• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

SoulInsurgent™

DOOM 4

What do you think DOOM 4 should follow?   55 members have voted

1. 1. Should it keep the true DOOM feeling of Run'N'Gun and murder anything with a pulse or differ like DOOM 3 did?

• Run'N'Gun, the only way to play DOOM.
    • Go back to horror like DOOM III did.
    • Make it a mix of horror & Run'n'gunning.
    • COD it.
    • Otherwise (explain please.)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

28 posts in this topic

I do personally hate doom 3, it was a travesty of a game. I honestly feel any Call of Duty has more play-through value and fun to it.

DOOM should NOT be a horror game. So...it was a pathetic attempt to bring DOOM back, but an attempt none-the less.

Now we have DOOM 4...and I hope by GOD it goes the way DOOM 3 should have. Run'N'Gun and mowing down countless demons with the BFG or Super Shotgun, your guns DON'T reload, and that way it keeps most of the epic things about DOOM to it. I guess I am so old-school in that fashion, that if you are going to remake it and bring it back (correctly such as ROTT was. Apogee didn't screw up with their ROTT 13 remake. The game STILL doesn't take itself seriously and it is even more violent and ludricous then before, which is good! That is a remake done RIGHT!) then you need to keep some key elements that made the game awesome in the FIRST place.

doom 3 basically disgraced the name of DOOM. Doesn't deserve such a legendary title to it. I honestly felt like I was playing a watered down, modded, Resident Evil game...which I love Resident Evil...but if I want a scare factor...I would play Resident Evil, not DOOM. If I want mindless, murderous, demon-slaying, pure badass fun...thats DOOM.

So, all in all...DOOM 4 should return to what made DOOM epic to begin with. Run'N'Gunning, and obliterating anything that has a heart-beat of some sort. I want Imps, I want Arch-viles, I want Cyber-Demons, I want Spider Masterminds, I want an Icon of Sin, I want Mancubus, I want Pinky's and Deamons and what not. I want a visually updated, enhanced gameplay and gore graphics (kind of like Brutal DOOM mod) DOOM 4 that has the return of the ultimate gaming FPS badass...The DOOM Guy.

PS (Something HALO wish it could be. :P Yes I had to take a jab at that copy-cat game. Master Chief wishes he was that cool. XD )

I actually liked Doom 3 a lot. It had the same old feeling like the old Doom games, but it was just scary simply because the technology became better, they could make better graphics and make a engaging story. Most of the monsters in Doom 3 were actually the same ones from Doom games, but just a little more scarier and reworked. I want Doom 4 to be like Doom 3 and I want it to be scary...if it's not going to be scary but has all those monsters with guns, it's going to be like a copy-paste of Duke Nukem, but that's just my opinion. I liked that Doom 3 was scary and I hope this one will be too, but in all honesty, I don't think I can even be scared of Doom 3 again. When I see monsters with guns, I don't find it scary anymore. However when I see monsters from like Dead Space, who come to your face and try to eat you...now that is scary. Monsters and guns are more scarier for kids so I guess that's why I thought Doom 3 was scary...and because portal to hell.

I just hope Doom 4 will have some good story and gameplay, maybe be a little scary, but I doubt I will be scared if I see a demon with a laser gun attached to it's hands lol

Honsou_The_Warsmith likes this

I honestly applauded iD for taking the game in a different direction. Some of my best memories from DOOM 3 was wandering around with the flashlight out and stumbling into an enemy and freaking out so bad I forgot to switch to a weapon and instead just beat it down with the flashlight. I honestly hope that DOOM 4 is a return to the style of DOOM 3 because I enjoyed games that are like that for example Dead Space, The Suffering, F.E.A.R., and  Condemned: Criminal Origins.

I kinda laughed when I saw the Resident Evil reference because lets face it ever since RE4 they have given up on all pretense of horror. Now it's just Run and Gun till it's done. I can't feel threatened or scared when I'm Leon "Bang Bang Bang" Kennedy or Chris "Look at my Biceps" Redfield And I have things like the Hydra shotgun or the Hand Cannon which kills 99.9% of things with one hit. If they ever find a way to combine the horror of the first 3 with the graphics of today I would go back to that franchise. 

PS. Master Chief is awesome in his own way much as Gordon Freeman is.

Apex Spartan likes this

Hell, I hope they do manage to turn it into the old style of Doom 4. Doom 3 was good for me, but it didnt feel Doom like. I dont think Doom 3 should be called a travesty, imo. But everyone's entitled to their own opinion. 

Doom 3 was a great game and a very well done retelling of the story. Doom was never a run and gun game unless you tossed on cheat codes or scrambled through the levels to find the hidden super weapons. You start out with a pistol and a shotgun after all.

It was more of an action puzzle game with the doors and locks being your puzzles.

Sorry if your nostalgia for basic gameplay ruined your experience of Doom 3 but that doesn't make it a bad game. If anything, you should happy for the shot in the arm that it give the franchise.

And just a little aside, I think any game that puts you all alone in a station or complex of some sort filled with demons and monsters that are trying to kill you while you fight to escape can definitely be considered horror.

Run and gun.

No reloading.

Higher than average walk and run speeds.

Nonlinear maps for multiple approaches to objectives/keys.

No significant monster redesign.

Gibs. There must be monster specific gibs!

Icon of Sin if possible.

No fall damage.

Mod support!

Evil Demon Bunny Grenade, Pony Samurai Sword....other ridiculous things.

Edit: I voted for COD it to be a troll so sorry. 

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1288395#post1288395

Crosspost!

At one point there were at least 6-12 enemies infighting each other in one room. Caused a small FPS drop but looked awesome.

Undead marines. One Mancubus. Two Barons. Skeleton knights. Imps. 

Environments reminded me of Doom 3 but brighter. Looked like Quake 4 if I had to compare. Gorgeous bloody art. Ran well!

The melee combat seemed mostly contained to finishing moves. QTEs without the QTE. Seemed like one button random moves.

Was hard to tell. Seemed mostly linear but with big open areas for combat. Multi tiered encounters. Vertical for sure. Fastish.

Fought two barons of hell. Crazy AI. They'd climb after you. Swat away rockets. Flanked by smaller demons. Whole rooms full of demons.

Double jumping. Light parkour. BIG focus on melee combat and finishers. Sick finishers. RIP AND TEAR. HUGE GUTS.

Procedural dynamic damage on enemies. Chainsaw rips. Double barrel shotgun booms. Plasma rifle sounds of old. Rocket launchers kill mancubus

COLORED KEYS AND DOORS. ARMOR AND HEALTH PICKUPS. CATS AND DOGS LIVING TOGETHER. PANDEMONIUM. DOOM.

Seemed like mostly dark ominous stuff. Standard fare. Hard to tell. I was hoping for straight up Slayer.

There's a weapon wheel. HOLD ALL THE THINGS.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/07/17/a-lenghty-look-at-id-software_2700_s-new-doom.aspx - GameInformer's take.

Edit 2: Devs mention there will be a next gen console release, crowd boos. Awesome. Build it on the PC FIRST then port it, don't shaft us PC players with the opposite!

Heyyo,

Tbh? I loved Doom 3 Singleplayer... multiplayer on it was a joke though... 4 players max... and lagged worse than any FPS I've ever played. I swear I've seen even LESS lag on Quake III Arena on my 56k modem! :P

Multiplayer though, has been a joke on the ID Tech 4 and 5 Engine... terrible netcode... my only hope with Doom 4 is on ID Tech 6 Engine they fix the damn netcode! Or use the fixed netcode from Enemy Territory Quake Wars...

As for that Doom 4 snipplet? Melee combat with finishing move mini-cinema things? That's very different in a Doom game lol, but sure! If it's done right? I don't mind it... as long as it's not over-done. Mirror's Edge did it really well since it was in first-person point of view.. but does Doom 4 do it from third person or what?

Colored keys and doors? That's a neat old school feature I remember, especially in Duke Nukem 3D... everything's Red, Yellow and Blue in that game hahaha...

Procedural dynamic damage on enemies and gibs? That's a very welcomed addition... would make for some crazy moments heh.

Overall? Pretty exciting changes to the Doom formula... maybe I will end up checking out Doom 4...

As far as I can remember it, I've always been more of a Duke player, but would play Doom every now and again. Being a kid though I usually used cheats. Death always scared me for no reason.

As for what Doom 4 should be, I'd love something like the new Wolfenstein, only with Doom specific things. New Order was also somewhat linear, but with wide areas for multiple approaches.

I don't know, really. I'll see what I think of it when it comes out or more info is released, 'till then it's all speculation and wishful thinking.

ThE_MarD likes this

Heyyo,

As far as I can remember it, I've always been more of a Duke player, but would play Doom every now and again. Being a kid though I usually used cheats. Death always scared me for no reason.

As for what Doom 4 should be, I'd love something like the new Wolfenstein, only with Doom specific things. New Order was also somewhat linear, but with wide areas for multiple approaches.

I don't know, really. I'll see what I think of it when it comes out or more info is released, 'till then it's all speculation and wishful thinking.

LOL! Yeah I was the same way as a kid... it wasn't until Quake III Arena and Unreal Tournament 99 that made me realize it's not so bad dying so I stopped using cheats just to make the games more challenging... then again, sometimes even Duke Nukem 3D scared the shit out of me in those more dimly-lit levels. :P

As far as i know Doom 3 is a Remake or maybe even a Reboot of Doom 1. Doom 4 was meant to be a Remake/Reboot of Doom 2. Now they renamed Doom 4 in Doom. Will it be a remake/reboot of Doom 1 again? If yes than i hope it will be a mix between Doom 3 and the Original Doom 1. Slaying countless Demons in a run n gun Style with a pinch of Horror atmosphere.

Doom 4, we will have to wait and see. I have play Doom 1, Doom 2 hell on earth and Doom 3 and i love them all equally. You know what i didn't like?  Id's game Rage, that game is Zero fun. If Doom 4 can avoid that pit fall we will be good.

I think the developers just need to sit in a room with Infester's To the Depths, in Degradation on repeat as they do level design.

I loved all the dooms so far doom 3 was good but to me it seemed like it was them trying to show off their lighting system way too hard and once you got past the lighting syetm the game was still fun and kept you interested. I hope it is not pure run and gun because that is what to me Quake 4 was but a mixture wouldn't be bad I just hope they don't ruin it by doing the trend with alot of AAA games that have the action so focused the horror goes down the tube where it is just laughable like in my opinion what happened to the dead space or resident evil series.

I liked Doom 3, but I like the original Dooms with the Brutal Doom mod installed waaay better. If the descriptions of the QuakeCon trailer I've read are to be believed, it will be like Brutal Doom, complete with finishers and even more gore. If I get a PS4 soon, I'll probably join the Beta (I have a key from my copy of Wolfenstein).

Here's a link to one of the descriptions:

PC Gamer - Doom Revealed at QuakeCon 2014, and here's what we saw

EDIT: I thought I should clarify something: I'd rather play the PC beta as I hope to get a gaming computer soon, but the f*ckers made it so you couldn't switch platforms ie if you got Wolfenstein for Xbox you gotta play the Beta on on Xbox, if you got it for the Playstation (like I did) you gotta play the Beta on Playstation. IDK if all Betas are like this, as this is the first one I've had the means to join (I've gotten Beta keys for everything from Planetside 2 to Halo: Reach, but couldn't join because I didn't have internet when they were active).

I liked Doom 3, it had alot of good parts, but it was simply just more disappointing to be honest. It spent too much time trying to be a story-filled horror experience, when it honestly should've just been mostly a Demonic Genocide Simulator with some story added in.

Also I don't know who else wanted this, but I was wanting to go into Hell and possibly do most of the game in each of the different levels of hell, while facing stronger and more dangerous types of demons. Like... I was expecting to atleast face the Archvile again, one of the trickiest enemies we've ever faced in the first doom games. We didn't though.

I wanna just... In Doom 4, the Final Boss... It'd be AWESOME to literally fight Lucifer, or whatever else createdthe Archvile, a demon which can explode enemies internally and then turn around and revive his buddies to absolute full health, Not sure if he could revive Cyberdemons or the Spiderdemon.

So for Doom 4, all I wanna see is... Lets have a story event where every demon we've slain revives and combines into one mega pwoerful demon and walks the earth after we kill hell for a... another time. Or something.

Doom 3 was a travesty? Ha! Thats a new one I hadnt heard. Anyways, if you read about the Doom 4 demo that id showed to the people that went to Quakecon or whatever the event was I think youre going to be happy OP. I for one got excited reading it. I couldnt find the article on game informer but, I remember reading that during the demo, the player was indiscriminately taking out so many demons with that when he came up to this imp with the chainsaw, the imp got on to his knees and gestured with his hands "mercy" but, the player chainsawed it until only a bloody mess was left. That part got me laughing but, very eager to actually see Doom 4. What im telling you is that the article made it seem like Doom was going more into run and gun that you speak off. Not that it actually ever left that but, more like its veering off a little bit more in that direction this time around.

Doom 3 was badass and a great Doom game without a shadow of a reasonable doubt though. That intro always got me pumped to go to hell and obliterate demons. 

Goddamn, I still need to beat Resurrection of Evil and Doom 2 on the BFG edition, shit. In my defense I beat all that a long time ago already.

Just signed up for the PS4 beta. I am playing a lot of Brutal Doom to warm up.

Also the fact Zenimax/Bethesda did that bullshit exclusivity reveal at Quakecon in mid 2014 made me lose all interest in it. You do not do things like this expect everyone to stay tight longer for those who could not drop $1500 (I live in NE so it's estimate) or so to go to Texas to see this BS.

Let me know when they show some actual gameplay, not some lame pre-Quakecon teaser like they did previously for the tens of millions of Doom (not DOOM, that's lame buzzword bullshit corporate respelling.) fans who didn't have the privilege (or money to go to) of seeing 5 minutes of gameplay.

An agitated long time Doom fan,

-Glaice

If or when Doom 4 does go into full production and eventual release, I'd prefer it to be Horror game like Doom 3 with particular emphasis on immersion and atmosphere.

I'd like to see a mix of Doom, Doom II< Final Doom, and Doom 3.

Hear me out.

Doom 3 did do the horror aspect properly and had some run & gun elements to it (albeit, not a lot), but it was lacking the absolute staple of the earlier games in the franchise. The Puzzles. Look back at all of your favorite levels from I, II, and Final. It was a puzzle game with demons and awesome run & gun gameplay. It's not easy to capture that kind of magic, but I hope they can.

Well, as it all comes down to it...I see everyone has their opinion, and yea, DOOM may have been a horror game, but if you got a shotgun that can blow anything away - are you going to be scared?

I don't mind if they mix horror into the beloved franchise, but don't make it a key selling point of it is what I'm talking about.

I want something like the DOOM comic. Maybe something that could Rival the Brutal DOOM mod. (without the reloads of course, or do what ROTT 13 did, put em in, they don't do anything though.)

It is all nice and good to add a little flavor of horror into DOOM, but not the way DOOM 3 was as far as I see it. I played it, and enjoyed it, but I felt like I was playing a Resident Evil game with amped graphics and what not. I couldn't take it seriously as a DOOM game.

Nice turn out though, all the different opinions and what not.

I want some big bad ass scary mother fucking demons to kill, so mix of horror and run n gun