• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Oreyn

Definition of "Badass"?

16 posts in this topic

So, I was just sitting around letting my mind wander as I browsed the forums here and such, and I ended up thinking about the "Badass Seal of Approval". Nearly every single person who has one got it by being online for a continuous 24 hour event.

I had gotten one myself from the Guild Wars 2 24 hour event, thought it'd be nice to have one. Looking at it now though, not sure if I deserve to have it. I mean yeah, I stayed up the whole time, ran around with everyone, stayed in the chat, all that good stuff that was required to earn it. But none of it really seemed like "Badass" sort of stuff.

So, I thought I'd ask here. What do you think about the term "Badass"? Your definition, what you consider to be deserving of the phrase, etc. It's different for everyone. Some people actually do have to go all out just for a 24 hour period. It can grind on folks.

Myself however, I've done 24 hour deals before. Not here really, but all the same. Only problem I get is becoming bored. But what sort of "Badass challenge" makes people bored? I don't think anything that can ever be called 'boring' by the person doing whatever it is be considered truly "badass" you know? Like getting an award or a trophy by being on the winning team, but you sat on the bench the entire time.

Now maybe something like being ranked in the top 10 in the world for something, that'd be kinda badass. Really have to work for something like that. Or maybe have to hold out against a full team of strong opposition in a game on your own or a much smaller squad, that'd seem more badass. Possibly be the only or one of very few to find a sort of secret or hidden treasure in a game that requires skill and planning to locate and acquire? (No walk-throughs, or guides either mind you)

I looked over on wikipedia for "badass" and it gave me "Known for taking more risks, action, and pain than others" as an example. My legs felt cramped by sitting for hours, that doesn't seem risky, action filled, or neccesarily painful though.

Again, nothing against others for having it. I just don't think I personally lived up to earning something like a medal called "badass" by sitting around waiting for time to go by.

Now maybe a 48 or 72 hour long go at it, something I'd have to actually fight to stay awake for, that might seem a bit more worth it in my eyes. Shame I'd be hard pressed to get the time set aside and someone else to vouch that I did it. Maybe on the console, or a back and forth... I'll have to think about that more.

Final notes: Sorry if this is the wrong forum area, nothing against anyone with the medal or the medal itself, I'm rambling, should probably get some sleep, thank you for your patience and attention.

Ysnar and Conan like this

I recently just got mine the other day for the 24 hour T0ns and Ross stream and your right, all I did was stay awake. In the very same stream that I stayed away for, I personally "epic failed" and blew up not just Angry Joe but also Delrith in PS2 when I tried to disarm a tank mine with a gun. I seriously didn't feel like a badass then. I have to admit, I had been awake for about 48 hours total by that point and couldn't tell a tank mine from a potato but still, didn't really feel like I earned anything. Then again, I am not complaining. 

Conan likes this

I think you're making a valid point. All but 3 people here have gotten those seals just for staying awake for 24 hours.

The exceptions are Tonsofun and SgtRoss for streaming for 24 hours, and Delrith for "obtaining #1 Rank in the World In Battlefield 4! Way to represent!".

It's a pretty wide gap If you ask me. I'm not saying all those people don't deserve the seals, staying awake for 24 hours can be tough, I've done it before. I did not enjoy any bit of it, so I would like to avoid doing so again for a shiny badge.

But I think an argument can be made for maybe upping the ante a bit, considering the precedent set by Delrith.

I'm depressed cause I missed a roll call while I was in the toilet. Then my phone internet died. Congrats for those that earned the badges!

If it was officially supported I feel I would have earned the badass seal for my performance in all the Halo 4 game nights Doshka runs.

legolas.jpg

Berserker likes this

If it was officially supported I feel I would have earned the badass seal for my performance in all the Halo 4 game nights Doshka runs.

I agree, that would be more bad ass. And Doshka should probably get a seal too for organizing those events.

Within the context of "Angry Joe", those seals are only given to special games, that do just a little bit more, and try a little harder to do good. I think that should translate to the AJSA as well.

Conan likes this

How about sub-categories of the badass seal of approvals? For instance:

- Staying up for an AJSA 24 hour op

- Achieving a new record, such as a world rank, speed run, 1st kill etc

- Winning a professional/semi-professional gaming tournament

These are the ones that I can come up with off the top of my head. 

Also, another absurd idea that started from the GW2 24 hour op.  During hour 12 to 16, we held a contest in which people would win in-game money if they can identify which game is the soundtrack from... it helped pass the time.  Imagine a hardcore game trivia contest in a 'who wants to be a millionaire' fashion... but instead, referred to as 'who wants to be a badass gaming genius'. 

There would be a variety of questions, ranging from game lore, secrets/easter eggs and identifying soundtracks/characters... you can go a step further and increase the size of the question pool by asking about the developers, year of release/closure (if its an MMO), number of sequels, which games made x developer famous/infamous and so on.  Imo, it would be awesome to see some gaming whiz make it to the end, answering everything.

We actually have an MVP award as well to be given out to people who perform well, support their group in-game, etc. The BASOA is more a tongue-in-cheek award handed out by us, as Joe is the theme of the community. So bug your game officers about utilizing the MVP award.

Kaz32 likes this

We actually have an MVP award as well to be given out to people who perform well, support their group in-game, etc. The BASOA is more a tongue-in-cheek award handed out by us, as Joe is the theme of the community. So bug your game officers about utilizing the MVP award.

Just checking, you mean the Champion badge...right? 

Bug game officers eh?

Hey Ysnar... want to try a 72 hour run? It'll be a lot like the 24 hour one. Even with your favorite phrase.

In any case, I suppose I just have a different medal to strive for. Maybe when I get to that point, I'll feel more accomplished.

And I do mean 'when'. I will get there at some point. Count on it.

I admire your determination Oreyn!

About the 24 (or x-hour ops)... We're still recovering from the last one we did, some experienced varying degrees of burnout, which I understand.  The best info I can give you is that we'll do another op once the EU guild is more established, with greater numbers and capable of running its own weekly guild mission/regular WvW ops.  I would be more comfortable with another large op on the horizon once the EU guild can stand on its own feet and can operate independently from the NA guild.  Heck, if we wanted to hold a 24 hour WvW-centric op, the EU server would be an ideal venue, with its non-stop WvW action.

Keep in mind that 24 hour ops are not the only way of getting these medals, as Tons0fun and 1mirg mentioned.  Other methods that I can think of include:

- An aspiring WvW commander from the guild that is a regular/shows determination to learn/improve, in good standing with the guild/community and makes a significant contribution in a WvW tournament by demonstrating leadership that wins us the round (or the equivalent).  Thus earning the recognition and respect of the other commanders on the server... imo such a person is a very suitable candidate for a champion badge.

- A team takes part in the myriad of PvP tournaments and wins (or reaches finalist position of a huge tournament) in the name of the AJSA.  Winning such a tournament isn't generally easy... just getting a team together is a long term commitment, requiring long hours of practicing together and teamwork.  I imagine that members of such a team like that should deserve the champion medals.

Suppose I'm out of luck in those ways then. Didn't pick "Lone Warrior" cause it sounded nice.

And not a big PVP fan, so that narrows down my options a bit as well.

But you know what? Doesn't matter. I'll get that other medal somehow. Live up to the names of the medals. 

Even if no one else sees it, at least I'll know I succeeded.

Suppose I'm out of luck in those ways then. Didn't pick "Lone Warrior" cause it sounded nice.

And not a big PVP fan, so that narrows down my options a bit as well.

It doesn't have to be PvP-related, I mentioned the two off the top of my head.  There are others, like for example, setting up and organizing your own in-game weekly/bi-weekly event e.g. regular dungeon runs/world boss runs, map/completion zergs (we have maps to help with those) etc... continuously.  Like over a few months or so.

If one steps up, guild leadership will naturally help them out where possible, but the event has to be thought out and implemented by a member.

In response to an earlier question, yes MVP award formally known as the AJSA Champion Award, which any officer can nominate a member for based on their merits in an open AJSA event, which of course can vary from game to game, but also factors in the the manner in which they play with others, not just how good they are at gameplay.

I think Ysnar is getting the idea of the BASOA correct, although I do want to dissuade any of you from thinking that BASOAs only can be given out as endurance prizes for 24 hours events, nor do I want you to downplay the accomplishment of staying up with a group of people for 24 hours to either play a game or support others while streaming.  Like some of our posters here have stated, to some of them staying up 24 Hours (let alone doing a singular thing for the duration) is an easy and repeatable task.  I suspect though they will not always have the luxury of that much free time, nor the constitution to stay up 24 hours in the near/far future.  

Besides the endurance part of the contest, I think it is evident people who have stayed up for that long together have formed a strong bond with their fellow Bad Asses, and the more people that are connected in this community beyond just a simple enjoyment of Joe's content, the stronger this community will be; and that is Bad Ass.

I think future BASOAs can be given out for many things, game-based or otherwise, and that the one-off opportunities will be obvious when they happen.  

Ysnar likes this

I read this topic thinking it was about the general meaning of the term, and not forum badges...

I didn't even notice there were such forum badges until seeing this thread. Though I'm not really concerned about forum badges, I do think that the criteria for earning them (Based on this thread, no clue on its accuracy otherwise) seems kinda silly. I think one should earn them via winning AJSA-hosted tournaments or something, but maybe community badges should be more about your dedication to the community more than a game (for which there are in-game achievements already right?).

Meh.

Berserker likes this