.

Get the PC, the PlayStation 4 has no games, having three of them you will all be bored out of your minds until probably 2016. Even if you get a single PC you will have access to a backlog of thousands of games as well as current ones and you can take turns enjoying it. These new console are not worth it right now, it's a few days of enjoyment and then you're stuck thinking "well now what?".

You can't go wrong with a PC.

But he already has laptops and 360s, so with the PS4s he'd be pretty well covered both now, and in the future.

And they wouldn't have to take turns gaming, but could just game together.

But he already has laptops and 360s, so with the PS4s he'd be pretty well covered both now, and in the future.

And they wouldn't have to take turns gaming, but could just game together.

Laptop isn't really something you can game on properly.. There's temperature problems and most likely the performance itself is weak unless it's a 1.5k-2k laptop.

P.S: In my previous message I did explain that you can just as well play multiplayer games on a TV with a PC. It just requires wireless controllers and an HDMI cable (Or an wireless hdmi adapter.). There's a good amount of multiplayer games on the PC (Racing games, fighting games, turn-based strategy games etc.), so even when playing with friends the PC (If you have the money for it.) is a better choice. So that's what I recommend. If you have kids and you already have a decent laptop that can run games without problems (Over heating.) then a PS4 ofc would be a good choice.

once again, i recommend the console for his situation. he's got kids / a family to cater to and 1 PC is not going to cut it for that scenario despite it being better than the consoles, it doesn't mean the consoles provide nothing and suck.

in this case for him on what he said on the original post, the console route would be the best and most cost effective option. the whole argument of steam sales and how games on PC look and run better is completely irrelevant here for his situation. some consoles knocking about in the house is going to be more cost effective on the initial spend and he can if he wants to, stick to buying pre owned games to save as much as possible rather than buying new games all the time.

lastly, the PS4 and xbox one have been out for less than a year. of course they have hardly any games. but they will come. if you were to get a set of PS4s now or in the near future you will be able to play the last of us which also has a great online mode, GTA5, and the online for that is endless amounts of fun. then you have infamous second son, watch dogs if you care about that, killzone, knack, whatever indie games are on the ps store, and all the games announced and shown at E3 are on their way as well.

you WILL pay more money to buy and play games on the consoles, but you WILL pay less than by purchasing 3 or 4 gaming PCs instead. end of the day, yes, it's more expensive to game on the consoles but you will have the benefit of convenience and a long lifespan of games coming for the new consoles and you will not have to upgrade a single thing what so ever. it's a decent investment for a family.

Berserker likes this

Laptop isn't really something you can game on properly.. There's temperature problems and most likely the performance itself is weak unless it's a 1.5k-2k laptop.

Fair point, and the OP states that he's aware of a laptops limitations.

P.S: In my previous message I did explain that you can just as well play multiplayer games on a TV with a PC. It just requires wireless controllers and an HDMI cable (Or an wireless hdmi adapter.). There's a good amount of multiplayer games on the PC (Racing games, fighting games, turn-based strategy games etc.), so even when playing with friends the PC (If you have the money for it.) is a better choice. So that's what I recommend. If you have kids and you already have a decent laptop that can run games without problems (Over heating.) then a PS4 ofc would be a good choice.

Also, fair point. But you're forgetting that the OP Is asking If he should buy 1 gaming rig, or 3 consoles. If he went with the rig, he'd only have his laptops for gaming (I assume the OP didn't leave out details like that) meaning only 1 person in his house hold of at least himself and 2 kids would benefit from the rig at any one time. Which I think is a downside compared to getting a next gen console for each of them.

To compress the issue; The OP wants to know If It's better to get 1 single PC gaming rig, or 3 next gen consoles, for himself, and his sons.

It's a no brainer for me, the consoles simply offers the most benefits for the OPs situation.

stick to buying pre owned games to save as much as possible rather than buying new games all the time.

I'd hate to start a controversy over here.. But I'm just saying while passing by.. From pre-owned game sales 0% of the profit goes to the people who actually made the game. Hence the developers not getting the money for sequels. I see it as the same as toxic piracy. But if you have anything to tell me, just PM. *wink-wink*

But anyway kids can play at the TV even with the PC, and hell I'm sure that he as a parent will have more power over what the kid plays because setting the wireless hdmi + controllers up isn't something that kids can really do that easily. Which is what parents really need in the moment.

And currently he has Xbox 360's anyway. So that could very well be the gaming platform that the kids use. If the kids want to get into the computer and play some PC games, they'll ask their parents who'll set it up and let them play games that they know are alright for their kids. And I really think that having access to turn-based strategy game is really educational for the kids, because it will actually make them think (Heroes of might and magic series played in a lan is unbelievable.). All in all I'd think that PC would be the better of the 2 choices, but ofc there's nothing wrong with going for PS4 route. But if you have to buy 3 copies of each game to play online or something, then I'm not sure the PS4's will be that sensible.

Fair point, and the OP states that he's aware of a laptops limitations.

Also, fair point. But you're forgetting that the OP Is asking If he should buy 1 gaming rig, or 3 consoles. If he went with the rig, he'd only have his laptops for gaming (I assume the OP didn't leave out details like that) meaning only 1 person in his house hold of at least himself and 2 kids would benefit from the rig at any one time. Which I think is a downside compared to getting a next gen console for each of them.

To compress the issue; The OP wants to know If It's better to get 1 single PC gaming rig, or 3 next gen consoles, for himself, and his sons.

It's a no brainer for me, the consoles simply offers the most benefits for the OPs situation.

They currently do have their hands on Xbox360's and local multiplayer on the PC is also a thing, so being left out not that big of a deal when he has a laptop anyway (So they can play some games through lan on there as well.). And who says he can't play with his kids? If the kids fire up Grid 3 or whatever then he can just join them on the couch and play 4 player split screen.

Consoles will also cost more, if the kids want to play multiplayer in triple A games you'll have to cough up 180$. Which is another benefit of having a PC. But again I honestly see it as a matter of priorities. Do you want to be more involved with your kids with the 1 PC which will be shared and played together with. Or will you go for 3 PS4's which let the kids play different games at once reducing their actual communication, but possibly (?) let those kids enjoy a better single-player experience.

+I've heard of being able to run 2 games at the same time on a powerful enough PC. With Wireless HDMI and the proper set-up, it should be possible to play 2 different games at once in the same computer. So the 1 PC could possibly (?) be as good as 2 computers if it's a "power rig". Not exactly sure about it.

I'd hate to start a controversy over here.. But I'm just saying while passing by.. From pre-owned game sales 0% of the profit goes to the people who actually made the game. Hence the developers not getting the money for sequels. I see it as the same as toxic piracy. But if you have anything to tell me, just PM. *wink-wink*

Smooth dude, real smooth.

But anyway kids can play at the TV even with the PC, and hell I'm sure that he as a parent will have more power over what the kid plays because setting the wireless hdmi + controllers up isn't something that kids can really do that easily. Which is what parents really need in the moment.

Well one of the OPs kids is old enough to suggest getting a 1200 Dollar power rig, so "kids" is a loose term here, he might be in his teens.

And currently he has Xbox 360's anyway. So that could very well be the gaming platform that the kids use.

Yup, and they probably are.

If the kids want to get into the computer and play some PC games, they'll ask their parents who'll set it up and let them play games that they know are alright for their kids. And I really think that having access to turn-based strategy game is really educational for the kids, because it will actually make them think (Heroes of might and magic series played in a lan is unbelievable.)

I think an argument could be made for video games in general improving motor functions and such. But the OPs kids might not be that young. It occurs to me that we don't actually know their age, and therefore what games they'll want to play. In all honesty It's none of our business to know.

But Turn Based strategy games also exist on consoles, I even think Sony gets a fair bit of them as exclusive JRPGS and the like. Like Pokemon and some other titles I can't name.

All in all I'd think that PC would be the better of the 2 choices, but ofc there's nothing wrong with going for PS4 route. But if you have to buy 3 copies of each game to play online or something, then I'm not sure the PS4's will be that sensible.

Fair point, but It's still a more viable option than having to shell out for 3 power rigs costing thousands of dollars. And both the X1 and PS4 are doing more to give gamers good deals, and free games as well. On Xbox alone you're guaranteed 24 games for free a year.

I get the PC arguments, a power rig is amazing to game on. But In order to truly benefit from it, you need knowledge the OP might not even have, as well as the money and time to maintain it. Let alone to maintain 3 of them, because that's also a key issue; It does concern more than one person, and for this scenario, I really think consoles would be the best way to go.

All in all I'd think that PC would be the better of the 2 choices, but ofc there's nothing wrong with going for PS4 route. But if you have to buy 3 copies of each game to play online or something, then I'm not sure the PS4's will be that sensible.

if he bought 3 gaming PCs, he would still have to buy 3 copies of a game to play with everyone in his family online. LAN can be done from the same disc for sure but that's only if it's a non DRM enabled game that only works on steam and those are quite rare nowadays, for new games at least.

yes, you can share games on steam libraries so that you don't need to buy more copies for the same household to play 1 game, but only 1 person can play that game at a time. if i go on my steam and want to play my girlfriend's games list such as south park stick of truth, it will give me a message telling me i cant play it IF she is on it on her PC in the other room. if this were an online or coop game, i still need my own copy if we want to play together and it only works on steam.

still, for his situation, consoles is the only obvious answer. 1 PC is not what he seems to be after. he wants to play next gen games of all sorts with his family at the same time. that cannot be done with 1 PC and if it can it's just too complicated and troublesome. downloading apps like xpadder and manually mapping buttons to a gamepad for games that don't use gamepads... or sitting there at the couch with 3 sets of keyboards and mice... or having 3 computers in 3 different rooms all laned up with wires trapsing all over the house, 15 meter HDMI cables lying around all over the place, logging into windows all the time, switching the computer monitors to the TV and then finding you hit the infamous windows 7 glitch where the display goes to the TV but your sound is still coming out of the PC speakers in the other room and bla bla bla bla bla... you get my dift... the consoles would simply be turned on... each person has their own TV, their own controller, their games, and they can JUST play and the cost of those 3 consoles like he said on the original post costs altogether the price for 1 gaming PC.

i appreciate what you are trying to say, and i DO agree with you, PC is the best undisputed creme de la creme gaming platform this time around BUT some people have a budget and a lifestyle choice to keep in mind as well. the console fits that for his situation, and it's not a bad investment. for £350 for a PS4 you certainly get a lot of bang for the buck.

Berserker likes this

if he bought 3 gaming PCs, he would still have to buy 3 copies of a game to play with everyone in his family online. LAN can be done from the same disc for sure but that's only if it's a non DRM enabled game that only works on steam and those are quite rare nowadays, for new games at least.

yes, you can share games on steam libraries so that you don't need to buy more copies for the same household to play 1 game, but only 1 person can play that game at a time. if i go on my steam and want to play my girlfriend's games list such as south park stick of truth, it will give me a message telling me i cant play it IF she is on it on her PC in the other room. if this were an online or coop game, i still need my own copy if we want to play together and it only works on steam.

still, for his situation, consoles is the only obvious answer. 1 PC is not what he seems to be after. he wants to play next gen games of all sorts with his family at the same time. that cannot be done with 1 PC and if it can it's just too complicated and troublesome. downloading apps like xpadder and manually mapping buttons to a gamepad for games that don't use gamepads... or sitting there at the couch with 3 sets of keyboards and mice... or having 3 computers in 3 different rooms all laned up with wires trapsing all over the house, 15 meter HDMI cables lying around all over the place, logging into windows all the time, switching the computer monitors to the TV and then finding you hit the infamous windows 7 glitch where the display goes to the TV but your sound is still coming out of the PC speakers in the other room and bla bla bla bla bla... you get my dift... the consoles would simply be turned on... each person has their own TV, their own controller, their games, and they can JUST play and the cost of those 3 consoles like he said on the original post costs altogether the price for 1 gaming PC.

i appreciate what you are trying to say, and i DO agree with you, PC is the best undisputed creme de la creme gaming platform this time around BUT some people have a budget and a lifestyle choice to keep in mind as well. the console fits that for his situation, and it's not a bad investment. for £350 for a PS4 you certainly get a lot of bang for the buck.

You don't need to have 3 different games if it's GoG for one thing. And secondly I've been saying that PC would be the platform where people play games together, and possibly take turns playing a game. It's a more social activity for one thing, something that a parent would support. Having 3 PS4's in the house seems like an overkill, and it's rather sad when kids will play without actively socializing. So if you'd focus on buying games that only work in lan (and don't work in split screen.) then it's possible to buy it from GoG..

And again, even though I might be the only one to think that.. I think that pirating a game that you already have bought isn't really a thing, which would be a work around to having to buy 100 copies on steam (Use hamachi and voila.). Because you've already bought the game. That would only work in Lan and single-player ofc.

I am recommending PC cause there's workarounds everywhere. And like I said before you won't have a 15m long hdmi cable if you use wireless hdmi.

If you'll play games behind a TV you usually play games that do support gamepads (Every single game that's released on a console as well will have pad support.), and if one wants to play with keyboard and mouse you can easily use wireless keyboards and mice. Life is convenient in the moment. There's less games with splitscreen on the PC, but they're still around (Awesomenauts is a brilliant example.).

If they already have Xboxes then if they really want to be alone they can play Black ops or whatever on there. But if they want to play with their fellow bro's and sisters they'd play with their siblings behind a TV with a PC. Honestly I see it as a positive thing to have access to 1 ultimate gaming machine instead of 3 "lesser" ones, because sharing is caring. No sharing = no caring! :D

And again, I'm not exactly 100% sure but I've heard that you can play 2 games at once on a PC, so kids could play behind a TV while the parent plays on the computer or however it goes.

PS4's are an alright choice, but in terms of socializing and possible cost of games I don't think it's the best of choices.

I'm not exactly sure if this helps but as a real-life example. My little sister and brother don't talk to each other at all. But when my little sister (She's 14 I think?) puts on Assassins Creed 2 on Xbox360, then she and my bro actually work together to get around puzzles and hard parts by passing on the controller. Even though they don't really get along too well usually, then that gives them moments where they can actually communicate on the same subject. Usually they're like night and day.

Edit: The windows 7 glitch has an easy fix that's easily googleable. Quite sure if he's part of the AJSA, he knows how to use google to fix a simple device problem. :)

And just repeating. I'm just weighing the benefits of having a PC instead of 3 PS4's, PS4's are more straightforward yes, but having a powerful PC is something that I personally find to be an useful thing to have in every gamers household. Having 1 PC would let the parent play PC games, and if the kids want to play they'd also learn how to share and actually enjoy each others company better.