• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Kcdmgirl

Can you take a games console on an airplane?

31 posts in this topic

This is going to be a really weird question, but can you take a Ps3 on an airplane? I'm going to England soon for about 3 weeks and i wanted to bring my playstation over with me so that my friends and I can play it. However the new policies have been put into place saying that if you have an electronic device, it has to be able to switch on in order for it to go on the flight with you. Now obviously you can't switch a playstation on without it being plugged into the wall, and I don't want to get there just for my baby to be taken off of me :( 

Can anybody help?

I imagine this refers to carry on luggage only you would have to put a console in the hold. If you are concerened about losing it contact your travel insurance so that they know it was travelling with you.

You would have to check it in ($25.00 Fee on most airlines) They won't let you carry it on. They just started new regulations last week. You can't even carry on a Tablet, Phone or Lap Top anymore without powering it up at Security.

(LOL Yet you can carry on a ciggarrette lighter, WTF?!?!).

Just throw it in your suitcase and check the baggage, hassle free that way.

I prefer to take my gaming Laptop and my 360 controller while on board.

If they want to check it they will take you to the nearest wall socket and ask you to turn it on

Man, I am glad I do not travel by plane anywhere. Sounds like things have gotten slightly ridiculous.

You need to check with your airline. It's so different everywhere. Americans are super uptight about this stuff but Asia is pretty lax. Not too sure about EU. I've taken consoles and laptops as hand carry on Cathay Pacific going to/from Vancouver, Hong Kong, Taipei, and Seoul. 

I remember before 911 you could get on a plane with a Bag of weed in your pocket. Before 911 if someone didn't have a reason to search you , you could tell them no and just leave the airport! (You couldn't board teh plane but you could refuse and just walk away!).

I don't think people realize as horrible as 9/11 was the worst thing about it in retrospect was we willingly, because we were all scared, gave up all of our civil liberties! And we aint ever getting them back!

Put it in checked luggage and make sure it is surrounded by packaging material, either clothes or inside the box it came with, preferrably the latter (I made the mistake of doing the former once with my 360 and when I got my checked luggage there was a black smudge on it like someone rubbed a sharpie on it and one of the tabs that secure the hard drive was gone and the other one was snapped).

I traveled to multiple countries in Europe ( im from EU contry, Croatia) Africa, even Mexico.

Everytime I just put it my hand luggage, same as I would put any laptop. during the check in security check, you just take it out. They scan it and thats that.

No extra charge or anything. Nor was I ever stoped or questioned for tax pay or something like these.

So, yes you can travel with it normally

It depends on where you fly out from mostly. I was in a similar situation with a small pocket knife back in that short amount of time they allowed blades no longer than 2.36 inches on planes. Walked right through Airport Security in my hometown with the knife in my bag and no one took it away, I asked them about it and they literally told me "Oh yeah that's cool" and let me through.

However when I flew back home from San Francisco their Security took the knife out and threw it away as it "Wasn't allowed on airplanes" despite meeting regulations at the time. Officially TSA personnel stationed at any airport all follow the same regulations, Unofficially however they all have their own "personal" regulations which thankfully for me didn't include groping unruly travelers at the time.

So I'd recommend you just check it in for the extra fee and get insurance in case it's lost because you can replace a 3$ pocket knife but... a 500$ gaming console? Probably not so easily.

you can, but watch out for stuff like this

Haha, those morons probably didn't even take out the right parts. And even if they did it wouldn't matter, IT'S OFF! Electrical devices can only interfere with other Electrical devices when they're ON!

Also, I honestly don't understand why they still make us follow that heinous belief that "Electronic Devices like cellphones interfere with the Aircraft" because that's been proven wrong numerous times. Why can't they be more direct like me and tell passengers what the real reason for turning them off is "I'm the airline attendant, I'm here to inform you about safety protocols and your devices take your attention away from me. SHUT THEM OFF AND LISTEN!"

Also, I honestly don't understand why they still make us follow that heinous belief that "Electronic Devices like cellphones interfere with the Aircraft" 

It's because you listen and follow to whatever they say. Don't follow it nor listen, you know it won't interfere and since it is a human right to access the internet just keep stating that over and over again. But, if they try and take it then you can classify that as stealing. 

It's because you listen and follow to whatever they say. Don't follow it nor listen, you know it won't interfere and since it is a human right to access the internet just keep stating that over and over again. But, if they try and take it then you can classify that as stealing. 

Hello? Did you read the part about how they should be more direct? I think it's a better idea than stuffing that "Interference" crap into our ears.

I remember before 911 you could get on a plane with a Bag of weed in your pocket. Before 911 if someone didn't have a reason to search you , you could tell them no and just leave the airport! (You couldn't board teh plane but you could refuse and just walk away!).

I don't think people realize as horrible as 9/11 was the worst thing about it in retrospect was we willingly, because we were all scared, gave up all of our civil liberties! And we aint ever getting them back!

Okay, let's not turn this into a political thread.

I want to take it to the UK, the thing I'm worried about is that I cannot turn it on because it has to be plugged into a wall in order to be turned on, and I'm afraid they wont listen and take my baby away from me :( 

I once took an entire computer and a monitor and had absolutely no problems, long as it doesn't go over the weight limits that overcharge you it was fine, not sure now and much less in Europe though. Calling them beforehand will surely be efficient in finding out.

I want to take it to the UK, the thing I'm worried about is that I cannot turn it on because it has to be plugged into a wall in order to be turned on, and I'm afraid they wont listen and take my baby away from me :(

Why don't you call the airport, or airline and ask them before leaving?

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/262685/Travelling_to_the_UK.pdf

i have no idea where or who told you what you said here or in your original post, but as far as UK law is concerned, you are allowed to bring in electrical goods as stated on page 10 of this PDF from the UK border force and is from the official UK gov website - i would trust it. Germany being in the EU would have to comply with the same laws and regulations on air traffic as the UK does i.e. going from UK to Germany or Germany to UK makes no difference in the experience you should expect from security and customs.

however, as clearly stated on page 10, you have an allowance of £390 for electrical goods in total without paying any duty / tax. this includes consoles, controllers, stereo headsets and so on.

you MUST declare any electrical items you bring here, i.e. your PS3. if the overall worth of all your electrical goods you bring in, which includes your console, controllers, stereo headset, smartphone, tablet, phablet, anything you have on you under the sun that is "electronic goods" and if the overall value is more than £390, then you will have to pay tax on the spot at the customs / security office as you are leaving baggage claim, right before you enter the arrivals.

not declaring these any and all of these items can easily result in either tax taken and a fine ontop for trying to evade customs or confiscation of any or all your items and a fine slapped on top as well.

in other words, you can bring your stuff, you won't be told to turn it on otherwise can't bring it. maybe these rules apply to americans because that's their country's air traffic law but over here i have never heard of any EU citizen being told to ditch an electronic product because it won't turn on.

the most you will have to do, such as one other fellow poster has already said in the thread, is take it out and put it in a seperate tray as it goes through the scanner at security, and then your jacket and hand luggage bag and belt and wallet and so on goes into another tray. after it's passed the security scanner and comes out the other side you just take it and pack it back up again in your bag - that's as far as it goes. so long as the scanner doesn't pick up a bomb, knife, or drugs, or any other contraband inside your PS3 you will be able to bring it.

i traveled within the EU by air last May and no one here told me to turn on my smartphone and tablet at security. at most you may have to pay some tax to bring everything in, but if it's not above that value you won't have to pay anything.

in other words, you can bring your stuff, you won't be told to turn it on otherwise can't bring it. maybe these rules apply to americans because that's their country's air traffic law but over here i have never heard of any EU citizen being told to ditch an electronic product because it won't turn on.

It's a "law" born out of fear. They're worried someone will take all the components out of, say, a PS3 and replace them with components to a bomb. Or drugs. Or what have you. If the thing doesn't turn on, they assume that there's a nefarious reason for it.

It's a "law" born out of fear. They're worried someone will take all the components out of, say, a PS3 and replace them with components to a bomb. Or drugs. Or what have you. If the thing doesn't turn on, they assume that there's a nefarious reason for it.

we got machines that could look through peoples clothing for goodness sake. All they gotta do is use a xray to snoop in it. Heck, you can place a c4 in a xbox 360 without taking anything out and have it still be able to run and everything. Seeing the device turn on means nothing in-terms of whether it 'being a bomb or not'. Just xray it like you do with luggage bags, that is all you gotta do. it turning on means nothing nor does it tell me anything besides the device is functional. 

Also, yes, I did rant alittle bit there. But it is mostly because I find the 'turn on' checking for electronics rather baka. 

every airport in the EU pretty much has large security scanners that have baggage and electrical items go through on trays on a roller system - it will absolutely pick up a console with removed parts replaced with things for a bomb such as a detonator and explosives and so on. there's no way it would not pick it up, so why do they still have that law? if the scanner's going to tell them the PS3 is not a bomb, why still throw it away if it can't turn on? Makes no sense at all.