• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Jitterdoomer

U-Play needs to be removed from Steam

25 posts in this topic

Everytime I want to play some Ubisoft games on Steam, after launching via Steam, another program pops up and tells me to sign up again to play this game, turns out it was U-Play! It's kinda annoying because I don't need to create another account to play Ubisoft games! Same thing for Games for Windows to play GTA IV and its expansions. In an unrelated note, Capcom got rid of Games for Windows bullcrap for Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition and move their servers to Steamworks because of discontinuation of Gamespy. Ubisoft needs to do this!

LordMagus, Ysnar and Dyzzles like this

They won't because just like EA they don't want you to have fun.

Yep, this is a big problem when I as booting up Far Cry 3 to play it for the first time.  I have decided not to buy any more Ubisoft games on steam until (or if) they fix this.

Don't really see a problem there. Uplay has been around for some time now and if you think that Ubisoft will take it down, well, might as well await the end of the world sooner. Only problem I have with it is the constant syncing of files exiting a game, but that's minor.

7thFrost likes this

Uplay is absolutely useless but as Emphase said, it will stay. I don't really think about it much. It is just another launcher

Because of uplay I can't play the copy of splinter cell conviction I OWN ON STEAM, because I forgot the password to the account I registered it with on uplay, or it was hacked. I hate Uplay, and Ubisoft... and everything they do to the PC market.

Ysnar likes this

Because of uplay I can't play the copy of splinter cell conviction I OWN ON STEAM, because I forgot the password to the account I registered it with on uplay, or it was hacked. I hate Uplay, and Ubisoft... and everything they do to the PC market.

Isn't there a function to reset the password

That doesn't help when you have no way to prove you own the account.

It opens and closes it when you close the game, autologin is your friend, I don't get the whining. I can see someone being philosophically opposed to it but it's barely noticeable really.

Of course there is, everything has it.

It opens and closes it when you close the game, autologin is your friend, I don't get the whining. I can see someone being philosophically opposed to it but it's barely noticeable really.

It's the same thing as with Origin. People are used to Steam, so they are afraid of other companies coming into the market, trying to get a share of it. Anything different from the "original" is alien to most people and thus it's a source of fear.

Berserker likes this

Atleast Origin works. Uplay has a high chance of breaking after every update. And you really have to keep it up to date at all times or it breaks more because apparently doing full updates (full install with all necessary files) on a version that is multiple patches behind is too difficult to program.

Uplay will be fine in 3 years.

Never, and I mean never, had any technical problems with uplay over here, been using it for a few years now too.

It's the same thing as with Origin. People are used to Steam, so they are afraid of other companies coming into the market, trying to get a share of it. Anything different from the "original" is alien to most people and thus it's a source of fear.

Origin is more of a hassle since you can't launch it from Steam and it forcibly splits your digital game library(some people have serious OCD about this.), but uplay is almost unnoticeably integrated into Steam. So much so that I could see the argument for ending it but then again not enough for me to care at all.

I don't think the problem was that people feared the "alien" when Uplay repeatedly declined your login attempts and access to games you had bought because it claimed you had no internet connection when you did.

We are sick of extra invasive DRM on top of the DRM we already have, not afraid of Ubisoft. And Auron you personally might not have had any problems with Uplay, but a LOT of people have, including me. It's incredible what Ubisoft gets away with.

I would also recommend people to watch this video on Ubisoft's PC failures, that is all, I won't go overboard with this.

Recoveryanonymous and Ysnar like this

That doesn't help when you have no way to prove you own the account.

Huh? On the Ubisoft page should be a way to reset your password and they will send a link to your registered E-Mail adress

Well Origin started on a veeeeeeeeeeery bad foot with their EULA and data collection.

Don't really see a problem there. Uplay has been around for some time now and if you think that Ubisoft will take it down, well, might as well await the end of the world sooner. Only problem I have with it is the constant syncing of files exiting a game, but that's minor.

a Ubisoft rep recently said, which is on the internet if you search googles, that they are considering heavily on removing uplay altogether for their future games.

he said "why ruin the experience for people who do actually buy our games just to combat the people who are not going to buy it anyway - whether there is uplay or not, pirates are still going to pirate, and people who will purchase will still purchase. we want to focus on delivering the best possible experience for everyone and not let a minority ruin it for the vast majority".

2 things can happen out of what he said. 1 he will be fired. 2. it will happen.

Ysnar likes this

a Ubisoft rep recently said, which is on the internet if you search googles, that they are considering heavily on removing uplay altogether for their future games.

he said "why ruin the experience for people who do actually buy our games just to combat the people who are not going to buy it anyway - whether there is uplay or not, pirates are still going to pirate, and people who will purchase will still purchase. we want to focus on delivering the best possible experience for everyone and not let a minority ruin it for the vast majority".

2 things can happen out of what he said. 1 he will be fired. 2. it will happen.

And if UPlay does get removed, it'll make things easier for people especially PC gamers. I don't mind UPlay cause I consider it minor but for others, I share their pain.

i dont think they will ever get rid of it cause ubisoft thinks it stops pirates even tho its 100% not needed

That recent statement from Ubisoft about how DRM doesn't stop pirates was very curious. I'm worried that they're up to something. They might try and use their talking point of games as a service rather than a product to force more DRM in future titles; it wouldn't be framed as such though: A constant internet connection could be required for persistent mulitplayer in "living breathing worlds", for example.

I find the notion of not owning a game I purchase undesirable and maybe I'm just being paranoid, but something about Ubisoft's statement didn't seem genuine to me... Evidence of what they said has been lying around for years and they barely now come around to seeing reason? Either the statement reveals nothing but naivety or more likely nothing but PR until they act on it, honestly or otherwise.

I find UPlay an annoyance and inconvenience because the last thing I want is another program in the background running as I play a game such as Far Cry 3 or Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon. I'd rather it not be launched if I play these titles, and this is why I've not bothered with the games outside the occasional crashes which has made me draw away from the games despite I mostly bought FC3 due to Joe's review.

I find UPlay an annoyance and inconvenience because the last thing I want is another program in the background running as I play a game such as Far Cry 3 or Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon. I'd rather it not be launched if I play these titles, and this is why I've not bothered with the games outside the occasional crashes which has made me draw away from the games despite I mostly bought FC3 due to Joe's review.

But you don't notice it at all, it opens up loads up the game and it closes when you're done with it. I cannot fathom not buying a good game(they do make good games) because of what basically amounts to an extra window.

In the background, right? I'm one of those folks who still has 4GB RAM.

But you don't notice it at all, it opens up loads up the game and it closes when you're done with it. I cannot fathom not buying a good game(they do make good games) because of what basically amounts to an extra window.

it's really not. even if you set it to offline mode and turn off all notifications under uplay, load far cry 3, and turn off all uplay related notifications on the game options menu... you will see that when loading up the game every single time it has things like "synchronizing data, fetching this and that, downloading stats" shown at the bottom of the screen before the game even gets to the main menu despite telling it to go offline and leave you alone.

it's really not. even if you set it to offline mode and turn off all notifications under uplay, load far cry 3, and turn off all uplay related notifications on the game options menu... you will see that when loading up the game every single time it has things like "synchronizing data, fetching this and that, downloading stats" shown at the bottom of the screen before the game even gets to the main menu despite telling it to go offline and leave you alone.

That literally takes less than a minute man, I actually kind of like the uplay achievements and how they happen to reward you something even if it's little extras for the games.

In the background, right? I'm one of those folks who still has 4GB RAM.

I just checked, surprisingly uplay uses way more RAM than both Steam and Origin. Funilly enough still less than my browser, it shouldn't really affect performance that much though but if you're squeezing every last byte it might be time to consider some new RAM, it's really not expensive these days.