• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fridgeracer

so i played some WoW today...

23 posts in this topic

and i can't seem to figure out if i am actually having fun, or if i am just feeling nostalgic and bored of everything else.

does anyone play this currently or recently? is it actually still a fun game? is there something wrong with me - i.e. i played this game for 5 years non stop, and haven't played it for coming up to 2 years, with the exception of today. am i sick for going back to a game i was so hell bent on quitting?

what are people's thoughts? is this game still worth playing? i can't seem to decide... i honestly don't know if i am having fun or playing in hope something "fun" like the old days happens sometime in my leveling experience or end game... just can't decide.

what are people's thoughts? is this game still worth playing? i can't seem to decide... i honestly don't know if i am having fun or playing in hope something "fun" like the old days happens sometime in my leveling experience or end game... just can't decide.

sounds like your only still playing this game because you been loyal to it for so long that it's hard for you to move on, aka nostalgia. I can list quite alot of mmo's which are better than W.O.W. but in the end it's your call dude. If you want to play wow till it's inevitable server shutdown then fine. but in my book WoW is not fun and is not worth playing. 

sounds like your only still playing this game because you been loyal to it for so long that it's hard for you to move on, aka nostalgia. I can list quite alot of mmo's which are better than W.O.W. but in the end it's your call dude. If you want to play wow till it's inevitable server shutdown then fine. but in my book WoW is not fun and is not worth playing. 

i see your point, and you are probably right. but... i tried many mmos and none of them felt better than what wow's already established. they might be more polished, richer in content, better gameplay... but wow's sort of like... the old 1970s supercar that you just can't stop admiring for what it was... sort of feeling.

could you name some of these mmos? maybe i havent tried some of them.

could you name some of these mmos? maybe i havent tried some of them.

Well, before I list some I need to know what type of games your prefer. Don't just give me the "a good one" or "a mmo" but the nitty griddy here

i see your point, and you are probably right. but... i tried many mmos and none of them felt better than what wow's already established. they might be more polished, richer in content, better gameplay... but wow's sort of like... the crappy old 1970s supercar that you just can't stop admiring for what it was... sort of feeling.

I feel pretty much the same way about MMO's. The only reason why I'd ever play wow if any mmo, is because I've invested so much time in it. And even now playing it occasionally just feels... good. Like you're continuing on something that you started doing, but quit because you couldn't handle the pressure of sorts. I left on multiple occasions, but most had to do with my inability to cope with people during raids. I got too much into that I just couldn't think of not killing that boss in front of me. The notion of someone not pulling his weight just irritated me to no end often leading me to becoming the biggest dick of them all.

But now, whenever I manage to play some of it again, I just feel like I'm where I belong. I have my multiple characters, I still have stuff I wanted to do, but never did. I reckon I might go back to it at some point just have something to chill out with after a day of work. Hopefully I'll stay away from any major raiding to keep my sanity.

Well, before I list some I need to know what type of games your prefer. Don't just give me the "a good one" or "a mmo" but the nitty griddy here

ok well, i prefer games that are very sandbox like. i don't like an mmorpg that segments it's world map into seperate zones that you travel to via a loading screen. i want it to be like wow's design, an open and seamless world where the only loading screens are between continents, but so long as you are standing on 1 piece of gigantic land... unless you exit to a dungeon, or an instanced place... you will never see a loading screen. i want to "feel" the massive scale of the world around me.

i also would prefer a game now, that puts it focus on storyline and PVE content. i personally do not see any point in PVP in an mmorpg anymore. it is always unbalanced and it's not the right place to put that kind of competitive gameplay in a video game. personally if i wanted to play a game against people i would play something like dota or counter strike. where the playing field is almost 100% equal, i.e. skill is the only thing that matters. a game like an mmorpg... all i want there to be is PVE content and co-op gameplay with other people to beat that content. if there is any form of PVP where the game mechanics are catered to fit that, then i dont think i would like it, but wow is the exception currently because it's just a game i have played for so long and i am used to. any other game i would dismiss this idea.

I feel pretty much the same way about MMO's. and stuff just to make the post shorter in screen space i deleted it...

yeah i see where you are coming from and i agree. however i never quit due to those problems in raiding - which i do know are big problems, even currently.

what made me leave is that i spent years trying to find the class i liked, and when i decided it was a rogue and invested something like 500+ days worth of playtime into my character, it got the biggest nerfs of all time, and it just went downhill there for me. that along with so many changes into how the rogues dps and crits work... CC and self healing... trying to gear up and right when i am about to be happy with what i got a new season starts and i have to do it ALL OVER again - so my invested time brings me nothing except the need to grind even more.... in the end i was just chasing dreams that never came true, so i quit.

I'm coming back for Draenor, it sounds great. I tried the PTR this week(one of my old rafs subbed and I have a free month.) and it loooks beautiful too which is great, I specially like the Orc models and the fact humans finally look human.

fridgeracer likes this

ok well, i prefer games that are very sandbox like. i don't like an mmorpg that segments it's world map into seperate zones that you travel to via a loading screen. i want it to be like wow's design, an open and seamless world where the only loading screens are between continents, but so long as you are standing on 1 piece of gigantic land... unless you exit to a dungeon, or an instanced place... you will never see a loading screen. i want to "feel" the massive scale of the world around me.

i also would prefer a game now, that puts it focus on storyline and PVE content. i personally do not see any point in PVP in an mmorpg anymore. it is always unbalanced and it's not the right place to put that kind of competitive gameplay in a video game. personally if i wanted to play a game against people i would play something like dota or counter strike. where the playing field is almost 100% equal, i.e. skill is the only thing that matters. a game like an mmorpg... all i want there to be is PVE content and co-op gameplay with other people to beat that content. if there is any form of PVP where the game mechanics are catered to fit that, then i dont think i would like it, but wow is the exception currently because it's just a game i have played for so long and i am used to. any other game i would dismiss this idea.

well, let me tell you straight up here. You are a Explorer and Pve gamer. 

I can list alot fitting in that list but right now. I will stick to just providing you 3 games which you will most likely enjoy

• Wildstar
  • Elite: Dangerous (in beta atm)
  • Elder Scrolls Online

I'm coming back for Draenor, it sounds great. I tried the PTR this week(one of my old rafs subbed and I have a free month.) and it loooks beautiful too which is great, I specially like the Orc models and the fact humans finally look human.

i was also considering this, well... i might still be. it's nice to hear something good about it from someone who actually tried it.

well, let me tell you straight up here. You are a Explorer and Pve gamer. 

I can list alot fitting in that list but right now. I will stick to just providing you 3 games which you will most likely enjoy

• Wildstar
  • Elite: Dangerous (in beta atm)
  • Elder Scrolls Online

i never thought i would like ESO because of all the negative hype but since you are a game dev i respect your comments and will highly consider trying it. i also like the idea of wildstar but again... what actually stopped me trying any of these is the negative hype and reviews.

i just thought... surely if so many people say they aren't that good then it isnt worth my time... but... if you say so... then they may well deserve some attention. care to specify if ESO and wildstar have bad hype for no good reason OR... is there reason to the bad hype?

care to specify if ESO and wildstar have bad hype for no good reason OR... is there reason to the bad hype?

In my books, if you like the game fine and if you hate it fine. The PR giving eso and wildstar bad hype is understandable and personally I don't like the games (I payed both of them in beta phases and done everything possible) but even I know that some people will still enjoy a game that has been given bad hype. Heck the diehard community of games I hate personally is proof of that alone. But, you. From what you provided me seem like you are the type of gamer who will enjoy those games, not saying anything is bad about you or anything. I am just saying that the gamer community is VERY diverse in both likes and dislikes. Some people like super heavy pvp focused games while other don't. Some actually prefer a game to be PTW (shocking but true) while others don't. And so on and so on forth. Don't just listen to 1 reviewer, always have a good source for both sides of the argument of said game because you never know, you might actually like that game. 

Any yeah. Oh, and by the way.. I am mostly a explorer type myself

Wildstar looks like just another wow wannabe, might as well play wow.

I hated eso with all my mind, heart and soul it's like playing TES lite and to actually do it right you have to play it like wow. The PVP may be wonderful but I'm not going to tolerate the rest of the game and a monthly fee for some RVR even if I loved it in Warhammer.

I have no idea or opinion about Elite Dangerous.

Over the last few years of trying the new MMO's I've come to the sad conclusion that I might as well play wow, some of those MMO's died out, some of them proved to be terrible disappointments and that's all because no one dares anymore no one wants to be Ultima Online(well Darkfall tried but fell flat on it's face.) they all want to have a quest-line, pve group content and progression. Archeage got close with it's sandbox part but the eternal queues and the fact you have to actually go through the questlines before doing anything shied me away. Meanwhile wow is there, and frankly it only gets better.

Loyalty is a typical thing that happens with any game and a problem with new mmos trying to start up. If you put months if not years of dedication towards something it is hard to really let go. I find myself playing games at times that I absolutely dispise such as World of Tanks (so many broken systems and no skill communitee) but i keep on coming back because i have top tier tanks i have ground for and put so much time into getting. I play wow right now as well but I am currently grinding for levels and skills so i can have level 90s when the next expansion comes out. True it is a boring grind but I am doing diffrent quest in diffrent areas and experiancing new lore which is still making it somewhat enjoyable so while it is a grind it is not a grind like some where if you do multiple characters it is the same crap over and over.

I played it a couple years ago and honestly I was not that impressed by it, maybe it is the new games with voiced characters but I just can't read text and get immersed.

Raiderz, Continent of ninth, Vindictus, Tera, Aion, and I will mention far more later.

Edit:

Anarchy Online, Forsaken world, Guild Wars 2, Perfect world, Path of exile, Age of Wushu.

Raiderz, Continent of ninth, Vindictus, Tera, Aion, and I will mention far more later.

Edit:

Anarchy Online, Forsaken world, Guild Wars 2, Perfect world, Path of exile, Age of Wushu.

tried aion, gw2, path of exile (tbh i dont count path of exile that as an mmorpg in the sense of what wow and GW2 are like) and um... yeah i dont like them, but for reasons unknown. gw2.... dunno really, i didnt particularly dislike anything, but didnt like anything in paricular so much that made want to continue playing it. 

aion was too asian to my tastes, too much soft delicate face type graphics for the characters. not that there's anything wrong with asian artistic styles... i just prefer a more westernized touch. so gameplay wise... well, i never got that far into it. the graphics style was what prevented me.

the other ones except path of exile i never tried. but i will look those ones up. thanks.

aion was too asian to my tastes, too much soft delicate face type graphics for the characters. not that there's anything wrong with asian artistic styles... i just prefer a more westernized touch. so gameplay wise... well, i never got that far into it. the graphics style was what prevented me.

Thing I hated most about Aion was the grinding you had to do to level up after level 24/25. It instantly brought back memories of MU Online and the complete grind of that "marvel". Also, it had too much of a focus on pvp, at least once you got out from the "leveling" zones and got into the "main" area where supposedly the meat of the game is. Admittedly I never played end game content as I never got that far. I had two months of game time since launch and I didn't feel like extending it. I was also still playing wow at that time.

As for Tera, well, if you're a creep or an extreme fapinator, then it's the perfect game for you! Granted, there are races that are actually okay, but in general all you'll see are nearly naked elves and what-not running around plus some little girl characters in skimpy outfits (Pedobear much?).

Vindictus was something I was actually looking forward to be brought to EU. After a while I lost interest because it took too long. All I know about the game is that it's based on the Source engine and is a hack'n'slash game with destructible environments (not Red Faction levels). The only part of "mmo" in that game are the hubs.

If your currently enjoying yourself in WoW then I would suggest trying to enjoy what your doing right now.  Sure other game may be a bit more fun or what not but in the end its about what your " enjoying " in the here and now.  Don't base what games you play on what others think.  I have found that A LOT of games others say are crap and not worth the time are quite enjoyable to me.

I played WoW from the Mara patch all the way into the second week of BC.  I personally have not went back in since, though I have been tempted plenty of times to go try it out again.  I currently enjoy GW2 and ESO for my mmo's, and Wasteland 2 for solo gaming.  All I know is that if any news I read in the coming future about WoW " brings back " the talent trees then I would most likely try getting back into it.  For now  I am enjoying what I have.  And if you really want to try out a variety of mmo's to see how they are head to steam they have a decent amount of free to play mmo's now, some are kind of WoW clones in a way others are in another category.

fridgeracer likes this

If your currently enjoying yourself in WoW then I would suggest trying to enjoy what your doing right now.  Sure other game may be a bit more fun or what not but in the end its about what your " enjoying " in the here and now.  Don't base what games you play on what others think.  I have found that A LOT of games others say are crap and not worth the time are quite enjoyable to me.

i would love to give ESO another try, all i did was 3 betas, about 12 hours worth of playtime and i mainly just ran around looking at everything.

what stops me bothering is the negative hype and press. i know that if i did try it, i would see people on the chat in game going "this sucks" and others going "quit if you don't like it" and so on. even if i turn it off, i will see it in guilds... groups for pvp or dungeons, or quest groups... can't escape it.

only reason im still playing wow, well now i am again, is for nostalgia. i am enjoying it, sort of... but i have this slight sense that some day soon i am gonna just give up again and leave it at that.

i know that if hotline miami 2 were to get released tomorrow... i would quit wow instantly again. if GTA 5 were to be out on PC, i would most likely be playing that. i doubt wow is back in the blood with me, i.e. playing hardcore for another 5 years, but it's back for the moment. even if it lasts a few more days... even if this is the very last time before i cancel my entire account... needed to revisit it.

in 2007 this game blew my mind. it was the single best gaming experience ever. i just wish another game would give me that feeling, and they never do.

i would love to give ESO another try, all i did was 3 betas, about 12 hours worth of playtime and i mainly just ran around looking at everything.

what stops me bothering is the negative hype and press. i know that if i did try it, i would see people on the chat in game going "this sucks" and others going "quit if you don't like it" and so on. even if i turn it off, i will see it in guilds... groups for pvp or dungeons, or quest groups... can't escape it.

only reason im still playing wow, well now i am again, is for nostalgia. i am enjoying it, sort of... but i have this slight sense that some day soon i am gonna just give up again and leave it at that.

i know that if hotline miami 2 were to get released tomorrow... i would quit wow instantly again. if GTA 5 were to be out on PC, i would most likely be playing that. i doubt wow is back in the blood with me, i.e. playing hardcore for another 5 years, but it's back for the moment. even if it lasts a few more days... even if this is the very last time before i cancel my entire account... needed to revisit it.

in 2007 this game blew my mind. it was the single best gaming experience ever. i just wish another game would give me that feeling, and they never do.

Wow - the most dangerous drug of them all. You can go clean for years, but the temptation will always be there.

I Just started playing WoW again(started for WoD after a cata break) with some real life friends and we made our own guild, I'm tank.  We also have some ajsa members in it. I'm having fun so far and if I would play another mmo i would probably get bored of that MMO in 2 weeks. We are on Tarren Mill EU you  can join if you want we already tried some flexibles with our guild. where not hardcore guild so. contact me: Bonegrinder#2447