• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
destrocto64

Why Destiny Sucks and well, the few things I like about it. SPOILER ALERT

30 posts in this topic

The Story.

The Story is lackluster and the ending is full of holes in my opinion.  The Dialogue between your PC and Ghost are lacking in attachment, emotion, and just downright annoying to hear. 

The Voice over work for the Ghost is annoying. And stale, and in comparison to Halo everything we put Bungie on such a pedestal for, just doesn't fit in my opinion.  It's nothing like Cortana and John's relationship, which lets face it the whole idea of having a ghost was ripped from.  And the floating sphere of Guilty Spark 343 was transformed into this spiky shell.  Guilty Spark may have indirectly always been trying to kill you (until your encounter on the Arc where it damn well wanted to kill you)  But he at least well had that spark of life to him. 

After the Moon I just couldn't bare to even try and follow the story anymore because its not like you even know if you're playing it in the correct orders sometimes when half the story missions are unlocked after the first mission and the lines connecting them don't make sense. 

I then Stumble upon the final mission, and how you kill this black ooze that apparently controls all the vex, is just......  the fucking thing is a moron ok.  Its a fucking moron.  Plain and simple.  We can't touch it or shoot it, or do anything to hurt it, but it decides it has to defend itself with three guardians ONE AT A TIME!!!!   And only because it was stupid enough to try and protect itself.  Were we able to kill it.  This almighty destructive "god" of the vex.  This singular Hive mind which is ironic since there's this other race called the HIVE!!! I mean seriously Bungie wtf. 

The entire issue with the rest of the story is nothing is given real context or backstory to it at all(at least in-game).  How are all these races connected to the Darkness?!?!  

And finally all our lore and backstory that should be in the game, is on cards on their website.

If my game doesn't have a solid story, and single player experience its shit in my book. 

The Campaign's Game Mechanics

All of it, is, kill, wait for the next wave, kill.  Rinse and repeat.  Even the Boss fights, especially on higher difficulties they throw more waves of minions and at faster intervals.  Add that to the fact that they have a lot more health, higher velocity weapons.  And all of them have an AOE melee or close combat denial ability.  Make them all extremely similar and boring to fight after your first time.  There is no unique way of fighting them. There is no boss where it is better to fight up close and personal or circle them while firing.  Because they all counter that with ease.  The only way to fight difficult bosses or bosses on your level is to sit behind cover at long range, and pelt at them when you get a breather from killing their minions. 

I would have LOVED some puzzles or interesting ways to take out the bosses or just something other than sit your ass behind cover, kill the minions, then shoot the boss while he ain't lookin. 

The vehicles well the Pike is OP in a sense and the Wraith oh oops sorry I mean interceptor(both using code developed for Halo's Ghost and Wraith vehicles and frankly their boost mechanics as well) sucks ass except when fighting the goliath tank.   Wanna farm easy xp to level up your character without having to do missions? grab a pike and mow down those endless waves of forever spawning enemies.  Which is more fun than regularly shooting them.  And I'm the guy who takes a hand cannon or scout rifle and gets over 60/70% precision kills.  Which makes playing with players who aren't as skilled and effective, annoying because then it feels like the fight drags on and on(especially for boss fights) when they can't handle the minions anywhere nearly as well as I can.  And don't put much damage into the boss either. 

Shooting Mechanics

The Shooting mechanics are very generic, and all of the base weapon functions are obvious rip offs of Halo weapon mechanics which doesn't work all that well when the Heavy weapons never actually feel like heavy weapons, except for rocket launchers when you have a mass grouping of enemies.  All other times, your primary weapon will be able to put out equal if not more DPS than those weapons, and has plenty of ammo around at all times.  The heavy weapons are just meh at times. 

For Special Weapons, Sniper Rifles are easily the best weapons in fighting PVE,  Shotguns PVP.  My K/D skyrockets when using the Shotgun on 90% of the maps because they were all built to have you fight in close quarters.   Super high rate of fire normal weapons like auto rifles are OP in a sense because they have the ability to pelt out more damage and more flinch chances on your enemy than any other weapon.  Using the hand cannon is significantly superior to a scout rifle because even if you're accurate with it, when someone uses an auto rifle on you they will out DPS you if they know how to aim.  This may not be true because I haven't had a formal area to test the weapons against each other without dealing with missing a few rounds and thereby losing DPS.  

Super Mechanics

Hunter is UP in PVP, Titan is OP and Warlock is OP.  Both have Large blast area abilties that instakill all the way to the outermost reaches of the blast.  Whereas the Hunter has to rely on accuracy with their golden gun, or hope no one carries a shotgun when using bladedancer. 

For example, a Titan or warlock can clear an entire control point in an instant whereas a Hunter would take 3 to 5 seconds to fully clear the room with their ability, and even then the golden gun can only fire three rounds every use.  Yes the Blade dancer has other subskills to add to it like an AOE spin attack that damages everything around you, but this is just not the same as a Titan using their Slam abilities.   I could go more into this but I'm winding down now and putting less effort into describing the reasons behind these statements. 

Class Differences

Hunter Grenades suck in comparison to the other to classes in PVP, and its annoying as flying fuck when I throw my knife like a GOD DAMN PRO and penetrate your smug little face with the blade and you live even though its a FUCKING headshot with a throwing knife.  I mean come on what the fuck is the point of having a high skill ability that travels at a slow velocity and even take LEADING A TARGET when it can't kill the son of a bitch when you hit his face?!?! 

PVP is a bore after 10 matches and a chore to deal with

Each PVP match takes around 10 minutes to complete and only gives you 10 rep per.  Meaning you'd have to get through over a 100 matches at least to get the first rank of rep for the Crucible.  Yes you have bounties but you're limited to 6 or so every few hours or more, and they only offer 50, 75, or 100 rep for completing them.  Thus forcing PVP to be a grind instead of a fun experience because lets face it, Shotgun on every map other than the moon with a Pike and Interceptor, and you're fine. 

PVP is also plagued by the radar system which is well for one, limiting, because it isn't precise in the slightest at times and throws you off more than helps you.  And is not like a motion sensor where if you aren't moving or are crouched you can't be detected, so even though my hunter class can stealth, (very limited and has to wait a couple seconds and then only lasts like 15, so you have to know how to time it JUST right to take advantage) anyone paying attention to their radar can easily deduce where I'm at especially if say, its in a small room or right around a corner as I'm probably sitting there with my shotgun to blast them away. 

Ships, in space, but, no combat?

You give us TONS of variants of base model ships so we can have something pretty to look at while we're in orbit or loading a map but you couldn't fucking give us even the most limited space combat you gave Halo: Reach? THE ONE THING YOU DIDN'T FUCKING RIP OFF FROM HALO THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN FUCKING PERFECT FOR THIS GAME JUST HAD TO BE THIS?!?!?!?! 

Ships also have about 6 or 8 base models with many variant parts slapped on or removed.  Yeah they look awesome but they're still pretty damn similar in the end, and well.  THERE'S NO SHIP COMBAT!!!  I can't believe I let gamestop sucker me into buying the damn season pass.  I hate that manager for hiring people who knew how to sell a game. (humor)

NEW!

A little bit of what I like

Cloak physics.  No not the stealth mechanics but the cloak you wear as a hunter I love the physics they applied to it. I'm more entertained by swinging around my cloak, than by getting 12 to 15 headshots of Hive with my The Devil You Know.

I also hate and enjoy the exotic bounty mechanic, it was well developed and thought out.  If you want some super epic weapon you have to put work towards it.

The Sparrow, I wish it could climb better but I love the vehicle code nonetheless.

Destroying other players when I snipe. Shooting them off their Pike's or interceptors.

The Headshot animations are beautiful(even on a non-HD screen).

All the guns that have blue textures for them.

Graphics. They went all out. they should be commended for it, but not given a free pass on all the other crap.

The Fan on top of the triangle building in the Tower.

Ranking up Cryptarch rep gets you more engrams.

The ship designs and many having Blue in them.  (yes my Favorite color is Blue)

The ghost (Nah I'm just kidding that ghost is terrible.)

The progression system is unique and works well.  What I don't like however is how unclear it is on what gets point towards unlocking in your subclass first. 

I also welcome any new criticisms you wish to add or how you think the Hunter's Super's are not UP in comparison to the other classes.

BRAND NEW!!!! READ ALL ABOUT IT!

THE RAID

The raid was brilliantly done.  I am almost done with it my friends and I are going to finish it today.  Took us 5 hours to get up to the section before fighting Atheon.  We didn't know what we were doing we did have to check the internet a couple time to know where the chests were.

IT has everything you could ever want in a campaign.  This is what you play the game for not the story.  I cannot forgive them for their shitty logic in the story ending and all that.  But I can give them a chance if they make raids like this.   This game knows how to make a great raid that is entertaining.  You will enjoy it up until the point where you have some friends who aren't as skilled as you and you feel like you're doing 90% of the work to kill all the minions.  We took about 5 1 minute breaks to calm down and a snack break and a piss break.   At some point you may get aggravated and frustrated with your team if you feel like its more their fault you're failing then passage and at some points I do get condescending. 

Their are guides to get through the raid already. 3 chests that give either gear or ascendant energy or shard(much more reliable to raid every day for them than to hunt public events down for em) First boss that gives gear for completing without letting any vex sacrifice themselves.

You need High impact weapons here or everything will fuck you in the ass.  The ability to make them flinch or stun them is highly needed for all aspect of the raid.  Well except the labyrinth you have to navigate.  With Gorgon's that will auto kill all of you if one of you gets caught. 

Raid is best part of this game by far.  But I fear I will never enjoy any new plot or story added to this game for their failure to give proper logic to the base story and ending.

More of what I like:

Sparrow makes a beeping sound when you are hovering in reverse. 
Ok my final critique of this game is they went all out on every little bit of making the world unique in a sense that everything has all those little QoL functions added to them.  The Game progression mechanic is unique in it of itself, the Raid and future raids are and hopefully will continue to be awesome.  But The game's story is ruined for me.  I do not care about its world anymore and that is the sad fact about this.  They put massive amounts of work and effort into every vehicle and their animations to make them as beautiful and realistic in a sense of function as possible.  But they did not put enough effort into the story to really make the base build of the game a great game.  If the story wasn't completely fucked and the ending ridiculous in the sense that you couldn't have killed the boss if he wasn't so stupid as to defend himself from us when we were no threat to it at the time.  The game is average if you want a game with multiplayer and all that destiny has and a GOOD story and lore build to it.  But it doesn't  so if you like this game for everything other than the story yes its the game for you.  Hey I'm still playing it, I just had to get over the fact that the story is garbage and Bungie will probably never make anymore campaigns or any that are good at least.  Because they will focus primarily on the raid factor for the game. 

TL;DR:  The audio and visuals are brilliantly done.  Progression mechanics unique and refined.  Multiplayer aspect is well done.  PVP is Meh in the fact that it isn't a massive scale like for some reason the writer for the tool tips decided to write as the description for the combined arms playlist(fucking moronic dickhead lying his ass off) And that Shotgun beats all as usual.  I will admit though having my Thorn Hand cannon ability to pierce targets and add a DOT to your target is fun and rewarding as hell.

The Game is unique I'll give it that.  But I wish it's story was as well done as the rest of the game. 

And Joe, If you read this I would love it if you included some of my criticisms in your review.  If not well.  You're mean.

And yes this is  vent for my boredom and frustration with this game coming from Bungie. 

I still play the game only because Well I have nothing better to do until PS2's hitching gets fixed.  So in the meantime I'm gearing up my hunter.  Got my Thorn today, lvl 26 Phogoth strike is a BITCH when you're playing with a lvl 25 and two 24s.  Thorn is an Exotic Hand Cannon BTW.

Its ok. Though hopefully I can get people to play with me on it. People being stash. The games I'm looking forward for don't even have an official release date. The Division, Kingdom Hearts 3, Rainbow six siege. 

Well this is suppose to be a 10 year project so there will probably be a lot more added to it every few months like the first expansion coming in December. Space combat could be one thing that will be added later. Just like MMOs game mechanics will be tweaked as times goes by.

I do agree with many of your points, I am not as passionate about it, and I am really enjoying my time in-game.  Two points I really agree on:

1) Story (maybe they are building mystery that will slowly reveal itself over the different patches/expacs?)

2) Boss Battles..  Could really use some different mechanics.  I appreciate the difficulty of a lot of the bosses, but really, they are just really big yellow health bars, could use some profound weaknesses or something that keeps you close quarters / in a certain area....  They all just fire directly at you with AOE lazerbeams pretty much.

I'm level 20, and I really want to get my light level up and find all the best loots to be prepared for upcoming expansions...  Looking forward to seeing how they implement them, and the patches + changes that they make over the coming months.

Great launch.  I have a feeling the people that enjoy Cod/Halo-like FPS more than MMO are being more critical of this game than the MMO players who like a side of FPS.

I look to see how long this new AAA game actually lasts on the consoles and later on the PC.

Based on OP's thoughts, it sounds like your standard AAA game, typically overhyping and underdelivering.

Hunters are UP?  HAHAHAHAHAHAHA It's the most played class in the game...That Golden gun is the most ridiculous thing they have.  With Titan Slams and Warlock Novas we are basically guaranteed 1 kill at least if we don't miss...but sometimes we can get more because of groups and stuff.  Hunters are guaranteed THREE kills almost each time because that gun is not hard to aim.  AND they can get it like 3-4 times a match at times which mean potential 9-12 free kills...I can be on a 10 kill streak because of outgunning several people and it will all of a sudden end because some Hunter can't get a kill any other way. Alot of times you'll actually come across a skilled player that plays a Hunter and they will almost always take 1st place because of that ability.  I've also point blanked Hunters with Shotguns when Blade Dancer is active...it will rarely kill a fully healed Hunter.  If anything... Titans are UP because they actually have to get close to you to kill you with their ability.  Warlocks can at least throw theirs.

tubingchamp likes this

Hunters are UP?  HAHAHAHAHAHAHA It's the most played class in the game...That Golgen gun is the most ridiculous thing they have.  With Titan Slams and Warlock Novas we are basically guaranteed 1 kill at least if we don't miss...but sometimes we can get more because of groups and stuff.  Hunters are guaranteed THREE kills almost each time because that gun is not hard to aim.  AND they can get it like 3-4 times a match at times which mean potential 9-12 free kills...I can be on a 10 kill streak because of outgunning several people and it will all of a sudden end because some Hunter can't get a kill any other way. Alot of times you'll actually come across a skilled player that plays a Hunter and they will almost always take 1st place because of that ability.  I've also point blanked Hunters with Shotguns when Blade Dancer is active...it will rarely kill a fully healed Hunter.  If anything... Titans are UP because they actually have to get close to you to kill you with their ability.  Warlocks can at least throw theirs.

It's all relative, depends on your opinion, and likely the class you play..  Maybe OP plays a Hunter..  I play a Titan, not going to complain about how we are in PVP, but I have never been able to actually get close enough to punch someone :).  Either way he seems passionately angry about the whole situation :)

I personally enjoy the PVP. I play a Warlock and I just thought the whole "Hunters are UP" thing was laughable.  I usually see Hunters get 2-3 kills with their Golden Gun everytime it's out.  Although there was this one time where I came like 5 feet from a Hunter and he missed ALL 3 of his shots.  I couldn't believe it... If he plays similar to that then I can see why he'd be angry.

I personally enjoy the PVP. I play a Warlock and I just thought the whole "Hunters are UP" thing was laughable.  I usually see Hunters get 2-3 kills with their Golden Gun everytime it's out.  Although there was this one time where I came like 5 feet from a Hunter and he missed ALL 3 of his shots.  I couldn't believe it... If he plays similar to that then I can see why he'd be angry.

Just wait until you come across the Hunters with the level 15 subclass. That special can definitely get them five kills if they are fast enough. You need two good shots with a shotgun to take them down fast since they get a shield with every kill they make with their super.

I agree with most of your posts except for the Hunter being UP in PvP. I play the Titan subclass and it's super can be countered by every single other super because the shield has a damage threshold in PvP.

I don't think saying "It's a 10 year project" is a good excuse for how void it is. Their advertisement and their budget and they came out with this? I payed 60 bucks for this game I'm not dishing out 10 years of expansion money to get the game that should have came out last week. I'll play it for a couple weeks and move on to much better games.

I play as a hunter, I ussally get 1 kill with golden gun and die. So I sometimes don't even use it as I don't do great with it. I understand I could be better if I purposly practiced with it, but I prefer the more run and gun thing with the other guns. 

If you wish to take the biggest negitive I've seen in this game, the rocket launcher. People will spam it constantly as they have ammo and aim at the floor in front of them and not die from it. Biggest deterrent in my eyes. Sad part is I see the highest lvl players doing it. It rather sad to see. 

Well this is suppose to be a 10 year project so there will probably be a lot more added to it every few months like the first expansion coming in December. Space combat could be one thing that will be added later. Just like MMOs game mechanics will be tweaked as times goes by.

Yes but the only Company Known to date to actually ADD space combat to an MMO game on top of their base ground combat is SOE with SWG, and that was my FAVORITE part of that game.

The "10 year project" isent this game alone, they plan to release 3 Destiny games during a 10 year period.

Topic: I agree with some things and disagree with others, its just personal opinions so no need to go into details. I will however inform you that the subclasses are no longer level locked.

The "10 year project" isent this game alone, they plan to release 3 Destiny games during a 10 year period.

Topic: I agree with some things and disagree with others, its just personal opinions so no need to go into details. I will however inform you that the subclasses are no longer level locked.

What is factual however is the poor storyline in comparison to Bungie's other games, extremely poor story.  And SHITTY as hell logic for the final mission in the "base" build of the game.   Yes it is opinionated that the Hunter is UP in many situations in PVP.  it is factual however that shotguns are the best PVP weapon.  

And yes it is my opinion that the cloak physics for my Hunter's Cloak are the most entertaining thing about the game for me.

Going to update with the rest of my likes about the game tomorrow.

What is factual however is the poor storyline in comparison to Bungie's other games, extremely poor story.  And SHITTY as hell logic for the final mission in the "base" build of the game.   Yes it is opinionated that the Hunter is UP in many situations in PVP.  it is factual however that shotguns are the best PVP weapon.  

And yes it is my opinion that the cloak physics for my Hunter's Cloak are the most entertaining thing about the game for me.

Going to update with the rest of my likes about the game tomorrow.

Il compare it with Halo:

Halo's story (as in the first game) is rather similar to Destiny's (you are introduced to the enemy's and while you save the world you dont realy solve anything). I have no idea why you find it great while you find Destiny's bad. The main character is very similar to mastercheif (a emotionless stone brick of a char that lets your project yourself in its place instead of it shineing by its own, it wasent until later titles that mastercheif got anything like a personality of his own).

How was it that you dont know what missions are in what order? Its quite easy, the missions with "wings" are the main missions, higher level = later mission. While the missions without wings (just the star) are side missions and often have their own mini story.

How would you even know the story if you couldent bother with it after the moon?

The games story isent as bad as you say (in my humble opinion). But i do agree that its certainly lacking in certain area's.

(In Destiny, the dead ghosts and stuff gives loads of ingame "fluff" that lets you see a rather rich backstory, however it is on said "cards on website" and honestly i would also prefear if much of that info was ingame instead).

I dont realy want to argue, i rather made this post to point out that "Destiny has a poor story" is indeed a opinion, not at all a fact.

Yes but the only Company Known to date to actually ADD space combat to an MMO game on top of their base ground combat is SOE with SWG, and that was my FAVORITE part of that game.

SW:TOR added space combat as well.

Back to destiny PVP. I play the striker titan and I usually roll with auto and fusion rifle. Fusion rifles are godlike if you can get the shot off. As for the rocket launchers, I have yet to see someone use one. I've barely even seen the LMG get use. Its always specials mixed with primary

you forgot :

1. the missing voice chat . destiny really has no social matchmaking systems or anything that you can compare to social

2. no loot ! wtf is that kind of a game where defeat lv20 bosses and they drop nothing . or when youre the best in pvp and you get nothing .. the whole world has like no loot ... theres no motivation to explore cause the chests spawn random.... and you get no loot , and when you get some its useless .. borderlands did so much better :)

3. in addition to no loot for your level , you level to fast and to easy.

4. takes to long to get light gear

5. WORST BORDERLANDS CLONE EVER

on other side : i like the story . its okey. mmo like .

VENUS LOOKS SO AMAZING !

SW:TOR added space combat as well.

Back to destiny PVP. I play the striker titan and I usually roll with auto and fusion rifle. Fusion rifles are godlike if you can get the shot off. As for the rocket launchers, I have yet to see someone use one. I've barely even seen the LMG get use. Its always specials mixed with primary

You call that arcade shooter like poop space combat? Apparently not so nvm.

That shit that is exactly like what they did in Joe's review of the Green lantern movie video game?!?!? That was not SWG's Space combat, SWG was EVE Online's openness with Star citizen's flight system and Planetside 2's ACCURACY requirement to be good.  It was beautiful so unless SWTOR added something like that don't you dare tell me those shit heads added space combat.

I'm sorry but you enraged me when mentioning that Game that I have seen and know it isn't what SWG was. 

I wish SOE tried to maintain it a little longer tried to bring something out that would bring everyone back.

HAHHHAHHAHA YOU CALL THAT ARCADE SHOOTER LIKE GARBAGE ON SWTOR SPACE COMBAT!?!??!?! That shit that is exactly like what they did in Joe's review of the Green lantern movie video game?!?!? That was not SWG's Space combat, SWG was EVE Online's openness with Star citizen's flight system and Planetside 2's ACCURACY requirement to be good. It was beautiful so unless SWTOR added something like that don't you dare tell me those shit heads added space combat.

I'm sorry but you enraged me when mentioning that Game that I have seen and know it isn't what SWG was.

I wish SOE tried to maintain it a little longer tried to bring something out that would bring everyone back.

No need to get hostile and I was referring to the pvp space combat in the free starfighter expansion that came out a month or 2 ago, not the pve space combat rails shooter.

No need to get hostile and I was referring to the pvp space combat in the free starfighter expansion that came out a month or 2 ago, not the pve space combat rails shooter.

Oh. Well...... Still........ Sorry........... 

If you've finished the raid then you should have noticed the glitches within as well as the lack of a rewards screen. So the only loot you get is from chests and boss's. You don't get the end raid reward gear.

Angry joe himself just released his review of destiny. This was one of the games I would've bought when getting an xbox one, now that (may) have changed. 

Angry joe himself just released his review of destiny. This was one of the games I would've bought when getting an xbox one, now that may have changed. 

Why? It's not a bad game. If you have friends to play with you can have a great time. Joe really talked down the game. It does have good elements to it. I won't say Joe is wrong because this is his opinion. If you get the game on xbox one let me know. I'll add ya and show you what the game has to offer when playing with others.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0