• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Linkfan3

Bullshit Pre-Order Bonuses

44 posts in this topic

Now pre-order bonuses can be pretty cool, like getting another game if you pre-order a new game coming out, that's awesome, but then there are Pre-Orders that only gives you an exclusive skin or weapon that no one else can get, while it sounds cool, I don't think it can hold up for the entire playthrough of said game, isn't really worth it, and stupid that some games don't allow other players to acqire those items (for the most part, I think some item bonuses are only exclusive to Pre-Orders I'm not 100% sure, correct me if I'm wrong) but what pre-order bonuses did you think was just pointless or bullshit

I haven't pre-ordered much in recent memory, but I think Dragon Age 2 came with some pointless shop if you pre-ordered. (Could be wrong, might be DLC)

Nothing pissed me off more than WWE 2K14 last year. I don't preorder games, there's always enough copies, there is no point. If you pre ordered WWE 2K14, you got Ultimate Warrior. In previous WWE games, if you bought a new copy, the code for said character was always in the case. I didn't pre order WWE, but i bought it on day one, and no Warrior, only pre orders and it was on the reciept as a code. I buy the game day one, and if i want Warrior i have to pay two or three bucks.

The only good preorder bonuses are from Atlus.

Silverfox likes this

On one hand, I think pre-order bonuses are shit. On the other, I really want to see how far companies can go with this BS. One day, you will be able to buy a $10,000 pre-order and have sex with a hooker cosplaying as the main character.

One day, you will be able to buy a $10,000 pre-order and have sex with a hooker cosplaying as the main character.

I bet I could get that cheaper right now. I mean come on 10K for a game and a night with a hooker? Unless it's on a game related set...

Why isn't somebody making this a legitimate business? Apart from the first few obvious reasons.

The pre-orders I think are BS are the ones that give players unfair advantages. For instance, Destiny is having a pre-order bonus where you can get Vanguard level items on Day One. In a game where there will be PVP why would you give some players access to powerful gear from the start?

Cybermat47 and oogie386 like this

I bet I could get that cheaper right now. I mean come on 10K for a game and a night with a hooker? Unless it's on a game related set...

Why isn't somebody making this a legitimate business? Apart from the first few obvious reasons.

Well, I am not familiar with hooker pricing but I'd imagine they have to also pay for the trip to Nevada and the stay.

i only pre order games i know won't be available the next day if i didn't get it on day 1. GTA5 is a prime example. it was indeed sold out within 24 hours at my local store and it was a week wait before they got any new stock.

either that or... games on steam often go up for pre order and are cheaper IF you pre order them. when the game goes on sale it might be £39.99 but you could have got it for £31 if you pre ordered it. (alien isolation). so in this case, i also consider these for pre order. i don't really care about the free stuff that comes with, i just want it cheaper or first if i will be handicapped for a week if i don't pre order a game.

Variloh likes this

I've rarely seem a decent pre-order bonus, it's usually a skin or some "special weapon" pack. Deus Ex HR actually had a cool extra mission with Tracer Tong which was later packed into a pretty cheap DLC(DLC for HR being of the rare worthwhile kind.) but I can't off the top of my head mention any other pre-order bonus that I've enjoyed. There was Imperials in TESO but TESO wasn't that great to begin with, I suppose gating significant content behind pre-orders is worrisome but I can't name many other games that did that.

I am of the opinion that in-game pre-order bonuses are bullshit. The Witcher 3 is the only game in recent memory to get pre-order bonuses right. No extra in-game items or quests or anything. Purely physical and out-of-game digital items, as well as a 10% discount (up to 20% if you have the previous games in the series). That may still not be enough to convince some to take such a risk, but it sure as fuck beats cutting content from the game.

HeroEightyTwo and Puntosmx like this

Pre-ordering in itself is a bullshit idea. The game's not even out yet and there's no solid info on it except some promises from the dev and/ or publisher. I've ever only pre-ordered Borderlands 2. I kind of regret to it to some degree as it's not much fun for longer periods and without the dlc it's a waste of time, but I wouldn't have the game otherwise.

Okay so here's where I stand on this - getting access to the games Beta or another hotaly anticipated game Beta is a prettuy decent pre-order bonus as is free single player content or DLC. 

The list of Bullshit DLC includes

Character Skins

Multiplayer Maps (that shit should be free for everyone)

"A special gun" Because these are almost always just a reskin. 

Multiplayer advantages: 

The pre-orders I think are BS are the ones that give players unfair advantages. For instance, Destiny is having a pre-order bonus where you can get Vanguard level items on Day One. In a game where there will be PVP why would you give some players access to powerful gear from the start?

Wel.... to get you to preorder. Also is there an addition where they just give you this or do you mean you can earn them in the Beta?

Okay so here's where I stand on this - getting access to the games Beta or another hotaly anticipated game Beta is a prettuy decent pre-order bonus as is free single player content or DLC. 

Character Skins

Multiplayer advantages: 

Wel.... to get you to preorder. Also is there an addition where they just give you this or do you mean you can earn them in the Beta?

I think its just a pre-order bonus, they didn't really specify what on their FB post. I've been playing the Beta and so far the Vanguard weapons have been level 20 as well.

I kind of think preorder bonuses should be largely cosmetic or purely early start boosts. Otherwise you miss out on something if you purchase later on or feel pressured to buy a game you're not sure of because you don't want to miss out if it is good.

The latest one ive seen is this for Batman Arkham Knight:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-24-batman-arkham-knights-red-hood-story-pack-is-a-gamestop-exclusive?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

I mean a story based DLC, not just a skin so you can wander around as Harley or Red Hood but actual content. Ripped away from the game to entice you to preorder or buy from that particular store. I've always said these situations mean you're buying only 90% of a game but still paying full price. If it's available at launch it should be a part of the game and if not released as DLC to everyone at the usual DLC price.

A good bonus I remember was Dragonage Origins. Which I don't think was a preorder bonus but you could buy a decent set of armour in game but it had a level and strength requirement so you were near the end of the game before you received it. There were other armours you could buy comparable to it I suppose so it didn't take away from the game if you didn't get the bonus.

Character Skins

As a fan of RPG's, I can't agree on the character skins/armors. I like having as much variation as possible with my characters. It helps to add a bit I replay ability in my mind. I'm big on aesthetics.

I can agree on the gun thing, though. What if it's a gun I don't end up liking the feel of or can't get used to?

I'll take exclusive skins, characters, quests, mounts, it maps... So long as they ~stay~ exclusive.

I kind of think preorder bonuses should be largely cosmetic or purely early start boosts. Otherwise you miss out on something if you purchase later on or feel pressured to buy a game you're not sure of because you don't want to miss out if it is good.

to be fair that is the whole POINT of preorder bonuses. The company want you to feel pressured into buying.

As a fan of RPG's, I can't agree on the character skins/armors. I like having as much variation as possible with my characters. It helps to add a bit I replay ability in my mind. I'm big on aesthetics.

Actually hadn't considered RPG's so much in this - more like the Arkham games where you get a different batsuit depending on who you preordered with. But makes no change to the gameplay and even then you have to complete the game first to use it.

Actually hadn't considered RPG's so much in this - more like the Arkham games where you get a different batsuit depending on who you preordered with. But makes no change to the gameplay and even then you have to complete the game first to use it.

The Arkham series is a perfect way of how ~not~ to do DLC skins. If I preordered to get the skins, there shouldn't be any barrier between me and those skins. And with the Arkham games that have linear stories and no alternate endings, why would I play it again?

If a game is going to offer any in-game item for a preorder, you should have access to it right off the bat.

Pun intended.

I beleive Retailer Exsclusive Game Content is COMPLETE BULLSHIT! The reason is, as a consumer and a Gamer I feel FORCED to Purchase a game from Target, or Game Stop. Not because I want to, because I have to, Otherwise I am depriving myself of content and getting less value for my money.

Even though I would completely prefer to Trade my games in and do business with an Indepently owned Game Store, and support them knowing the service is better, The Trade Values are better and I prefer to do my business there....I am not going to support them to the point of getting a version of a game missing substantial content than can only be offered at Game Stop.

I remember I ran into this at Walmart...It was Battlefield 3 and they had the only copies of it (Where I lived) that included the Free Back To Karkhand map set or somethng like that. Even though, I wanted to get it at an Independent, Their version of the game didn't have it!!!

Game Stop didn't have any left and eventually I was forced to buy it at Walmart. The absolute last place on earth I wanted to buy a Video Game from.

I think that pre-order exclusive dlc is completely ludicrous. It means taking development time from the content that every player who buys the game gets. Now, if it's content from a large publisher, and it gives you beta access to some other game that publisher is releasing, I'm fine with that, as it is less likely to take away from the game that you did preorder. 

However, my main opinion on preorders is that it should just give you a discount for your leap of faith on the game being good.

By_zeus_beard and Silverfox like this

I  dont think any pre-order stuff is BS.  Im getting something for free because i pre-ordered a game i was going to buy anyway even if there was no bonus.

Silverfox likes this

The weirdest pre-order bonus I can think of was for Watch Dogs. Just hear me out on this.

The bonus at GameStop was a code to increase the amount of money you recieve from hacking ATMs. In the game there is a skill / talent that increases the amount of money you recieve from hacking ATMs. On the Uplay points redemption page there is a reward for 20 points or something that increases the amount of money recieve from hacking ATMs.

And yet in the actual game you can simply hack cars and loot guns to unlock them without having to purchase anything aside from additional ammunition.

When I was a CoD fan. (When people remember that) Black ops 2 brought out the pre order bonus. You got nuke town on zombies if you had pre ordered it and bought it on the midnight launch. I'm sorry but I have better things to do than go to a mid night launch just to get some stupid map than I'm hardly ever going to play due to the fact it is not built for zombies. Even after they did that pre order bonus. The map came out for everybody a couple of months after.....