• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

12 posts in this topic

This is a topic to discuss, and share some of our favorite JRPG, and visual novel titles across all platforms. Some of my favorites are Persona 4, Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, Final Fantasy series, Agarest: Generations of War, The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, and so on.

Reply with some of your favorites, and explain why you love them so much!

Sure, well I also like Danganronpa(played only the first one), I am a Persona fan(3 is the best imo), Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner is also good, My favorite of all visual novels and pretty much all things is Fate Stay Night and I really like the Nasuverse. Final Fantasy is good I like the characters and it has a good battle system in most of the games. I am a huge fan of the Visual Art's Key visual novels and animes, I always get emotionally attached to the characters there. I have played a lot of Visual Novels, unfortunately a recent change of computers caused me to lose almost all my saves on my visual novels. I had a lot of visual novels that I cleared 100% on every route, so that is many hours of data and time lost. I plan to set aside some time later to complete my favorite ones again. My favorite character of all time in any platform or genre  everything is Saber True name: Arturia Pendragon from Fate Stay Night, she is the female version of  King Arthur; she is one of the protagonists of the series. She is a strong Knight devoted to her beliefs, titled King of Knights she is powerful in combat and equally fierce when eating. I have completed the Fate route in the Fate Stay Night Visual Novel, currently on the Unlimited Blade Works route. I haven't done a lot of reading of visual novels lately, the one I am currently working thorugh is called Yumina the Ethereal ( had to start over because of the data loss, was decently far too...)

BAD TC, BAD... you ask us to list JRPGs or VNs that we like and why, but you don't say why for your own, BAD! =P

Anyway my first VN was Eien no aselia kono no da...uhh.. I forget the rest...anyway JAST has since bought the rights to localize it officially and they released it as aselia the eternal. I never played the JAST version, I don't know if it's exactly the same, better, worse, whatever. But it was a great game, and I can't wait for them to effing release Seinarukana (part 2...they are done translating it but they have no mention of it on their site, I really don't know why). Anyway, I like it cuz it's a VN with gameplay. AS a VN it generally has a superior story and cast than a traditional RPG, and having gameplay elements actually adds to the characters too IMO.

I've also played thru yumina once, and I'm at like the 2nd last chapter on my 2nd playthru on hard..haven't played for quite some time though, too many other games are spamming me. I hear there is more actual story on hard and very hard, which is kinda lame if you ask me. I don't mind playing games on hard, actually normally I even prefer it, but it sucks that have to re-play so much of the game once or twice just to see the "true" ends. I like it for the same reasons as Aselia pretty much.

Next yup is Kamidori, alchemy meister or something like that. I forgot the full name... fan translation by aruduc (who incidentally is the same dude JAST hired to do seinarukana), it's a VN TRPG kinda thing, and it's EXTREMELY long. I think I'm at like 80 hours and I just barely finished the game but still have tons of optional post-game content to do (and I don't just mean hard mode, ng+, etc, but actual new shit, with its own story too based on the characters you used for the main game...pretty much the only thing that makes the "main game" the main game is credits appear after it and you unlock ng+ =P). Despite being much longer, I find the story on this game isn't that impressive, but it's very long, and you have a carpload of customization in terms of party members brought in battle, equipment to choose, how to build your characters, etc.

LAst for VNs is a game I'm reluctant to mention... The gameplay on it is actually really very good...But the cast is horrible...Sengoku rance. I can't enjoy that game anymore cuz the main character is a complete douchebag, and I just can't enjoy it =P, plus the game has way too much juvenile as fuck sex scenes that make me groan every time....but the gameplay is so good.. qq. The game kinda plays like a really complicated board game, and where battles are slightly automated. I mean you can interrupt the action and order your troops to do certain things, but the strategy there isn't as deep as the board-game portions of the game. Think of it like an ogre battle battle only with a little bit of user input.

Also,I'm pretty confident it's a fun as fuu game, but I just got turned off by the immediate juvenile tits at the start, Duel Savior. 

AS for JRPGs, I generally prefer ones with a deep and/or challenging combat system over ones with just a good story, though Trails in the sky and xenogears are definitely capable of being seen as good via story alone. I do like xenosaga too actually, but it seems like other people don't so much. I think they are just being too critical on it cuz it's NOT XENOGEARS, and they can't move on past that fact, but whatever. Trails' combat system is actually pretty good but for some reason I just found battles to not be as interesting as they could be before long. I'm told the 2nd game is much more difficult and will make them more enjoyable though.

two of my absolute favorite JRPGs based on combat mechanics are both doujin Touhou fangames...if you don't like Touhou shmups don't let that stop you from trying the fangames, because these two are honestly leagues better than their shmup counterparts imo... Labyrinth of Touhou (there are 2 actually, but the translation patch for the 2nd game is not quiiiite done yet.. it almost is though! You can definitely play it from start to finish, but some of the story dialogue isn't done, and uhh...well...you don't really play it for the story anyway).

Anyway Labyrinth of Touhou is a dungeoncrawler with great customization again. It's great because you select who goes in your party...of EFFING TWELVE, out of like... SIXTY. So yeah, each game can feel very different depending on who you put in your party. Also, every time you level a character up, you can select a stat that gets a 3% increase on top of its usual leveling amount, this doesn't sound like much but you reach level 100ish by the end of the normal game, and like 500 by the end of the expansion (though it's really more like 300 before you have a godawful grind from hell just for the final boss, contrary to popular belief, you do NOT need to grind int his game until that 30f, and anyone who gets that far loves it, people who qq you need to grind beforehand just suck, aren't playing right, and are blaming the game for needing to grind when they are being derp...that said, the game is quite difficult for a JRPG, so yeah, don't play if you want an easy game). Anyway, if you spend all your 3% bonuses into one stat or something over the course of the game, it can really make a character play differently.

Most people like to cram them into either attack or magic power depending on if their character is a melee or caster, but I actually find myself able to beat bosses at lower levels than other players by putting them into defensive stats for some characters (some characters like flan, chen, etc are DEFINATELY attack/magic power characters, but I like putting it into mnd for patchouli, or def for Remilia).

Anyway, in addition to that 3% bonus thing, you also get skillpoints in addition to experience points, and these can be spent to boost a character's stat by 4%. You get lots of skillpoints, and in just like an hour into the game you can level up a character's stats via skillpoints like hundreds of times already. It actually affects your stats more than leveling up itself, and you get to choose who gets them, and which stats, etc. Of course, the more skillpoints you spend on the same stat, the more expensive it gets, so it behooves you to spread out your spending to a certain extent, but there is definitely some variety of choice on how much you balance, how much you specialize, etc.

The other is Genius of Sappheiros, amazing jrpg, not a dungeon crawler this time, it's more like the SaGA series. There isn't too much customization, but the battles and the bosses are ridiculously well balanced. Nearly every boss fight feels like a final boss in most games, and the final boss.. ooh god the final boss. Playing this game gives you a deep sense of accomplishment. Even more than beating a roguelike for the first time. The only problem is if you're having too hard a time, leveling up doesn't actually help you as much as you'd think. So if you're really really stuck on a boss and you can't figure out the strategy to beat it, you're basically kinda screwed. There is a wiki site on this game but after playing thru the game twice and using the wiki once...tbh I never found the wiki to be any help at all with boss strategies lol, They always seem to do pretty poorly for me.

But yeah, beating the final boss, I felt like I just climbed a mountain, I felt even more accomplished than 1ccing Mushihimesama-futari (no not ultra mode, I'm not that good qq...).

There are more jrpgs I like but this is going on long enough. BAD TC BAD =P

Welp, this is tough for me since their are too many great ones, so here is the list of my favorite JRPGs and series and an explanation for a few of them.

The List:

1.  Tales Series

2.  .Hack// series

3.  Xeno games Gears/Saga/Bureiido

4.  Breath of Fire

5.  Dragon Quest/Warrior

6.  Jade Cocoon 1&2

7.  Lunar series

8.  Alundra

9.  Lufia

10.  Seiken Densetsu

11.  Mother Series

12.  Suikoden series

13.  SKIES OF ARCADIA!

14.  Resonance of Fate

15.  Ni No Kuni

16.  Shin Megami Tensei

17.  Golden Sun series

18.  Wild Arms series

19.  Baten Kaitos

20.  Atelier series

21.  Grandia

22.  MegaMan Battle Network series

23.  Chrono Series.....toooooo good.

24.  Star Ocean series

25.  Legend of Dragoon

OH god I've gotta stop!  Hands off keyboard..........

The Last Story is fucking terrible as are those shitty fucking games by Compile Heart.......Gotta Go!!!

Tales Series:

The Tales games are by far my favorite series.  Combat that is more than just mashing (X) over and over again, but instead involves interaction on your part.  Building up your combo, chaining various attacks together and then unleashing your mystic arte is way too satisfying.  Giving you a ton of secrets, side quests, and equipment as well as character interactions that make you get invested in the characters and the world.  Speaking of the world, these games bolster NPCs and enemies that you will find hard to hate and some that you will legitimately sympathize with.  I mean the ending of Xillia was probably one of the best endings to a Tales game I've seen.  It was just what it needed to be.  Finally, in a generation of games that seems to want to get rid of having multiple towns and shops.  Tales isn't ready to get rid of that yet and that is a plus in my book at least.  P.S. The skits are fucking terrific.

Skies of Arcadia:

You fly an airship in this game to navigate the overworld and you get into airship combat.  I think we're done here.

Well, just in case you wanted more I'll just say that the combat is a turn based action point system and it's really quite fun.  The characters and world are definitely something unique and different.  The games style makes it fairly timeless.

Atelier Series:

The Atelier series is a blend of old school turn based RPG mechanics with item creation.  The games typically focus on the item creation with reduced emphasis on the combat which makes the Atelier series feel unique and different when compared to other JRPGs.  With that said, the combat is still a lot of fun and is actually quite strategic.  Getting the right attributes on the right items(item creation) and then figuring out the best way to use the items to maximize efficiency(Combat system) is too enjoyable.

In speaking about VN's then I highly recommend the game utawarerumono an excellent turn based action game that can be really challenging at higher difficulties (from which u can get exclusive cg art for all that suffering). Got into it after watching the anime. Also got into Agarest recently and it's just fantastic, but can require a little bit of grinding for top tier items and killing bosses, especially end games bosses. Then the game that I personally enjoyed was School Days because it was animated and it blew my mind, a huge break from static text scenes, and has some pretty brutal endings. 

Now here comes the good part: Touhou RPG's are amaze balls. Touhou Pocket Wars and Touhoumon play out very similarly in terms of collecting gatchas/pokemon and duking it out on dungeons and tournaments and stuff. Sengoku Gensokyo is just like Sengoku Rance. Labyrinth of Touhou is just an amazing RPG although the enemies can kinda be unfair at times (looking at u Rinnosuke, so OP) but can be done with a good 12 crew setup with my favorite pure attack Remilia. Oh Touhou, how much I love you.

In speaking about VN's then I highly recommend the game utawarerumono an excellent turn based action game that can be really challenging at higher difficulties (from which u can get exclusive cg art for all that suffering). Got into it after watching the anime. Also got into Agarest recently and it's just fantastic, but can require a little bit of grinding for top tier items and killing bosses, especially end games bosses. Then the game that I personally enjoyed was School Days because it was animated and it blew my mind, a huge break from static text scenes, and has some pretty brutal endings. 

Now here comes the good part: Touhou RPG's are amaze balls. Touhou Pocket Wars and Touhoumon play out very similarly in terms of collecting gatchas/pokemon and duking it out on dungeons and tournaments and stuff. Sengoku Gensokyo is just like Sengoku Rance. Labyrinth of Touhou is just an amazing RPG although the enemies can kinda be unfair at times (looking at u Rinnosuke, so OP) but can be done with a good 12 crew setup with my favorite pure attack Remilia. Oh Touhou, how much I love you.

i've watched School Days, so I don't think it'd be worth playing at this point :/ but ill check out the other game!

BAD TC, BAD... you ask us to list JRPGs or VNs that we like and why, but you don't say why for your own, BAD! =P

Anyway my first VN was Eien no aselia kono no da...uhh.. I forget the rest...anyway JAST has since bought the rights to localize it officially and they released it as aselia the eternal. I never played the JAST version, I don't know if it's exactly the same, better, worse, whatever. But it was a great game, and I can't wait for them to effing release Seinarukana (part 2...they are done translating it but they have no mention of it on their site, I really don't know why). Anyway, I like it cuz it's a VN with gameplay. AS a VN it generally has a superior story and cast than a traditional RPG, and having gameplay elements actually adds to the characters too IMO.

I've also played thru yumina once, and I'm at like the 2nd last chapter on my 2nd playthru on hard..haven't played for quite some time though, too many other games are spamming me. I hear there is more actual story on hard and very hard, which is kinda lame if you ask me. I don't mind playing games on hard, actually normally I even prefer it, but it sucks that have to re-play so much of the game once or twice just to see the "true" ends. I like it for the same reasons as Aselia pretty much.

Next yup is Kamidori, alchemy meister or something like that. I forgot the full name... fan translation by aruduc (who incidentally is the same dude JAST hired to do seinarukana), it's a VN TRPG kinda thing, and it's EXTREMELY long. I think I'm at like 80 hours and I just barely finished the game but still have tons of optional post-game content to do (and I don't just mean hard mode, ng+, etc, but actual new shit, with its own story too based on the characters you used for the main game...pretty much the only thing that makes the "main game" the main game is credits appear after it and you unlock ng+ =P). Despite being much longer, I find the story on this game isn't that impressive, but it's very long, and you have a carpload of customization in terms of party members brought in battle, equipment to choose, how to build your characters, etc.

LAst for VNs is a game I'm reluctant to mention... The gameplay on it is actually really very good...But the cast is horrible...Sengoku rance. I can't enjoy that game anymore cuz the main character is a complete douchebag, and I just can't enjoy it =P, plus the game has way too much juvenile as fuck sex scenes that make me groan every time....but the gameplay is so good.. qq. The game kinda plays like a really complicated board game, and where battles are slightly automated. I mean you can interrupt the action and order your troops to do certain things, but the strategy there isn't as deep as the board-game portions of the game. Think of it like an ogre battle battle only with a little bit of user input.

Also,I'm pretty confident it's a fun as fuu game, but I just got turned off by the immediate juvenile tits at the start, Duel Savior. 

AS for JRPGs, I generally prefer ones with a deep and/or challenging combat system over ones with just a good story, though Trails in the sky and xenogears are definitely capable of being seen as good via story alone. I do like xenosaga too actually, but it seems like other people don't so much. I think they are just being too critical on it cuz it's NOT XENOGEARS, and they can't move on past that fact, but whatever. Trails' combat system is actually pretty good but for some reason I just found battles to not be as interesting as they could be before long. I'm told the 2nd game is much more difficult and will make them more enjoyable though.

two of my absolute favorite JRPGs based on combat mechanics are both doujin Touhou fangames...if you don't like Touhou shmups don't let that stop you from trying the fangames, because these two are honestly leagues better than their shmup counterparts imo... Labyrinth of Touhou (there are 2 actually, but the translation patch for the 2nd game is not quiiiite done yet.. it almost is though! You can definitely play it from start to finish, but some of the story dialogue isn't done, and uhh...well...you don't really play it for the story anyway).

Anyway Labyrinth of Touhou is a dungeoncrawler with great customization again. It's great because you select who goes in your party...of EFFING TWELVE, out of like... SIXTY. So yeah, each game can feel very different depending on who you put in your party. Also, every time you level a character up, you can select a stat that gets a 3% increase on top of its usual leveling amount, this doesn't sound like much but you reach level 100ish by the end of the normal game, and like 500 by the end of the expansion (though it's really more like 300 before you have a godawful grind from hell just for the final boss, contrary to popular belief, you do NOT need to grind int his game until that 30f, and anyone who gets that far loves it, people who qq you need to grind beforehand just suck, aren't playing right, and are blaming the game for needing to grind when they are being derp...that said, the game is quite difficult for a JRPG, so yeah, don't play if you want an easy game). Anyway, if you spend all your 3% bonuses into one stat or something over the course of the game, it can really make a character play differently.

Most people like to cram them into either attack or magic power depending on if their character is a melee or caster, but I actually find myself able to beat bosses at lower levels than other players by putting them into defensive stats for some characters (some characters like flan, chen, etc are DEFINATELY attack/magic power characters, but I like putting it into mnd for patchouli, or def for Remilia).

Anyway, in addition to that 3% bonus thing, you also get skillpoints in addition to experience points, and these can be spent to boost a character's stat by 4%. You get lots of skillpoints, and in just like an hour into the game you can level up a character's stats via skillpoints like hundreds of times already. It actually affects your stats more than leveling up itself, and you get to choose who gets them, and which stats, etc. Of course, the more skillpoints you spend on the same stat, the more expensive it gets, so it behooves you to spread out your spending to a certain extent, but there is definitely some variety of choice on how much you balance, how much you specialize, etc.

The other is Genius of Sappheiros, amazing jrpg, not a dungeon crawler this time, it's more like the SaGA series. There isn't too much customization, but the battles and the bosses are ridiculously well balanced. Nearly every boss fight feels like a final boss in most games, and the final boss.. ooh god the final boss. Playing this game gives you a deep sense of accomplishment. Even more than beating a roguelike for the first time. The only problem is if you're having too hard a time, leveling up doesn't actually help you as much as you'd think. So if you're really really stuck on a boss and you can't figure out the strategy to beat it, you're basically kinda screwed. There is a wiki site on this game but after playing thru the game twice and using the wiki once...tbh I never found the wiki to be any help at all with boss strategies lol, They always seem to do pretty poorly for me.

But yeah, beating the final boss, I felt like I just climbed a mountain, I felt even more accomplished than 1ccing Mushihimesama-futari (no not ultra mode, I'm not that good qq...).

Damn, you went pretty in-depth for that. I'll tell you why I like some of those games so much.

Persona 4: I love Persona 4 in specific because it blends an average life for a teenager, and it's dark labyrinth dungeon crawling action, as well as it's excellent story telling, and character design.

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc: What isn't to love about this thrilling drama? This relies on it's strong character development, and bonds. The trial scenes are very fun to play, but you have to be paying close attention the whole time throughout the game to be able to complete it. >>Kyoko Kirigiri is my waifu<<

Those are 2 of my favorite games of all time, and brief explanations why. 

Welp, this is tough for me since their are too many great ones, so here is the list of my favorite JRPGs and series and an explanation for a few of them.

The List:

1.  Tales Series

2.  .Hack// series

3.  Xeno games Gears/Saga/Bureiido

4.  Breath of Fire

5.  Dragon Quest/Warrior

6.  Jade Cocoon 1&2

7.  Lunar series

8.  Alundra

9.  Lufia

10.  Seiken Densetsu

11.  Mother Series

12.  Suikoden series

13.  SKIES OF ARCADIA!

14.  Resonance of Fate

15.  Ni No Kuni

16.  Shin Megami Tensei

17.  Golden Sun series

18.  Wild Arms series

19.  Baten Kaitos

20.  Atelier series

21.  Grandia

22.  MegaMan Battle Network series

23.  Chrono Series.....toooooo good.

24.  Star Ocean series

25.  Legend of Dragoon

OH god I've gotta stop!  Hands off keyboard..........

The Last Story is fucking terrible as are those shitty fucking games by Compile Heart.......Gotta Go!!!

Tales Series:

The Tales games are by far my favorite series.  Combat that is more than just mashing (X) over and over again, but instead involves interaction on your part.  Building up your combo, chaining various attacks together and then unleashing your mystic arte is way too satisfying.  Giving you a ton of secrets, side quests, and equipment as well as character interactions that make you get invested in the characters and the world.  Speaking of the world, these games bolster NPCs and enemies that you will find hard to hate and some that you will legitimately sympathize with.  I mean the ending of Xillia was probably one of the best endings to a Tales game I've seen.  It was just what it needed to be.  Finally, in a generation of games that seems to want to get rid of having multiple towns and shops.  Tales isn't ready to get rid of that yet and that is a plus in my book at least.  P.S. The skits are fucking terrific.

Skies of Arcadia:

You fly an airship in this game to navigate the overworld and you get into airship combat.  I think we're done here.

Well, just in case you wanted more I'll just say that the combat is a turn based action point system and it's really quite fun.  The characters and world are definitely something unique and different.  The games style makes it fairly timeless.

Atelier Series:

The Atelier series is a blend of old school turn based RPG mechanics with item creation.  The games typically focus on the item creation with reduced emphasis on the combat which makes the Atelier series feel unique and different when compared to other JRPGs.  With that said, the combat is still a lot of fun and is actually quite strategic.  Getting the right attributes on the right items(item creation) and then figuring out the best way to use the items to maximize efficiency(Combat system) is too enjoyable.

Thats a pretty big list man! ill be sure to check out some of those.

Sure, well I also like Danganronpa(played only the first one), I am a Persona fan(3 is the best imo), Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner is also good, My favorite of all visual novels and pretty much all things is Fate Stay Night and I really like the Nasuverse. Final Fantasy is good I like the characters and it has a good battle system in most of the games. I am a huge fan of the Visual Art's Key visual novels and animes, I always get emotionally attached to the characters there. I have played a lot of Visual Novels, unfortunately a recent change of computers caused me to lose almost all my saves on my visual novels. I had a lot of visual novels that I cleared 100% on every route, so that is many hours of data and time lost. I plan to set aside some time later to complete my favorite ones again. My favorite character of all time in any platform or genre  everything is Saber True name: Arturia Pendragon from Fate Stay Night, she is the female version of  King Arthur; she is one of the protagonists of the series. She is a strong Knight devoted to her beliefs, titled King of Knights she is powerful in combat and equally fierce when eating. I have completed the Fate route in the Fate Stay Night Visual Novel, currently on the Unlimited Blade Works route. I haven't done a lot of reading of visual novels lately, the one I am currently working thorugh is called Yumina the Ethereal ( had to start over because of the data loss, was decently far too...)

Well, i played Persona 4 on the vita, and i found that was the perfect place for it, since i would lay in bed and stay up all night playing it. P3 didnt really grab me as much as 4 did though. I felt the Dark Hour was just less interesting than the Midnight Channel.

Rance isn't a douchebag, he's a glorious and strong warrior that get's all the girls. Pretty impressive in my opinion.

Rance isn't a douchebag, he's a glorious and strong warrior that get's all the girls. Pretty impressive in my opinion.

I'm going to assume you're kidding because if not you need help. For those of you who don't know better and might be convinced that this rance series has some kind of inspiring MC that you would like to be...THIS is basically all he does for the entire game... note that you don't always get to pick the "cleaner" choice, you WILL be an absolute douchebag monster no matter what:

6oeiyu.jpg

gahaha.jpg

I could post like 5000 images like this.. it's pretty much all he does...It's actually kinda funny in the sense that the developers really couldn't have made him a bigger douchebag if they TRIED...The reason why I don't enjoy it so much is because it never ends, it's there the whole time, it gets old...but the game develops many other characters, you actually kinda care about these characters, but in the end they all end up being plowing dummies for the main character... and NOT because he somehow earns their affection, the few times it is affection, it's out of deceit or something.

I mean I don't mean to bag on anyone who likes the game, it's fun, and I'm not saying people should be offended, it's a game, it's imaginary, it's fake, that doesn't matter. I personally just don't like playing as a character, being given "choices", and being forced to be a douchebag against my will, that's all. I end up feeling bad.

I'm going to assume you're kidding because if not you need help. For those of you who don't know better and might be convinced that this rance series has some kind of inspiring MC that you would like to be...THIS is basically all he does for the entire game... note that you don't always get to pick the "cleaner" choice, you WILL be an absolute douchebag monster no matter what:

6oeiyu.jpg

gahaha.jpg

I could post like 5000 images like this.. it's pretty much all he does...It's actually kinda funny in the sense that the developers really couldn't have made him a bigger douchebag if they TRIED...The reason why I don't enjoy it so much is because it never ends, it's there the whole time, it gets old...but the game develops many other characters, you actually kinda care about these characters, but in the end they all end up being plowing dummies for the main character... and NOT because he somehow earns their affection, the few times it is affection, it's out of deceit or something.

I mean I don't mean to bag on anyone who likes the game, it's fun, and I'm not saying people should be offended, it's a game, it's imaginary, it's fake, that doesn't matter. I personally just don't like playing as a character, being given "choices", and being forced to be a douchebag against my will, that's all. I end up feeling bad.

I can see that you haven't played the earlier games, his problem is that he's got a big ego. In Sengoku Rance he's this world renowned hero so obviously he's got an even bigger ego than usual. Yes, he might be an asshole sometimes(like in the pictures you posted) but he still saves people and most of all he get's shit done. The games make fun of heroes, there's this guy in the games that could be considered the "true hero". The thing is that he's always too late to stop the bad guys since he's always busy helping people with they're problems. Rance manages to get things done since all he cares about is getting laid, not helping people. If you would compare Rance to a real life person it would probably be Gengis Khan, just like Gengis Khan he lives by his own set of rules. And just like Gengis Khan he sees sex as a reward you get after battle, not something that's consentual or nice. Unlike Gengis Khan Rance seem to have some morals since he doesn't slaughter entire populations. When I play RPGs I usually play as a cocky asshole so I wasn't too bothered by Rance tbh.