• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Ender

How do you get out of a losing streak?

30 posts in this topic

So i have seemed to come across a vary troubling issue with my DOTA 2 gaming experience. It seems i have run into... and this is not over exaggerated or made up... but i have run into a 11 game losing streak. This is by far the worst case of just plain bad luck! I will start off with a player who never picks his hero and will sit in the selector the whole game, trolls that seem to do anything in their power to make my team lose, and worst of all i am matched with people using cave-man technology to power the internet in their homes be it hamster wheels or ox pulled gears they seem to only join the game so the can DC at lvl 4. 

I have tried to play with the guild, even had a party up for 3 games trying to rid myself of this curse and perhaps cast it upon another. I have pleaded to both my own team and the enemy to PLEASE LET ME WIN! but alas none of it works! 

I have traveled to the farthest shops in the middle of the forest and bought the most expensive and ludicrous items but still I am double shafted by the shopkeeper and am forced to be beaten until my money is all gone and I can never reach the price of the true item that I require! 

So now dear AJSA brothers what can I do to help myself from rage quieting and uninstalling DOTA 2 forever? How do you get out of a .. please before the Dire reaches the Ancient!

post-16108-0-04223500-1407466595_thumb.j.

Nashk likes this

Well, when I'm having a losing steak in pretty much anything, I take a few hour break, drink some tea... Read a book.

And then I turn some pump-up music on, say 'Nexus - Gamer' and get back to kickin' that ass... 

Although I could never understand your's because I've never played Dota or any Mobas to be honest.

You could try another play style, though. (Reroll whatever Hero(Or w/e Dota has) and get back into the fray.)

Good luck in getting over your bad luck, though! ;)

Well, when I'm having a losing steak in pretty much anything, I take a few hour break, drink some tea... Read a book.

And then I turn some pump-up music on, say 'Nexus - Gamer' and get back to kickin' that ass... 

Although I could never understand your's because I've never played Dota or any Mobas to be honest.

You could try another play style, though. (Reroll whatever Hero(Or w/e Dota has) and get back into the fray.)

Good luck in getting over your bad luck, though! ;)

O my boy how i have tried! I went on a week vacation to the Florida Keys (no joke) and came back only to be pawed by a 10 year old! I have tried to grap a new hero such as dark seer or bane (I play support types) and still I lose and I am forced to punch my pillow and yell at the screen "WHY ME?". 

But you could never understand... 

(you should try DOTA its a nice game once you get a hold of it but you must grind the tutorial it helps new guys a lot more then people say)

WeLiVeR likes this

(you should try DOTA its a nice game once you get a hold of it but you must grind the tutorial it helps new guys a lot more then people say)

Don't get me wrong, I've definitely thought about it. I just don't have all that much time between writing, drawing and fishing in runescape(:P)

Not to mention I'm never really in the mood to try a game that's completely new to me, mechanics wise.  Also I'm not really a fan of grinding...(I mean, I play runescape and that game's one big grind...)

To begin with, never beg. Ever. It comes off as desperate. The enemy team is not going to feel sorry for you and throw the game just because you ask them to. 

Secondly, losing streaks happen when you start going on the tilt. The tilt is a theoretical mental state where you start to make very basic mistakes and these tax on your focus, making you make more mistakes and more prone to getting frustrated at other peoples mistakes.

For starters, if you have a 3-4 game losing streak, take a break. Not a 2 minute piss break. A full on break from the game. If it takes the rest of the day so be it. Make it so your mental state is reset and you go into the next game fresh.

Once you have taken the break, focus on yourself (This applies in solo queue mostly, but if you're in a party with people who are very clearly not as experienced as you then this can also semi-apply). If your friend/ally/yourself makes a dumbass move or choice, you have 2 options:

• Pout over it, focusing on that single mistake and letting it plauge your mind for the next 20 minutes, or
  • accept that he/she/you made a mistake, make a polite note to yourself if you caused it or give some friendly advice to the ally/friend about the mistake, and keep playing as focused as you were before the mistake.

In the end, the reason why losing streaks happen is because your mental state is in a twist. If you can reset your mental state after a loss so that the loss doesn't affect you, then you'll see losing streaks like this a hell of a lot less.

Sundaecat, mrfool, Nashk and 1 other like this

Don't get me wrong, I've definitely thought about it. I just don't have all that much time between writing, drawing and fishing in runescape( :P)

Not to mention I'm never really in the mood to try a game that's completely new to me, mechanics wise.  Also I'm not really a fan of grinding...(I mean, I play runescape and that game's one big grind...)

I wouldn't call Dota 2 grinding. Each time you play a game it feels fresh. I've played over 1000 and I can safely say that I will probably have 1000 more. You don't play Dota 2 games in a grinding mentality as such, more an improvement mentality. Still, if you don't want to play that's all cool. Dota 2 ain't for everyone. If you do want to join though, hit mrfool with a friend invite. He'll get you acquainted with the Dota 2 AJSA guild. If you want to find a coach, check the coach thread:

http://angryjoeshow.com/ajsa/topic/13480-ajsa-coachesstudent-list-thread/page-3

They are a bunch there that would be more than happy to show you the ropes.

Also, I love your cat gif thing. It's adowable ^_^

mrfool and WeLiVeR like this

Yeah sometimes take a break or set up with friends you know you can trust to carry or support you properly :) . Somedays you do lose and then feel very annoyed youve done something really dumb(trust me ive fingered a creep). also with US or EU you can swap servers(east/west) and hope it gets better(since there wont be much latency difference between the two usually(i mean for me its 20-75ms to east and 75-150 ms for west) and generally it wont feel like too much of a difference(usually will go back to east eventually though). but yeah as muddlet(its muddlet regardless of his muddlet chan name change) says a break from the game to play another usually will help you reset your mindset and feels for it. If you really feel like continuing do take a introspective(basically watch your own replays from the games) sometime later and see if you did tilt and you could have done it better or not and yeah. GL :)

Muddy-Chan likes this

Pretty much just message Muddlet for all your problems ever. Guy knows what he's talking about.

But in all seriousness...

If you're solo queuing then just take regular breaks, don't go hard into several games in one session. You can try and help your solo queue buddies out as much as you want but in the end if they're inexperienced then there's not a huge amount you can do in that 1 game's time period.

If you're queuing with people you know/in a group then consider watching those games back and analyzing what went wrong. If it was problems you yourself made then realise what you've done wrong and get over it. If it's your team that is sucking then give them advice after watching the replays. If they don't want to listen then find someone else to play with. It's as simple as that. Dota 2 is a team game for a reason.

Just don't get too down about being in a losing position because it happens to all of us.

Nashk, Muddy-Chan and Sundaecat like this

Pretty much just message Muddlet for all your problems ever. Guy knows what he's talking about.

If only I could actually execute what I'm talking about.

Now if you'll excuse me, Imma go cry in corner.

Sundaecat and mrfool like this

Do something that you like. Something that you're good at and breathe in that fresh air of renewal.

It's a lot better to keep yourself fresh, as what everyone has said, per game than to just plunge yourself into it. Win or Lose, get yourself reset and refreshed. Baby steps, my friend.

Sundaecat, mrfool and Muddy-Chan like this

Just one think. Strike the thought "I will win this game alone" out of your mind for ever as long as you intend to play Dota - a 5 man team based game. Again and again solo you cannot win alone. Non of the games you won on  Dota you ever won alone unless you play 1v1. I ma sick and tired of people saying their team don't let them win. If you want a good experience, get in the TeamSpeak and find a group of people here to play with in a 5 man stack. If you want an answer how to win a game on your own.

It's simple - play Invoker, Furion or Thinker. You will play most of those heroes Mid or in jungle. You will be lonely and sad but you will probably win 50% of your games.

If you want fun, then you need to join a Group and commit that this is a team game and you (if are experienced enough in Dota), will play whatever your Group needs of you.

It's simple - play Invoker, Furion or Tinker. You will play most of those heroes Mid or in jungle. You will be lonely and sad but you will probably win 50% of your games.

I'm don't exactly agree with this. You shouldn't limit yourself to a tiny hero pool just so you can get a 50+% win streak. Granted, I love Tinker a lot and I'm a solo mid player myself, but if you want to play a hero like Elder Titan then you should just do it. After all, Dota 2 is a game. You should be having fun. Playing the same heroes over and over again just so you can get a better MMR and winrate is rather pointless unless you actually enjoy playing said heroes (I'm planning on practicing a lot  more PA for example, since I think she is a very strong hero if RNG isn't a total bitch to you). 

Aside from that, agree with the rest of the post. The whole "Imma carry team all by myself" mentality is retarded. Even if you are a carry, your teammates play a significant role in your victory even if it doesn't seem like it (You haven't had a comeback game until you have a game where a simple icepath completely changes the course of a game).

mrfool likes this

I'm don't exactly agree with this. You shouldn't limit yourself to a tiny hero pool just so you can get a 50+% win streak. Granted, I love Tinker a lot and I'm a solo mid player myself, but if you want to play a hero like Elder Titan then you should just do it. After all, Dota 2 is a game. You should be having fun. Playing the same heroes over and over again just so you can get a better MMR and winrate is rather pointless unless you actually enjoy playing said heroes (I'm planning on practicing a lot  more PA for example, since I think she is a very strong hero if RNG isn't a total bitch to you). 

Aside from that, agree with the rest of the post. The whole "Imma carry team all by myself" mentality is retarded. Even if you are a carry, your teammates play a significant role in your victory even if it doesn't seem like it (You haven't had a comeback game until you have a game where a simple icepath completely changes the course of a game).

tbh you havent had a comeback game till your void lands perfect 5 man chronos for 3 fights straight while you sit on the side lines using silencers ok nukes and waiting to ult once the chrono ends. or when you get the perfect ES ult and they cant buy back in time to save their ancient. 

Also PA getting rng screwed i feel is less likely than getting rng screwed on ogre cause if you seriously dont get any multicasts during 2-3 team fights you feel worthless :< Ive had that and till the very end i dont think i got a single 3x or 4x multicast(i had maybe 1 or 2 2x multicasts in some of the fights) 

Another issue with just playing the same hero over and over is a) its boring unless you like that hero alot, B) it means that you are also limiting the pool you can play through playing heroes that you are the best at for a bunch of games.

There also problems with playing invoker, tinker, furion is cause you need a team that can hold out till you get to a certain point, tinker doesnt farm too fast till boots of travel and even then you want items on that hero, invoker sometimes takes a while to come online even with midas, furion usually means that one of your lanes wont be a duo and usually means your lanes will be weaker as a result of furion not being able to contribute much unless he participates in ganks and makes stuff happen(and trust me ive had a game where a furion was all watching and would come join early ganks he managed to secure the kill that would have been missed otherwise or make stuff really annoying to play vs(cause he would always show up so any gank would be xvx+1 unless it was a 5v5 teamfight). 

Well I just had a game vs team that played Shadow Shaman mid as Core with Divine Rapier, Heart, Skady, BoT, Blink, Rady. They freking nailed my Random Party. Their Carries didn't got any kills at all, compared to Shadow Shaman. I call this better team play and failed warding of the map. But yea some games get you really pissed off. Especially when you see how good the enemy team is working together and your is just running around.

Thanks all for the advice I actually won a game not to long before writing this! It was a bit of luck and i won playing Razer for all those who care! 

Muddy-Chan likes this

Thanks all for the advice I actually won a game not to long before writing this! It was a bit of luck and i won playing Razer for all those who care! 

Glad it's going well for you, though my Dota 2 Grammar Nazi side is currently dying over the spelling of Razor.

On a more important note, don't get too cocky now either just because you got a win. Going into a game with high hopes actually can be pretty bad as well, since the emotional drop you get if your game starts falling can be pretty damaging. I personally try and go into every game neutral, not happy nor sad. If I play a game that is like crazy good, I try and take a break so I don't let myself down if I fail the next game. It may just be a personal thing, but that's just how I roll.

Blacklung likes this

Glad it's going well for you, though my Dota 2 Grammar Nazi side is currently dying over the spelling of Razor.

Confirmed new Razer Plasma Field Headset for the real MLG experience, guaranteed win.

Anyways your best bet to winning games is to just focus on yourself, ignore other people's mistakes and try to adapt to them so it wouldn't turn out as bad and never EVER start raging on ANYONE. It ruins your own and everyone else's mentality, patience and overall willingness to play. Trust me, i've been in this situation and it was frustrating as fuck, but it followed up with a 12 win streak so it was all cool.

Btw ask some of the more experienced Dota players around here for some help if you're newer here (anyone with 1K+ games is considered experienced imho). And i've already made a 10 page essay on rage so i'm not gonna re-write all of that crap nobody read, find it if you want *flies away*.

The best way to get out of a losing streak is winning.

/thread

gg my advice. Charlie Advice Best advice/10.

See, this is why Charlie is a pro player.

2slow4me, Charlie and mrfool like this

Since I play LoL and I've had my losing streaks and so did others, the way you get out of a losing streak is you take a break from the game for a day or more, play something else and then come back to DOTA 2 all refreshed and get ready to hit the ranked one more time. It's what most people will recommend. You got nothing to lose if you take a break from it for a days.

The best way to get out of a losing streak is winning.

/thread

fuq u sanic will eat your skull and feast upon ur fast.

gg my advice. Charlie Advice Best advice/10.

See, this is why Charlie is a pro player.

Ready for #TI5

Muddy-Chan likes this

I usually take a break from the game and ponder why the went the way it did. A clear mind is the thing you want when you play Dota. It also helps you to calm down and be less agressive to other players. But this depends on what kind of person you are.

If you dont think about what you done wrong then you will just repeat your wrongdoings in the next game.

Muddy-Chan likes this

Well it depends on what is causing your losing streak. Sometimes it truly is the fault of other players on your team casuing a loss. It happens. Not everyone has a good game, and sometimes the enemy team will just be on a roll. Either way there is one thing above all that you must remember.

HAVE FUN.

I am serious. You must find a way to have fun even during your lowest times in dota. When you can get past that mental block of anguish and find joy just in the act of playijng dota you will break your losing streak, and if you don't? Well, you are having fun! When you have fun your mind is clear, you make less mistakes, you are a more pleasant player to both play with, and against, and you save your health from all the negativity. I mean, you are only one player out of ten. That is nine other people alongside you dictating the flow of the game. Sometimes you just need to be able to enjoy the ride.

If the game stops being fun there are a few ways to deal with this. Breaks have already been mentioned many times so I will skip that. Here are a few ways, playing dota, that you can reduce your losing streak and have fun.

Change the game mode. If you want to increase your chances of having a good game. (I.E. A game with increased teamwork and more fun in general) stop playing all pick. All pick is a fine mode to play around and try heroes, but it is not likely to end up with a balanced team unless you are playing with four other friends. Try captains mode or draft if playing ranked.

If you need to blow off some steam turn away from ranked and play around with other game modes like ability draft, least played, random draft, or whatever. Including modes that make you play a new hero, or one you don't play much proves to make the game fresh as well as hone your skills for future games. Again with friends if possible to maximize fun.

Finally you can help a losing streak in one more way. Practicing against bots. If you do insist on playing all pick before you jump in think about the hero you want to play and try them out against bots first. This lets you shake off the rust or just warm up before playing against people. Try out silly item combinations to see how they play, try different ability builds to find situational usefulness. This is mostly just to increase your mood but it is very important for practice as well.

Finally I have to say again, HAVE FUN!

Using these tips I broke away from some nasty losing streaks. One of the biggest factors to win a game is a positive attitude and spreading that attitude to the rest of your teammates. The biggest mistake... I say again the BIGGEST MISTAKE I see fellow players make is giving up early and letting a lost teamfight break their spirit. They start thinking about the next game rather than trying to win the current one. Keep playing, keep trying and there is always a chance for victory. I have had multiple close calls that would have ended if my team had given up. One game was decided by a single auto attack by Nature's prophet being a second slow.

Those are the tips off the top of my head. I hope you break your losing streak and enjoy the game!

Edit: for formatting.

Muddy-Chan likes this

Pray for teammates that aren't complete idiots :D