• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kaz32

Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright review. How is it? Well......

17 posts in this topic

I finished experiencing the crossover game Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright. And I have to say...... Sigh...... It's quite exhausting. This game is so freaking long....... AND IT'S INCREDIBLY FUCKING FANTASTIC!!!! OMG this game, it's definitely an experience worth playing through for fans of both Professor Layton and Ace Attorney series, or hell, even for newcomers of the series. One of the best crossover game I have ever played and certainly one of the best games of 2014. Wait, scratch that. It is the best game of 2014 so far.

Professor_Layton_vs._Phoenix_Wright_Ace_

The concept itself is already awesome: Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright together, two iconic finger pointing badasses that solves mysteries and find the truth in the most awesome way possible. Now you may have doubt whether this will work or not in this game, but man oh man, it works so damn brilliantly.

The story of this epic crossover starts with Professor Layton receiving a message from his former student Carmine Accidenti, who was hospitalized after crashing his car. That in itself makes me laugh so hard. Carmine asks Professor Layton to help solve the mystery of a town called Labyrinthia, and to protect a girl named Espella Cantabella that came from this city. Phoenix met Espella later when him and Maya were invited to England for a special court case. After a tutorial sort of missions that both of them faces, they found a green book which sucked them into the town of Labyrinthia. From that point on, the hilarious, depressing and epic adventure of Layton and Wright begins.

Now I'll say this about the plot. The plot is essentially more like a Professor Layton game plot than a Phoenix Wright game plot. If you have played more than 2 or 3 Professor Layton game and have finished them all, you'll know what I'm talking about. Layton is always one step ahead and he's still pretty much the main protagonist that saves the day. The difference here is in this game, it's so much more epic with Phoenix Wright in the mix. He makes an already good plot into a fantastic journey, which is why this crossover works so well. The game will not work if it just features Layton and Wright by their own. Well actually it can but it will not be as epic. The graphic in this game is a mix between Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright, so some characters will look normal while others look cartoony, which is quite funny especially the more ridiculous characters later. The music of this game, oh mamamia, so glorious! Both Phoenix's and Layton's theme are in this game, plus new songs like this that just makes your blood pumping.

The gameplay of this game is a mix between the usual puzzle solving segment of Professor Layton and the epic contradiction finding gameplay of Phoenix Wright. You know the drill with Professor Layton game puzzles. Talk to strangers, solve puzzles, and you're all good. There's some tricky ones that is not so obvious at first glance, like that find which mice is in which category puzzle that makes me scratch my head, the stamp game, and a few others. One epic puzzle involves a key, where the answer is "the key to the lock is in the key", and it's appropriately named the "turnabout puzzle". This one is quite awesome, and sadly it's the only puzzle in the game where Phoenix finds a contradiction in a puzzle to find the real answer. There should be more of this kind of puzzle. Maybe in the sequel.

The courtroom segment is where it's all about. Holy dang hell, this game has one of the hardest trials in the Ace Attorney series. The cases in Trials and Tribulations are slightly harder than this. But it's ok because it's also one of the most epic in the series. Even though the life bar is back to the 5 exclamation marks life bar from the first game, you will lose those quick if you are not careful. Most of the courtroom segments in this game has more than 1 witnesses, which in itself is already new and cool and later on, I'm not kidding here, there's 10 witnesses. 10!! Holy crap!! And it's quite hard finding holes in their testimonies because it requires you to press and backtrack a lot of statements. Sometimes when you press a statement, another witness will have another input on the situation while you are pressing them, indicated by dots on their head. These are vital to progress and find contradictions during parts where nothing is contradictory. Sometimes these dots are just distractions, and sometimes there's a lot of witnesses that has an input so you'll have to pick which witness has the most relevant info to your case. Simply put, it's challenging. If you screw up and get a game over, even if you have a save file, you'll have to restart from the beginning of the testimony, so be careful. On the bright side, the payoff of the trials are awesome incarnate: Phoenix and Layton pointing their fingers to the culprit at the same time! Whooooooooooooooooooohoooooooooo! AWEEEEESSOOOMMEE!

Overall, fantastic game from start to finish. Really long too, 30 well spent hours, and that's not counting bonus puzzles and extra scenarios that took place after the main game, which has absolutely no fourth wall and it looks at all the characters in the main game. I give this game the rating of "so damn freaking awesome that you can't wait for the sequel (if there is any, but there better damn well be)". I don't know if this game is canon for both games, but it's very much well deserves to be canon.

OBJECTION

The game, while enjoyable, feels like a dumbed down version of both games. The puzzles are easy to solve, and the court cases literally tell you what to do. It didn't require much hard thinking for the game mechanics, but overall the game was good. I'd still recommend the first games in the series to anyone interested though, instead of this one.

Kaz32 likes this

I don't think it's a cool game, but I enjoyed dual destinies way more...

OBJECTION

The game, while enjoyable, feels like a dumbed down version of both games. The puzzles are easy to solve, and the court cases literally tell you what to do. It didn't require much hard thinking for the game mechanics, but overall the game was good. I'd still recommend the first games in the series to anyone interested though, instead of this one.

I don't think it's a cool game, but I enjoyed dual destinies way more...

OBJECTION-random-27209375-1950-1440.png

That's allright. It's based on personal preferences. I for one don't think much about the puzzles because every one of the Layton games are the same thing. They all give puzzles to solve before the main story, some trickier than others, but it's all just that, puzzles to distract you from the main story. And I think the courtroom sequence is one of the hardest ones in the series even with all the hints you got, unless you use a hint coint. I don't use it though because the fun in the game is from figuring what's wrong yourself. I finished Dual Destinies before playing this and that game is super easy, perhaps the easiest game in the series besides Apollo Justice, but it's awesome nevertheless because of the story.

All I care about is the story and how it's presented. That's what Phoenix Wright games are initialy, visual novels. And this game is great in telling an epic one, especially the last trial. Holy snap that one's crazy.

Walrus likes this

O.o... Sorry guys, I was half asleep, when I wrote that. I wanted to write: 'I don't think, it's a bad game' but than I thought, actually it's even a pretty cool game, so I ended up writing: 'I don't think, it's a cool game.' -_-

Still I don't think it's the best game of 2014, probably not even on the 3DS. But it was quite enjoyable :)

That's allright. It's based on personal preferences. I for one don't think much about the puzzles because every one of the Layton games are the same thing. They all give puzzles to solve before the main story, some trickier than others, but it's all just that, puzzles to distract you from the main story. And I think the courtroom sequence is one of the hardest ones in the series even with all the hints you got, unless you use a hint coint. I don't use it though because the fun in the game is from figuring what's wrong yourself. I finished Dual Destinies before playing this and that game is super easy, perhaps the easiest game in the series besides Apollo Justice, but it's awesome nevertheless because of the story.

All I care about is the story and how it's presented. That's what Phoenix Wright games are initialy, visual novels. And this game is great in telling an epic one, especially the last trial. Holy snap that one's crazy.

AA5_Holdit.png        That may be true for the Layton series, BUT THE PHOENIX WRIGHT SERIES HAS MORE TO OFFER.

This title dumbs down the court cases, making things alot easier. For example, those text bubbles in court. In Ace Attorney (First Game) You had to trust your gut and hold every line they say, and put any evidence up to bat. It was alot more eh- Suspenseful.                              Edit: The Earlier DS games were easier by the way, if you can't get em on DS just emulate them, they are really hard.

AA5_Holdit.png        That may be true for the Layton series, BUT THE PHOENIX WRIGHT SERIES HAS MORE TO OFFER.

This title dumbs down the court cases, making things alot easier. For example, those text bubbles in court. In Ace Attorney (First Game) You had to trust your gut and hold every line they say, and put any evidence up to bat. It was alot more eh- Suspenseful.                              Edit: The Earlier DS games were easier by the way, if you can't get em on DS just emulate them, they are really hard.

PWAADD_Objection!.png

I see.... so THAT'S it. You have not played this game at all! You are basing your knowledge of this game from Projared's review!

Unfortunately for you witness, this review is filled with contradictions. Nothing he said is actually a negative because the point of this game is to show an epic crossover between Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright, and because he's an expert gamer, he quickly doesn't find the game enjoyable because he just compared it to the previous games and just rush his thoughts on reviewing the game. He's a cool guy, but sometimes his reviews are questionable. This is no exception.

Recall these things you said:

"This title dumbs down the court cases, making things alot easier. For example, those text bubbles in court. In Ace Attorney (First Game) You had to trust your gut and hold every line they say, and put any evidence up to bat. It was alot more eh- Suspenseful."

There are several things that are just wrong with that statement.

1) That's because it was supposed to be that way because there's more than 1 witnesses. In the middle of the first witch trial, it was Professor Layton who teaches Phoenix this method because every testimony has no contradiction. Every witnesses has plausible testimony, and the only way to debunk their testimony is to see the reaction of other witnesses that's hearing a witness saying something. After that happens, a new testimony with contradiction will present itself.

2) Sometimes more than 1 witness will have a text bubble on their heads, and sometimes the testimony itself is just trapping you and it just makes things tricky to guess. The third case in particular has one involving a parrot, and while pressing a testimony, all of the text bubbles are actually a trap that can get you completely confused because you are supposed to not answer them.

3) The cases with the text bubbles are not at all straightforward. The easiest one in the entire game is the first one where there's only one witness as usual. The ones with multiple witnesses, ESPECIALLY the last trial with 10 witnesses will make your head spin. And the one with the cat. How the hell am I supposed to know that you're supposed to press a statement till the end, wait for the cat to appear, and then pressing a specific testimony and then pointing to the cat while the witness say something? I was confused hard during that part.

Also this quote

"Edit: The Earlier DS games were easier by the way, if you can't get em on DS just emulate them, they are really hard."

I played all of them. This and Trials and Tribulations is by far the hardest games in the entire series, the easiest being Apollo Justice and Dual Destinies. Trials and Tribulations has the "ultimate penalty" that will give you an immediate game over if you screw things up, the second case is the hardest of them all, in particular at the end where Luke Atmey says something and you're supposed to press only 1 testimony out of 10 he's saying. If you screw that part, it's game over.

Actually at least that one allows you to go to a save point and continue from there. In this game, even if you save the game, when you fail, you have to start over from the beginning of a testimony. So in a sense, this game is harder!!

Takethat.gif

phoenix_wright_objection.jpg

I have a little extra thought I would like to say. The reason why you think the game is merely "good" is because you think the game is "easy" and "dumbed down". I have found the contradiction that it's in fact not dumbed down and it's in fact quite hard if you don't know what you are doing. Besides, since when is Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright games' main strength in their gameplay? It's their stories that makes them great! The puzzles and trials are there to give you a bit of a brain training, while the stories and presentation, especially the music themselves are the ones that makes the games special! That's why Dual Destinies is so awesome even though it's one of the easiest game in the series!

Well witness,

large.jpg

What do you have to say for yourself?

phoenix_wright_objection.jpg

I have a little extra thought I would like to say. The reason why you think the game is merely "good" is because you think the game is "easy" and "dumbed down". I have found the contradiction that it's in fact not dumbed down and it's in fact quite hard if you don't know what you are doing. Besides, since when is Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright games' main strength in their gameplay? It's their stories that makes them great! The puzzles and trials are there to give you a bit of a brain training, while the stories and presentation, especially the music themselves are the ones that makes the games special! That's why Dual Destinies is so awesome even though it's one of the easiest game in the series!

Well witness,

large.jpg

What do you have to say for yourself?

(I've got nothing to loose by doing this besides, well, everything) Would you say the game is easy to EVERYBODY, or just to you? You created the contradiction to try to put me down in this case. Never the less, I had a hard time playing the first two games in the series, while this certain game was a walk in the park. So I leave you with two things, This Eye-Witness account of mine and this-OBJECTION-random-27209375-1950-1440.png

Kaz32 likes this

(I've got nothing to loose by doing this besides, well, everything) Would you say the game is easy to EVERYBODY, or just to you? You created the contradiction to try to put me down in this case. Never the less, I had a hard time playing the first two games in the series, while this certain game was a walk in the park. So I leave you with two things, This Eye-Witness account of mine and this-OBJECTION-random-27209375-1950-1440.png

Wait..... What?? There's just so many things contradictory with that statement!

What exactly does this mean??

"Would you say this game is easy for EVERYBODY, or just to you?"

Since when did I say the game's easy? I said it 3 times already that this game is one of the hardest games in the series besides Trials and Tribulations while Dual Destinies is one of the easiest besides Apollo Justice!

Plus this statement

"I had a hard time playing the first two games in the series".

These 2 games are the ones that are easy and straightforward. The hardest part of the second game is at the end of the game where you have to know to present the videotape to Shelly the Killer without any indication, and if you mess that part up it's game over. The third one is the most difficult because cases 2, 4 and 5 has unclear clues of what happens during the crime unless you pay really close attention, especially the last part of the second case where you have to press a specific statement or else it's game over. And the ultimate penalty that decreases all of your life bar. Witness, if you indeed played the games, the first thing that will pop out of anyone's mind of which one is the hardest game is Trials and Tribulations the third game, not the first two!

And this

"While this certain game was a walk in the park"

All that matters in court is "evidence". I gave you 3 sets of evidence already based on my experience with the game which shows undeniable proof that the court cases in this game with the multiple witnesses is tricky and not at all straightforward or "easy". You on the other hand just say it's easy. Where is your evidence?

Plus I already debunked the entire argument that difficulty in an Ace Attorney game doesn't matter. What matters is the story and how well it is presented! So this whole testimony

large.jpg

is completely invalid!

Wait..... What?? There's just so many things contradictory with that statement!

What exactly does this mean??

"Would you say this game is easy for EVERYBODY, or just to you?"

Since when did I say the game's easy? I said it 3 times already that this game is one of the hardest games in the series besides Trials and Tribulations while Dual Destinies is one of the easiest besides Apollo Justice!

Plus this statement

"I had a hard time playing the first two games in the series".

These 2 games are the ones that are easy and straightforward. The hardest part of the second game is at the end of the game where you have to know to present the videotape to Shelly the Killer without any indication, and if you mess that part up it's game over. The third one is the most difficult because cases 2, 4 and 5 has unclear clues of what happens during the crime unless you pay really close attention, especially the last part of the second case where you have to press a specific statement or else it's game over. And the ultimate penalty that decreases all of your life bar. Witness, if you indeed played the games, the first thing that will pop out of anyone's mind of which one is the hardest game is Trials and Tribulations the third game, not the first two!

And this

"While this certain game was a walk in the park"

All that matters in court is "evidence". I gave you 3 sets of evidence already based on my experience with the game which shows undeniable proof that the court cases in this game with the multiple witnesses is tricky and not at all straightforward or "easy". You on the other hand just say it's easy. Where is your evidence?

Plus I already debunked the entire argument that difficulty in an Ace Attorney game doesn't matter. What matters is the story and how well it is presented! So this whole testimony

large.jpg

is completely invalid!

urk! I guess you win.

(But in all seriousness I will remember this thread forever, this was such a great time)

Kaz32 likes this

urk! I guess you win.

(But in all seriousness I will remember this thread forever, this was such a great time)

I know man! This is so much fun! Let's do this again with another game later. ;)

Walrus likes this

I know man! This is so much fun! Let's do this again with another game later. ;)

I second that motion ^_^

And I was going to make a review of this game. Nice job.

Kaz32 likes this

And I was going to make a review of this game. Nice job.

Thanks! Hopefully you enjoy the game as much as I did.

Thanks! Hopefully you enjoy the game as much as I did.

You're welcome. As an Ace Attorney fan, I enjoyed it.