• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

frogben998

Anyone else not like using a mic because of your voice?

28 posts in this topic

I tend to not use a mic because i'm afraid some people will think i'm a little annoying kid.

Faravahar1200 likes this

Bro, you shouldn't care what people think of your voice, especially on the internet. I wouldn't give damn if your voice sounded like your balls went up into your stomach or some shit. 

Now having a shitty microphone...

I think the reason people find the "little kid" voice annoying is because they link it to the whinning and complaining you hear in games like Battlefield, CoD, and other FPS games when the kid is getting destroyed in a match.

Nothing to be afraid of, we were all young with that same voice once, it all depends on your attitude. Act like the kid you see in the video and youll be treated like that kid, act like a normal human being and youll be treated like a normal human being. :P

Bimpy782 likes this

it will only sound like an annoying little kid if you start acting like an annoying little kid. Even the most manly, deep voice can sound like an annoying little kid...trust me i know lol

just use the mic and dont worry about it :P

Apex Spartan and 2and900 like this

I'm 13 midway into puberty and my voice is still pretty squeaky, I'm jokey and absent minded. I did get made fun of by a few people in AJSA's ESO Teamspeak didnt care and muted though some liked me

Here's what happens to me with my voice and unfortunately I'm 24 so I don't have the puberty excuse anymore:

UK: LOL! You sound like Alan Carr/David Mitchell

Everywhere else: Oh hi! ( Reacting perfectly normally )

Americans: Oh hi British dude!

American Girls: ZOMG! British accents are hawt! < To be honest, this one freaks me out more than the Alan Carr/David Mitchell comments O_O

^ Exaggerated but totally true, this kind of thing happens to everyone, we all have our quirks that some people take a lot of notice of, also, I don't mind people noticing my voice, but if you make a big deal about it constantly I'll rip you to pieces because you're just being a deliberate asshole.

Puntosmx likes this

I dont like using mics but i dont AVOID it.

That said in a recording i think i sound like strong sad...

it will only sound like an annoying little kid if you start acting like an annoying little kid. Even the most manly, deep voice can sound like an annoying little kid...trust me i know lol

just use the mic and dont worry about it :P

I'll be damned if i hear dwayne johnson bitching about getting killed in cod

Here's what happens to me with my voice and unfortunately I'm 24 so I don't have the puberty excuse anymore:

UK: LOL! You sound like Alan Carr/David Mitchell

Everywhere else: Oh hi! ( Reacting perfectly normally )

Americans: Oh hi British dude!

American Girls: ZOMG! British accents are hawt! < To be honest, this one freaks me out more than the Alan Carr/David Mitchell comments O_O

^ Exaggerated but totally true, this kind of thing happens to everyone, we all have our quirks that some people take a lot of notice of, also, I don't mind people noticing my voice, but if you make a big deal about it constantly I'll rip you to pieces because you're just being a deliberate asshole.

Blame: Doctor who, sherlock, one direction, basically anything else on bbc, oh and tom hiddleston

What I found weird is that when using a mic, the uniqueness of your voice really comes out. Because when my friends and I hang out IRL we all have that mid-teens changing voice deep thing, so our voices all sound similar. While on PSN we all sound different.

I usually auto mute everyone besides my friends anyway.

I played a game of Rogue Trader (but we made it orky so we were ork freebooterz) on roll20 and there was a player who refused to use the mic for the first 2 sessions because he thought his voice sounded annoying or something. When he finally did use the mic, he sounded completely normal with a slight scottish accent.

I personally think my own voice sounds dumb but nobody has complained yet, so I guess it's just my own perception of my voice.

Unless you act childish, blast music into the mic, or become obscene and offensive, most people won't care what you sound like over the mic

Blame: Doctor who, sherlock, one direction, basically anything else on bbc, oh and tom hiddleston

Thanks for giving me more reasons to hate the BBC than I already have lol :P

I don't like using my mic at all. I guess you could say I don't like the sound of my voice. But also pressing the button to talk seems like so much work too, lol.  I will use it if I have to, but otherwise you can read what I have to say along with <3, :D, or wataver else I put into the sentence.

I sound like Barry White on the mic so im all good.

Its just the messages from all the women i cant handle afterwards.

HeroEightyTwo likes this

I use it more lately especially when playing on the game nights with the PS4 AJSA players but I'm not a fan of my voice.

Exactly once someone complained about my voice in TS.
Exactly zero fucks were given that day.
So, don't worry. Just be cool and let the haters do their stuff.

Well, I'm minimizing microphone usage and talking in general, not just in gaming, because of a medical condition that started in 2012. It causes me to cough pretty badly when not talking, but more so when I do try to speak. I could still be understood, and will talk when completely necessary or when the coughing isn't too bad that day. But I usually will stay off the microphone for gaming.

I've led some Arah runs in Guild Wars 2, teaching people who are new to the dungeon by typing instructions and explaining stuff on the keyboard. And as long as those instructions were followed, things went pretty well. It took longer compared to when I spoke, but the times I had to type it out was when we ran with some PUGS anyway, so they wouldn't always be on the Guild's Teamspeak / Mumble.

But I do dislike the sound of my voice even before the condition started. Even then, I still used the microphone somewhat often in MMO's. I was somewhat talkative if the people on the server were the ones I regularly play / hang with in-game.

Think this condition is also part of the reason that I haven't bought a G930 yet. I've been eyeing that headset for a few years now. But I keep remembering that I'm hardly on the mic nowadays anyway so it would sort of be a waste.

I swear I must be experiencing one of the worst bouts of deja vu, It seems like I was reading a topic about this just yesterday...

Anyways, I tend to play a lot of games which would require constant communication between myself and my teammates ranging anywhere from just simple chit chat to "Holy Mother of God, Who the fuck is running CAS!?"

But I have to admit I don't really like using my mic since, regardless of which one I use my voice is just so monotone I come out sounding much younger than I actually am. I think it has something to do with the service I'm using but I can never be too sure, either way I usually end up straining my voice just making it sound deeper so I don't get confused with someone from Liverpool... whatever that means.

Still, VON is necessary for a lot of games (The number of which increases each and every day) so until the day comes where we can all communicate using holographic messaging systems or conveniently large TV screens hidden inside desks, I'll stick with my headset.

Puntosmx likes this

Before, I nervously use a mic in front of the gamers worldwide because of my voice which mistaken me as an "Indian" despite that I'm a Filipino.

I prefer to use a mic but I have no privacy and I'm always surrounded by people and noise so I never do.

Mere mortal humans couldn't even begin to fathom the comprehension that is needed to attempt to decipher my vocalizations.

That, and... well. Yeah.

Cthulhu.

Puntosmx likes this

Mere mortal humans couldn't even begin to fathom the comprehension that is needed to attempt to decipher my vocalizations.

That, and... well. Yeah.

Cthulhu.

Just drop the Valley Girl accent and you'll be fine.

Sol Omega likes this

I tend to not use a mic because i'm afraid some people will think i'm a little annoying kid.

You have it easy.

I stutter.  I lose my train of thought, sometimes forgetting words for minutes at a time.  I have unnatural pauses in my sentences, sometimes in the middle of words.  I might as well sound like I have autism, except I don't.

And yet I still will use the mic whenever necessary.  I used not to out of some weird principle, but now I use it.