• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

IrishRogue

Shadow of Mordor: Hopes and Fears

102 posts in this topic

Shadow of Mordor is coming out next Tuesday. So far it seems that early reviews are praising the game. But since no one outside of reviewers have played the game, what kind of things are you guys hoping to be in the game/be beneficial to the game? Is there anything scaring you about it, whether it be the look of the game, its story, etc.?

I'm excited for the game. I just want a rich open world, a good storyline and fun gameplay. And since it's RPG, I hope it has a good RPG system and rich customization. 

The only hope I have (at least for future rpg's) is to drop the pretense of being a LotR game, but instead be a good rpg. No, I don't like anything that's LotR.

I am super hyped for this game but i am just worried about how it will be ported to pc outside of the common concern about the possibility of the gameplay becoming repetitive easily. Will it be a good pc port that has nice mouse and keyboard support (i favor mouse and keyboard over controllers by miles) or will it be like how alot of games were last gen where it basically was not optimized for pc with only the mod communitees saving them (aka gta4) and the devs didn't even try to make decent mouse and keyboard controlls.

i think it's going to be bullshit simply because it's a new game. i have lost all faith in new games (no not because of destiny, and no i don't have an 8th gen console either).

my belief is reviewers are paid to say it's good, and that people who are gamers that actually say it is good are just people who regularly get drawn in by graphics and ignore the actual gameplay.

It's $30 around here but I'm quite weary, it looks fun though Assasin's Creed Mordor is a good idea after all.

The only hope I have (at least for future rpg's) is to drop the pretense of being a LotR game, but instead be a good rpg. No, I don't like anything that's LotR.

I'm not the biggest lotr fan either, I'd rather it was using another fantasy setting actually but it's not that bad, well other than the fact it clashes with the setting and you can't play a wizard it's not that bad.

It's $30 around here but I'm quite weary, it looks fun though Assasin's Creed Mordor is a good idea after all.

Gotta sue them though for copying Assassin's Creed! Ubisoft invented parkour and roof to roof jumping. All rights reserved!

I remember seeing people actually saying that in the Youtube comments. 

Gotta sue them though for copying Assassin's Creed! Ubisoft invented parkour and roof to roof jumping. All rights reserved!

I remember seeing people actually saying that in the Youtube comments. 

Some developer tried to slander them too saying they stole code from ac2, it's like... what? Going by that notion one should ask why isn't id suing everyone else, and then Westwood and BullFrog, ohwait those are Bethesda and EA now, and all other developers who actually invented new genres which happen to mostly be owned by other companies these days.

Apex Spartan likes this

I'm really worried their whole "nemesis system" is going to be shallow and dumb. It sounds ambitious, but I can see a lot of ways they could cut corners and still fill out the checklist on the back of the box.

I will soon find out whether its good or not come release date. I'm pretty much winging it at this point. It is true that many games have been falling very short of their hype. I'd like to believe for any game, but they make it quite hard to. I'll hope my money doesn't go to waste.

what kind of things are you guys hoping to be in the game/be beneficial to the game? Is there anything scaring you about it, whether it be the look of the game, its story, etc.?

Everything stated in this review pretty much filled me in on what I should be expecting from this game. it's not what I'd hope it'll be, but it still seems like a nice little "play once" kinda deals. 

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS FREAKING MADNESS ABOUT MIDDLE EARTH AND LIGHT MAGIC AND REVIVING FREKING ELVES WHOSE SOULS RESIDE IN THE HALLS OF MANDOS, AWAY FROM MIDDLE EARTH, AND NOT TREADING THE MIDDLE EARTH?!?!?!?!?!?!
And this is the game that "LotR fans should be hyped about"? It's inconsistent will all lore in Tolkien's work.
I refuse to think more about this abberration, or I'll go ranty (a LOT more than on that Xbone thread).

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS FREAKING MADNESS ABOUT MIDDLE EARTH AND LIGHT MAGIC AND REVIVING FREKING ELVES WHOSE SOULS RESIDE IN THE HALLS OF MANDOS, AWAY FROM MIDDLE EARTH, AND NOT TREADING THE MIDDLE EARTH?!?!?!?!?!?!

And this is the game that "LotR fans should be hyped about"? It's inconsistent will all lore in Tolkien's work.

I refuse to think more about this abberration, or I'll go ranty (a LOT more than on that Xbone thread).

Well pretty much any game about lotr breaks the lore to be interesting. It's not very conducive to gaming and telling stories other than Tolkien's story, not to mention everyone wants to use magic and wizards and there's like only five of them not to mention the rest of the story is pretty closed too. This game would probably be much cooler if it was a random D&D world(preferably Faerun.) but it's all the same to me since I'm not a big lotr fan just as long as the game's interesting really.

So far the storyline looks interesting. The combat looks pretty fun, I like the Wraith features, but I'm worried about this open world...everything looks hostile. Feels like they made a big map and just put enemies all over. I mean since it's behind enemy lines, I'm guessing there won't be any friendly towns or cities...I can just imagine a place filled with forts and ruins full of enemies. It might get dull just running around killing stuff all the time.

I really hope Joe wen't straight back into review mode and is covering this game.

He said that he needs to wait until release to get a copy

Well pretty much any game about lotr breaks the lore to be interesting. It's not very conducive to gaming and telling stories other than Tolkien's story, not to mention everyone wants to use magic and wizards and there's like only five of them not to mention the rest of the story is pretty closed too. This game would probably be much cooler if it was a random D&D world(preferably Faerun.) but it's all the same to me since I'm not a big lotr fan just as long as the game's interesting really.

Yet, there's so much in the world that can be done without breaking the lore.

Glowing badass swords? fair game.

Ancient ruined castles with lost powerful artifacts that make you powerful? fair game.

Elven magic cloaking, healing, keeping enemies at bay? fair game.

Dark magic, breeding and alchemy spewing twisted and powerful enemies? fair game.

Ancient, unknown or forgotten enemies resurfacing from ancient mines or lonely mountains? fair game.

Soulbending? Unacceptable.

I thought this game takes place even before the hobbit so it doesn't even touch any of the stuff in the books really

It probably has nothing to do with the books but it invents new things that never existed in tolkien and tolkien fans are very sensitive to that kind of thing for whatever reason, I find the setting particularly boring due to it's absolutely immaculate status, which is why Warhammer, Greyhawk, Eberron, Faerun and others were created anyway, so we could have thousands of wizards, weirdness all around and rangers who can possess orc's souls.

Fun fact I found out in my gaming research, though while everyone attributes the creation of high fantasy settings to Tolkien the book trilogy(no less) that actually popularized and mass marketed high fantasy settings influencing D&D players everywhere was a now absolutely forgotten Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks. It actually inspired D&D(Chainmail) and was also considered a total rip-off of Tolkien but was still popular as hell anyway. I didn't even know what it was until I read it in a White Dwarf article from 2004 but this is a big off-topic ramble so ignore if you will. :P

I don't mind people creating lore for a series as long as it doesn't 1. doesn't intefer with the established medium such as saying the main character of the game who is not in the books meets like bilbo and saves his life or something. 2. whatever it establishes doesn't get resolved and would go into the established timeline to the point where it would easily effect it. I already preordered the game a bit ago but it looks like it going to be pretty decent so i am stuck with it now like it or not. I do have to say though watching the streams of the game makes it seem like it is not going to be garbage.

I thought this game takes place even before the hobbit so it doesn't even touch any of the stuff in the books really

Well, there's the Silmarillion, which spans from the creation of the world to the prophesies for the end of times.

Then there's the short stories and the letters.

And then there's the History of Middle Earth compilation that Christopher Tolkien published, but we'll never know how much of that is JRR's work and how much is Chris' rewriting stuff.

So, while it doesn't touch on the "main books", everything Middle Earth has a frame of work within the Silmarillion anyway.

Yes, the setting of LotR as a fantasy world is rather restrictive, specially on the magic part.

And much of it deals with sadness, loss, grief, regret..... almost as if its writer had lost friends in the first world war and a son to the second.

(hint: he did)

It probably has nothing to do with the books but it invents new things that never existed in tolkien and tolkien fans are very sensitive to that kind of thing for whatever reason, I find the setting particularly boring due to it's absolutely immaculate status, which is why Warhammer, Greyhawk, Eberron, Faerun and others were created anyway, so we could have thousands of wizards, weirdness all around and rangers who can possess orc's souls.

Fun fact I found out in my gaming research, though while everyone attributes the creation of high fantasy settings to Tolkien the book trilogy(no less) that actually popularized and mass marketed high fantasy settings influencing D&D players everywhere was a now absolutely forgotten Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks. It actually inspired D&D(Chainmail) and was also considered a total rip-off of Tolkien but was still popular as hell anyway. I didn't even know what it was until I read it in a White Dwarf article from 2004 but this is a big off-topic ramble so ignore if you will. :P

Sword of Shannara was an awesome book. Highly recommend reading it and the others in the series although sword is the best imo. I think wither Much or MTV is trying to turn the series into a show to compete with GoT which makes me sad because there is no way they can do the shannara series justice.

Anyways, I'm not a huge Tolkien lore fan so even if they did 'break' it, I wouldn't even notice. I would have preferred it take place in another fantasy setting so they could go crazy with it (warhammer would be perfect), but as long as its a good game i'm happy.

What gives me hope for the game:

It's not overhyped (haven't heard of it before 3E)
It doesn't market itself on the LotR franchise

Can you al just stop with this f%^$ed up hype thing???! Like really.... 

There is no reason to "hype" over any game. 99% cases you will be disappointed because your expectations were higher they they should....

I expect SoM to be a good and fun to play game.

DO NOT PRE-ORDER this or ANY other game don't fall to their trap. When you wanna buy a new car would you buy one without a window?

Don't worry your car will be "patched" later with brand new window.

bE reasonable....

What gives me hope for the game:

It's not overhyped (haven't heard of it before 3E)

It doesn't market itself on the LotR franchise

Well, yes, it does market itself on the LotR franchise.

It would be foolish to be based upon a series of novels or movies and not market it.

It's not as hyped as other games, like Titanfall, Watch_Dogs or Destiny, but.....

http://www.lazygamer.net/general-news/why-im-hyped-for-shadow-of-mordor-and-you-should-be-too/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/20/why-lord-of-the-rings-fans-should-be-excited-for-shadow-of-mordor

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/09/26/shadow-mordor-pre-order-deals-surface-hype-increases/

http://www.gamesradar.com/middle-earth-shadow-mordor-review/

(come on.... REVIEW? it hasn't been released yet!)

http://gearburn.com/2014/09/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-meta-review-the-hype-machine-finally-pays-out/

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/1061/view/hype

Pasted for the single comment: "Why is this single player game being featured on a website for MMOs?"

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/284461

http://www.destructoid.com/review-middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-281235.phtml

http://store.steampowered.com/app/241930

Check the reviews.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor