• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Variloh

Gamer Mind: the issues we wont talk about

23 posts in this topic

Hey everybody.

As some of you may or may not know, from april to august i ran a talk show in twitch called Gamer Mind. Now im bringing it back, why? because i believe if #GamerGate taught us anything its that there are certain topics we need to bring up, ourselves. I would like to take this medium to ask the AJSA what topics, like corruption in the media, are we NOT talking about and should be discussed.

If our intrested heres the youtube video explaining the new gamer mind. 

mrfool, Lossar and Gone too like this

What I don't understand is when did being a gamer mean having to talk about political topics.

When gaming became effected by political crap.

We as gamers are effected by it so we should if we care enough speak about them, but mind you I wouldn't call this a political matter. it's regarding games journalism.

Gone too likes this

Remember to record the live events and keep backups if you already don't (and backups of backups).

Subbed.

Variloh likes this

Remember to record the live events and keep backups if you already don't (and backups of backups).

Subbed.

Thanks for the sub man! yeah the live events will also go to the youtube page!

When gaming became effected by political crap.

We as gamers are effected by it so we should if we care enough speak about them, but mind you I wouldn't call this a political matter. it's regarding games journalism.

Games are effected. But the show isint about games journalism its about all topics that affect gaming

Thanks for the sub man! yeah the live events will also go to the youtube page!

Games are effected. But the show isint about games journalism its about all topics that affect gaming

My bad, I kind of got the impression that's what it was about.

Variloh likes this

corruption in the media is not a problem in my opinion. i don't know of anybody that listens to or reads any gaming media / journalists. a lot of them are not even gamers - it's just their day job. if i want to find out if a game has a wide appeal i will just check some steam reviews or go to amazon. i'm not going to read a wall of text written by 1 person.

i used to read gaming magazines for reviews in the 90s because that was my only choice when a 56k modem and a crappy ISP barely worked. soon as i got ADSL my gaming magazine days stopped. before the days of steam i would just ask my friends or join an IRC channel, or sign up to a forum.

i also don't know or can recall of any game released that was affected by so called corrupt media. I know of some that had bannings, but those were due to age classification problems. Carmageddon got banned at first in many countries and was refused classification. Carmageddon 2 also had a problem. Manhunt was banned widespread only because a kid axe murdered his friend and the offenders mother blamed it on Manhunt, when police and forensic investigations concluded that the motive for the attack had nothing to do with the game - it was all just drug related. She used it as an excuse to claim he was sick so he could do less jail time and go into a mental hospital instead. Manhunt 2 was also banned in some countries.

The list can go on but... all of these games problems happened due to other real life issues or classification. The media simply fuels the fires that were already set in the first place. No game has ever been refused a release by the courts / law due to what journalists opinions are.

At the end of the day, democracy and capitalism allows for freedom of speech, even with journalists. if people want to talk shit, they will. Just because you are a gamer does not mean you are obliged to listen to any of it.

I think the problem with "corruption in the media" is everyone talks about it in casual conversation and everyone knows  the gaming mag/site is in decline and likely taking bribes for adverts but we don't usually have hard proof, there's some clues from time to time like when the guy who gave Kane & Lynch a bad score got fired(site was all painted in K&L promos.) from Gamespot but it's always muffled, doesn't get talked about til years later by the competition no less( http://kotaku.com/5893785/yes-a-games-writer-was-fired-over-review-scores ) and well it's back to business as usual with no accountability and a minimal public outcry, I remember talking about it back then with some friends but the looming question has always been "what can we do?" but then again back in 2007 youtube and Twitch weren't what they are today, Many of the big players today had just joined the scene(Totalbiscuit joined July 2006, Angryjoe joined october 2008) and it was still a while for it to overcome jurnalizm.

While most of us here use youtube, let's plays and other more informative means many many people still frequent the gamespots, escapist, Destructoid(I read it myself.) and even kotaku and rockpapershotgun get enough traffic to maintain the sites and likely remain profitable since those article writers get to eat otherwise they'd be dead.

Well what happened recently was the first case of in the face corruption I've seem since the start of our "new era", other things must have happened but they either flew over my head or I don't think the evidence is substantial enough. Now the problem is "how do we deal with it?" and then there's a group who's adamantly defending silence on the issue and another group thinking it's about feminism when it really is about accountability in the media and gender doesn't at all play a role in the widespread outrage of the vast majority of gamers.

And then there's the recent attacks on gamers by the same media that's supposed to serve us, from "gamers are assholes" to "scrawny awkward nerds have to put up with girls now but they don't like them." all which seems a retaliation against our ability to think and question their public image, I mean how dare us right?!  

I guess what I'm trying to say is we're supposed to watch the watchers here and we're starting to do a better job of it but still not good enough or they'd be ashamed of their practices instead of trying to blame gamers. There's been a huge increase in bullshit articles this last month but it's not a new phenomena at all.  Not sure if this rant is cohesive since I took a long break between some paragraphs but those are my thoughts on the matter I suppose. Remember "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" also "knowledge is half the battle" and "no drugs."

corruption in the media is not a problem in my opinion. i don't know of anybody that listens to or reads any gaming media / journalists.

I don't know man, the sites do get a lot of traffic or they wouldn't exist. Not everyone is like the people here who mostly seem to be well informed about stuff and won't buy a game until checking all the information, I usually like let's plays myself for that kind of thing.

i used to read gaming magazines for reviews in the 90s because that was my only choice when a 56k modem and a crappy ISP barely worked. soon as i got ADSL my gaming magazine days stopped. before the days of steam i would just ask my friends or join an IRC channel, or sign up to a forum.

And some people dare talk about the good old days! Remember buying games based on the cover? That was a thing too.

i also don't know or can recall of any game released that was affected by so called corrupt media.

The hype is definitely real and the media fuels it pretty well I think and a lot of people eat it up,  buy the games and then get disappointed because the hype does not represent reality. Game censorship is fortunately not a thing anymore unless you're chinese or Australian so there's that but there are other ways to affect the industry negatively.

At the end of the day, democracy and capitalism allows for freedom of speech, even with journalists. if people want to talk shit, they will. Just because you are a gamer does not mean you are obliged to listen to any of it.

I agree, you're right freedom of speech means they'll say whatever they want but it doesn't mean we can't and shouldn't verbally crucify them for that, in fact we're supposed to do that.

Recoveryanonymous likes this

And some people dare talk about the good old days! Remember buying games based on the cover? That was a thing too.

And when a magazine or website did have a review in the 90s it might be only a paragraph or two long, barely say anything about the game, and be of an older version of the game.

Game censorship is fortunately not a thing anymore unless you're chinese or Australian

Or Nintendo releasing a Fire Emblem game

Back in the 60s and 70s or something... Rock and roll was evil and was corrupting humankind and fans had to deal with stupid dumbass media and gullible sheep promoting that nonsense just to enjoy something harmless.

Then in the 80s to early 90s it was dungeons and dragons responsible for the same thing.

Then from the late 90s to most of 200x videogames were the source of bad crime and shit.

Then games finally got accepted as normal like rock and roll and dungeons and dragons. But now asshole journalists are trying their hardest to make us deal with that bullshit a damn 2nd time.

You think society would learn how retarded it is to blame modern entertainment on corrupting people, but no, some people just cant learn, not that they should even HAVE to learn that which is obvious as hell via simple common sense.

but it doesn't mean we can't and shouldn't verbally crucify them for that, in fact we're supposed to do that.

of course, i should have added that myself. absolutely. if they are going to hype up a game and talk a load of horseshit and not do their jobs properly, even if someone like me who doesn't listen, read or care about what they say - they deserve every little bit of hate they get.

Gone too likes this

I like your ideas for the new season + shows, keep it up man. You got my support.

Variloh likes this

Biggest issue with "gamers" is the emotional state of us. While gaming doesn't generally govern violence, it can bring out the wildest emotions in people, especially when it comes to failing at something which often translates to pointless hostility towards others. While at times it may be justifiable, for the most part it's just people who cannot control their emotions or are unwilling to do so. And all that is possible because most feel like they're secure and safe behind the wall that is internet. While that might hold true in a physical sense, mentally it's consuming a person over time until the point of depression or worse. And while the internet might not be the best environment to observe people and their behavior in the end it essentially brings out the worst in a person.

I have at least a friend that frequents Kotaku.
Not sure if for the game reviews of for the random entertaining articules, but there's one there.
Also, I just left a community in Facebook. There, most of the links elsewhere were to mainstream gaming media, which meant that the members frequented those sites and read those articles regularly.

Of course some people grow wary and tired from the mainstream media throwing hype left and right, and eventually find other sources of information, but the fact that many people here are wary of "mainstream gaming media" is because we've gathered from "alternative" sources like Joe's show, and many of us also follow other gamers in youtube/twitch/twitter that shun these old sources of information.
So, maybe we see less links to Kotaku and IGN here because we're a niche group of players that don't use those sites much.

Gone too likes this

Uh, there's LOTS of material in there!

Pay is low everywhere. Economy is crappy.

Review scoring is a site policy. If anyone wants to get free from it, there's youtube where every reviewer makes up his/her own scales.

If your writeup is a copy, it's really plagiarism. You shouldn't be paid for it.

Early Access.... if they are charging for it, you can criticize it.

Ad revenue is crappy because adblockers, and that's opening a completely different can of worms..... dead, rotting, gooey worms......

Valve...... if you can't get a straight answer, stop promoting them.

Offtopic:

I wasn't sure if they were talking about issues of games journalism or of the mexican school system :lol:

Uh, there's LOTS of material in there!

Pay is low everywhere. Economy is crappy.

Review scoring is a site policy. If anyone wants to get free from it, there's youtube where every reviewer makes up his/her own scales.

If your writeup is a copy, it's really plagiarism. You shouldn't be paid for it.

Early Access.... if they are charging for it, you can criticize it.

Ad revenue is crappy because adblockers, and that's opening a completely different can of worms..... dead, rotting, gooey worms......

Valve...... if you can't get a straight answer, stop promoting them.

Offtopic:

I wasn't sure if they were talking about issues of games journalism or of the mexican school system :lol:

You both bring up some great points and early access is definitly going to be a art of one of this weeks videos, stay tunned!

The changes in the way that games are reported on are signs of how the medium has grown up since the late 80 and more importantly the mid 90's.

In the early days of games journalism the reviewers editors and staff were for the most part gamers themselves- games magazines were a niche market like fishing magazines or hunting mags. There was far less money involved back then than there is now. There was a perceived trust between gamers and the games media (the possible exception being 'Official' Magazines for the various platforms). If a game sucked it would get low scores, regardless of the ad space they placed in magazines.

But money like time changes everything: Nowadays there is just far too much investment in AAA games to allow them to fail- not just in terms of the profit they make but also in terms of what has already been paid to make them in the first place. That's why we have the hype machines and why games journalists these days are courted into paying more attention to AAA titles.

Destiny is a  great example of this - just imagine this game minus the hype. A game where the most often word used is Repetetive and garners scores of 6-7 out of 10.

Without the hype machine working behind it getting us to put in our preorders and promising us all handjobs and milkshakes- this game would have been a flop (financially) that would have likely meant the end of Bungie as a viable studio and host of people out of work.

Publishers and developers who invest huge money in their titles actually can't afford to be completely open with their products and hope you like it any way - they want you to NEED their product - they need to convince you that if you don't pick it up on release day you're going to be the only kid on your street without it. Is it all about securing jobs ? No of course not these guys also need to make a profit - the games industry is a business after all.

Harsh as it may sound those of you who wound up with a copy of Watch_Dogs or Destiny on release day and felt let down- you weren't the victim of witch craft or high tech manipulation- you believed the hype and the marketing. Meaning that someone somewhere did their job properly,

Other things to remember:

A writer or journalist cannot say "This game is crap" in a preview or hands on. Legally they can't do that. They can tell you how the game feels to play and their general impressions on it. If they have been invited to the studios to play a preview build they will have been treated like royalty. Possibly provided with aforementioned hand jobs and milkshakes. Hopefully not by the same person because *brrrr* cold hands.

Finally a companies reputation can precede it. When you tell me UbiSoft are doing an action game in a similar vein to Assassins Creed set in the Modern Day with hacking and guns and shit? I'm there. I loved Assassins Creed so of course I'm already interested.

You tell me that Bungie are doing a new FPS with MMO/Borderlands/Halo hybrid? Sign me up. I loved Halo and Borderlands and Bungie always put out games worth playing.

And this is BEFORE the hype machine gets in, before anything about the game has been played.

Hell how many posts on this forum have we seen where someone has said 'We all need not to buy into the hype!' and then the Same person posts 'Holy Shit look at this sweet MGS 5 trailer!'

If Rockstar announced Red Dead Redemption 2- just announced it- how badly would you be looking forward to it?

These games could suck. It could be boring or broken or repetitive or have only a couple of hours of gameplay- but you have faith in the pedigree of the studios involved and when they fail to live up to that faith that's when games feel betrayed.

EDIT: Oh. Sorry "Got into a thing there. And then I forgot how it ended"

fridgeracer likes this

The changes in the way that games ... and stuff

i find it extremely depressing that there are people in the world that go to work, get paid, go home to a family and kids, and their job / career is solely to ensure companies make x amount of profit out of a bullshit game at all costs.

x2

We sold our souls for greater graphics and a higher pixel toll

After we are gone, dead but never forgoten, they will speak of the, and Generations will remember you not as a simple mortal, but as  "the man who spoke the truth"

Gangland likes this