• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shagger

Can strategy gsmes work on console?

27 posts in this topic

Traditionally, such games have only really worked on PC because the user interface has always been better suited. However, both the XBox One and the PS4 are compatible with mouse and keyboard plus the fact that the architecture is more similar to PC than ever before, so can these games finally be successfully ported to console?

I think that technically they could, but to spark enough interest I think Sony and Microsoft would have put a risky skate into promoting them and would probably use this as a excuse to bring out thier own stupidity priced versions of mouse and keyboard for console.

I hope it can work, but what do you guys think?

Well, with mouse and keyboard support they could surely work, but would a company port or make a game for a console that would require that bit of hardware.  Especially when you consider that strategy games are kind of niche.  I used to play EQ Online Adventures and FFXI with a keyboard back on the PS2, so it's definitely a thing they could do, but convincing people to buy a keyboard and mouse would be a very hard sell in a gaming culture that expects everything for free or less than $10.

Umm.. are you one of those people who think all strategy games are real time strategy or something (which are in fact the least strategic in the genre imo)? Cuz there have been great strategy games on consoles in the past. Metal marines, ogre battle...Defender of the crown is an old fave. I never got into it that much but I understand it's pretty popular.

Granted I don't know many that are more modern but if it can be done on the NES/SNES it most definately can be done on newer consoles... oh yeah, Advance wars, love advance wars.

Strategy games have always worked on consoles. If you just mean RTS and Grand Strategy they can work now that you can use a keyboard and mouse but with all the updates, DLC, modding that those games get from the developer and the community and with the people who want those games probably already using PCs for it I doubt it would have a good market for it. It only makes it worse if people end up needing to buy another mouse and keyboard for it.

I remember Halo Wars; I thought it was amazing... none of my friends thought so (sniffle, sniffle)

Gingerboy97 likes this

Strategy games work fine on consoles as long as it's not rts. Fire Emblem and Super Robot Wars are some of the most popular strategy games.

Try picking out 5 units clumped together with 20 others in a hurry with a controller, it's awkward and slow so I say no.

I think It's very possible, even without keyboard and mouse.

Halo Wars is the prime example since It was designed for a console, but for me, Aliens Vs. Predator: Extinction really sticks out. I still have my original Xbox copy of it, and It still works fine. Sure the precision might suffer, but It's far from unplayable. In fact It's quite enjoyable.

Try picking out 5 units clumped together with 20 others in a hurry with a controller, it's awkward and slow so I say no.

It's tricky I'll grant you that, but It's not that frustrating or difficult with a little practice. Most of the RTS titles has the double click feature that selects all the units of the same type you double click for example, or a targeting system that allows you pick groups of units.

It's like no one knows about Supreme Commander, Halo Wars, or Command and Conquer.

Oddly enough, all 3 of those came to mind. They work just fine on the console for me. Then again, I barely touched the versus multiplayer, and I've heard how PC folk love their hot key assignments.

Besides, if I wanted to play a game with a keyboard and mouse, I'll get it for the computer. Having to buy extra hardware seperately to play something has always been a turn off for me.

There were also other games such as civilizations revolution (turn-based) and a little known game called tom clancy's end war

I remember playing CnC and Warcraft 2 on PSone. Nigh on unplayable. It's very clunky, you don't have any hotkeys. controlling separate groups of units is impossible. Basically no RTS can work for a console without mouse and keyboard support. But if they have mouse and keyboard support, then why not play it on pc in the first place?

However, games like Civilization and the like and also Heroes to a degree can work because they're most static so there's no stress for that matter.

And saying that RTS' are the least strategic is the same as saying that CoD is a strategy game...

It's like no one knows about Supreme Commander, Halo Wars, or Command and Conquer.

I'm sure he knows that there have been RTS games on console just that the ones we've had don't work very well or that the ones made specifically for consoles aren't that good when compared to others in the genre (and were made in a way where you don't need to control your units in the same way you would a normal RTS).

They should have mouse and keyboard support kinda like the PS3 version of CSGO.

Personally, I say no. BUT, My kids love Halo Wars & even that new one from UBI Soft, Air Mech Arena or someting? So it could just be a generational thing. That and lets be honest. They have never really ported a good RTS Over like Rise of Nations or Age Of Empires...so It's hard to jusdge when the PC ports that do make it over are B Titles.

And saying that RTS' are the least strategic is the same as saying that CoD is a strategy game...

Well first I said IMO, and I do have reasons. In a turn based strategy game, in a fair game, if you lose, your strategy just wasn't up to snuff...unless RNG is a strong influence, but even then games are rarely if ever decided by rng alone.

RTS games may involve strategy on the player's end at times but even the most brilliant and sound strategies can fall to pieces in the heat of battle due to some poorly timed mis-clicks, slow reaction, hair in your optic mouse, whatever. I'm not saying they involve no strategy, but I just feel that RTS games are only partially strategy, and partially user-micro-speed and interface management skills. I also said to the genre, so I'm not saying they require less strategy than gran tourismo or duke nukem or whatever.

Disagree if you like but I hope you can at least give me your logic as to why if you're going to object to it.

I hope it can work, but what do you guys think?

no.

most strategy games are built around competitive multiplayer and / or tournaments. tell a traditonal avid strategy gamer to use a console instead of a PC, with a low and locked 30 fps. not only that, the camera would never be fast enough like on a PC.

good rts gamers not only micro manage, but they use the camera to see everything at all times and use the map to switch the camera at any given notice. this all requires lots of hardware only found in a PC. quite a few rts games i have played recently, have all been a heavier load on my hardware than games like counter strike go - a game notorious for putting some people's gpu's up to 80 degrees celsius or higher.

a console is not going to be able to cut it when 1 player decides to build an army of 500+ units and his / her enemy also did the same... 1000 units minimum on the screen battling it out with all the special fx and graphics for each units firing and so on.... never going to go well on a console, not even the latest ones (as it has been constantly debated since their release that the new 8th gen consoles are gimped and not powerful enough for today's gaming market)

there's never going to be an rts game taken seriously any time soon on a console. the place where it is at for this market is quite simply the PC. to play an rts game properly, you need a PC. everyone will tell you this.

i hope i don't sound as if i am coming off dictatorial but i am not going to sugar coat the subject either. iv'e played and tried strategy games on consoles and they are all crap compared to playing the same versions on the PC. and the only ones on a console were ones that were ported from the PC just to try and cash in on more sales.

Which RTS games? It's only Blizzard now, Petroglyph's trying to come back in the game with Grey Goo(not a good name that's for sure.), COH2 and Relic are surviving at best and there's Planetary Annihilation(still very much in alpha) but RTS releases died after Starcraft 2, supposedly because everyone fears the competition and the MOBA boom didn't help at all either.

I didn't know ms and sony had finally allowed keyboards and mouses that's kinda cool but if it's only their own version and it's expensive as hell then the install base for a mouse based console game is still going to be tiny. Hardware is not a big problem though and 1000 units are rarely something we see in any game ever, SC2 itself is capped at 200 including workers.

For the record, there were some major RTS games released on console, Warcraft 2, Starcraft and Tiberium Wars all tried it and the controller just wasn't right every single time. Classically it isn't something the average console player wants either.

Which RTS games? It's only Blizzard now, Petroglyph's trying to come back in the game with Grey Goo(not a good name that's for sure.), COH2 and Relic are surviving at best and there's Planetary Annihilation(still very much in alpha) but RTS releases died after Starcraft 2, supposedly because everyone fears the competition and the MOBA boom didn't help at all either.

I didn't know ms and sony had finally allowed keyboards and mouses that's kinda cool but if it's only their own version and it's expensive as hell then the install base for a mouse based console game is still going to be tiny. Hardware is not a big problem though and 1000 units are rarely something we see in any game ever, SC2 itself is capped at 200 including workers.

For the record, there were some major RTS games released on console, Warcraft 2, Starcraft and Tiberium Wars all tried it and the controller just wasn't right every single time. Classically it isn't something the average console player wants either.

You can any regular ass USB mouse and keyboard, I just think that the console manufacturers might just try and push their own versions on people if they had the chance, that's all.

I saw this thread a few days ago, said "nah" in my head and moved on.

A day later Sony announce like 3 different strategy games for the PS4. The Tomorrow Children looks amazing.

The type of strategy games that I think will never really work on consoles are RTS games (Real Time Strategy). If anyone can point me to a SUCCESSFUL RTS game on a console that would be great. For example Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 2 was an RTS released for xbox and PC but the Xbox version was so unable to allow players some comfort that they didn't even release an expansion for Xbox.  

The type of strategy games that I think will never really work on consoles are RTS games (Real Time Strategy). If anyone can point me to a SUCCESSFUL RTS game on a console that would be great. For example Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 2 was an RTS released for xbox and PC but the Xbox version was so unable to allow players some comfort that they didn't even release an expansion for Xbox.  

Grim Grimoire for PS2 is an RTS that works quite well with a controller.  The game would play better with a mouse and keyboard though, but with a controller the game still plays fine.  Though that was a new IP and not a shitty port like Starcraft 64, because every game needs a 64.

I own XCOM: Enemy Within on PS3.

Why?

To be honest, I dunno. But it works fine for me.

One could argue that's because the new XCOM is dumbed down from the original UFO games. But chances are I'd suck at those anyway.

I've also got Valkyria Chronicles, which is pretty neat for a TBS game. Not to mention Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and the Advance Wars series and the Fire Emblem series. And I guess Digaea if you're into that sorta thing.

The console has a lot of good strategies, but they're mostly turn-based. Though 360 had Halo Wars which... was RTS? I'm not actually sure, I never played it. And Brütal Legend is also a pretty fun game, though good luck finding anyone who still plays it.

Though 360 had Halo Wars which... was RTS? I'm not actually sure, I never played it. And Brütal Legend is also a pretty fun game, though good luck finding anyone who still plays it.

Yes that was an RTS and now that I think about it there aren't many RTS games even being developed for consoles (Specifically unit creation based from buildings on a skirmish map). Makes me feel like some developers just aren't putting much into games like this anymore.