• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveyJones

Risen 3 out

19 posts in this topic

Heyyo,

Meh... pass. Risen 1 was alright. Buggy as all Pirana Bytes games are but plenty playable.. Risen 2 and Gothic 3 (not even the community patches can fix Gothic 3 tbh) were so terrible I'm not bothering with another one of their games. I'm done wasting money on their games. With plenty of Action-RPG's to chose from anyways these days? Some at discount prices compared to the full release price of Risen 3? ($50!?) There's no way it's worth that much money.

No Demo? That's extra sketchy to me tbh. Risen 1 had a demo it was good.. Risen 2 had a demo and it was balls... maybe they're worried about potentially losing sales if their game sucks? From what I've seen Escapist gave it a very negative review stating that the many flaws of past Pirana Bytes games are back with a vengeance... Gamespot saying the same thing that the game's quite buggy but decent if you get passed those flaws... definitely a "no thanks" from me. Heck! By the looks of it? It's just Risen 1 with a few tweaks and buggy ship battles...

If you watched Joe's stream last night you will find it hilariously bad. I don't think I heard one good comment from Joe about the game so Gamespot is wrong and looking past the flaws will not make it decent. Don't take my word for it though, watch Joe's saved stream for gameplay and graphics analysis and i'm sure you will agree.

Im playing it, and from the start i remember why i was always a mage on Gothic 3...

mm there is a counterattack skill that improves mele combat later on.

I don't think I heard one good comment from Joe about the game so Gamespot is wrong and looking past the flaws will not make it decent.

We all know the big review sites are old to the game devs. Not believing anything Gamespor, IGN or any othe "big" one claims.

That's why I follow a few youtubers like Joe. In their channels I can watch the gameplay and make my own oppinion.

Glaice and ThE_MarD like this

If you watched Joe's stream last night you will find it hilariously bad. I don't think I heard one good comment from Joe about the game so Gamespot is wrong and looking past the flaws will not make it decent. Don't take my word for it though, watch Joe's saved stream for gameplay and graphics analysis and i'm sure you will agree.

What was the saying? You can shine a turd as much as you want, but in the end it will still be a turd?

That said, I've never played any of the Risen games. I got them in a bundle (1 & 2) , but only because it had SR3 with all the DLC in it.

You can check Joe's youtube rant.

There he complained a lot about the combat, unresponsiveness of the controls and how the enemies teleport, jump forward, dodge everyhing, and attack so fast that he could hardly connect a single hit.

Later he complained that some island was recycled from Risen2 with no real changes.

Also, day-1 DLC for an extra 10 dlls.

ThE_MarD likes this

About the combat, im starting to disagree with a few things joe said on the video, maybe the problem is that he is playing with a control or little time with the game, i mean, yeah, the combat is plain AWFULL, i can just roll avoiding the WHOLE TIME while Bones kills everything, right now, i not longer have the problem with getting stuck on animations and being unable to do anything, im not good but im on it, im almost the whole time with the right mouse button pressed, that stops attacks + space bar + w/a/s/d i roll over to avoid attacks, if im doing an attack and i want to stop i just need to press right button to stop animation/attack, them do something else. At least on keyboard+mouse i do not have the problem he has on the video.

Keep in mind that the mele combat is also shaterred intro skills at the start you cant do much, that has been that way since the first gothics.

On top of everything else that has been said, the voice acting is awfull.

At least on keyboard+mouse i do not have the problem he has on the video.

From the vid, I got the impression Joe was playing on an Xbone.....

Yeah i think that may be a problem, i was having the exact same problems as he at first, but i was able to figure out, the controller think may be a problem because i need to combine mouse look with AWSD for that to be effective, thats a total of 2 direction controls plus about 3 buttons, not sure it can even be done right on a pad.

Still the combat is one of the worst i ever see, im going the magic way, so im not exploring it more than the basics, but im hearing that with skills the mele combat gets better, i mean, you are a starter character, you cant really expect to be able to easily kill even the most basic NPCs, go to play Gothic 2/3 and see what happens, there time you need to attack, times you can parry and times you need to avoid, parry and attacks are very limited whiout skills, so you need to avoid a lot at first, mostly its bad because of some things, some NPC do "teleport", its not really a "teleport", it seems that some attacks are not properly balanced the teleport seems to be an "attack" and i love it because thats the time to avoid and hit it from the side, the combat vs more than 1 is really difficult you are mostly rolling all over the place waiting an opportunity. And rolling... wtf, i can roll and roll and roll unlimited and NEVER get hit, i can be rolling towards him again and again while he tries and tries to hit me and it will never happen. Also the 3 hit combo, you need to time the attacks if you try to button smashing you get slower rate, and it only makes sence to try it when the npc is attemping a heavy attack.

To me, it seems too many elements stolen from AC and placed where they do not belong.

I'll never understand how people still buy the sub-mediocre Risen games because they are still fascinated by Gothic 1 & 2.

It just gets harder and harder to hold out hope for this series. I picked the first one up dirt cheap for only a few $ and thought it was pretty dull. Asking/expecting $50 for Risen 3 is just...well not really gonna happen. They should just not make anymore games and rethink how they can survive. These "AAA" Devs need to remember that bigger is not always better.

I looked at Joes video of him playing this and thought the game world was actually very nice, the gameplay was crap but all that money wasted making this game is just sad. I will not be picking this game up at any price.

Puntosmx likes this

(...) i mean, you are a starter character, you cant really expect to be able to easily kill even the most basic NPCs, go to play Gothic 2/3 and see what happens, there time you need to attack, times you can parry and times you need to avoid, parry and attacks are very limited whiout skills, so you need to avoid a lot at first, mostly its bad because of some things, some NPC do "teleport", its not really a "teleport", it seems that some attacks are not properly balanced the teleport seems to be an "attack" and i love it because thats the time to avoid and hit it from the side, the combat vs more than 1 is really difficult you are mostly rolling all over the place waiting an opportunity. And rolling... wtf, i can roll and roll and roll unlimited and NEVER get hit, i can be rolling towards him again and again while he tries and tries to hit me and it will never happen. Also the 3 hit combo, you need to time the attacks if you try to button smashing you get slower rate, and it only makes sence to try it when the npc is attemping a heavy attack.

The problem is that it presents a steep initial skill wall that many players will find that blocks their enjoyment of the game and pushes them to leave the game in frustration.

Initial levels should be easy enough for players to learn the basics of the game and get a hold of the control, an ramp up the difficulty gradually to test their learning and skill. It's game-dev science.

If your initial level has you rolling and not being able to handle a single base-level enemy with relative ease, then the difficulty curve is badly designed.

ThE_MarD likes this

I have never, ever understood how that series had made it past the first installment. I remember AJ review of Risen 1.

xzal likes this

Heyyo,

Angry Joe was playing the PC version with a gamepad I believe. I don't think he would buy two versions of the same crappy game twice... hopefully.

Yeah i think that may be a problem, i was having the exact same problems as he at first, but i was able to figure out, the controller think may be a problem because i need to combine mouse look with AWSD for that to be effective, thats a total of 2 direction controls plus about 3 buttons, not sure it can even be done right on a pad.

Ok... SO WHY WOULD THEY ADD GAMEPAD SUPPORT PLUS CONSOLE PORTS IF IT'S BROKEN!? Nah, There's PLENTY of third person games that have solid controls on gamepads... Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia, Witcher 2 (after patches like the "enhanced edition"), Two Worlds (even though it was balls, the gameplay worked), Two Worlds II and even Arcania: Gothic 4 had better controls (tbh I enjoyed that game cause the gameplay wasn't broken, it's just the storyline was boring).

That doesn't fly for me. Why only make a half-baked gamepad control scheme when releasing it on both the Xbox and Playstation? That's not an excuse dude.

Still the combat is one of the worst i ever see, im going the magic way, so im not exploring it more than the basics, but im hearing that with skills the mele combat gets better, i mean, you are a starter character, you cant really expect to be able to easily kill even the most basic NPCs, go to play Gothic 2/3 and see what happens, there time you need to attack, times you can parry and times you need to avoid, parry and attacks are very limited whiout skills, so you need to avoid a lot at first, mostly its bad because of some things, some NPC do "teleport", its not really a "teleport", it seems that some attacks are not properly balanced the teleport seems to be an "attack" and i love it because thats the time to avoid and hit it from the side, the combat vs more than 1 is really difficult you are mostly rolling all over the place waiting an opportunity. And rolling... wtf, i can roll and roll and roll unlimited and NEVER get hit, i can be rolling towards him again and again while he tries and tries to hit me and it will never happen. Also the 3 hit combo, you need to time the attacks if you try to button smashing you get slower rate, and it only makes sence to try it when the npc is attemping a heavy attack.

To me, it seems too many elements stolen from AC and placed where they do not belong.

So what you're saying is "it's ok" that the combat is broken at lower levels cause you have to level up to earn fundamentals? That's ridiculous. DICE tried that with flares on helicopters and jets... and it failed terribly. It was brutal being a starter pilot when fighting someone with flares unlocked or ground units with Anti-Air Lock-On Missiles... so after a few patches DICE made flares for all air units unlocked by default to give them a fighting chance. BAM, DICE fixed that problem in ONE game... Piranha Bytes still can't figure it out after Gothic 1, Gothic 2, Gothic 3 (worst game they ever made yet Gothic fans still "praise" it), Risen 1 (their "best" offering), Risen 2 and now Risen 3. That's just pathetic man! if Gothic 1 and 2 didn't get such a cult following? They would have gone bankrupt! Nowadays they just rely on "hardcore" fans of Gothic 1/2 for their current sales cause everyone else realizes there's better RPG's!

Gothic 3's combat is the biggest joke I've ever seen! All you do is just keep mashing left-click and it defeats most enemies since blocking sword swings seems to only work for the first three or so swings... after that? it usually goes right through their defenses (same three-block-limit for enemies attacking you btw) or the enemy will try to swing at you but your weapon will end up connecting before they have a chance! It doesn't have the solid combat of Two Worlds II or other RPG's... it felt as bad as Dungeon Lords or worse!!!

Ugh... people, please stop giving your money to Piranha Bytes until they make a solid game... Reality Pump (Two Worlds II) deserve your attention since their games seem to just keep improving as they go. I'm sure Two Worlds III will be an even better offering. Piranha Bytes either needs to make non-broken games or die out like Heuristic Park (they made the epic failed Dungeon Lords... also a third person action role playing game in third person view.. also had broken gameplay).

Puntosmx likes this

The blocking thing on Gothic 3 does work until you run out of endurance, and makes sence to me. But yeah the combat was mostly broken, i do remember they fixed that on the expansion, where the mele combat became really more dificult and tactical, but it was miles better.

And really you cant be complaining about having to get skills in a RPG to be better, if you are looking for Call of Duty with swords and magic you are on the wrong franchise, go and play Gothic 4, thats a textbook example of how to kill a RPG by making it console/casual friendly.

And i have no idea how the combat is with gamepad, im just saying ive been having all the issues that Joe was having at first until i figured out how to fight, and if you want to do it fine, but im not going to complain about behing bad in mele combat at first and having to get skills in a RPG.  If you ever played a Gothic game, except the 4th, they are all difficult, even in Gothic 3 is not that easy at mele you get killed all the time if you do it wrong, the whole game kill you the whole time if you do anything wrong, in Gothic and Risen you start as a nobody who cant kill a thing and you gona still be for a LONG time, they are all very punishable RPG games who requieres both ingame skills and personal skills to be any good at it, i do prefer that, the other option is a game where you cant get killed, even if you screw it all the time.

If you are a casual just STAY AWAY, i did not played Risen 3 in a week and i did not remember how to fight anymore, i played a bit today and i had to read what ive written here!

And i do not care about gamepad at all, gamepads just ruins games by having to limit the gameplay to it, if a gameplay is bad on gamepad i do not care, thats the console guys problem, im a PC gamer and im tired of see games over-simplified to be gamepad compatible, you are on the pc section btw.

And still, i did not like the game, actually im re-playing Gothic 2 and 3.

this is what Gothic 3 combat looks like in case someone did not play it.

Hurr durr, its so bad, melee system and ending. At first I found storyline great and explored Risen world around, but I should have completed it as fast as I could.