• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sirrobert

Elite: Dangerous

64 posts in this topic

Anyone playing this game? It looks awesome, and I want it, but I can't really justifiy paying 20 dollars extra for a Beta

I don't want to spoil the experience for myself for the finished game, so I got the standard preorder and expansion pass. It looks to be shaping up very nicely from what I've seen, but I'm not sure it'll make the 2014 release date. But soon I'll have Legend of Grimrock 2 to keep me occupied for a while. And with other games on the horizon too, I don't mind waiting a little longer if needed.

been playing it for awhile now. I can say it was well worth the price. the devs are not like zenimax or trion at all....which is a good thing

Puntosmx likes this

I think they are just running outta ideas for platform names

67mugGk.jpg

hInXjdz.png

fixed it for you

I bought the beta package a week ago. Although it was €20 for just beta access, I really dont regret it, even this close to the release.

Amazing experience sofar... And with Beta 3 just around the corner, it will be possible to test mining. I do like me some mining pew pew!

Also, I read a comment on their forums, wich actually scared me a bit. Not sure if the numbers are correct, but if they are... yikes...

Space is big. Really big... When the game is released with the whole galaxy visitable, you could visit ten different star systems every day for the next 109 million years and not come back to the same system twice. Crazy.

Well if they are making the game as big as they claim, then those numbers sound pritty correct.

That new multiplayer colonization system is really interesting, I think I'm going to love that the most

Beta 3 is awesome... Some new performance issues however, but they are aware of it.

Been interdicted a couple of times now... first time, I was unprepared and got caught, but managed to get outta there alive.

2nd time, I managed to escape, using the "Escape vector". But damn its a bit tricky to keep the nose pointed towards it.

Mining, well... it takes a bloody long time to mine. Having to scoop up every piece, really adds to the time it take to fill a cargohold. And I was doing it in just a Hauler.

Cant imagine how it would be in the larger ships.

Although I'm not a fan of implementing a "Looting tractor beam", I honestly would not mind seeing a tractor beam for mining only.

If anyone is willing to help me pay for it I will, I'm just strapped on cash since my parents consciously need money from me to pay the bills... 

I really would help you out man, im in the same boat. However I might be able to let you use my account if you want only if you can make a promise to me that you will help your parents.

crazykidsbite likes this

I really would help you out man, im in the same boat. However I might be able to let you use my account if you want only if you can make a promise to me that you will help your parents.

That's no problem, and I usually help my parents out on everything, even sometimes work at their guard shack when they're too tired to work.

This game is seriously balla. I'm only worried about how I'll split time between it and Star Citizen. And you know, actually living. Hopefully when the full build goes live we can get a squadron going!

I doubt SC will be out until 2016. You can probably use a break from Elite by then, even if turns out to be great.

I got Elite Dangerous but it's boring playing alone. If you got teamspeak use it and I might see you and hop on. My name is Webster Hyperion on that game feel free to add me.

Well I just got a shot at playing this game, and I am extremely disapointed.

It is airplane dogfights in a pritty skybox. Why the hell does my spaceship handle like an airplane? Those 2 are completly different. A spaceship exists in a vaccum, why the hell can't it turn faster? Why is the up/down turnspeed faster than left/right?

Dogfighting in X3 was awesome. Full power to side thrusters to move unpredictably, full 180 turn to shoot what was behind you, you had to actually THINK. The only skill I've seen in dogfighting in Elite is getting your speed right so you can outturn your opponent.

But that could all be forgiven if it wasn't so excruciatingly tedious to travel. Why the hell do I have to manually allign with my destination, while there is 0 indication of where that actually is.

What could this possibly add to the game? This is exactly what a flight computer is for. To take over the mindless tasks. Instead you have to manually look all around you until you find your target, and only then can you allign with it and stare at what is effectively a loading screen. Until you get randomly pullled out of lightspeed, and have to do the whole searching for your target again

Well I just got a shot at playing this game, and I am extremely disapointed.

It is airplane dogfights in a pritty skybox. Why the hell does my spaceship handle like an airplane? Those 2 are completly different. A spaceship exists in a vaccum, why the hell can't it turn faster? Why is the up/down turnspeed faster than left/right?

Dogfighting in X3 was awesome. Full power to side thrusters to move unpredictably, full 180 turn to shoot what was behind you, you had to actually THINK. The only skill I've seen in dogfighting in Elite is getting your speed right so you can outturn your opponent.

But that could all be forgiven if it wasn't so excruciatingly tedious to travel. Why the hell do I have to manually allign with my destination, while there is 0 indication of where that actually is.

What could this possibly add to the game? This is exactly what a flight computer is for. To take over the mindless tasks. Instead you have to manually look all around you until you find your target, and only then can you allign with it and stare at what is effectively a loading screen. Until you get randomly pullled out of lightspeed, and have to do the whole searching for your target again

Well the game is not for everyone, and from what I can tell, you are in that group. :)

What I understand from reading their forums, Elite: Dangerous aims more towards simulator gameplay and to stay true to the originals.

Now I'm no NASA engineer/scientist, but I believe that its not really possible to instantly get max speed in space. It needs to build up.

So the longer you use your thrusters, the more speed you gain. This is simulated in Elite.

We do have the onboard flight assist computer, to help us fly in Elite, wich is a very good thing... Try disable it, and you will be in full control of increasing/decreasing the power of your thrusters. No AI to reduce the speed for ya.

About the dogfighting, if all you've done is turn fight in Elite, then you've been fighting some very... new players... I've had good fights where just turning, would have gotten me killed before I even deployed my hardpoints.

Using boost to get out of a superior ships firing arcs, turn, pump out another boost to get close and try stay behind him, then change between forward/reverse thrusters, while using the vertical/lateral thrusters to counter his turning...

So yes, you actually gotta think in Elite aswell. There is more to it, than simple turn fighting. Atleast vs good players.

Now the long travels, yes they can be boring for many... I dont mind it though, and find it a hella lot more enjoyable than travelling in Eve Online.

Wich actually brings me to your last point.... Yes, you have to manually align your ship, because thats just the way Elite is.

Just be happy you dont have to calculate the jumps in detail...

And you dont need to look around for your destination. There is a nice little indicator just left of the radar, that shows where the align point is.

The only grief I have with Elite travelling, is having to plot 1 system jump at the time. But thats already being looked at by the devs.

This poll on Frontier's forums has me a little worried about the state the game will release in this year: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=53764

There are indeed some concerns about the games current state, with the release date being just around the corner.

Not sure what to say on that matter, since I only joined in beta 2.

I guess it depends on the next big update, and just how much content there is and how well the game/servers run. I believe they still got  a content update coming before release, and then adding more later on, such as landing on planets.

I'm not really worried though, if they do release it this year. I'm pretty satisfied with the game already, so adding more stuff just makes me happier. :D

\o/

O I agree, It's cleary not for me. It just feels like some very faulty advertising that got me thinking it would be

As for simulator: Sorry, but it's not a simulator.

You don't get max speed right away, but that's not my gripe. I was talking about rotation. A spaceship would be able to turn around just as fast as an ice skater, while still going forward.

At this point, it would also just keep going forward, and would require significant lateral thrusting to actually MOVE in a different direction.

In order to get a spaceship to behave like a plane (like they do in Elite), you actually need to cheat.

. Basicly, in order for a spaceship to behave like an airplane, it'd need lateral thrusters more powerful than the main engine. If you have that, your spaceship could rotate extremely fast.

That's why it's an airplane dogfighter in a pritty skybox

As for 'that is just the way elite is', that's no excuse. It's tedious and adds nothing to the experience. And that's exactly what a flight computer is for

Also sounds like there's a crapton of things they never explain, like that alignment assist. Tuturial is severely lacking. It tells you to do something without explaining HOW to do anything (there are tons of hotkeys, and the only way to find them is looking them up in the keybindings menu). The first tuturial, for example, tells you to throttle up. It never explains HOW to throttle up. You have to figure that out yourself.

Note that this is all trying to be objective critisism. I don't hate the game, but there are some significant missteps that people should know about

Well, I stand corrected. It is indeed not a simulator anymore. It did however use to be, in the earlier alpha phases.

About the traveling, yes, it is just the way Elite is. Its part of its gameplay experience. You are a pilot, you are there to pilot a spaceship. You dont just set a waypoint, enable autopilot and go make coffee or watch youtube.

Hyperspace is fully automated, once you align your ship.

Supercruise is not supposed to be autopilot mode, since its still an active part of the game, due to interdiction, refueling and exploration.

Now I will agree that the tutorials is not perfect, and there are some stuff that lack explanations, like how to access the Contacts list in the left hud menu.
However, it actually does tell you how to throttle up and other basic flight keybinds, by having you go through the preflight checklist the first time you are taking off.
It only does this the first time, but you can re-enable the preflight checklist again, through the right hud menu.

The amount of keybinds on keyboard, depend on your control method... Keyboard/mouse obviously have alotta keybinds, same with controllers.
Flighstick/HOTAS setups have almost everything on the sticks.

I'm not saying tutorials should not explain theese keybinds, but its always a good idea to look up keybind presets before venturing into a game.

Now about this spaceship rotation stuff you are talking about... I went ahead and seeked information on the Frontier forums, and got better explanations that I can provide myself, so I'll just quote them all here.

My own personal headcanon is that even when not using our frame-shift drives, a considerable amount of the mass of our ships is shifted partway into Witchspace. Our ships have far too much delta-V for their fuel to payload ratio, and the thrust they're capable of is unreal. While it is possible turn off this system and go full newtonian (flight assist off), normal ship handling with flight assist on is aeroplane like because interacting with Witchspace, even at minimal levels seen in out of supercruise or hyperspace jumps, is more analogous to atmospheric flight than it is space flight. This is especially obvious in Supercruise, since you need the massive rear engines to push your ship through the medium found in Witchspace, which is denser around massive bodies, and throttling down results in a gradual slowing down of speed.

playing a flying turret in space is quite dull, and Star Wars style dogfighting is where it's at. wink.png ED is not trying to model zero-g combat realistically, that's why there are speed limitations and bleedoff. It's more of a hybrid model, some like to call it "submarine dogfighting" because it combines lack of gravity with stuff like top speed and speed bleeding which wouldn't exist in a zero-g vacuum environment.

And to be frank, as far as realism goes, there can be no dogfighting in space if you want to do it the realistic way. Everyone would just shoot lasers at ranges so great, the only thing you'd be doing is telling your targeting computer which sensor blip to lock on. Modern fighter jets already decide engagements with beyond-visual-range (can't even see each other) weapons, with space ships it would be even more extreme.

Up and down speed is the same as left and right, you are suppose to roll not yaw. That is how the ships work.

Turn FA off and you can turn 180 while still going forward.

1. It's not true that, in space, you can turn as easily as a figure skater. Air resistance is hardly the only thing opposing turning - you have the mass moment of inertia of the ship, and the ships actually have to be fairly heavy to shield you from cosmic radiation, as you're not protected by a planet's magnetosphere. Actual spacecraft turn very slowly, because all the thrusters apart from the main engines tend to be very efficient but low thrust.

2. In a ship that is wider than it is tall, there is a higher moment of inertia laterally than vertically, so it actually makes perfect physical sense that it's slower to yaw than pitch. Roll would have the lowest moment of inertia in a long, slender ship. Only an object with spherical symmetry would turn equally in all directions.

they didn't want ships to behave like turrets , something you get with Newtonian dogfighting.
which was abandoned because of network issues. ( too high speeds for the network to cope with)
it was also seen as jousting which they saw as not entertaining enough.
so its turning is limited to keep the fights interesting.

this subject is what drives the Elite and Frontier Elite fans apart.
two camps , so to say.
I'm a Newtonian fan but I have to say its works.
even if its not the true space sim. I was hoping for I'm still enjoining my self.

Thats about it. I dont believe it gets more clear than that. If I hear from a developer again, I'll let you know.

So yeah, if you want the flying you wish, turn off Flight Assist. But good luck flying without it.

My computer is a good one and it can handle games like War Thunder, Red Orchestra 2, and all the Total War games very well. And yet, as soon as i near an asteroid to star mining it, I receive around 10 fps! I can't understand why. I have lowered the graphics all the way, but that doesn't seem to be working. Any ideas, help and advice appreciated.

-IsL