• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The_Magnificent

Angry Joe vs Risen and his latest Stream

19 posts in this topic

From what I have seen, Joe seems to have no idea what to do in this game and how to play it.  In his latest Stream he somehow managed to have a Companion with him (finally!) and his combat skills improved and he didn't act like he is pissed all the time for no reason. So, overall  improved but still bad :D.

Normally, after the starter island you choose a faction which you want to join. The Demon Hunters on Calador for example, you do the Factions Quests, join them and after that you can summon allies, cast Spells, new dodge animation (teleportation), new armor/weapons and then you go for the other quests (huge amount on every island) or stay on Calador and keep bashing the shadows there and free the island first (don’t know if possible right after joining). I don't see him anywhere near joining a faction so far. 

You may want to learn smithing, I did that and was able to craft a new shiny sword. No idea where I got the instructions from but it is blue, can't be bad xD.

And for god sake, when you are on a ship, talk to a companion and pick the "come with me" line. Bones can heal you, makes it easier.

Combat needs some patching, it annoys the shit out of me sometimes but it is manageable.

Let’s see the next stream…. uff :D Maybe this will help a little.

Ickis99 likes this

Just don't bother, it's an awful game and it's not worth wasting your time on it.

It's not like Joe is an ejeet who doesn't know jack what to do in games, that he sucks at it and that's why he hates the game.

And it's not like Risen is the next Eve Online when it comes to the learning curve / game mechanics.

Just don't bother, it's an awful game and it's not worth wasting your time on it.

It's not like Joe is an ejeet who doesn't know jack what to do in games, that he sucks at it and that's why he hates the game.

And it's not like Risen is the next Eve Online when it comes to the learning curve / game mechanics.

It is a good game as a whole, but you shouldn't bother if you don't know anything about it :D.

Joe is good in strategy games. EvE online, that torture is another story xD. But thanks for your.... well thought comment, it was a nice addition ähm. Beginners can get lost in Risen 3, that is why I wrote down a red line.

Ickis99 likes this

Based on watching his video and seeing the overall Steam reviews, it doesn't look good at all. It doesn't look like the developer learned a damn thing from Risen 2's messy launch.

I think he's playing to review it?

Based on watching his video and seeing the overall Steam reviews, it doesn't look good at all. It doesn't look like the developer learned a damn thing from Risen 2's messy launch.

It improved a lot but the combat is still crappy. Awesome Gothic feeling if you join the Demon Hunters. A loooot of talking, that might not be for everyone especially since the english voice actors sound akward. But yeah .... they could have done better. It is wort a shot as a Risen fan since it goes more into the direction of the first one. At least it is not a Gothic 3 desaster, that game was unplayable at the start!

Little clumsy, the combat is easier later on, inventory is like the one in Kingodms of  Amalur (that is not good). But the huge amount of content makes up for it. Great game for explorers and open world fans. Wait for a price drop and you may be happy if you like these types of games.

But people need to relax, the YouTube comments under the rant video are aweful.

Review is coming for sure... lets see how that turns out.

At the end, everyone has to decide for themself.

I would give the game 72% xD

I kinda know what I'm talking about.

I have a history in games of over 15 years.

Played Gothic1 and 2 when they launched. Enjoyed them immensely.

But these guys at Pyranha Bytes never made anything good after. In fact, they made only crap.

Gothic 3: crap, Risen1: crap, Risen2: woohoo what a load of crap, Risen3: less crap than Risen3, still crap.

Wonder how long they will keep making games relying on peoples nostalgia for Gothic 1 & 2.

I just finished Risen 3 and i think it was very good. It kept me motivated except for the very last Island (because i already had every available upgrade, so exploring every nook and cranny was pretty pointless). The Combat works way better after you get a feeling for the rhythm and combination of parrying, dodging and Riposte. Unfortunately the ending was quite short an unimaginative and they should have made more out of the seafights. I would give it something between 8 and 8.5 out of 10.

Joe´s stream sounded pretty biased, almost as if he already decided, that the game is a failure in the first 3 mintues of playing.

For me, the only game in the Risen/Gothic Universe that really failed was Gothic 3. Completely unplayable and after the Community fixed most of the bugs, it just felt empty.

The_Magnificent likes this

I kinda know what I'm talking about.

I have a history in games of over 15 years.

Played Gothic1 and 2 when they launched. Enjoyed them immensely.

But these guys at Pyranha Bytes never made anything good after. In fact, they made only crap.

Gothic 3: crap, Risen1: crap, Risen2: woohoo what a load of crap, Risen3: less crap than Risen3, still crap.

Wonder how long they will keep making games relying on peoples nostalgia for Gothic 1 & 2.

First of all, I can't do anything with a statement like "crap". Now I write, Risen 1 and 3 are not "crap". What now? Whoever writes the most “crap” wins?

C'mon man, comments like that are giving me a headache. I played every Gothic as well and maaaaany times with each faction and I hope they continue making games.

Well what do you prefer then? Terms like ,,boring", ,,buggy", ,,unfinished", ,,lame", stuff like that?

And how exactly did you gave the score ,,72"? Why not 74? Or 68?

No, it's not an awful game. It's a good game, not perfect but good,  6/10 or 7/10. 

The problem is that he sucks at it and that's why he hates the game. He didn't even bother to learn the combat or understand the tutorial messages. He just bashes the attack button randomly then complains that the animations are too long and clumsy. The combat is timed based, he has to attack in rhythm to get the fast animations.

Here's a combat tutorial video:

Plenty of people sent it to Angry Joe from worldofrisen forum but of course he doesn't bother to watch it. He already decided in the first 10 minutes that the game is bad.

They obviously don't have the Bethesda or Bioware amount of money to make their games.

Well what do you prefer then? Terms like ,,boring", ,,buggy", ,,unfinished", ,,lame", stuff like that?

And how exactly did you gave the score ,,72"? Why not 74? Or 68?

It isn't boring. I haven't seen any major bug in my playthrough. It is not unfinished. It isn't lame.

Btw this is not the first time Joe bashes a game because he's bad at it and we can see this a lot more because he streams everything now. And he doesn't understand that this is an RPG and not an action-adventure game like Ass Creed. I'm really disappointed in Joe.

The_Magnificent likes this

No, it's not an awful game. It's a good game, not perfect but good,  6/10 or 7/10. 

The problem is that he sucks at it and that's why he hates the game. He didn't even bother to learn the combat or understand the tutorial messages. He just bashes the attack button randomly then complains that the animations are too long and clumsy. The combat is timed based, he has to attack in rhythm to get the fast animations.

Here's a combat tutorial video:

Plenty of people sent it to Angry Joe from worldofrisen forum but of course he doesn't bother to watch it. He already decided in the first 10 minutes that the game is bad.

They obviously don't have the Bethesda or Bioware amount of money to make their games.

It isn't boring. I haven't seen any major bug in my playthrough. It is not unfinished. It isn't lame.

Btw this is not the first time Joe bashes a game because he's bad at it and we can see this a lot more because he streams everything now. And he doesn't understand that this is an RPG and not an action-adventure game like Ass Creed. I'm really disappointed in Joe.

You have your opinion and Joe has his.  Skill is only a small factor when it comes to wether you find the game enjoyable or not.

To those defending this game saying that Joe thinks it sucks just because he doesn't know how to work a time based combat system.... maybe, but I seen enough of Joe to know that he is a competent player.

So I'm going to pitch another possibility, the time based combos in this game are to slow, to repetitive and not engaging enough.  Here is some footage from the original Devil May Cry (Remastered XBox 360 play more specifically).  The game is also 3rd person, mixes time based melee combat and gunplay, uses similar similar rolling and evasive mechanics and originally came out 13 years ago.  Yet the difference is night and day.

Although they're not the same genre the fundamental design of the melee combat controls are very similar and we have seen the DMC style of combat in RPG's.  Personally in this day and age, I feel that the combat in Risen could be and should be much better than it is.

I am glad someone made the effort to produce these videos. Very good job with them. Shame that the most will not bother watching them. Thanks for sharing,

@ Crazycrab

Joe is a competent player? You watching the same stream? lmao ! :-D He is a funny guy and allright, but a casual player at best. Not sure what Devil May Cry has to do with this game, the next person is going to post Mortal Combat or something?^^  Risen 3 is not a combat game, it is an open world RPG ^^.

You may keep that in mind for your next comparison. You can't judge a open world rpg on the combat alone, Skyrim combat is boring as fuck but everything else is great.

Anyway.... I mainly created this thread to offer some help and not to transfer the fighting from the Youtube video to this forum.

When is Joe going to post a review of this game? He said that Risen 3 will be reviewed this month, but nope. I don't want anymore hiatus because I almost left the channel due to the lack of reviews this year or the fact that none of the games for him to review this year?

I am glad someone made the effort to produce these videos. Very good job with them. Shame that the most will not bother watching them. Thanks for sharing,

@ Crazycrab

Joe is a competent player? You watching the same stream? lmao ! :-D He is a funny guy and allright, but a casual player at best. Not sure what Devil May Cry has to do with this game, the next person is going to post Mortal Combat or something?^^  Risen 3 is not a combat game, it is an open world RPG ^^.

You may keep that in mind for your next comparison. You can't judge a open world rpg on the combat alone, Skyrim combat is boring as fuck but everything else is great.

Anyway.... I mainly created this thread to offer some help and not to transfer the fighting from the Youtube video to this forum.

Did you even read my post?  I explained exacly why I referenced Devil May Cry, I acknowledged they weren't the same genre, didn't criticize any of Risen's RPG elements and your right about not judging a game one aspect but combat is all that's been discussed on this thread.

Joe isn't the only one who has been critical of this in both Risen 3 and 2 so rather than white knighting I would focus on telling the devs about how the game might be improved.

the next person is going to post Mortal Combat or something?^^  

A Mortal Kombat RPG?  Actually that sounds..... Um..... NAH!

I just dont get why they go and change the main character, and the one we has now u dont know anything about him and the voice acting in the game is so horrible u just skip all chat. the boss fights are a joke, what is this a mmo, if this game is anything it's an mmo becase all u will do is grind it, so if u like grinding this game is for u. the ending is horrible just like risen 2 ending. 

I still dont like the idea that u need to have a companion the first 10 hours of the game because u will die otherwise whats the point? and it's still a pirate theme I feel not medival at all in the game. It can be addictive after a while when u start beat every monster fairly easy, still it's just grinding. the problem is the difficulty spikes when u get a good weapon everything becomes to easy except the last boss fight where it just gets bs hard.

I would give this game a 4/10 and I regret spending my money on it...