• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

JoelMattGarcia

So AC: Unity finally has a female character

18 posts in this topic

Why finally? If a female char fits there is one if not there is not.. just like a male char. Never got that discussion. It's the wrong kind of feminism

Emphase and Star-Lord like this

Why finally? If a female char fits there is one if not there is not.. just like a male char. Never got that discussion. It's the wrong kind of feminism

I think the main argument is that if there's co-op, there should be a male character and a female character to choose from.

I can't really disagree with that sentiment.

Having to pay more for this character, however ...

But you'e right: If they tried to shoehorn a female main character into a setting where she doesn't fit, that'd be BS. This isn't that though.

PRE-ORDER? God dammit Ubisoft, this is not how you do business!

amusing, making the only female character a Pre-Order exclusive. 

Ubisoft never ceases to make baka decisions, even when I think they couldn't make a even more baka one they do.

Is this pre-order bonus for a playable character or a supporting character to appear? If it's not a playable character, then there's no "finally" about this. There's been a female supporting character in Assassin's Creed since III, with Connor's mother and the tribe's doctor. And then again in Black Flag, there was the woman you get as a first mate on your ship after Adewale (forgot her name). This just looks like you get the statue, the in-game items and maybe a side mission where you play as Arno and have to do something for her, but I'm just speculating at this point.

Anyone else smell the subject for the next Jimquisition?

Thank GOD for me!

IrishRogue likes this

I dont get it, its just a statue right? Or playable in MP? Where does it say that? Seems to me like the trailer was just announcing some female character and that some version of the game will have her statute.

Okay basically the argument is that there are not that many new strong female characters in games - when AC:U announced it was co-op it was a bit foa  surprise to see that it was a sausage fest and the feeling was basically "would it have killed them to have had one woman in the mix?"

Hence the finally.

I dont get it, its just a statue right? Or playable in MP? Where does it say that? Seems to me like the trailer was just announcing some female character and that some version of the game will have her statute.

if it was only in MP then it wouldn't make sense to make it a pre-order selling point. Plus, if you read the fine print it says "includes additional digital content to be redeemed in Assassins Creed Unity" in the video and in that same video they even tried to do a easter egg'ish thing and even tied the character into having a relation with the main character. So, this was a pretty thought out plan for just a simple 'hey, a new MP character' and this is ubisoft's Assassin's Creed we are talking about, not portal or something where this stuff is common. but hey, whatever makes it work for them. Oh, and that easter egg thing is at 2:18 of the video, the thing flashed for 1 frame is this in-case you couldn't see it fast enough.

S1XXHvN.jpg

One must have something wrong with his head if he thinks that a game depends on the main protagonists gender. Of course, there's the argument that the character has to fit the universe, but personally I don't care much for that. Might as well play a tranny for all I care. Not to mention that the main protagonist hardly ever plays the main role in any story. He's just there to, well, be there and solve shit for others. At least as of late, though it appears that some devs are starting to actually pick up their asses and make more decent stories.

Star-Lord likes this

One must have something wrong with his head if he thinks that a game depends on the main protagonists gender. Of course, there's the argument that the character has to fit the universe, but personally I don't care much for that. Might as well play a tranny for all I care. .

A characters gender plays a massive part in who they are as a person- especially in a time period piece like Assassins Creed where gender roles were vastly different to how they are today. Oh and nice LBGT sensitivity bro.

Not to mention that the main protagonist hardly ever plays the main role in any story. He's just there to, well, be there and solve shit for others

You don't get how Narrative works. The above statement is only true of games like Skyrim or WoW where the player character is just an avatar for the player and has no personality outside that.

Berserker and Verethragna like this

Oh and nice LBGT sensitivity bro.t.

Errr, what? :D I've never quite understood that abbreviation.

Errr, what? :D I've never quite understood that abbreviation.

Lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgender.

the term "tranny" can be offensive to trans people

So after all of that discussion and lies from Ubisoft it turns out that the female character actually fits? That's the thing. There have been female assassins in AC games before, and when people asked why they didn't have one in Unity. Instead of "Well it's not currently the main focus, but we might put it in later.". They started bullshitting about "how much is required to put in a female character". All of those bullshit reasons were obvious lies that they thought we should be OK with, and then came a good amount of game devs who actually said "it's not that hard you can use the same animations on them as the male characters, there's no problems with it and if you have female character models in the game as well, it doesn't take too much work putting them in different clothes and giving them the same animations as other assassins.. You can pretty much do that in a few hours.". It's not literally what they said, but they really said that it would literally take like a few hours to make. While Ubisoft lied that it would take them weeks for "Completely new animations, models, etc etc" which they don't need to actually do...

Anyway the case isn't the feminism here, it's just corporate bullshitting customers into their faces again and thinking it would work.

This is one of those things where I was like "yeah, it'd be nice if they had a female character in this co-op game" but I took Ubisoft's word for it that it would take too long to create a whole new character with unique animations and such. Having read Koingaming's post though, I can see I was wrong.

And look what we have here now. I'm happy they reconsidered to an extent, but if the character is made, then why have it be pre-order bonus? I guess this was their financial justification for putting more people into making the character, but it still kinda feels like they're tacking it on to appease people, and if it really was that easy to add her in, then this is just an attempt to grab money in the face of controversy.

I mean, I guess it's better than nothing but it's kinda just lame now.