• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
marcoosi

Who still plays Medieval 2: Total War?

18 posts in this topic

Hello Angry Army,

I'm curious, who in this great Angry Army still plays Medieval 2: Total War? To me, this is by far one of my favorite RTS's I've ever played. But, I'm wondering if there are others here who still play. I'm thinking up a challenge of sorts and I'm looking for thoughts, ideas, etc...

-Marcoosi

I have it mainly for all the mods, Third Age is amazing. 

Actually, I have all of the total war games xD

marcoosi likes this

I still play it pretty regularly though mostly third age and warhammer fantasy mods

marcoosi likes this

I actually downloaded it again yesterday. With Ultimate AI mod it is especially good (the other factions actually grow, destroy eachother, and you can form lasting alliances)

marcoosi likes this

What sort of challenges were you thinkin of?

I'm working out some sort of a dynasty or house challenge. It's still a little hard to explain, but I will try my best.

I like the family tree aspect of the Total War franchise (was seriously bummed when I heard the Rome 2 stripped it out), and I am into Medieval history. I always found it interesting how the family backed then garnered their power through politics, wars, alliance, etc... So, a couple years ago (I've played this game A LOT...) I started tooling around with the idea of creating, or at least influencing my ruling family and the direction they take. Recently, I played as England, and beat the game. All the while, I noticed that my ruling family (House of Old Sarum, in this case) remained chivalrous through 3 generations, highly chivalrous at that.

A lot of this "challenge" (I think experiment is more of an apt description right now) is fluff based, and requires a decent amount of imagination. Back to my example earlier, the current king, is named Augustine. I also had him take his grandfather's and father's name of James, so he became James "Augustine" III. During his reign, he reunited all of Italy under the English banner, so as fluff, I renamed him James Augustus III, partially after Caesar Augustus. Of course when I beat the game, he finally became Emperor James Augustus III, High King of England, so on and so forth.

Sorry if it seemed like I rambled on and on, but the idea is to create a family and tell a story through their reign. I'm no where near furnishing rules or regs for this, and I was kind of hoping that there were more members of the Angry Army who played this, because I think this would be something interesting to do. Now I have to get back to getting ready for work, lol

Check out crusader kings 2. It has all of that and more in it but without real time controllable battles (uses math algorithms based on army composition, terrain, and leadership).

marcoosi likes this

Check out crusader kings 2. It has all of that and more in it but without real time controllable battles (uses math algorithms based on army composition, terrain, and leadership).

I was just thinking about that.

Crusader Kings 2 is basicly what you discribed. It's not so much a 4X as it is a medieval politics simulator. You play as a character, and you have to juggle all the tasks that come with ruling (mostly vassals)

One time I played as the Pety King of Leon (the kingdom of Spain had just split up as I started). The christian part of spain was split in 3 kingdoms, each one owned by an unmarried brother. Who were eachother's heir. Alliances in this game are purely based on family, and you get massive peneltys for attacking your allies, so I couldn't just take the land

So I started plotting their deaths right away. And on the public side, I helped them with wars to claim more land (which I'd get after the assasination succeded).

One of them I killed, but the other one produced an Heir of his own (then died under mysterious circumsances).

But I was still the only family the child had, and it'd take 16 years for the child to grow up (only than could it marry and make a new heir), so I simply kept helping him grow his empire, until a sudden and untimely death left me with 3/4th of Spain.

It was awesome.

You can also play as a vassal yourself, which adds even more political juggling

marcoosi likes this

Theres also a game of thrones mod for it (ck2) which basically turns it into a fantasy/medieval "how to be a dick" simulator. It adds a lot more to the game, not just aesthetics.

Shogun 2 ousted it for me. Empire and Napoleon didn't do it, but Shogun did. Still waiting to try Rome 2.

marcoosi likes this

I actually started playing it again recently, i'm playing as Spain atm. I always use the ultimate AI mod and played the third age mod quite a bit. I tried out the westeros mod but didn't really love it. 

marcoosi likes this

I still play it, both vanilla and modded. My most recent mod download for it was Hyrule: Total War, which is Zelda based. Lot of fun. But in my most recent game of vanilla, I played as Spain and I conquered all in my path.

marcoosi likes this

I played M2TW for a solid 2 years after it first came out, including all expansions and several mods. But after that, I was bored with it. This is why I get so angry over comments I've read over the years of complete retards who say crap like "I don't want M3TW to come out yet; they need to wait at least 5 more years". What?! If you don't want to play it, don't buy it. Seems like a simple concept to me. But for those of us chomping at the bit for a new version of the game, it's extremely frustrating that they wait so long between installments. Other franchises come out with new games roughly every 1-2 years; why can't the TW franchise? It's been 8 long years since the last MTW with no end in sight. With a dedicated team to each version of the TW series (rome, medieval, shogun, empire, etc.), there's no reason why that should be longer than 4 years. Especially with TW being the only game of its kind that incorporates turn-based strategy with real-time strategy. They fill a very specific niche that is incredibly addicting to nerds like me, and there's no way you can convince me they'd lose money if they pumped out these games more often. I'd buy every TW game that came out even if a new one came out every single year.    

marcoosi likes this

I played M2TW for a solid 2 years after it first came out, including all expansions and several mods. But after that, I was bored with it. This is why I get so angry over comments I've read over the years of complete retards who say crap like "I don't want M3TW to come out yet; they need to wait at least 5 more years". What?! If you don't want to play it, don't buy it. Seems like a simple concept to me. But for those of us chomping at the bit for a new version of the game, it's extremely frustrating that they wait so long between installments. Other franchises come out with new games roughly every 1-2 years; why can't the TW franchise? It's been 8 long years since the last MTW with no end in sight. With a dedicated team to each version of the TW series (rome, medieval, shogun, empire, etc.), there's no reason why that should be longer than 4 years. Especially with TW being the only game of its kind that incorporates turn-based strategy with real-time strategy. They fill a very specific niche that is incredibly addicting to nerds like me, and there's no way you can convince me they'd lose money if they pumped out these games more often. I'd buy every TW game that came out even if a new one came out every single year.    

I suppose the argument that can be made is that CA needs the 4-5+ years for development. It was roughly 2 years after Shogun 2 was released that Rome 2 launched, which was a total disaster. My understanding is that even with all of the patches, the game still runs pretty terrible. I wouldn't know from personal experience, I have a friend who is rather happy with it. But more often then not, I've heard Rome 2 is just terrible. For me, I tried Empire, and I was disappointed and irritated with the game. That's why I pretty much stay with Medieval 2. In my opinion, it is by far the most superior Total War game, with Rome 1 right behind it. So, in all honesty, I want CA to take as much time as they need to get the next Medieval right. If it were to have a bad launch of its own, I probably would never play another CA game again.

I understand your point, though. There are times I wish a new Medieval on the market. But, I would hope you would agree that CA should take the time to get it right.

Ohh, and they should go back to the original engine, and not that crappy Warscape engine, or whatever it's called.

All you need to do man is Buy Shogun 2 + DLC's and your set for life hahaha

marcoosi likes this