• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
(AJSA)JD

The Term Hardcore Gamer Really Bother's me

31 posts in this topic

I dont know why gamer's give them selve's title's like casual or hardcore cause in the end were all just gaming putting the term hardcore doesnt make you look cool but that's just my opinion when in all complete honesty there is nothing hardcore about gaming in general  lets look at the meriam definition of the verb gaming just because you play or know more about video game's doesn't really make you more of a gamer Angry Joe Doesn't call himself a "hardcore gamer" "or casual gamer" your just an ordinary gamer know matter how intensive your knowledge is stop entitling your selves why does there have to be this level of status of what type of gamer you are ? it just really bothers me. 

sorry i was on my soap box lately gaming is dry so you know....rants......

:  the practice of gambling
a :  the playing of games that simulate actual conditions (as of business or war) especially for training or testing purposes

b :  the playing of video games

I see that you used key words to search for that thread.

The words "what" "make" and "gamer" actually.

Sol Omega likes this

I dunno, I think people are being pretty...Judgmental about this. I personally consider myself a hardcore gamer, But I don't say this because I think that makes me special, nor do I think that necessarily makes me a better gamer, nor do I think it's a title, or something to make people respect me more. It's none of that at all. The thing about gaming is that it's not as respected by society (here in NA at least) like sports are. There are e-sports in the world yes, but the level of availability  for someone to game professionally is practically non-existent compared to physical sports.

I don't make money playing games, people don't hire me to play games, but I think I can honestly say that my level of dedication towards gaming would grant me "professional" (not in terms of skill, I mean as a career) status if it were a physical sport, with the resources, community support, etc, etc as physical sports have.

Casual gamers aren't people I look down on, and they aren't something I say as an insult. In fact, I love bowling, but I rarely do it, and I effing suck at it, but I still love it. I'm a casual bowler, and quite frankly I think it is strength of character that allows someone to enjoy something even if they are bad at it (People who only like what they're good at are pretty shallow IMO). But that's going off topic, hardcore gaming has nothing to do with being good or skilled or whatever. It's just a matter of playing alot, researching it (and I don't just mean reviews, but tables, statistics, wiki stats, etc, etc). This isn't about being a "real" gamer or a "Fake" one, it's just a matter of how much of my life I invest towards gaming, the time, energy, thought, research, cash, etc.

Some people dedicate the same level of dedication towards a single game as I do in the industry. I don't really consider them hardcore gamers. They aren't lesser human beings, or inferior, or any of that. They simply are just dedicated to that one game. I mean there are "foodies" who love eating out, trying new meals, learning new recipes, trying new spices, sauces, accompaniments, etc...Then there's the guy who eats 50 hot dogs a day, wins hot dog eating contests, makes an actually good cheese-stuffed chili dog with some sauce nobody knows htf to replicate...He's not a foodie, he's a hardcore hot-dog guy or whatever. Same thing with gaming and people who are always playing CoD, or Counterstrike, or Smash bros or whatever.

Well there are casual gamers and there are hardcore gamers, I don't know why the term bothers you because it's something real...

I'll use myself as an example.

I've been playing Counter-Strike for 13 years, I've played it competitively for 12 of that time off and on for 17 league seasons and most of my time in game was pushing myself to attain the best of my abilities in game, learn as much as possible and strive to be someone in the community that people come to for help or knowledge.

That would be the definition of a hardcore gamer, now let us look at what a casual gamer would be in the same game.

A casual gamer would be the polar opposite of the above for the most part, they don't invest the time into actually trying to get better at the game or really learning more. They don't seek out advanced play such as competing in a league, they play just to have fun and they do the same things over and over again and keep repeating the same mistakes.

To this person it's just another game they play, they could love it and all but it's not something they're so die hard about they will invest that kind time, energy or effort into. Most of the time these people really suck at whatever game it is, and even if they try they don't ever really get better because they stay in their bubble/comfort zone of play.

This could be playing with the same bad people constantly or on the same server day in and day out never learning anything new, never really being challenged by much better players and so on. Casual gamers fit into every definition of the word, they play the game casually and that is usually all they will ever do.

DC85 (just imagine I quoted your big paragraph about casual gamers here. Saves on space).

I would respectfully disagree with your definition of a casual gamer.

I would define a casual gamer as someone who is not really interested in the games scene- only maybe picks up one or two games a year - doesn't follow stuff like E3 and in general is not massively interested in video games. To them it's just another entertainment avenue like movies or TV. I have even heard people describe themselves as a gamer because they play Plants vs Zombies or Angry Birds on their phone. To me these are casual gamers.

What you seemed to describe is someone who is not into competitive play and instead plays games for enjoyment. If someone asked me if I was a hardcore gamer I would say yes - one of the reasons that I generally don't play the same game to a professional or semi professional level is that I'm always checking out the next game.

That being said the only game I would describe myself as a Hardcore Player of would be Street Fighter 4 as this is the game that I return to time and time again and get excited at watching evo finals and try and get better at by watching other people and studying techniques. I simply can't afford to invest this time and effort into a lot of other games.

I don't agree with DC85 at all. Just because someone plays a game casually in terms of investment and time doesn't mean they are unwilling to learn, and are making the same mistakes over and over. Good job supporting the op's point.

To me part of the fun of games is learning how to get better at them. Obviously as you get better and better at a particular game, you learn less and less over time. Not saying you will learn absolutely everything there is to learn. But if you're really good at a game, chances are you'll have to bump into hundreds of other players before you find one who you can learn something from. This is partially why I personally enjoy playing all kinds of games. To me I feel enjoyment being able to beat a game on hard or very hard or whatever, and after that, if I REALLY like the game in particular, I may go beyond that, but generally I find that I will enjoy learning another game to the same level instead afterwards.

Sometimes I will go back to those older games I learned a fair amount from and still remember most of what I learned, generally my muscle memory will be rusty but that's about it. Fact is, very often, I'll look at a wiki, and a forum, and theorycrafting for a game within a DAY of playing it, and sometimes I find out I don't even like the game enough to keep playing a couple days after that. Obviously I'm Casual for many specific games, but still a hardcore gamer in general IMO.

I feel it's subjective. Hardcore/casual it's all based on a persons perspective.

I play games almost all of my free time, but I don't play any one genre. SO given how much time I invest playing games am I hardcore? If I don't focus and master any particular game am I casual?

In my circle of friends I probably would be considered hardcore but I wouldn't stand a chance in tournament. I like to play first person shooters on a regular basis (BF4 right now) but i'm a big RPG fan, a genre with next to no competitive play unless it's added as secondary function (Tomb Raider, Last of Us for example).

In short I probably think if you refer to yourself as hardcore/casual it's more a statement of how you think of yourself as a gamer and not an actual fact.

Can we just say that those who play "F2P" Mobile games are casuals?

I think Totalbiscuit answered this question once and I think his answer sums up what is and what is not a casual or hardcore gamer. If I remember correctly, TB's point of view was that being 'hardcore' isn't about how often, how much or how interested you are in gaming as a whole but about what role gaming takes on in your day-to-day life. If you plan your daily activities around gaming, rather than gaming around your daily activities, you can be considered a hardcore gamer.

I would disagree with the fact that a casual gamer cannot be invested in the industry or a particular game or genre at all. I'd like to use myself as an example: I've just finished my first year in college, but it demanded a lot of my dedication and my time. Because of this, I haven't been able to play nearly as much games as I used to play. But in the meantime I have been keeping up with what's going on in the industry, I've been posting on forums dedicated to gaming, I've been replaying The Witcher 2 on dark mode so I could start TW3 with those awesome dark armour sets.. I've been keeping up with what I love to do, but according to TB's point of view I'm not a hardcore gamer, which makes me a casual gamer. I guess.

Personally, I think that there's a misconception among people that consider gaming to be an actual hobby, being that people who only play mobile games or the very big AAA games consider themselves to be gamers. Our hobby is exponentially branching out into the 'mainstream' and more and more people come into contact with a particular bit of software that they enjoy to interact with. People who are passionate about football (No 'Murica, Handegg is NOT football.) probably don't consider people who have a bit of fun outside with a ball to be 'casual footballers'. I'm not quite sure then why we dictate that people who don't consider gaming to be a big part of who they are to be 'casual gamers'. 

Oh, and OP:

Zero_Punctuation_logo.png

Casual gamers mean that Gaming is just a hobby to them, and they just play it on the side of their real life.

Hardcore gamers have gaming as their primary hobby and majority of their days the spend in front of a computer/console.

People calling themselves hardcore and casual just shows their orientation towards gaming. Nothing more and nothing else. Not sure why it bothers you that much?

Ickis99 likes this

It bothers me too!

Seems like those who refer to themselves as "Hardcore Gamers" often only play one or two games! For example, My social circle is constantly busting my balls, saying that I am a casual gamer.

My argument is that variety is the spice of life, that actually I am the hardcore gamer and they are the casuals! I have played thousands of different video games but because I do not play one particular video game for 40 hours a week for months at a time (Call of Duty) or play it on extreme difficulties or have a high standing on leader boards I am casual.

Yet, they have played 2-3 games over the course of time that I have played and enjoyed a 150 different titles!

So who is more hardcore? The guy that played and experienced 50 different titles last year or the guy that Prestiged 7 times in Call of Duty and reached level cap in Battlefield but only played two titles?

It bothers me too!

Seems like those who refer to themselves as "Hardcore Gamers" often only play one or two games! For example, My social circle is constantly busting my balls, saying that I am a casual gamer.

My argument is that variety is the spice of life, that actually I am the hardcore gamer and they are the casuals! I have played thousands of different video games but because I do not play one particular video game for 40 hours a week for months at a time (Call of Duty) or play it on extreme difficulties or have a high standing on leader boards I am casual.

Yet, they have played 2-3 games over the course of time that I have played and enjoyed a 150 different titles!

So who is more hardcore? The guy that played and experienced 50 different titles last year or the guy that Prestiged 7 times in Call of Duty and reached level cap in Battlefield but only played two titles?

Both are Hardcore. Yours and your friends main hobbies are Gaming hence you're both hardcore. Just one is a focus gamer and the other is a variety gamer. I'm a variety gamer myself though I can turn into a focus gamer if I find something that I really like. Recently similar to The Witcher 2 and some visual novels.

I think a hardcore gamer is when you do more than just play a game, it's more like you buying toys and posters and all that other shit.

Casual gamers mean that Gaming is just a hobby to them, and they just play it on the side of their real life.

Hardcore gamers have gaming as their primary hobby and majority of their days the spend in front of a computer/console.

People calling themselves hardcore and casual just shows their orientation towards gaming. Nothing more and nothing else. Not sure why it bothers you that much?

Going by that logic I'm a hardcore gamer despite the fact that I watch more anime and surf net than I play games. But that might be due to the fact that I can't really afford new games. 

Before looking at the words "hardcore gamer", we should look at the word "gamer". Lately more and more it's being used as a label for people who enjoy playing video games despite how often and how much. Now, I don't know about you, but personally I don't like being labeled. I'm not a merchandise. In all honesty, word "gamer" doesn't hold any worth to me. I just like to play video games without delving into the all the details and what not. Games are nothing more than a pass time entertainment. Sure, there are competitive games that actually are the source of income for some people (e.g. Starcraft 2) and only then I can understand the word "gamer" as the player is not an athlete (Riot is dumb, sod off), but a person who learns every aspect of a game in order to be the best (like no one ever was) which is precisely like an athlete who focuses on a single sport in order to become a champion or what-not.

With all that said, I rarely pay any attention to people who go around throwing words like "hardcore gamer" or "gamer" in general.

This is what I think about the differences between a hardcore player and a casual player:

• Hardcore Gamers: they play games from start to finish and get 100% completion of the game they buy, regardless of it being terrible of not. This means If they own it then they get 100% completion in it, period. 
  • Casual Gamers: everyone else

It bothers me too!

Most definitely the guy dedicated to a single game, sometimes I wish I could play Starcraft all year 'round without breaks, I'd be much better at Strategy gaming. Same with fighting games and FPS. 

But either way, casual was a term coined to define farmville players and people who do not belong or care to belong to gamer culture but might play wow, cod or again farmville. 

Seriously, read Variloh's Thread.

This is what I think about the differences between a hardcore player and a casual player:

• Hardcore Gamers: they play games from start to finish and get 100% completion of the game they buy, regardless of it being terrible of not. This means If they own it then they get 100% completion in it, period. 
  • Casual Gamers: everyone else

Lol then 99% of the gamers aren't hardcore gamers in your opinion? A person who plays games for 20 hours a day and can't do anything else. But if he doesn't get a 100% he's not a hardcore gamer.. xD Kinda think you should widen up that description.. I mean.. Maybe make it so that atleast 99% completion makes you a hardcore gamer! :)

But anyways. I still think a hardcore gamer is a gamer who plays games as a primary hobby, they can either play 1 game for 20 hours a day, or 20 games for 20 hours a day. You're a hardcore gamer either way. If you play 1 game for 4 hours a day and most of the time you're out with your friends then I'd say that he's a casual gamer cause gaming is a side-activity.

I'd say...it just deals with your enjoyment of gaming. It's your hobby, and a dedicated one that is a major part of your life. But it's a subjective thing really I guess, I don't think there's any one definition of what makes someone a hardcore gamer.

I'd kind of have to agree with the OP's points but it's not somthing that really bothers me.  Personally, I go through faces of both.  Sometimes I can sit and play obsesively for hours every day and other times I'll just play for half an hour and then watch TV of go to youtube or something.  Call me hardcore, call me casual either way I'm not bothered.

Can we just say that those who play "F2P" Mobile games are casuals?

LOL, I think we can all agree that anyone who uses their Phone or Tablet for gaming is Casual....hell I would argue they don't even qualify for Casual...they are Ultra Light Gamers.