• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Crazycrab

The Last of Us SPOILER Thread.

35 posts in this topic

I've decided to make a thread were anyone who has completed the game can post any thoughts, opinions, favourite/least favourite scenes, levels or anything related for that matter without worrying about spoiling it for anyone who hasn't played or beaten it yet.

Just to make it clear if you haven't played it yet and intend to do so, DO NOT read anything beyond this OP as it will almost certainly ruin the experience for you.

I guess I'll make a start with this event that was streamed on the 28th.  They got some of the cast and crew who worked on the game and perform some key scene's and musical pieces for a live audience.  It starts about 29:44 into the vid (seriously PlayStation can't you edit the countdown out?).  I thought this was great stuff though!

What can I say about the game? It's a masterpiece.

The story is remarkable, well written with complex themes of struggle and clinging on to what more humanity you had left. Hence the title, "The Last of Us".

The animations and gameplay is well done. Great realistic animations with good stealth and excellent AI, with the exception of the teammate stealth AI.

Gustavo Santaolalla's soundtrack is remarkable, but then again, what more can you expect from an Academy Award winning composer like Gus?

The Voice acting from Troy Baker, Ashley Johnson and Meryl Dandridge is remarkable, and everyone else did great.

I heavily enjoyed this game, and I am proud to say....

Joel did the right thing, saving Ellie.

Levatte likes this

Joel did the right thing, saving Ellie.

Thats debatable, I mean I'm glad he did it but I wouldn't say he did the right thing.  But it was definitely wrong for the fireflies to take that decision out of Ellie's hands, she might have went along with it.

Thats debatable, I mean I'm glad he did it but I wouldn't say he did the right thing.  But it was definitely wrong for the fireflies to take that decision out of Ellie's hands, she might have went along with it.

After seeing those cannibals, clickers, bloaters, infected, overly brutal authorities, and hunters, I'm somewhat convinced that there is nothing left to save.

I agree with Joel's decision in the end, I know it's not the right thing to do but personally as a dad I understand why he didn't let Ellie be sacrificed for a cure (which is probably gonna be used by Marlene selfishly to take a firm hold of the firefly and even the government itself). Think about this would you let someone you love die even if it ends up saving the whole world? Personally I don't think so, selfish it may seems.

By the way did you read about the epilogue scene on One Night Live? I think it was really touching and a great way to say goodbye to Ellie and Joel.

I agree with Joel's decision in the end, I know it's not the right thing to do but personally as a dad I understand why he didn't let Ellie be sacrificed for a cure (which is probably gonna be used by Marlene selfishly to take a firm hold of the firefly and even the government itself). Think about this would you let someone you love die even if it ends up saving the whole world? Personally I don't think so, selfish it may seems.

By the way did you read about the epilogue scene on One Night Live? I think it was really touching and a great way to say goodbye to Ellie and Joel.

I was wondering what happened with that, could you post a link?

So, here is a question.

How shock were you to find out Nolan North was in the game, and that he was the cannibal man after Ellie? I didn't even know or still can tell its Nolan North, was shock to see his name in the credits. 

DemonsColt likes this

So, here is a question.

How shock were you to find out Nolan North was in the game, and that he was the cannibal man after Ellie? I didn't even know or still can tell its Nolan North, was shock to see his name in the credits. 

I wasn't really that surprised, though his character in this is quite a step away from Nathan Drake that's for sure!

I wasn't really that surprised, though his character in this is quite a step away from Nathan Drake that's for sure!

Oh I love to see Nathan Drake turn cannibal now, it be one hell of a interesting story. "Ya so me and Sully got stranded on a island, full of pirate treasure. But really no food, so I turn to Sully and shot him. Than I cooked him and ate him. Why you staring at me like that, HE TASTED GOOD!"

Oh I love to see Nathan Drake turn cannibal now, it be one hell of a interesting story. "Ya so me and Sully got stranded on a island, full of pirate treasure. But really no food, so I turn to Sully and shot him. Than I cooked him and ate him. Why you staring at me like that, HE TASTED GOOD!"

Well Uncharted 4 is said to be even darker than UC3, we may see that.

Back on Nolan North as David, I really did not see him coming, same when he voiced Penguin in the Batman games. It just goes to show you he is a very talented actor.

One thing the should get alot of credit apart from the excellent voice acting, story telling is the excellent sound track.

I personally agreed with what Joel did because he was broken man after his daughter died and Ellie was his only reason to hang on to life

One thing the should get alot of credit apart from the excellent voice acting, story telling is the excellent sound track.

I personally agreed with what Joel did because he was broken man after his daughter died and Ellie was his only reason to hang on to life

We where gonna cross this point we might as well dive into it. Cause what spoiler thread of The Last of Us would it be if we didn't discuss Joel and his personal journey.

The Villain

One point I do want to make, for the first time this is where you technically play the villain. I mean think about it, Joel is stopping the one thing that could 'possibly' save humanity. He murders his way, kills a (or several) innocent doctors. Lies to Ellie making up some kind of fantasy story, that the Fireflies found another immune person. Joel is the villain, but from what I see I agree with Joel.

Joel's Obvious

One of the points Joel can't accept or let Ellie die like this, even if it is to save humanity is he can't handle losing his 'daughter' again. Lets face it by the time they get to Tommy's Dam and have their first big argument about his daughter he starts to turn around. He begins to be more open and more father like after on. We all agree at this point Joel is starting to portray his own daughter into her. So far that his obvious nature to keep Ellie alive cost humanity a cure. He can't let her go, he doesn't want to let her go.

Joel's Nature, and Ellie's Confrontation 

Joel nature to keep pushing this all aside even drives him to lie to Ellie making up some story to the point a part of him, maybe all of him believe it now. Plus that last time they talk in the game, Ellie seems to be pushing Joel as if she must know something. She pleads with him to know if what he is saying is true. Even through if she knew or didn't know she can tell he is lying about something. Joel's obvious nature takes a much darker turn, when Ellie is force to just say "Okay" giving into Joel's mental problems.

Dark End...

This all adds up to be one hell of a emotional ending. Not a cry your eyes out sad. But a dark, disturbing, sad, horrifying ending. There is no happy in it, Joel's nature stop the cure of humanity. Ellie couldn't keep her promise to her long dead friend and those who passed, because of Joel.

But there is hope...

I guess I'll make a start with this event that was streamed on the 28th.  They got some of the cast and crew who worked on the game and perform some key scene's and musical pieces for a live audience.  It starts about 29:44 into the vid (seriously PlayStation can't you edit the countdown out?).  I thought this was great stuff though!

Like Crazycrab said The Last of Us One Night Live was done, and was amazing to watch. But at the end Geoff comes out and tells people that only the audience there will see this next part. This will not be shown anywhere else, they where allowed to talk about it but not show footage. So lets dive into it.

Good-bye Joel and Ellie

Joel is telling Ellie about how Tommy's trying to set him up with a woman called Esther, but Ellie is acting distant for some reason. Joel then says he has a gift for Ellie and brings in a guitar. He then plays and sings a song for her, before giving the guitar to her and leaving the room. Ellie then strums a string and the scene ends.

With this even after Joel becoming the single hand of humanities deny for a cure. Even after Joel's lies force Ellie to submit and go along with Joel. Even after that dark sad cut of a ending. There is a happy ending to this. Joel and Ellie 4 years later are happy in Tommy's Town. Joel is going to be seeing someone. Ellie like a daughter with a single-parent is jealous. Like as if life never stopped and ended around them.

Crazycrab likes this

So, here is a question.

Pretty shocked since I read the name directly from the credits without any spoilers whatsover.

Pretty shocked since I read the name directly from the credits without any spoilers whatsover.

I think that is how we all found out about Nolan North.

I just wanted to give a shout to my and I think alot of other people's (including director Neil Duckman)  favourite scene.  For me this is the defining moment of Ellie's character, showing how mutch that she depends and looks up to Joel but also that she's not afraid to stand up to him.  I also love her curiosity and almost bewilderment about the world as it was which is present throughout.

The moment with line "Everyone that I have cared for has either died or left me, everyone fucking exept for you"  wells me up every time I see it.

Rocharules and DemonsColt like this

I just wanted to give a shout to my and I think alot of other people's (including director Neil Duckman)  favourite scene.  For me this is the defining moment of Ellie's character, showing how mutch that she depends and looks up to Joel but also that she's not afraid to stand up to him.  I also love her curiosity and almost bewilderment about the world as it was which is present throughout.

The moment with line "Everyone that I have cared for has either died or left me, everyone fucking exept for you"  wells me up every time I see it.

I remembered watching that cutscene. I was so into that scene until Tommy ran in. I yelled, "DAMN IT TOMMY, YOU RUINED A MOMENT HERE!"

Rocharules and Crazycrab like this

The Left Behind DLC was pretty damn good as well. When Ellie and Riley are bitten and instead of committing suicide they decide to live out there final hours together almost brought me to tears. Wish the DLC was longer though ;p.

What do you guys think about the Left Behind DLC, since you guys haven't talked about it yet. 

DemonsColt likes this

The Left Behind DLC was pretty damn good as well. When Ellie and Riley are bitten and instead of committing suicide they decide to live out there final hours together almost brought me to tears. Wish the DLC was longer though ;p.

What do you guys think about the Left Behind DLC, since you guys haven't talked about it yet. 

I love it, in some ways it's a lot better than the main game. I love the Angel Knives and water gun part (it's a lot more tense than usual gunplay since I was playing on survivor difficulty).

I loved this game and was upset with myself that I took so long to actually play through it. One thing that struck me as weird was playing through Pittsburgh and seeing a city that I live so close to becoming an apocalyptic city full of screwed up people. It made me wonder what my story would have been if I lived through the events of the game. 

I did not expect the ending. I was honestly surprised to see Joel kill Marlene and destroy a possible hope for humanity. I side with Joel's decision. To him, Ellie is worth all of those lives and, as was previously said, with the way the world turned out, who was left to save? The Hunters? Fireflies? the people living in the quarantine zone and the military? I'd be interested to know what the population of surviving humans is. Also, we have no idea if a cure could be created with using the parasite inside her. Her sacrifice could be for nothing. A sacrifice she didn't have a say in.  I also felt like the ending was incomplete. I feel like a sequel could be possible but also that the story could be left as is. 

I have yet to play the DLC and am very interested in it. 

Rocharules likes this

I loved this game and was upset with myself that I took so long to actually play through it. One thing that struck me as weird was playing through Pittsburgh and seeing a city that I live so close to becoming an apocalyptic city full of screwed up people. It made me wonder what my story would have been if I lived through the events of the game. 

I did not expect the ending. I was honestly surprised to see Joel kill Marlene and destroy a possible hope for humanity. I side with Joel's decision. To him, Ellie is worth all of those lives and, as was previously said, with the way the world turned out, who was left to save? The Hunters? Fireflies? the people living in the quarantine zone and the military? I'd be interested to know what the population of surviving humans is. Also, we have no idea if a cure could be created with using the parasite inside her. Her sacrifice could be for nothing. A sacrifice she didn't have a say in.  I also felt like the ending was incomplete. I feel like a sequel could be possible but also that the story could be left as is. 

I have yet to play the DLC and am very interested in it. 

Pretty sure the story is complete since Druckmann said the epilogue during the One Night Live is a way of saying goodbye to both characters. I think the ending is just perfect, it's grounded, real and left us thinking what could possibly happen after and thus coming up with different conclusion. I think that's a great thing and I don't want it to be spoiled with another sequel (FFX-2 is a perfect example of this)

I had my first playthrough of Left Behind the other day that it was quite a surprise!  It was more quickly and lighthearted yet more intense as well.  I only wish we got a little more to it, for example the displays the relationship between Ellie and Riley that are close freinds that had a falling-out when Riley left but at points it hints that there is more of a romantic entanglement between the two.

Maybe leaving it a bit mysterious was the intent but I kind of wish there was a little more clarity because having a freindship and being in love are different and it left me wanting to know about Riley how the relationship between the two developed. 

This is probably as strong a positive mark for writing as you can get!  It does such a good of setting up and developing a character that I'm actually feeling a bit salty that I didn't get to learn more about her!

I had my first playthrough of Left Behind the other day that it was quite a surprise!  It was more quickly and lighthearted yet more intense as well.  I only wish we got a little more to it, for example the displays the relationship between Ellie and Riley that are close freinds that had a falling-out when Riley left but at points it hints that there is more of a romantic entanglement between the two.

Maybe leaving it a bit mysterious was the intent but I kind of wish there was a little more clarity because having a freindship and being in love are different and it left me wanting to know about Riley how the relationship between the two developed. 

This is probably as strong a positive mark for writing as you can get!  It does such a good of setting up and developing a character that I'm actually feeling a bit salty that I didn't get to learn more about her!

I might be wrong about this but isn't that part covered within the comics (American Dreams)?