• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Recoveryanonymous

Gaming monitors?

15 posts in this topic

The new G-sync monitor from Asus comes out on the 26th of this month and I debating whether I should I get it or a regular high rez IPS monitor.

The PG278q swift

http://www.asus.com/Monitors/ROG_SWIFT_PG278Q/

3D, 27", G-sync, ULMB, 144hz, 2560x1440p, 1ms response time. 8-bit TN.

It's pricey at 800 dollars, but it's also the first panel to go above 1080p and 60HZ.

I'm just wondering what your guys' preference for monitors are and if there's maybe a better set-up for my two gtx 770s 4gb to push. My budget is $800 though. Do you think a multi-monitor set up could work better?

Don't really have a preference. My monitor is a Dell E2414H 24". 1080p, 5ms response time, and 60Hz. Does the job fine.

I never used a multimonitor setup, and the one you placed sounds good, but it's within your budget. I say go for it.

Recoveryanonymous likes this

It's honestly mostly preference. I, for instance, would prefer to just have 1080p 144Hz, which I do (ASUS VG248QE). Spending 800 USD on a monitor is pretty ridiculous. So yeah, if I were you I would just stick to 1080p 144Hz, you could get more than one of those for the price of one PG278Q. Hell, if you wanted, you could get the 1080p 144Hz monitor from ASUS, and a G-Sync kit, and install it yourself.

Recoveryanonymous and ThE_MarD like this

I mostly wanted to get a high resolution above 1080p since I have 4gb cards. I originally bought the 4gb cards to mod Skyrim, (which I have enjoyed very much so) but the extra memory goes to waste in all my other games and applications since I only play at 1080p. I also thought games like Witcher 2, Metro Last Light and Mass Effect heavily modded and New Vegas modded might look great enjoying a higher resolution.

Originally I was just going to get one monitor (Still probably will) but good monitors with thin bezels can look really neat lined up clockwise at a 90 degree pivot. That set up may be hard to maintain in modern games at high settings though and G-sync would help there.

Decisions...

My preference is inexistent.
I've always had CTR screens, and the LCD ones I've used for computing are part of the laptop I own at that moment.

The specs look awesome, and it's very nice to have such a high refresh rate coupled with such a low latency.
I'd wait until it becomes cheaper, but for over-the-top gaming and league playing, it should be awesome.

Heyyo,

2k looks awesome... especially since FXAA is a joke on most titles (*cough* world of tanks) so doing 2k would be nice just to help combat jagged lines... but at the same time? Trying to maintain a solid 60 FPS even at 1080P isn't always easy unless you have a really expensive system... which is what humors me about people bitching that PS4 can't do 60fps at 1080P... but for a sub-$400 system? What it manages to pull off is pretty impressive. MAYBE, if they had a $800 double-performance system? or maybe a multi-PS4 setup much like GPU's on PC and then it couldn't do 60fps at 1080P pulling off the graphics it currently does? Then yeah, I'd be choked lol. :P

But I digress... 2k monitors is very nice, but the price is painful... maybe in five years when it's more practical that I'll buy one... but for now? my 27" 1080P @ 60Hz Asus monitor satisfies my needs.

G-Sync is a really awesome piece of technology... but limiting it to only nVidia GPU's really sucks... I'd probably end up waiting for the more open adaptive sync technologies to come out and see how the prices compete.

[EDIT1]

WHOA WHOA WHOA!!! The monitor features a built-in crosshair overlay!? That's a big no-no for me... It's pretty much admitting you have no-skill and cheat in stuff like Battlefield Hardcore modes... That's just plain sad... Asus, for shame for adding in such a dirty feature and promoting this behavior.

2k looks awesome... especially since FXAA is a joke on most titles (*cough* world of tanks) so doing 2k would be nice just to help combat jagged lines... but at the same time? Trying to maintain a solid 60 FPS even at 1080P isn't always easy unless you have a really expensive system... which is what humors me about people bitching that PS4 can't do 60fps at 1080P... but for a sub-$400 system? What it manages to pull off is pretty impressive. MAYBE, if they had a $800 double-performance system? or maybe a multi-PS4 setup much like GPU's on PC and then it couldn't do 60fps at 1080P pulling off the graphics it currently does? Then yeah, I'd be choked lol. :P

Do you think two GTX 770's would choke on 1440p? I have no illusions of maintaining a constant 144fps or 120fps in modern titles on ultra, but do you think they could manage for 60fps? My thinking is that the two cards would be great for 144hz on slightly older games and the G-sync would help with the newer games where more strain is on the gpu's.

[EDIT1]

WHOA WHOA WHOA!!! The monitor features a built-in crosshair overlay!? That's a big no-no for me... It's pretty much admitting you have no-skill and cheat in stuff like Battlefield Hardcore modes... That's just plain sad... Asus, for shame for adding in such a dirty feature and promoting this behavior.

To be honest, I didn't even realize the monitor had that feature till just now :lol: . I'm interested in its specs. That seems like a weird little gimmick, not a selling point. At least to me anyways.

no you shouldnt get it until at least 1 year or the next model

thats how it goes in the industry, if you pick it up you put yourself at certain risks such as malfunction or typical complicated issues with the product

Heyyo,

Do you think two GTX 770's would choke on 1440p? I have no illusions of maintaining a constant 144fps or 120fps in modern titles on ultra, but do you think they could manage for 60fps? My thinking is that the two cards would be great for 144hz on slightly older games and the G-sync would help with the newer games where more strain is on the gpu's.

Yes, dual GTX 770's would do fine at 1440P... BUT, make sure you get the 4GB versions. Them ultra resolutions with all that extra information can potentially have framerate problems with only 2GB per card.

Here's an example of what I mean:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Frame-Rating-High-End-GPUs-Benchmarked-4K-Resolutions/How-Current-Cards-Stack

Single Card Performance

If we limit our options to single cards, whether they be single GPU or dual-GPU, the battle is even more interesting. Because AMD's new Radeon HD 7990 depends on CrossFire technology to perform, the 13.5 beta driver that still has the runt frame and frame time variance problems places it in a very bad light compared to NVIDIA options like the GeForce GTX Titan and the GeForce GTX 690.

The GTX 690 is comprised of two NVIDIA GK104 GPUs that run in SLI, but NVIDIA's multi-GPU options do not demonstrate the same performance issues that CrossFire does thanks to hardware frame metering technology. As it stands today, the GTX 690 is clearly the best card for 4K gaming under $1000. Even better than the GK110 based Titan, the GTX 690 only suffers in a couple of cases with the 2GB frame buffer per GPU despite the 6GB that reside on Titan. Most of the time the frame metering on the GTX 690 produces nearly as smooth animation with better frame rates.

Recoveryanonymous likes this

I got the 4gb versions so I should be alright then. Cool.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I can't really go and make a decision to buy or not just yet anyways because Asus is being very obtuse about the release date. Now it may be postponed again passed the 26th. C'mon Asus, I need user reviews - The more, the better.